• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican donor sues GOP for fraud over ObamaCare repeal failure

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Hill

A Republican donor in Virginia has filed a lawsuit against the national and Virginia Republican parties, accusing them of fraud and racketeering for raising millions of dollars in donations knowing they wouldn't be able to repeal ObamaCare.

The Virginian-Pilot reports that Bob Heghmann, a retired attorney in Virginia Beach, filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court on Thursday. The suit blasts the Republican Party, saying it "has been engaged in a pattern of Racketeering which involves massive fraud perpetrated on Republican voters and contributors as well as some Independents and Democrats."

The lawsuit's defendants include the Republican National Committee (RNC) and the Republican Party of Virginia, as well as Virginia's two members of the RNC and the chairman of the state Republican Party, John Whitbeck.

As part of his suit, Heghmann argues that the Republican Party does not hold the same protection that members of Congress have against being sued for failing to fulfill campaign promises. He wants the GOP to either threaten to withhold money from members of Congress if they don't repeal ObamaCare, or return contributions to donors.

mclem

I'd assume that if this were an option, they'd have been sued so often about not repealing abortion, surely?

giphy.webp

He wants the GOP to either threaten to withhold money from members of Congress if they don't repeal ObamaCare, or return contributions to donors.
Parties aren't obligated to do anything they promise to their contributors, or are they?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Assuming it makes it past the initial hearing, it's going to be difficult to prove they knew, while fundraising, that it would be impossible to repeal. Especially given the number of times they passed various repeal bills while Obama was president.

They definitely won't want it to make it to the discovery phase, as those private emails are probably really bad.

K-Gun

"I thought I paid you fucks for a reason! Give me back my money if you aren't going to do what I paid for."

And stuff like this right here is why the CBO score didn't matter to so many of them.

Even if this guy doesn't win, if the GOP doesn't accomplish what they said they would they are going to have a lot more difficulty raising money next time around.

We need to get money out of politics or the fuckery will continue

here's the real reason why the GOP was so stressed and desperate to pass a bill that everyone hated. they knew their donors are going to shit bricks if they don't.

I can get donating to the GOP because you're a greedy piece of human filth who wants to keep/grow your wealth, but to give the money because you just want to screw millions of people out of healthcare? That's just spiteful.

By the sound of the suit itself, it validates the fears of most Americans that laws are being bought and paid for by the rich (or at least that's the rich's perception of what campaign funding is for).

American political system is a fucking corrupt joke at this point where the rich throw aside all guise of playing by the rules and even sue when they believe their "bribe" hasn't come to fruition.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This just existing shows how fucked up money in politics is in he USA.

No way this lawsuit progresses.

KingV

On the one hand this suit is ridiculous on its face. On the other hand it's almost guaranteed that there are at least a few congressmen who think this suit is a good idea and stand behind it.

The judge is going to toss it then turn around and ask for a donation for his re-election for wich he promises to change the rules and allow such a stupid lawsuit.

American politics folks.

Did he just fucking think that they'd be able to snap their fingers and pass a law affecting millions?

Wait of course he did.

Top Bottom