• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4/5/6 on PS4/X1 sell 2.8 million combined (Franchise Sales Overview)

I wonder how many count for the recent Xbox Live sale where the RE HD/RE0 HD 456/Revelations 2 bundle was heavily reduce ?

I jumped on it then and have no regrets. I also mostly did it just so I could replay 5 and the originals again.

Riposte

I'm deeply baffled that they never ported or made a sequel to The Mercenaries 3D. That thing was amazing, performance issues aside. It would give the RE6 fandom an actual good game to play, and allow the rest of us to enjoy the series reboot in peace. Win-win.

Not win-win for me. As neat as a Mercs game would be, I would not consider it a replacement for an action game's campaign in the slightest, especially if it's relying on reused assets for a crossover thing like they did with Rev 2. That would be like wanting the next Devil May Cry to be without a campaign - just Bloody Palace with a bunch of DMC4 enemies in it. I get there were problems with DMC4's campaign, but the fact someone would imply that is what I would want almost seems it could be an insult. The way you frame this proposition gives me that feeling.

I've never agreed with the notion that there was this big quality gap between combat in the campaign vs. combat in Mercs, I don't even believe it makes sense if you look at the components of both; they both have their strengths and weaknesses. To the point where the campaign isn't being too annoying with non-combat stuff, I would really miss the variety, presentation, and flow of content as opposed to trying to make a number get bigger hours after I got the highest ranking, in what is effectively not even the game's highest difficulty setting. Mercs for me (and for Capcom, evidently, looking at unlock order) is the treat at the end for dedicated players to reach that final level of familiarity with the game's combat system in an open-ended side mode.

What would be a "win" for me, as RE6 fan (and also a fan of RE4 and RE5 and almost every RE game to date), would be another game like RE6 but more focused and refined after separating the wheat from the chaff - with even more enemy and combat variety if they could somehow manage it. If that means the game has to be smaller than the colossal beast that was 6, so be it. Co-op being in there somewhere is nonnegotiable, but if they made one campaign co-op and one solo, sounds fine to me as long as the co-op one was at least RE6 campaign length.

For the record, RE5 and RE6 Mercs are incompatible, more so than RE4 and RE5. You'd likely be picking one and reusing assets for the other (and the Rev games, no doubt). Honestly I'm less excited for a Merc standalone these days because I figure it would dip into gacha shit like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer did.

Oh my god if they did Rev3 with Ada and Moira... somehow.
I get the feeling a Revelations game starring Ada would actually have revelations in it for once.

Series one - Mainline, action
Series two - FPS
Series three - Classic
Series four -
XCOM clone starring BSAA and Umbrella Corps

And three has Outbreak multiplayer.

I get the feeling a Revelations game starring Ada would actually have revelations in it for once.

You mean revelations in regards to Ada? Cuz yeah besides the odd tidbit here and there Ada is basically the series' biggest question-mark. With Wesker dead she's one of the oldest ties back to pre-RE4 plot.

I'd say "revelations" applied to Rev2 as it was basically Moira's and Barry's story with Claire simply being the veteran lead. I really, really liked how we got a look back into Moira's past as it took only one game to make her essentially the best-written character in the whole series.

Really makes me want to do some digging and find out who at Capcom was responsible for her creation and backstory.

dlauv

Capcom struggling with three or four IPs at the moment and people are talking about splitting the RE series into three projects.

All I want are good games reinforced by time and polish. I wish people weren't so rigid in their gameplay style preferences although I have to admit I wasn't a fan of 6 or its combat. But I guess I would mind it less in a better game with a better inventory system. With some improvements to the baser gunplay too (4&5 are good models, irrespective of movement limitations), please.

]Capcom struggling with three or four IPs at the moment and people are talking about splitting the RE series into three projects. [/B]

All I want are good games reinforced by time and polish. I wish people weren't so rigid in their gameplay style preferences although I have to admit I wasn't a fan of 6 or its combat. But I guess I would mind it less in a better game with a better inventory system. With some improvements to the baser gunplay too (4&5 are good models, irrespective of movement limitations), please.

We can dream...

statham

I bought them all, its nice having them all on one system and knowing it'll be playable on my future systems. I'll grab code veronica & RER1 too when released.

Korigama

If i loved 4 should i buy 5 and 6?
I played through 4 for the first time ever 3 months ago. I like the gameplay of 4 so are 5 and 6 simular?
I loved 4, but hated 5 and 6, but especially 6. 5 was essentially a game attempting to copy 4 without any understanding of what made it work, and 6 was a bloated mess that went off in a direction that completely eliminated any pretense of being a horror game at all. It doesn't surprise me that there are limits to just how much 4 could sell without co-op, but it seems 6 truly is the RE equivalent to a Michael Bay Transformers film (loud, dumb, and makes an obscene amount of money regardless of how awful it is).

