• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Banned
Wow.... what awful fucking camera controls. I honestly consider this MASSIVE FUCKIN DEADZONE as unplayable.

I didn't even finish the demo. How does this shit happen. I don't understand.

I gave up during the town fight, this shit is absolutely unplayable indeed.

and it's even worse when you played the original which has ridiculously precise aiming especially for its time.
it's literally half the stick that's a deadzone

Last edited:
OK gents, there.must be something seriously wrong with the demo, that or Capcom fucked up big time :

The game is blurry and there's fucking shimmering every-fucking-where, it looks hideous...
Even on Resolution mode with CA turned off it looks blurry with notable shimmering.

Tried every GFX combination available on the PS5 but nope, shit looks like the most previous gen game ever - and people had a problem with how Horizon Forbidden west looked ? Oh my guys, you're in for a shock - and this comes from a non graphics whore, it's just that I expected WAY more from Capcom , this is Resi4 for Christ's sake.

LG C2, PS5

PS : the fucking controls man...floaty AF.
NOPE, this is a bargain bin purchase 7 months from now for.me

Last edited:
Looks and runs amazing on PC, nearly maxed w/ ray-tracing @ 1440p.

Didn't see a single dip in framerate until the very end of the demo when it zooms out and brings up the logo.

Edit: Also didn't have any deadzone problems with a controller on PC

Edit2: Tried out the PS5 demo and the deadzone is fine there as well.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The save point doesn't work. Had some stutters(?) or whatever they are called, brief freezes but might be because I have it installed on a HDD :messenger_grinning_sweat: Between 70-120fps (I am capped at 120) @ 1080p on my little 3060.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I love that hold to run option doesn't even work. Lol.

Okay, this one is off the radar. Probably my most anticipated game in forever and instantly on the wait for sale pile. It's really a wait for patch pile, but nevertheless. I'll be waiting.

Last edited:

Banned
RIDICULOUSLY BIG DEADZONE.

absolutely unplayable in its current state imo.
literally half the stick is just a deadzone and there's no way to adjust it.

how on earth did they push this demo out with these controls?

imma download the PC version I guess and play with a mouse to get around this, but they can't release the game like this... like wtf?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished the demo on ps5.
What a fucking incredible thing this is!!!!!
I can’t believe how well it controls and animates. Dualsense haptics feels so good and aiming feels better than village. I like how golf the walking animation is.

The intensity really surprised me. I’ve even died!!! This is so much crazier and difficult. Love it.

Played rt resolution mode and it’s mid. Looks amazing but goes below 48fps sometimes so vrr gets disabled.

Banned
Part of the reason I didn't get far on RE8 was the horrible controls (the other part was because I am a pussy).

this is worse than RE8, I also had my issues with that game on controller, but this? holy crap!
and hilariously, with the 3rd person DLC they massively improved the aiming in RE8, if you play in 3rd person the aiming controls were better than when I played through it in first person.

and now this... like wtf happened here?

drotahorror

Short but sweet.

No deadzone issues with mouse on PC atleast. Running around that town was pretty intense, ran through a barn that fuckin
horse caught on fire
for whatever reason. Shit was nuts.

This demo shits all over Village demo.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dead zone is better than default village but can be lowered. Its acceleration. Will check pc tomorrow to decide which version I want but that 3d audio and dualsense is selling me

Tried the steam demo, max settings with raytracing on 4070ti. Mouse and keyboard. Runs at 100+fps no upscaling enabled at 1440p. Stutters very briefly at the start and then runs smooth and perfect until the end. Aiming is great, looks great. Has fov, has lots of accesiblity options, hud options for immersion...Capcom is slayin. Perfect FUCKING PC PORT. Had doubts but im preordering now.

Banned
I can’t believe how well it controls

how big is the deadzone on PS5? because that is a ridiculous statement to me coming from the Xbox demo where the aiming is so bad that it made it basically unplayable.
I'm not kidding when I say it's practically half the fucking stick

Last edited:

Evolved1

Dead zone is better than default village but can be lowered. Its acceleration. Will check pc tomorrow to decide which version I want but that 3d audio and dualsense is selling me
This is a literal lie.

