• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BTails

The main reason I would push for prerendered backgrounds is that on a smaller budget, which I would assume REmake 2 has, they offer a lot more "bang for your buck". I don't disagree that real-time environments can look absolutely stunning, but there's no way REmake 2 has a budget like Uncharted 4. I think the money would go farther if they went the prerendered route.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The main reason I would push for prerendered backgrounds is that on a smaller budget, which I would assume REmake 2 has, they offer a lot more "bang for your buck". I don't disagree that real-time environments can look absolutely stunning, but there's no way REmake 2 has a budget like Uncharted 4. I think the money would go farther if they went the prerendered route.
You don't need a budget like UC4's to get backgrounds with lots of detail, nor would using pre-rendered backgrounds be a cheaper solution. That's not how budgets work.

BTails

You don't need a budget like UC4's to get backgrounds with lots of detail, nor would using pre-rendered backgrounds be a cheaper solution. That's not how budgets work.

Wouldn't baked in lighting for backgrounds mean a lot less work/testing than relying on a dynamic lighting engine? That alone seems like it would save time (and money).

I'd suppose both have have their cons, real-time environments would require optimizing, taking time, but if they went pre-rendered they'd likely load the scene with as much detail as possible, which would also take time

Wouldn't baked in lighting for backgrounds mean a lot less work/testing than relying on a dynamic lighting engine? That alone seems like it would save time (and money).

The problem with baked lighting is when you add or change any static object, or tweak the values in a light, you have to rebuild the lighting for the entire level. Depending on the bake quality level and size of the level, this could possible take hours

Dynamic lighting, while being much more computationally expensive (baked lighting is basically free), allows the devs to tweak things without drawback. Plus it's nice that you can tweak things and instantly have the in-game look without waiting

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You can have baked lighting with real time environments. Lots of games already do. But again it slows down the workflow.

Nerrel

I think it would be simpler and much more straightforward to just do realtime environments. Prerendering requires them to do this same work anyway, but with additional steps to get the renders working. Look at REmake remaster- they had a few realtime rooms that they remade for that game, which was very cheap and had barely any budget. If doing prerendering were cheaper, they would have done that.

This is one element of the originals that was due to technical limitations; the PS1 just couldn't pull of good enough realtime visuals for the games to have atmosphere. This was true for later systems as well, up until about the PS360 gen. We can now do realtime visuals that are hard to tell apart from renders, and character models already have so many polygons that any increase provided by prerendered backdrops won't be very noticeable... It's just not really necessary to do anymore.

There would only be one benefit from prerendered visuals, and that is that people with weak hardware could get high end visuals easily; the game could run on Switch and look very similar to a high end gaming PC. But I don't think that's reason enough to go through all the compromises and complication that static backgrounds bring. The game could be much more interactive and realistic if everything were realtime.

How about you wait for a couple of days?

Not in this house.

33Qj1ov.gif

kc44135

I think it would be simpler and much more straightforward to just do realtime environments. Prerendering requires them to do this same work anyway, but with additional steps to get the renders working. Look at REmake remaster- they had a few realtime rooms that they remade for that game, which was very cheap and had barely any budget. If doing prerendering were cheaper, they would have done that.

This is one element of the originals that was due to technical limitations; the PS1 just couldn't pull of good enough realtime visuals for the games to have atmosphere. This was true for later systems as well, up until about the PS360 gen. We can now do realtime visuals that are hard to tell apart from renders, and character models already have so many polygons that any increase provided by prerendered backdrops won't be very noticeable... It's just not really necessary to do anymore.

There would only be one benefit from prerendered visuals, and that is that people with weak hardware could get high end visuals easily; the game could run on Switch and look very similar to a high end gaming PC. But I don't think that's reason enough to go through all the compromises and complication that static backgrounds bring. The game could be much more interactive and realistic if everything were realtime.
Pretty much my stance as well. No real reason to bother with pre-rendered backgrounds anymore. Too many complications and limitations. All I want are fixed camera angles and classic gameplay (and yes, dynamic, scrolling camera angles and optional analog controls would be fine, too). Please don't make RE2 an TPS/FPS, Capcom, I beg you.

Jawmuncher

If RE2make was gonna be at TGS it would've been at the Sony Conference. At best you'll get someone during the RE portion of Capcom's Stream to go "It's still in development" and nothing else.

What's crazy is how well RE-0 manages to hang despite its age. The Uncharted 4 screens take it pretty handedly. But comparing the AC shot, for instance. The glasswear and details on the table actually look better in 0 imo.

trejo

If I were Capcom I would go for real time instead of prerended for scalability purposes if nothing else. Sure, prerendered could look mind blowing atm but 10 to 15 years from now when we're playing at 16K with 21:9 as the new standard or whatever they're gonna run into some issues when the time comes for a Super Ultra HD remaster, just like what happened with REmake HD.

YIF4VsI.png

REmake still showing who is boss.

If I were Capcom I would go for real time instead of prerended for scalability purposes if nothing else. Sure, prerendered could look mind blowing atm but 10 to 15 years from now when we're playing at 16K with 21:9 as the new standard or whatever they're gonna run into some issues when the time comes for a Super Ultra HD remaster, just like what happened with REmake HD.

The problem is they did lose original REmake renders, they managed to re-render and touch up RE0 renders just fine for the remaster.

Pre-rendered backgrounds is almost a lost art at this point. Yeah, vectored graphics or painted graphics are better than pixels, dosn't mean pixel art dosn't give games a unique, distinctive look.

There's more than enough 3D real time graphics, this is one of the few times, pre-rendered backgrounds can have a place in gaming.

What's crazy is how well RE-0 manages to hang despite its age. The Uncharted 4 screens take it pretty handedly. But comparing the AC shot, for instance. The glasswear and details on the table actually look better in 0 imo.
Hmm maybe Unity wasn't the best to use. As good as it looks, it's still an open world game and would prioritize things differently than something like RE7 and UC4 would

Vigamox

The announcement came on August 12th, 2015, so if we assume that's when the project actually began development, it's only been a little over two years. The general development cycle nowadays seems to be between two and a half to three years, so we will likely be hearing about it at PSX or next year's E3. I doubt it's been cancelled since it was mentioned by the producer earlier this year.

You know as long as Leon doesn't end up looking like Chris should, im not really worried how he turns out...

Im absolutely terrified at the thought of Ada though.

RSB

Banned
You know as long as Leon doesn't end up looking like Chris should, im not really worried how he turns out...

Im absolutely terrified at the thought of Ada though.
Damn, now that you mention it, I hope Capcom doesn't try to shoehorn RE7's ugly new aesthetic into the RE2 Remake.

Cool stylized character designs >>>>>>>>>>>>> Boring realistc character designs

kromeo

Damn, now that you mention it, I hope Capcom doesn't try to shoehorn RE7's ugly new aesthetic into the RE2 Remake.

Cool stylized character designs >>>>>>>>>>>>> Boring realistc character designs

I don't care what they look like so much, I just hope they don't take liberties to try and accommodate sarcastic super agent Leon

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Maybe they're remaking it with RE3, as a Classic Racoon City collection.
One should image that.. Damn... Capcom revealing the game and instead of choosing between 2 characters (Leon and Claire) you could actually choose between 3 (Leon, Claire and Jill). I'd drop dead right then and there.

Švejk

Lol, why would it be cancelled when it is was only announced not too long ago? Too soon.

How about a poll for "Is Itsuno revealing Dragon's Dogma 2 or DMC5 this year?"

Top Bottom