• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: “Donors are furious” over the Republican's inability to repeal Obamacare

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

As more than 40 subdued Republican senators lunched on Chick-fil-A at a closed-door session last week, Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado painted a dire picture for his colleagues. Campaign fund-raising was drying up, he said, because of widespread disappointment among donors over the inability of the Republican Senate to repeal the Affordable Care Act or do much of anything else.

Mr. Gardner is in charge of his party’s midterm re-election push, and he warned that donors of all stripes were refusing to contribute another penny until the struggling majority produced some concrete results.

“Donors are furious,” one person knowledgeable about the private meeting quoted Mr. Gardner as saying. “We haven’t kept our promise.”
Addressing his anxious colleagues at their weekly meeting on Sept. 12, Mr. Gardner had a simple message: If we don’t have something to run on, we are going to squander this opportunity.

They said Mr. Gardner did not specifically urge approval of the so-called Graham-Cassidy health proposal that Republicans were considering bringing to the Senate floor next week. He was seen as speaking more generally and mainly looking forward to the coming debate over tax cuts.

But the fund-raising drought has become a growing worry and lawmakers have not been reticent about noting that their political fate could be tied to the outcome on health care and how Senate Republicans handle other issues ahead.
Smear me if old.

RoKKeR

No shit.

Why do you think they tried to sneak this turd through before the Sep. 30 deadline?

The fact that it's looking like another failure pleases me greatly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I want to know who these donors are so I can never give them a single dime ever again in terms of business.

Beartruck

Lose-lose: They don't repeal it, they have no money and the democrats cream them. They do repeal it and voter fury will lead to democrats creaming them.

Good. Things aren't so great, and shit isn't getting done, especially when you've got ultra-conservatives in office now, huh.

I want to know who these donors are so I can never give them a single dime ever again in terms of business.

The Koch Brothers and the NRA are a start. I sure hope you don't give those people your money already anyway.

Xe4

Banned
Play shitty games, win shitty prizes. Don't promise something just to get reelected. Actually mean it. Oh, and maybe don't have it cause tens of millions to go without healthcare?

Kensation

tumblr_lzhvxyamA11qbj2hso1_400.gif

Zubz

Banned
tumblr_nd94uiH6dK1qhjbxeo2_500.gif

Maybe killing millions for a tax break wasn't as easy as it initially sounded, huh?

The Koch Brothers and the NRA are a start. I sure hope you don't give those people your money already anyway.

It's kind of hard to avoid giving the former your money, but I'll be proud of someone who can completely pull it off.

You know you have a shitty government when donors (people who donated money to campaigns or people running for office) demand and want legislation passed for their money.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
They're fucked either way. Don't repeal Obamacare and lose donor support as well as the voter support of those well off. Repeal Obamacare and get blasted by the portion of your electorate that benefits from Obamacare and lose their support on the way to midterms and 2020. Obamacare has helped A LOT of people. Many of them Republican voters. You can't just take that shit away and not expect repercussions.

The position they're in would be funny if it weren't so serious and grave. Their donors are literally asking them to openly hurt many of the people who vote for them.

JettDash

Too bad for them that McCain, Paul, and Murkowski aren't up for reelection until 2022, and Susan Collins 2020.

Aselith

I'm not so sure it's necessarily Obamacare so much as they haven't been able to do ANYTHING at all. Like I feel that the Obamacare repeal wouldn't have been so bad if they pushed passed the L and moved on to implementing more legislation that the donors would care about. They've failed to produce literally anything all year.

2018 GOP primaries are gonna be a bloodbath, aren't they? More sitting GOP Congressmen/Senators are gonna lose their seats in those then they will in the general.

It's kind of hard to avoid giving the former your money, but I'll be proud of someone who can completely pull it off.

Yeah the Koch's own so much business, they even own the Republicans, which we all know already. I'm sure I even own a few things that the Koch's were once involved too, it's crazy. Anyone who doesn't buy anything Koch related is probably a saint in my books, lol.

Zubz

Banned
You know you have a shitty government when donors (people who donated money to campaigns or people running for office) demand and want legislation passed for their money.

Yup. We've known this has been happening behind the scenes, but it's depressing to see how flagrant it has gotten.

Republican donors could stuff their money in my butt and it would be more effective than giving it to the psychotic children running that party.

JettDash

Who would have thunk that trying to take healthcare away from tens of millions and giving the money to rich people would be so unpopular?

It's funny how many conservative nutjobs yell about Soros and the "shadow government" (I guess being run by Obama? LOL...) but fail to see the shadowy ass figures running their party.

Who would have thunk that trying to take healthcare away from tens of millions and giving the money to rich people would be so unpopular?
Certainly not the creature in your avatar!

JettDash

It's funny how many conservative nutjobs yell about Soros and the "shadow government" (I guess being run by Obama? LOL...) but fail to see the shadowy ass figures running their party.

I've been told that the Kochs are heroes.

Some people live in an Ayn Rand fantasy world where two of the richest people in the world attempting to fuck everyone else over makes them heroes.

Good.

Just need to make it to October for now.

The fun thing is even if they get their shitty tax reform bill passed next year, they'll probably also have to do that by reconciliation, and can't use it for healthcare again. This was their only chance, and that's what they really want.

But that sure as hell isn't what their base wants. What was their slogan for the last seven years? Repeal and replace? Or fail on that, but hey, we gave some asshole millionaires some more tax cuts. Take that Oblamber!

Yup. We've known this has been happening behind the scenes, but it's depressing to see how flagrant it has gotten.

The supreme court's ruling on Citizen's United threw the doors open to funnel as much money as possible into politics and made it perfectly normal for companies and rich individuals to buy laws. It's the worst thing to happen to our government in as long as I can remember and I'm not sure it will ever be over turned in my lifetime.

As an outsider ( i'm not from USA ) , i'll just say this.

This pathetic last ditch attempt need to fail so that you guys can talk about other things in your politics.
it's seriously ridiculous.
You have a bunch a thing to talk about , yet they keep trying in a hurry and failing harder each time.
everyone in your congress look pathetic as a result

Top Bottom