• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
But how do you know which backers are for iOS and which ones are for Desktop?

I backed it at a price point that gets me both but I'm supporting it mostly because it's an iOS game so where does my backing fit into your figures?

Well, I'm not the one who's using the logic, I'm just explaining it.

There are specific packages for iOS and specific packages for PC. The PC edition reward package backer numbers are consistently larger than the iOS in every prize category. It's fuzzy math, but I can see the logic behind it.

Nice.

One more time, just for nostalgia:

ibrF9adjAgL5uH.PNG

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Sooo close to getting 555,555. It was actually over that for a bit, but then dropped to 555,497, then back up to 555,512 after the deadline. Not sure how that works.

Omikaru

A big cheer to all novery and all of Camouflaj. Biggest Kickstarter comeback I've seen, and on a project I've been very passionate about too.

Awesome!

mclem

Sooo close to getting 555,555. It was actually over that for a bit, but then dropped to 555,497, then back up to 555,512 after the deadline. Not sure how that works.

If you start the backing process before the deadline, it lets you finish it.

Zen

Banned
Sure sure I'm surprised it got funded, but the fact that they got over 50 thousand freaking dollars past their goal is really impressive. Talk about a turnaround.

Eusis

Eh, hes backtracked now, saying that since the game has changed so much that he was still right, yadda yadda yadda
I have to admit, the switch to PC/Mac probably was the key to getting it to reach 500k at all... but did he say that AFTER the PC/Mac versions were announced?

2281 BACKERS
DIGITAL iOS EDITION: République for iOS. (iPhone4&up,iPodTouch 4&up, iPad 1 & up)

2545 BACKERS
DIGITAL DESKTOP EDITION: République for PC or Mac.

2545>2281

That's split pretty evenly down the middle. But it does veer more into the desktop side. Also, you have to wonder how many iOS only pledger's upgraded to this tier?:

2305 Backers: iOS + DESKTOP EDITION: République for both iOS and PC or Mac.

2281 BACKERS
DIGITAL iOS EDITION: République for iOS. (iPhone4&up,iPodTouch 4&up, iPad 1 & up)

2545 BACKERS
DIGITAL DESKTOP EDITION: République for PC or Mac.

532 BACKERS
DIGITAL iOS EDITION+ : République for iOS, digital soundtrack and documentary series

610 BACKERS
DIGITAL DESKTOP EDITION+ : République for PC or Mac, digital soundtrack and documentary series.

2545>2281
610 >532
2310 BACKERS
iOS + DESKTOP EDITION: République for both iOS and PC or Mac.

500 BACKERS
DIGITAL COMBO EDITION+ : République for both iOS and PC/Mac, digital soundtrack and documentary series.

828 BACKERS
INTELLIGENTSIA EDITION: République Journal, a book designed as an innovative game companion for those seeking the "complete experience," the République game for the platform of your choice, digital soundtrack and documentary series.

615 BACKERS
INTELLIGENTSIA EDITION+ : République Journal, the game for both iOS and PC or Mac, digital soundtrack and documentary series.

102 BACKERS
PROTECTOR EDITION: High-quality République iPhone case, République Journal, the game for the platform of your choice, digital soundtrack and documentary series. (Additional $10 pledge for int'l shipping, please.)

694 BACKERS
COLLECTOR'S EDITION: République game for both iOS and PC or Mac, Journal, CD soundtrack, DVD documentary all contained inside the "Overseer's Manifesto" collectable packaging, plus your name in the credits. (Additional $10 pledge for int'l shipping, please.)

205 BACKERS
COLLECTOR'S EDITION+ : République iPhone case, plus the previous reward tier.(Additional $10 pledge for int'l shipping, please.)

57 BACKERS
Limited-run République poster exclusive to Kickstarter backers, plus all previous reward tiers.

33 BACKERS
Limited-run République T-shirt exclusive to Kickstarter backers, plus all previous reward tiers.

75 BACKERS
Limited-run République hoody exclusive to Kickstarter backers, plus all previous reward tiers.

21 BACKERS
Limited-run République poster signed by Alexei, Ryan, Jennifer Hale, David Hayter, and other key contributors, plus all previous reward tiers.

15 BACKERS
Your name in the game world and integrated into the fiction, plus all previous reward tiers.

3 BACKERS • Limited Reward (7 of 10 remaining)
Your face in the game world and integrated into the fiction, plus all previous reward tiers.

1 BACKER
Your voice in the game and integrated into the fiction, plus all previous reward tiers.

2 BACKERS • Limited Reward (3 of 5 remaining)
We'll fly you out to Camouflaj HQ, have you play the entire game, give feedback to the team, then go out for a nice dinner on the house. (Plus all previous reward tiers.)
This means the amount of backers (including myself) that aren't a part of your figures is 5461. These people are at price points where they either have a choice between the two versions or they are getting both of them. I was in because of the iOS version but I figured what the hell, why not get the desktop version too and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Add that to the fact that the difference between desktop and iOS backers is not very large at all and you can see why I initially asked where you got this data from.

Caelestis

I am happy to see this got funded. It seemed pretty hopeless not so long ago. Hope the game will turn out to be fun when they're done with it.

Card Boy

Banned
Focus your attention on the Grim Dawn Kickstarter now. They deserve it more than Ryan and his team (based on their history and bad luck with Titan Quest)

Omikaru

Kickstarter works. Game publishers have something to be concerned!! Finally!!

I think that's pushing it a bit. Tim Schafer summed it up best (and this is purely me paraphrasing it): If you've ever wanted a game to exist, but some guy in a suit who controls the money says no, you now have another way get that game.

It's a wonderful thing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and call it a disruptive force that's going to change the industry as we know it. If anything, it's going to be a cool bit on the side that makes gaming more enjoyable for everyone.

MrBud360

The main problem is, Kickstarter needs more publicity. Casual people need to know about this. If we have a Kickstarter page at the XBox Live or PSN or Steam, maybe things would start to change.

$20 went through.

Getting an ios and pc version of a game for $20 with top tier VA? Pretty neat deal for 'AAA game', even if the game doesn't turn out to be too hot.

Omikaru

The main problem is, Kickstarter needs more publicity. Casual people need to know about this. If we have a Kickstarter page at the XBox Live or PSN or Steam, maybe things would start to change.

Most people, especially casual gamers, wouldn't pay for months (or even over a year) in advance for a game on Kickstarter.

Kickstarter -- in the gaming space, at least -- really is for niche projects tailored towards gaming enthusiasts. And that's not me saying that Kickstarter games will do badly once they go on general sale, but that getting them funded in the first place is hard because businessmen are worried they won't get a return on their investment. The sad truth is, however, that most of gaming's surprise hits (such as Minecraft) are born out of crazy concepts that your average publisher wouldn't think of underwriting. I think Kickstarter is a great way to see more of these hits, because the people who initially buy into these niche projects are sometimes ahead of the curve on these things.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I quite honestly think that Hodapp was the sole reason this actually ended up getting funded.

Maybe that was his goal all along.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nice. I took my pledge after I saw they reached the goal, since my bank account is short on cash, but I'm really glad they made it and will buy my PC copy when it's out.

I don't think Kickstarter will have any problems attracting main stream attention. But I don't imagine gaming will be the thing that drives the sites popularity. Even though some of the largest funded projects on KS are games, I think it will be projects like the Pebble Watch that will drive the site to mainstream popularity.

I think that's pushing it a bit. Tim Schafer summed it up best (and this is purely me paraphrasing it): If you've ever wanted a game to exist, but some guy in a suit who controls the money says no, you now have another way get that game.

yeah, that seems about right. I don't picture this as being a replacement for traditional publishers, nor will become the de facto way to fund a game. But KS has proven that it can be a good workaround for indie developers who can't seem to get funding through any other means.

Top Bottom