Haven't bothered with Revelations 2, but honestly have no real interest in anything I've seen of it beyond Barry being in it (and I say this as someone who enjoyed the first Revelations on 3DS). Pity that the franchise seems to have no future beyond people wanting to play through whole games with their friends, with a focus on nothing other than non-stop action instead of even trying for horror or tension (never mind having to explore or backtrack in a fixed location).

Jawmuncher

I loved 4, but hated 5 and 6, but especially 6. 5 was essentially a game attempting to copy 4 without any understanding of what made it work, and 6 was a bloated mess that went off in a direction that completely eliminated any pretense of being a horror game at all. It doesn't surprise me that there are limits to just how much 4 could sell without co-op, but it seems 6 truly is the RE equivalent to a Michael Bay Transformers film (loud, dumb, and makes an obscene amount of money regardless of how awful it is).

Haven't bothered with Revelations 2, but honestly have no real interest in anything I've seen of it beyond Barry being in it (and I say this as someone who enjoyed the first Revelations on 3DS). Pity that the franchise seems to have no future beyond people wanting to play through whole games with their friends, with a focus on nothing other than non-stop action instead of even trying for horror or tension (never mind having to explore or backtrack in a fixed location).

I'm still curious to see if capcom could pull of another RE4 style game. Not in the sense of being that impactful on the gaming market as a whole. But in balancing the survival horror and action again. Even mikami couldn't balance it in The Evil Within.

Korigama

I'm still curious to see if capcom could pull of another RE4 style game. Not in the sense of being that impactful on the gaming market as a whole. But in balancing the survival horror and action again. Even mikami couldn't balance it in The Evil Within.
It is very questionable whether they could do it, yes. I have my doubts that The Evil Within 2 will be any closer after the first one failed to, even if Mikami acknowledged that too many people were allowed input on the final product.

BadWolf

It is very questionable whether they could do it, yes. I have my doubts that The Evil Within 2 will be any closer after the first one failed to, even if Mikami acknowledged that too many people were allowed input on the final product.

For RE? I think they definitely could. It's pretty clear that they went back to the drawing board and rethought a lot of things as can be seen in Rev2 and RE7.

If RE8 were action I'm sure it would be a lot more focused.

Korigama

For RE? I think they definitely could. It's pretty clear that they went back to the drawing board and rethought a lot of things as can be seen in Rev2 and RE7.

If RE8 were action I'm sure it would be a lot more focused.
Rev2 and RE7 were still quite different from RE4 (I'd say the co-op emphasis for the former already disqualifies that one, with even Rev1 having done more to approximate 4 in terms of how often it has you on your own, albeit with the melee going in the opposite direction of 6 by being scaled back a bit too much). 7 brought back exploring and backtracking, but lacked enemy variety and didn't have much to the combat mechanics.

BadWolf

Rev2 and RE7 were still quite different from RE4 (I'd say the co-op emphasis for the former already disqualifies that one).

I meant in terms of quality/appeal, there's no need for an entry exactly like RE4. Especially when so many of its combat scenarios etc. have been reused in RE5/6/Evil Within.

LaNaranja

Pity that the franchise seems to have no future beyond people wanting to play through whole games with their friends, with a focus on nothing other than non-stop action instead of even trying for horror or tension (never mind having to explore or backtrack in a fixed location).

It is crazy to me that someone can say this as a negative. Capcom really has slapped the RE name on too many things at this point. RE7 is only going to make this worse, creating yet another type of game that is going to cause a new group of people to complain when an RE game isn't done in that style.

The Evil Within balanced it pretty much perfectly in my opinion. Undeniably better than RE4. RE4 barely even tries once you get to the castle, and by the time you reach the island they no longer bother pretending to be a horror game, instead inserting normal military enemies.

This game needs a true remaster not another "HD" port.

Remade textures.lighting effects,touched up models ��
Though it will never happen

Don't forget enemy AI that needs to be touched up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ROMUc3DG8

Korigama

It is crazy to me that someone can say this as a negative. Capcom really has slapped the RE name on too many things at this point. RE7 is only going to make this worse, creating yet another type of game that is going to cause a new group of people to complain when an RE game isn't done in that style.
Not sure how. There's nothing even remotely unnerving about a supposed survival horror game where you're never alone, with someone always by your side to help you. That said, I do agree that the fanbase is hopelessly splintered at this point.
I meant in terms of quality/appeal, there's no need for an entry exactly like RE4. Especially when so many of its combat scenarios etc. have been reused in RE5/6/Evil Within.
I meant quality and appeal as well, but that's a bit more subjective. Not expecting something to be exactly like 4 (part of 5's problem was copying too many of its combat scenarios).

Rymuth

Fantastic result and to think, this was all made possible by the re-release of REmake.

Hopefully they look to other IPs for ports as well.

Just shows how timeless RE is . RE and RE0 have sold 3.3 million. I expect RER2 to sell 2 million. Thats crazy: PS1 remasters giving them 5 million in sales.

Yeah, the numerous different styles still selling consistently is good to see.
I think this is an important point, having different styles sell, even the very old classic, should make Capcom comfortable with doing different styles of games going forward knowing that there is a market for each.
I imagine the issue with the Onimusha games is the characters being based on real actors likeliness. So that'll make it a pain in the ass to port them over.

Which sucks as I'd throw my wallet at Capcom for an Onimusha Collection.
hmmmm, that makes sense yeah, that would be a lot of work and a hassle to be honest.

So barring different versions of SF, this basically means that RE6 is Capcom's best selling game of all time.

People can hate RE6 as much as they want, but action fans have voted with their wallets.

Rymuth

So barring different versions of SF, this basically means that RE6 is Capcom's best selling game of all time.

People can hate RE6 as much as they want, but action fans have voted with their wallets.
You mean RE5, right?

Without Remasters

RE5 - 7.2 million
RE6 - 6.8 million

With remasters

RE5 - 8.1 million
RE6 - 7.8 million

fhqwhgads

Who would have thought making your game exactly like Call of Duty and appealing to the lowest common demoninator would make lots of people buy it

Jawmuncher

You mean RE5, right?

Without Remasters

RE5 - 7.2 million
RE6 - 6.8 million

With remasters

RE5 - 8.1 million
RE6 - 7.8 million

Yeah RE5 is more than likely the best selling still. But I only wanted to post the data of what was 100% given. I made note of that case though. Next fiscal will probably reflect that change.

Which is why RE7 was an action game?

He's getting at Action RE is still worth being a style in the series going forward. These sales to me indicate that capcom definitely needs to stick with a lot of different experiences in the series. The series easily supports being horror or action focus, and there's no need to settle on just one.

Mr_Zombie

Have you noticed that those numbers don't include the PC version of RE5, RE6 and RE4? Now you did! :D

Resident Evil 6 is only included as "PS3/Xbox 360/DL" and "PS4/Xbox one/DL". Same with RE5. The PC version for both games were released a couple of months after PS3/X360 release and they were considered as different SKUs. Resident Evil Revelations 2, on the other hand, has "PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One/PC/DL" in its platform listing, since the game released simultaneously on all platforms and it was all considered as a single version of the game.

From SteamSpy:
* RE6 (both digital and box version required Steam activation): 1,070,940 ± 30,498
* RE5 (doesn't include GfWL copies that weren't activated on Steam when the game was released): 902,887 ± 28,009
* RE4 HD (the old Sourcenext version not included): 714,339 ± 24,920

So you can up those numbers a little bit in the OP ;)

You mean RE5, right?

Without Remasters

RE5 - 7.2 million
RE6 - 6.8 million

With remasters

RE5 - 8.1 million
RE6 - 7.8 million

Probably RE4: 6.6 million
PS2: 2.3 million
Wii: 2 million
GC: 1.6 million
PC: 0.7 million

Without counting PS360 and PS4/XB1 SKUs < 2 million.

Peroroncino

Good sales, I'm yet to buy any Resident Evil game this gen but I think I'm gonna break and purchase 4/5/6 on the next sale since the 'dry period' is upon us. Oh, and please Capcom, stop this FPP thingy and let's go back to punching boulders ok?

Akiller

It's only a matter of time before something RE related hits switch. I could see them starting to port as much as possible.

If that was true Rev 1 remaster would have been announced for Switch together with PS4/X1 versions, i mean Rev 1 started as 3DS exclusive rotfl.

Zalman

I appreciate the fact that they released physical copies of these at such a low price. I'd love to see them do more of this.

You mean RE5, right?

Without Remasters

RE5 - 7.2 million
RE6 - 6.8 million

With remasters

RE5 - 8.1 million
RE6 - 7.8 million
Oh, wow didn't realize RE5 remaster sold that good. RE5 and RE6 being the two best selling games of Capcom, really says something.

Which is why RE7 was an action game?
Yeah, Jaw understood what I meant. Despite people actively saying that action RE is garbage, there is a very big demand for it. I just hope Capcom realizes that and gives us more action RE games in the style of RE4-6.

Archtreyz

Who would have thought making your game exactly like Call of Duty and appealing to the lowest common demoninator would make lots of people buy it
How is it like Call of Duty? I never get these statements. Does making something more action-oriented make a game like Call of Duty?
Not only that, but the depths of the combat mechanics make the game a much more sophisticated action game than Call of Duty. The melee and combo focused system is a blast, especially with a friend.

Jawmuncher

Probably RE4: 6.6 million
PS2: 2.3 million
Wii: 2 million
GC: 1.6 million
PC: 0.7 million

Without counting PS360 and PS4/XB1 SKUs < 2 million.

Have you noticed that those numbers don't include the PC version of RE5, RE6 and RE4? Now you did! :D

Resident Evil 6 is only included as "PS3/Xbox 360/DL" and "PS4/Xbox one/DL". Same with RE5. The PC version for both games were released a couple of months after PS3/X360 release and they were considered as different SKUs. Resident Evil Revelations 2, on the other hand, has "PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One/PC/DL" in its platform listing, since the game released simultaneously on all platforms and it was all considered as a single version of the game.

From SteamSpy:
* RE6 (both digital and box version required Steam activation): 1,070,940 ± 30,498
* RE5 (doesn't include GfWL copies that weren't activated on Steam when the game was released): 902,887 ± 28,009
* RE4 HD (the old Sourcenext version not included): 714,339 ± 24,920

So you can up those numbers a little bit in the OP ;)

You mean RE5, right?

Without Remasters

RE5 - 7.2 million
RE6 - 6.8 million

With remasters

RE5 - 8.1 million
RE6 - 7.8 million

These are all possible. I just didn't want to include anything that wasn't set in stone by capcom. But it's definitely between 4,5,&6 being the top.

Neff

I thought Tango did just fine. It was the screwy controls and sub-par performance on consoles which let the game down more than anything. And even they weren't enough to taint it imo. More than any game released since RE4, TEW feels the most like its conceptual if not spiritual sequel. I loved every minute.

I'm one of the RE6 haters.

Guess I'll buy it too and see why people like it so much. For the record, I *HATED* RE5, and *LOVE* RE7.

Revelations was advertised as an "offshoot," and so I stayed away from it after feeling that RE0 was mediocre.

Guess I have some backlog to add in the next sale.

RE is great but o boy hard platinums or time consuming.

Huh? Resident Evil has pretty fair trophies.
Platinuming RE5 was my favorite gaming experience last gen.

If i loved 4 should i buy 5 and 6?
I played through 4 for the first time ever 3 months ago. I like the gameplay of 4 so are 5 and 6 simular?
5 is legitimately great, the only thing that sucks compared to 4 is the chapter system really breaks the immersion of the setting(which was disappointing as is compared to concepts)
RE4's setting really flowed all the way through. It however was a sacrifice for the incredible co-op.

a few campaign in 6 are great(Chris, Ada) especially as a TPS and better than Gears of War.

Jawmuncher

Huh? Resident Evil has pretty fair trophies.
Platinuming RE5 was my favorite gaming experience last gen.

I will say the Revelations and non-mainline games are pretty hard platinums. Mainline isn't too bad especially 5.

I thought Tango did just fine. It was the screwy controls and sub-par performance on consoles which let the game down more than anything. And even they weren't enough to taint it imo. More than any game released since RE4, TEW feels the most like its conceptual if not spiritual sequel. I loved every minute.

If there was one vibe I never got from TEW, it was RE4. That's neither here nor there though.

cvxfreak

Surprised Revelations 2 sold more than 1. I'm expecting them to make Revelations 3 and use it to cover the action RE games.

If you count the 3DS version of Revelations 1, then they're virtually tied.

It'll be interesting to see if Revelations 1 HD can pull off similar numbers to RE4-6.

Capcom also needs to get on the Switch bandwagon.

Rymuth

I'm one of the RE6 haters.

Guess I'll buy it too and see why people like it so much. For the record, I *HATED* RE5, and *LOVE* RE7.

Revelations was advertised as an "offshoot," and so I stayed away from it after feeling that RE0 was mediocre.

Guess I have some backlog to add in the next sale.
6 Remastered addressed a lot of the complaints (such as those damn QTEs) - get a friend, think of it as a cheap thrill and you'll enjoy yourself.

I definitely hate the art direction/general idea they were going for but even *I* begrudgingly admit there's a very satisfying mechanically sound game underneath all the loud noises.

peppers

Currently playing through 4, 5 and 6 after beating REmake. It's surprising to me to see RE6 get so many sales, I thought it had tanked since 7 was so different. Although I guess it's also possible they saw that P.T./Silent Hills opportunity after Konami dropped the ball and just took it.

Top Bottom