• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

kc44135

Do we know if they're changing the camera or is it gonna be exactly like REmake?

Just like Jon Snow, we know nothing. Given how much time has passed since it's initial reveal though, I think it's less likely than ever that it will actually be made in the style of the original. :/

Metalmarc

Cancelled OP?

I just played it last Night, are you in another Dimenson to me? What do you call the Bernstein bears in your Dimension?

Jking

luulubuu

tumblr_m2eq1a7iGG1qb9a09o1_500.gif

ITS SUPLEX TIME BBY

Famassu

Just like Jon Snow, we know nothing. Given how much time has passed since it's initial reveal though, I think it's less likely than ever that it will actually be made in the style of the original. :/
It's hardly been 2 years since it was greenlit. We're still in the boundaries of "completely normal development schedule for a big retail game". It's not like the development started with 100% efficiency & a 3000 man team since day 1. Even if it's a remake, they still have to go through some planning & ramp up development from zero + if it's anything like REmake, it won't be a total copy-paste job in terms of design/content, but they might add new rooms/locations, story, puzzles & even tweak the gameplay, so those add to the development time as well.

luulubuu

People who are saying about just the same game with better backgrounds... had played remake or any classic re recently? Because I do not want that AT ALL.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I feel this way as well. I've pretty much accepted it won't be the game I want now, and it's frankly killed a lot of my hype for the game. I think it will probably be a TPS, potentially with co-op elements, to attempt to get the largest audience possible (I would hate this). It could also be an FPS, since RE7 was well received and we know REmake 2 will be running on it's engine (despite loving RE7, I would hate this even more). I love Classic fixed camera angles and Classic RE gameplay, and would vastly prefer REmake 2 to be made in that style and remain true to the original, but no doubt a lot of money was sunk into this project. I doubt Capcom will take a risk like that, all things considered, so it is what it is. :(

I genuinely don't mind which camera perspective they go with, as long as it remains a survival horror, that is the sticking point for me.

People who are saying about just the same game with better backgrounds... had played remake or any classic re recently? Because I do not want that AT ALL.

I spent Hurricane Irma playing RE3 on the Vita and it still plays brilliantly. Gameplay-wise, those games haven't aged a day.

liquidtmd

Banned

Yeah I played Remake recently, it's still amazing

Masterclass in atmosphere, pacing and a king in its genre of survival horror

Kuraudo

Banned

Yeah? The project was greenlit after the success of the REmake remaster. Seems like lots of people played and enjoyed it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Remake but with new controls or tank controls

With new controls but I entirely appreciate tank.

The implementation of the new scheme from Remake into 2's design would be even better, but I still think they can and would be wise to implement both

luulubuu

With new controls but I entirely appreciate tank.

The implementation of the new scheme from Remake into 2's design would be even better, but I still think they can and would be wise to implement both

Tank controls are super dated imho I would love a reimagining of RE 2 as a TPS tbh, the game could benefit from a more close camera on the shoulder with a slower pace than 4 but keeping the atmosphere close to the character

Orb

Do you not realize people love classic resident evil? Wanting the remake of a beloved classic people have wanted a REmake remake for to be like the action games just because you don't like old RE is kinda.... Yikes.

I love action RE, way more than old school, but it being action RE would actually be insulting.

Unless both options are available

Lots of people LOVE tank controls. Its not an objectively bad control method .

Remake is absolutely amazing and has hold up really well. There's a place for fixed camera angles and tank controls, specially after the overpopulated TPS genre that RE4 made so popular.

luulubuu

Do you not realize people love classic resident evil? Wanting the remake of a beloved classic people have wanted a REmake remake for to be like the action games just because you don't like old RE is kinda.... Yikes.

I love action RE, way more than old school, but it being action RE would actually be insulting.

Unless both options are available

I do love classic re, I said it MANY times already, but I think instead of reproducing the same pacing of the classic game and call it a day, I think it would be awesome to get a reimagination of the game with the TPS camera

Im not talking about suplexing Birkin, I'm saying that toning down the action a lot, and give it a new camera perspective could be awesome to build up and atmosphere there.

Instead of having fixed angles, imagine you face the lickers now in front of you not like in RE5 but you are not as fast or competent, you need to escape.

I think, imho it would be AWESOME

Why are you interested in a RE2 remake at all then?

Because I Remake is one of my beloved games and I love old re a lot but I want also new things? Is not that hard

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel weird in these topics since like, I like fixed camera angle classic-styled survival-horror games, but I also like behind-the-shoulder horror games. I also don't mind if anyone used the classic or new control scheme in REmake (I personally prefer the classic, but I think options are great to allow people to pick how to play).

After a long debate with myself, I decided in the end Resident Evil 4 slightly edges REmake for me as my favorite Resident Evil title, but that's only an ever slight edge and it's less to do with their gameplay styles and more to do with deciding both had equal highs but I think the lowest point of REmake for me (the caverns) is slightly below the lowest point of Resident Evil 4 for me. But I love them both for very different reasons.

I think either can find an audience though. Resident Evil 2 is one of the top selling horror games of all time, it has plenty of nostalgic fans who would love it in the classic style. I also think it could do well with a third-person camera, it might turn off some classic fans but might attract others. I think Resident Evil 2 is in an interesting place since I think both styles could fit the game in general. But it'll be interesting to see how it's received when it's revealed.

I do love classic re, I said it MANY times already, but I think instead of reproducing the same pacing of the classic game and call it a day, I think it would be awesome to get a reimagination of the game with the TPS camera

Im not talking about suplexing Birkin, I'm saying that toning down the action a lot, and give it a new camera perspective could be awesome to build up and atmosphere there.

Instead of having fixed angles, imagine you face the lickers now in front of you not like in RE5 but you are not as fast or competent, you need to escape.

But tank controls and fixed camera actually allowed you to escape, now you're usually encouraged to go head on and suplex or kick whatever horrible monster is spawned in front of you.

kromeo

Regardless of what I'd rather see, I'm pretty sure the game will be over the shoulder camera.

As long as they don't redo the separate scenarios just the sake of forcing co op in then I'll be happy either way

luulubuu

But tank controls and fixed camera actually allowed you to escape, now you're usually encouraged to go head on and suplex or kick whatever horrible monster is spawned in front of you.

Try to remove the action component and figure out something more narrative driven and close to the character, not like Tlou but something in the middle. Exploring the city with that angle would be so cool imho

ReMake is one of the best remakes ever, if not the best. Everything about is competent and all the changes were cool (not a fan of the boob jiggle myself) it will be always a classic.

Thinking about scrapping that and going for a new route that would allow new entries to come is what I'm saying, I do not want to make ReMake 2 a RE6 with sliding and that stuff, I'm talking about just a reimagination of the game

Shredderi

Because I Remake is one of my beloved games and I love old re a lot but I want also new things? Is not that hard

Want new things? You're in luck because you get new things all the time, just like the rest of us. This one game that fans have wanted for eons can stay as a more classic remake (if capcom is so inclined).

TheMoon

Do we know if they're changing the camera or is it gonna be exactly like REmake?

It's funny how you think we know anything about this at all. ;)

RE has timeless gameplay. New backgrounds/assets with some redesigned/additional levels is all this needs. Played RE2 just last Christmas, btw.

same question, tank controls or new ones

RE2 already had analog controls btw :D

Orb

I feel weird in these topics since like, I like fixed camera angle classic-styled survival-horror games, but I also like behind-the-shoulder horror games. I also don't mind if anyone used the classic or new control scheme in REmake (I personally prefer the classic, but I think options are great to allow people to pick how to play).

After a long debate with myself, I decided in the end Resident Evil 4 slightly edges REmake for me as my favorite Resident Evil title, but that's only an ever slight edge and it's less to do with their gameplay styles and more to do with deciding both had equal highs but I think the lowest point of REmake for me (the caverns) is slightly below the lowest point of Resident Evil 4 for me. But I love them both for very different reasons.

I think either can find an audience though. Resident Evil 2 is one of the top selling horror games of all time, it has plenty of nostalgic fans who would love it in the classic style. I also think it could do well with a third-person camera, it might turn off some classic fans but might attract others. I think Resident Evil 2 is in an interesting place since I think both styles could fit the game in general. But it'll be interesting to see how it's received when it's revealed.
I'm in the same boat, to be honest. The gameplay has never been a gigantic factor in my liking the games, though. So I usually don't care, but I know a lot of people love RE2 and how it plays that changing that with no option to TPS would be super shitty.

The announcement was more than two years ago and no trailers no nothing. I does not look like it is coming to TGS either. I hope I am wrong

luulubuu

RE has timeless gameplay. New backgrounds/assets with some redesigned/additional levels is all this needs. Played RE2 just last Christmas, btw.

RE2 already had analog controls btw :D

I guess is timeless if you played them before, I think the mass target appealing had moved on to something more modern, and it would be not very smart to not try to get that market

And...I know?

TheMoon

The announcement was more than two years ago and no trailers no nothing. I does not look like it is coming to TGS either. I hope I am wrong

You cannot view this as any normal game announcement. They did this the second it got greenlit. When games get announced, they've been through pre-production mostly and are well into it usually.

Fisico

Games like this take much more than 2 years to be made, they're also definitely going for a short schedule between announcement trailer -> release date, like many others japanese titles do.

Just be more patient, you know it's coming so why the hurry? You won't get the game faster by having some screenshots/trailer, if anything it even diverts ressources from the development team.

Orb

Horror games can work in that pace;
Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Dreadout, Siren..

Is just a pacing and atmosphere problem
The Silent Hill games that are behind the shoulder are mediocre and not scary, though.

Though I will give you Fatal Frame and DEFINITELY DreadOut. Fantastic horror games.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Pre-production

Games like this take much more than 2 years to be made, they're also definitely going for a short schedule between announcement trailer -> release date, like many others japanese titles do.

Just be more patient, you know it's coming so why the hurry? You won't get the game faster by having some screenshots/trailer, if anything it even diverts ressources from the development team.

No. That’s marketing.

Sayad

Game was announced pretty much before actual development started, games takes time to make, etc... Don't expect to see it at TGS too.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Whatever style it is. Someone is getting mad.

I don't see how anyone could be legitimately mad if it's an old-school RE game with updated graphics. It's a remake of a classic game, not RE8. Anyone that does get angry about this has unrealistic expectations.

Top Bottom