Last edited:

ssringo

Played on PC. First run through was pretty enjoyable. Tried to play it to see the hallmarks of the OG village fight. Into the house to trigger the cutscene, up and around the roof, into the house across from it for a choke point to blast and grenade. Familiar but some nice surprises and nearly lost my head. Definitely much easier to survive this version on the first try. Demo ends with Leon's iconic line.

Camera/aiming felt a bit off but not "unplayable" by any stretch. Can't wait for the full release.

DavidGzz

So it looks like when I get done with the gym, I will go with the PC version demo. Wildly different impressions so far lol

Took a break from Dead Space to try this out.

RE4s facial animations look better but Dead Space looks and plays better overall.

I dunno. I'm sure this will be good but I'm not blown away.

Last edited:

Evolved1

Played on PC. First run through was pretty enjoyable. Tried to play it to see the hallmarks of the OG village fight. Into the house to trigger the cutscene, up and around the roof, into the house across from it for a choke point to blast and grenade. Familiar but some nice surprises and nearly lost my head. Definitely much easier to survive this version on the first try. Demo ends with Leon's iconic line.

Camera/aiming felt a bit off but not "unplayable" by any stretch. Can't wait for the full release.
Curious, did you use mouse or controller on PC?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
A few shots from the demo (PC, maxed out)

T4GSPc.png
T4GMhm.png
T4G7zk.png
T4GzK1.png
T4GP12.png
T4GvqZ.png

Facism

how do you get 3d audio on pc with the dualsense? Do you have to plug your headphones into the pad?

Diddy X

I think it looks great except for Leon's animation it looks kinda goofy, something looks off with his posture.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Finished the demo, I actually liked the intro more than the original. It was far creepier. Village fight was intense. Controls were fine and responsive for me. I got to sample most combat maneuvers, and even got my first stealth kill. It was nice being able to sneak around the village for a bit before things popped off.

ssringo

Curious, did you use mouse or controller on PC?
First run was with controller. 2nd run I turned up camera acceleration all the way and it feels fine on controller. Swapped to mouse and it felt pretty bad initially. Turned up camera sensitivity about 3/4 to max and it feels fine as well.

Edit: I use a Dualsense. Don't have an XBox controller to test.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Just tried the PS5 version for about 2 minutes, seems like very slow movement if you move the sticks a little. Better than RE8 for me. My TV said it was at 55fps in the outside where you start, 60 in the first house. Looked kinda meh with RT on, turned off RT and lens distortion crap and looked a bit better. Glow from the candle flame looked kinda blocky to me.

Fq0SuWZX0AEx_ql

Fq0SuhXWAAIthb7

The loading difference between my shit HDD on PC and PS5 is yuge.

Dutchy

Banned
Tweaked my settings for 20 minutes and out of nowhere it went from 5/10 to 10/10 looking. I'm talking a night and day difference. No idea what setting it's related to though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished the demo, it’s really odd to go back to awful controls, deadzone and all.

Fight the FOMO when the reviews hit, RE games go on deep sale all the time.
Maybe turn down acceleration. I didn’t notice much issues on ps5 but it’s slow on default. Fine for me

Reactions: Isa

Sygma

Its re 4 all right, love the parry but this is absolutely skippable due to the bad graphics and the super dated everything else. Those who are in for the first time will probably love it

they definitely cranked up the enemies tho, also why isnt the chainsaw dude dying after a grenade and 12 shotgun shots point blank ? i dont remember the original well but it wasn't that hard to kill one of these

What I don't get is who thought it was a good idea to add weapon sway in this lol

Last edited:

baphomet

Looks and runs pretty great on PC with everything on max.

Something weird happening with the hair at the very beginning in the woods, but it stopped when I made it into the house

VN1X

Banned
Really impressed with the performance on PC. With all of the settings on max (even ray tracing) I got about 90+ fps during the first area. If I turn off RT I get 120 during intense bits or higher. With FSR 2.0 I get frames well above my monitor's refresh rate. Good stuff!

ssringo

Finished a 2nd run and decided run around a bit more and avoid fighting where possible to see what's what. I like how they've added more routes around the village to escape the chasing villagers and it kinda felt like some villagers would hang back a bit to more quickly get in front of you. Was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see how some of the later fights go.

Seems like killing enough villagers to trigger the end as well as surviving long enough to trigger the end are both much easier to do. Even running around trying to avoid fighting I don't think I was able to really see everything in the village before the end.

So Excited Kermit GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom