• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

Whelp, I just funded $100 to the cause. I thought only Americans could fund stuff before on the site, but realized a little while ago that was not true, so I decided to fund this as my first project. :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love that image. Wish there was a 1920x1080 version.

I want link too

Here you go, I should have done this from the beginning. Thanks and sorry for the spam

rep_fanart_wp.jpg

sixghost

Yes, exactly. That's why I didn't back this project. I'm excited about the game and think it looks awesome. I'll almost certainly purchase it when it comes out. However, I still think it's kind of an abuse of what Kickstarter's really about, which is kick-starting projects that otherwise wouldn't have been able to see the light of day.

Why have you decided that is the only valid use of Kickstarter? I would argue that providing a developer with a decent amount of money up front to allow them to increase the scope of the game, put them in a stronger position when meeting with publishers, or allow them to retain their IP are all just as valid.

You can't really talk about Kickstarter like that when it comes to game development. We aren't funding the manufacturing costs of a watch or iPhone dock that are already designed and just need money to be made material.

strem

Wow good on ya guys. You stayed out there and adapted. Now go make one fucking awesome game. Congrats

PS
I thought there was no way in hell that you would make it. I was wrong

jett

D-Member
"Why is your company called Camouflaj?"

"it's a secret!"

yeah i'm sure it has nothing to do with you wanting to establish a nebulous link to the metal gear franchise

Salaadin

"Why is your company called Camouflaj?"

"it's a secret!"

yeah i'm sure it has nothing to do with you wanting to establish a nebulous link to the metal gear franchise

Didnt he already say this was part of the reason way back when he formed the studio?

iavi

Congrats, Camoflaj! Really excited to see more big games actually take advantage of the Idevices' idiosyncrasies, rather than slap touch-buttons on and call it a day.

I seriously don't understand this.

Do these people just not READ the actual page? Are they completely unfamiliar with what is going on here? Most Kickstarters ARE just a collection of ideas (why no similar comments directed at those?), but that IS NOT THE CASE with Republique.

The game exists, is playable, and has had a lot of work put into it well before the Kickstarter was launched. They are one of the only groups to actually put in the effort before asking for money.

That's not entirely true. Carmageddon was already in development long before the team leader started asking for a little bit more capital on Kickstarter. Also Leisure Suit Larry, and the Banner Saga (they seemed to have put a lot of preliminary work into their game) and a nice looking X-Com clone called Xenonauts all all were in development before the developers started asking for additional funding.

But yeah, I suppose it is hard to find an original creation on Kickstarter that isn't more than just a collection of vague ideas. The developers at Camoflaj did show off more than a couple pieces of concept art and proposed ideas. They did show a working prototype of the game and stated very clearly that it would borrow ideas from metal Gear Solid and a bit from Resident Evil.

Their game may not be the highest bastion of originality, but if they can execute the concept well with the team they have, then it doesn't really matter how original it is. Most games conceptually aren't very original to begin with, when you strip them down to the sum of their parts (Metal Gear Solid is a prime example of this).

But if team Camoflaj can prove to make a good game with the funding they were given, then that is great. Fresh new development teams are always a good thing in helping prevent stagnation in the industry.

dailypledges.png

Oh damn! They literally raked in more than $100K on the last day! I assumed this game would hit its funding goal, but I didn't expect it to surpass $500k by a great deal. And this isn't even a full 24 hour time frame! That's crazy!

wondermega

shocked. shocked. shocked.

This is not a bad thing. I am just truly, completely surprised. I have to read through the last several pages of this thread to get a clearer idea of what happened here.

I had been contemplating doing a kickstarter for my own iOS/Android/PC game for some time now, and for many reasons had been leaning against it. As a result I am not paying anyone and development is atrociously s-l-o-w. I am thinking that now I will very likely give it a try. Why the hell not! I'll finish the game either way, it's the difference between completing it this year vs next year I bet.

Anyway huge, huge congrats to the Republique team. There's a lot of people eating their damned hats right now!

SickBoy

I'm convinced that what they're trying to do with Republique is possible (offer a "AAA" experience on iOS), but based on what I've seen I'm not sure that it's going to be the game to do it.

It's cool to see that they raised the money, though...

By adding the number of backers.
But how do you know which backers are for iOS and which ones are for Desktop?

I backed it at a price point that gets me both but I'm supporting it mostly because it's an iOS game so where does my backing fit into your figures? And there are a few price points where they get to choose between iOS or Desktop versions.

I just don't understand how you happened upon this info when I didn't even have the opportunity to enter my platform of preference.

And how did you determine that?

2281 BACKERS
DIGITAL iOS EDITION: République for iOS. (iPhone4&up,iPodTouch 4&up, iPad 1 & up)

2545 BACKERS
DIGITAL DESKTOP EDITION: République for PC or Mac.

532 BACKERS
DIGITAL iOS EDITION+ : République for iOS, digital soundtrack and documentary series

610 BACKERS
DIGITAL DESKTOP EDITION+ : République for PC or Mac, digital soundtrack and documentary series.

2545>2281
610 >532

wondermega

I'm convinced that what they're trying to do with Republique is possible (offer a "AAA" experience on iOS), but based on what I've seen I'm not sure that it's going to be the game to do it.

It doesn't matter too much. They proved a point and history was made. Odds are not wonderful that they'll provide the definitive AAA game experience, but they get to do a big project their way and establish themselves as a viable studio now. Even if the game doesn't light the world on fire, they have way more opportunity to do bigger things (and at their own discretion now) than they would have otherwise, and that's really good news for them and the people who support them. I think it's a foregone conclusion that the game will make money, either way.

Top Bottom