• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skeeter49

What I'm worried about is them messing up Claire.
That opening with Claire will probably have her pull off an Eva moment from MGS3 with the motorcycle and zombies.

Jawmuncher

What I'm worried about is them messing up Claire.
That opening with Claire will probably have her pull off an Eva moment from MGS3 with the motorcycle and zombies.

At first I thought this would be able the actor scanning. Then I got to the second part.
Can't say that'd mess up Claire. She was always a badass with a motherly side. Messing up Claire would be her not giving two fucks about Sherry.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
After Rev 2 and RE7 I really thought Capcom was over this over the top bullshit but yesterday I saw Vendetta with Chris dodging bullets and stuff...

Why can't they just keep the characters realistic? :-/

Jawmuncher

After Rev 2 and RE7 I really thought Capcom was over this over the top bullshit but yesterday I saw Vendetta with Chris dodging bullets and stuff...

Every game is canon. RE4, RE5, RE6, CVX and so on.
You're asking for realism in RE when even RE7 forgoes that. Aside from that Leon, Chris, and co are now Hero Character's. They've dealt with this shit numerous times. They're not gonna just regress in their skill.

Like damn I get you don't have to like it. But the entire series as a whole does not need to regress into all being horror and realistic. Especially when the games themselves are about viruses that can turn people into monsters.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Except for, ya know, preserving what the game was originally.

That's not the point of a remake.

Hahaha but it is not classic Resident Evil without pre rendered backgrounds

Code: Veronica was classic Resident Evil though.

Sure, but it's one of the lesser ones, and the backgrounds look worse than 3, REmake and 0.

C:V is definitely one of the best in the series. Though yes, REmake and 0 look better, that's a bit of an unfair comparison given the 2+ year difference in release and coming out on a more powerful console.

(We'll agree to disagree on looking worse than 3.)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Every game is canon. RE4, RE5, RE6, CVX and so on.
You're asking for realism in RE when even RE7 forgoes that. Aside from that Leon, Chris, and co are now Hero Character's. They've dealt with this shit numerous times. They're not gonna just regress in their skill.

Like damn I get you don't have to like it. But the entire series as a whole does not need to regress into all being horror and realistic. Especially when the games themselves are about viruses that can turn people into monsters.
Yeah, I'm aware that they'll probably not going to scale back now (especially with the already established characters) but still... No harm in wishing.

I guess this kind of character evolution is kind of "natural" though in action games/movies. Let's just hope they keep Leon and Claire normal in the Remake though as they're both still rookies at that point of the events.

ZeoVGM

Banned
How do you explain Shadow of the Colossus then?

I said it's not the point of a remake. It's the choice of the developer. You can do more of a 1:1 remake like SotC or you can do a full reimagining like FFVII.

And to clarify, the game can preserve the feeling of the original game even if it's quite different.

But it's also a bit disingenuous to compare a remake of Shadow of the Colossus, a 10-year-old fully 3D game, to a remake of Resident Evil 2, a 20-year-old game with pre-rendered backgrounds.

The older a game is, the most expected it is that there will be larger differences with a remake, especially when that game is 2D.

There will always be a group of people who are unhappy with either choice Capcom makes. The difference is, for those who want it to play and look nearly the same, you can always play the original.

Skeeter49

You guys were dreaming to big with TGS.

TGS is where trash like Umbrella Corps is shown off.

2 Remake is guaranteed at a western event.

Do you guys think crimson heads will carry over in 2?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
But it's also a bit disingenuous to compare a remake of Shadow of the Colossus, a 10-year-old fully 3D game, to a remake of Resident Evil 2, a 20-year-old game with pre-rendered backgrounds.

I'd be 100% OK with REmake 2 doing the same thing as what the SotC remake seems to be doing: The exact same game with nicer graphics. Refinements similar to what was added to REmake would just be the cherry on top. Fuck I'd be happy if all they added was the quick turn (actually was that in the N64 version?).

To be fair, what game after Remake would they have made sense in?

I guess it depends if this is only a remake of 2, or a sequel to Remake.

I think the RPD is just long enough to accommodate Crimson Heads, maybe only in 3 or 4 corridors though. Woudn't be anywhere near as effective as in REmake but would be a nice addition. They would have been great in RE7.

Nope.
I think Crimson Heads are done with. Only REmake and ORC ever used them.

Eh, they are a good addition to a REmake but don't seem like a great idea if you look at the ideology for 4,5,6.
7 could have maybe reused the mechanic but zombies weren't in.
REV1 and 2 are probably the ones where something similar should have been included like that.

Maybe 2 could include Crimson Heads and even something else of that tier....

Crimson Licker

Kazuhira

Nope.
I think Crimson Heads are done with. Only REmake and ORC ever used them.

I don't see why not,it's still the same virus from Remake.
Bloodshots from 6 are the C-virus equivalent of Crimson Heads too,so i guess they still like that concept.

Crimson Heads would be redundant if they went for RE4-style at least. Another point against it.

Why would they be redundant?

Sesha

Crimson Heads would be redundant if they went for RE4-style at least. Another point against it.

C:V is definitely one of the best in the series. Though yes, REmake and 0 look better, that's a bit of an unfair comparison given the 2+ year difference in release and coming out on a more powerful console.

(We'll agree to disagree on looking worse than 3.)

Can't say I agree. C:V was my second RE after 3 that I owned, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I don't think it holds up. Andhen I say REmake and 0 look better, I mean waaaay better. Like, start of gen vs. end of gen-sized difference.

(Veronica is technically better, but artistically it looks worse than 3 imo)

kromeo

Crimson spiders in the sewers.

I hope they add some stuff to increase the difficulty, the original was by far the easiest game in the series

I said it's not the point of a remake. It's the choice of the developer. You can do more of a 1:1 remake like SotC or you can do a full reimagining like FFVII.

And to clarify, the game can preserve the feeling of the original game even if it's quite different.

The older a game is, the most expected it is that there will be larger differences with a remake, especially when that game is 2D.

There will always be a group of people who are unhappy with either choice Capcom makes. The difference is, for those who want it to play and look nearly the same, you can always play the original.

Fair point for sure. I feel like REmake felt very, very different from the original, despite the only five or so years in between release. It's amazing how they expanded the mansion and surrounding areas without anything feeling at all out of place. I question wheather they can pull it off as gracefully as Mikami and co did.

In terms of movement, at worst I'd be ok with the Code Veronica approach... I feel like if they made it over the shoulder camera following you everywhere it basically becomes a completely different game. First person works for the genre, as much of RE7 proved, but a lot of the appeal of the RE2 is in it's main characters. Not being able to see them would be detrimental. We'll see what happens though.

Nerrel

One of those groups has been asking for a faithful remake before "action RE" was even a thing. I think it would be pretty shitty to take one of the few opportunities for a real survival horror RE game away from the fans who have been wanting that for so many years, just for the sake of putting out yet another over the shoulder game. If people don't like the gameplay or RE2 for what it was... I don't see why they should have the same weight in the argument as the fans that actually do love the game. If a choice has to be made, it's clearly the original fans who deserve this remake.

The problem with playing the original is that it's extremely dated, to the point where it doesn't have the kind of impact it should. The environments are only so immersive and the characters are only so convincing when everything is a mess of pixels and polygons. REmake didn't change much about the core gameplay, and yet it felt like a different game because having a modern, believable presentation makes such a huge difference for a horror game like this. When you go outside to the guardhouse in REmake, you can practically feel the dampness of the air and the breeze; it's hard to get that kind of atmosphere out of the PS1 visuals of the original. I can't help but wonder what scenes like this could be like given the same treatment:
gfs_45372_2_131.jpg

You can still radically change and improve the gameplay even while doing a straightforward remake, as REmake demonstrated beyond any argument. So I don't think that saying "you can just play the original" really holds up, since the original is not at all the same experience as what a REmake style overhaul would be.

So if they were going to show something at TGS, would it have happened already?

Considering Capcom likes to show only one flagship franchise per conference, I wouldn't be surprised if REmake 2 isn't shown off until E3 2018.

PSX will undoubtedly be where Itsuno's next game is announced.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just want to ask a small question .. start a small mini poll if you will.

How many people in this topic have played through the Outbreak games, specifically Outbreak Part 2 ? That game had one level set in the RPD during the height of the Raccoon City infection. It rendered a good bunch of the RE2 areas in 3D.

What did you guys think of it ? Would you want a remake to be more like that ?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

It would be weird for Vendetta to be realistic considering how Degeneration and Damnation were.

It shouldn't take more than 2 years to remake a game that's already been made with modern technology and the amount of staff Capcom has.

Something's gone wrong with the dev process and they aren't telling us.

kromeo

It shouldn't take more than 2 years to remake a game that's already been made with modern technology and the amount of staff Capcom has.

I doubt there were many staff working on it until RE7 was finished

synce

Rest assured it's being outsourced to a cheaper studio. And yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, something went wrong there. It probably looks like shit and they're trying to fix it, or they quietly cancelled it.

Rest assured it's being outsourced to a cheaper studio. And yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, something went wrong there. It probably looks like shit and they're trying to fix it, or they quietly cancelled it.

It's being outsourced to a cheaper studio??

How do you know this?

It takes time to remake RE2 with modern looking visuals in the style of RE4-6. And obviously with the change in perspective and controls, they'll need to rework the encounters and AI to account for the TPS view, so that will also take some time. Have a bit more patience.

Though, if you wanted/expected REmake 2 to be done in the style of REmake, then yes, 2 years without a single updated is a long time. And that should tell you something.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...il-2-remake-to-be-best-looking-entry-to-date/

Our source is of the opinion that the game will be revealed at E3 next month, but they don’t know this for sure. This is based on their speculation given the targeted release timeframe. As with any rumor or leak, even one we’re confident enough to report on, take everything with a grain of salt.

According to our source, the Resident Evil 2 Remake will run on the RE Engine, but it’s been significantly optimized and upgraded with new tech, including an impressive revamped lighting and shadow system. It’s aiming for a solid 30fps at 1080p on a standard PS4 and 60fps at native 4k on a PS4 Pro. The engine loads different resolutions each time you enter a room, so some rooms may not always be native 4k, and assets may be dynamically scaled to keep it easy on the hardware. That said, the game will be the first Resident Evil title designed with a 4k resolution in mind, making it the best looking Capcom game to date, and it may be able to seriously compete with games like God of War in terms of visuals [Edit: GoW line is author’s speculation, not a statement from our source].

It uses photogrammetry scanning like Resident Evil 7 before it, meaning we may get to see a nearly photorealistic Raccoon City. Capcom apparently took note of fans’ confusion over RE7‘s version of Chris, though, because a great deal of effort has gone into making the characters look more like their original game counterparts. No word on Leon’s hair color yet, but we should get to see every glorious strand in 4k. As for Claire, we’ve also learned that she will sport a different outfit — ostensibly to modernize her very 90s fashion sensibilities — while retaining some similarities.

The game’s perspective has been a point of contention among fans, with some hoping for the classic fixed camera angles from the original to stay intact. With the success of Resident Evil 7, a first-person perspective seemed like a real possibility. Instead, it sounds like Capcom has taken inspiration from the popularity of Resident Evil 4‘s over-the-shoulder camera. According to our source, the remake has been primarily designed with a camera akin to Resident Evil 4 in mind but a bit “stylized” in execution. Whether that means it will still incorporate the classic fixed camera somehow remains to be seen. If they’re looking to compromise, we could see fixed camera angles while traversing Raccoon City and an over-the-shoulder perspective when aiming, but that’s purely my own speculation. Regardless, the game will keep its horror focus and classic Resident Evil design elements intact, according to our source.

Finally, our source says the game’s development brought in outside contractors who had worked on the series previously, including people who worked on Resident Evil 2 and 4. It will include campaigns for both Leon and Claire, but the game will overall be much longer than the original with lots of new content and areas.
I just posted this link in another thread. I think it deserves it's own thread. Wanna make one for it with some bullet points of the main points?

Those shots did cross my mind, I'd be down for that.
Yeah it's hard to know what it's like till we see it. It could even be a more movement oriented camera that pans out while you move forward for a cinematic feel. Almost like Resident Evil Code Veronica.

We will see.

Top Bottom