• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpliskin

I guess I'll start.

Sooo, rerendered or filters ?

Entirely possible if they have the original assets:

resident-evil.jpg

Pandy

Why would a Nintendo console exclusive game come out for a Nintendo console?

Wait...
There's a Wii version, so the game is currently playable on WiiU.

So, of all systems, in this case the WiiU is the one where the 'lazy last-gen remaster' actually applies. Having access to a SD version of the game probably reduces the number of HD copies Capcom projected they could sell.

Ill still be playing the ps3 then. Does that make me a bad gamer?

I'm pretty sure someone is hurting kittens and puppies because of you!

Seriously though, my 360 is staying hooked up to my tv for a long time even with my PS4 being here. I got too many games to play no matter the generation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's a Wii version, so the game is currently playable on WiiU.

So, of all systems, in this case the WiiU is the one where the 'lazy last-gen remaster' actually applies. Having access to a SD version of the game probably reduces the number of HD copies Capcom projected they could sell.

Huh I didn't know they made a Wii version

KyleCross

I guess I'll start.

Sooo, rerendered or filters ?

Entirely possible if they have the original assets:

resident-evil.jpg

Most likely filtered. They most likely lost the original 3D models for 0 just like they did REmake. 0 only came out a year later, so it was probably still in that period of developers not archiving their assets.

Gren

Nice. Bought the original for my old man to play, but never got around to trying it myself (for one because it wasn't all that well-received, and for another because he kept hogging the GC). Will try it out when it drops.

People who've never played this are going to be disappointed methinks. You can feel mikamis absence in a big way. It's a reasonable game, but following on the heels of remake, it's positively mediocre by comparison.

I'm ok with this because Capcom at least knows how to price these things.

I don't remember liking or hating this game all that much back in the day, but I remember thinking it maybe got a little more hate than it deserves. Rebecca and Billy are pretty dull though. Cool for people who haven't played it I guess!

RE_Player

Ill still be playing the ps3 then. Does that make me a bad gamer?
Yup that is exactly what I said... Calm down dude, notice I only commented on the 360? The PS3 seems to have much longer legs than the 360, especially in Japan and emerging markets when compared to the 360, and the PS3 version got a physical release so I am by no means surprised that a PS3 version is in development for 2016.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Easily the weakest of the old-skool RE's, I'll probably play through it again though. I will forgive Capcom for RE6 if they put item boxes into this version of RE0

Hot damn @ those image comparisons and the gif. It almost looks too good to be simple upscaled/filtered stuff. I won't get my hopes up for actual source material for the whole game, though. It's obviously too much to hope that companies actually store works that took millions of dollars to produce alone.

Taruranto

I feel sorry for people who are going in blind expecting anything close to REmake.

I feel sorry for people who are going blind expecting also a good game.

hatchx

Banned
If they added in co-op somehow that'd be amazing.

Visual upgrade looks good, better than the REmake upgrade if memory serves.

Cool, not the best classic Resi, but still better than most AAA games released today.

If they can somehow work co-op in it'd be a massive improvement, though I have no idea if that'd even be possible.

Hot damn @ those image comparisons and the gif. It almost looks too good to be simple upscaled/filtered stuff. I won't get my hopes up for actual source material for the whole game, though. It's obviously too much to hope that companies actually store works that took millions of dollars to produce alone.

Going by REmake HD, they didn't save much if any of the original assets. Judging by this screenshot they found some RE0 stuff though. So that's weird.

Reebot

If they added in co-op somehow that'd be amazing.

Visual upgrade looks good, better than the REmake upgrade if memory serves.

They can't really, you'd have hours of one player or the hour literally standing around doing nothing at best.

jerry1594

Great. Amazing. Now do Project Justice HD.
Cool, not the best classic Resi, but still better than most AAA games released today.

If they can somehow work co-op in it'd be a massive improvement, though I have no idea if that'd even be possible.
There's Outbreak for that. I never played them though so I can't say if online co-op is anything more than a novelty.

hatchx

Banned
They can't really, you'd have hours of one player or the hour literally standing around doing nothing at best.

It would only really work in local play, your friend could just run around and grab herbs or something.

It'd probably be easy to program in.

Reebot

Other than its terrible pacing Zero's biggest problem is the villain. Its just so dumb and really not Resident Evil. I don't want to get into any spoilers or whatever just in case but, really Capcom writers - this is what you got?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know why people are surprised by this, the fact this was next in the pipeline was leaked by Capcom themselves accidentally even before REmake's HD Remaster released.

Resident Evil Zero is neither as bad as some make it out to be or close to the best classic RE game. As a person who plays a lot of horror games of all eras and have played a large number of RE-clones, I can say this game is better than many of the clones and has many of the elements that makes RE stand-out from the pack. However, it also has the weakest monster assortment in the series, and a few mechanics that really bug some people (the item box being gone and just dropping items wherever, the tag-team character dynamic). The story is also the start of the series going kind of off-the-rails from enjoyable to a bit sci-fi-y weird, and the villain is a bit... Odd, to say the least.

It is a really gorgeous game though, it was back then and it still stands-up today (was much more animated than REmake), has some pretty good music (not series best, but it's good), some decent puzzles (I say its somewhere in the middle for puzzles in the old RE games). Billy and Rebecca are love them/hate them characters (I'm in the love them crowd), and the rest of it is pretty much older RE standard. Those that treat Zero like its marginally worse than the rest of the older games I think are being too extreme about it. It's not as good (in my opinion) as RE1-3, but I would say it's not THAT MUCH worse than them, and better than a lot of the RE-clones out there.

Bioshocker

I think RE Zero is far behind the RE; RE2 and RE C:V so I would've preferred a remaster of RE2 or RE C:V. It's not like REZ looks bad either. But I guess it's much easier to remaster a Gamecube game than a PlayStation game.

Oh well. I guess this is not the last remaster we'll see from Capcom.

Galdelico

Well, it doesn't look bad at all, judging by that screenshot.
I can only hope this remaster will look more cohesive - visually speaking - than REHD... I genuinely couldn't pass over its fluctuations in backgrounds' quality.

Also, is it me or they remodeled Rebecca after the original Resident Evil actress?

Image2-1_zpsrm9bzoz8.jpg

Bl@de

No surprise. They will remaster 0 like REmake with some filters and the new controls ... and that will be it. There will be no Resident Evil 2 Remake. That would need a lot more ressources and is a bigger risk. Stop dreaming like Final Fantasy 7 fans. Capcom will just continue with RE7 (CoD style) and Revelations 3 after that.

EDIT: Also: 0 has good gameplay (just like REmake) but the story and everything as a prequel is bad. All in all it's one of the worst classic RE titles. Nothing to be hype...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom