• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

GametimeUK

Console games lately have been great looking, but this looks so much better on my 3080 it's not even funny. What the heck is going on with the console version?

It also helps that I just got myself a beautiful new Alienware Ultrawide, but it's not as if my LGC9 which the PS5 is hooked to is a slouch either.

I've been complaining about PC ports for a while now, but the PC version here is vastly superior from what admittedly little I've seen.

(Edit) I had left lense distortion and chromatic aberration on PS5 by mistake. Disabling helps... a little.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
so I played it on PC and plugged in my Dualsense, and the deadzone there is way smaller than on Xbox.
I'll download the PS5 version later and compare there.

the deadzone on PC is actually pretty small, the bigger issue I found there is a sensitivity curve that seems to be extremely on the precision side of things.
your turn speed for like half the stick there is basically snail speed and at the last 20% it goes to overdrive.
so for like 20% of the inner stick you barely even move your aim at max sensitivity.
Thanks for testing this.

MikeM

Surprised the RT resolution mode targets 60fps although it hovers between 50-60 on ps5.

Gonna try my 7900xt pc soon.

Elginer

I gave up during the town fight, this shit is absolutely unplayable indeed.

and it's even worse when you played the original which has ridiculously precise aiming especially for its time.
it's literally half the stick that's a deadzone
I thought it was just me but yeah the controls are messed

Kev Kev

excited pelvic thrust GIF

Can't wait to try it out

Maybe Im overeacting but seriusly looks worse than re2r, low resolution even in resolution mode and drops below 50, not sure what happend here, looks like low budget effort from capcom. Tested on ps5.

The image quality is terrible on ps5 in performance mode! I'm seriously disappointed here. Wtf happened Capcom? Re8 has MUCH HIGHER resolution at 60 fps and a similar level of fidelity!

I swear it's one gut punch after another as a next gen console owner as more and more games come out with disappointing resolution and image quality, despite us being 2.5 years into the generation and with these games not even being THAT impressive in terms of what they're trying to achieve! Just today DF did an analysis of Wu Long Fallen Dynasty- 1260p/60 fps lol! Last month we had Forsaken as a "next gen" only title and Dead Space Remake, both topping out at what? 1440p?

At least they were a little sharper than RE4 which looks to be 1080p! Then in October of last year we had the Gotham Knights debacle of 30fps as well as Evil West (1080p/60). I'm fully convinced things are not going to get much better this generation with these consoles as I've played everything worth playing and everything has shown limitations in one form or another. These consoles are not that powerful and developers today are not putting in the same kind of effort they used to.

Thats a bad combination in terms of what to expect graphically going forward, and as games become more demanding its only going to get worse. People are saying RE4 Remake is not impressive graphically but that's probably NOT the case. There probably are some real improvements to the graphics and that's the reason we're getting a lower resolution than re8.

Banned
Maybe Im overeacting but seriusly looks worse than re2r, low resolution even in resolution mode and drops below 50, not sure what happend here, looks like low budget effort from capcom. Tested on ps5.

worst fps I saw on xbox was ~51fps with RT

I think the reason it looks like it does (shimmering etc) is that they once again use checkerboarding, and their checkerboarding isn't the best when it comes to image sharpness and smoothness.
on PC if you use it, your edge treatment instantly goes down the shitter and you get shimmering.

Last edited:

sachos

Just finished it on an i3 4170 and GTX 960. Run like shit, but oh boy is it fun! Was watching some PS5 streams and it looks like the performance mode dynamic res is really kicking in. Eagerly awaiting for the DF analysis.
Can't wait for the reviews, looks like they fucking nailed it. Again!

Last edited:
Console games lately have been great looking, but this looks so much better on my 3080 it's not even funny. What the heck is going on with the console version?

It also helps that I just got myself a beautiful new Alienware Ultrawide, but it's not as if my LGC9 which the PS5 is hooked to is a slouch either.

I've been complaining about PC ports for a while now, but the PC version here is vastly superior from what admittedly little I've seen.

(Edit) I had left lense distortion and chromatic aberration on PS5 by mistake. Disabling helps... a little.

It helps but not enough. The iq is still bad and the resolution is not good. Fuck me.

Banned
Just finished it on an i3 4170 and GTX 960. Run like shit, but oh boy is it fun!

what settings did you use? did you try using interlacing? because on lower end cards this could help a ton.
it cuts VRAM usage down by a lot and it reduces your rendering load by about 30% to 40%

Last edited:

Pelao

I've played the demo multiple times on PS5 and liked it a lot. As with all RE Engine Resident Evil games, I had to change some settings. I don't know why I never like the default settings Capcom ships these games with.
In case anyone else finds it useful on PS5:

Display
Visuals: Frame Rate.
Ray Tracing: Off.
Lens Distortion: Off.
Depth of Field: Off.

Camera
Camera Acceleration Normal Gameplay: Max.
Camera Acceleration When Aiming: Max.
Field of View: Max.
Camera Wobble: Off.
Motion Blur: Off.

Controls
Control Type: B-1.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Runs decently on my RTX 4090 rig...and looks quite nice. Only issue is that I'm seeing stutters. I hope this is not because of DRM.

Banned
Runs decently on my RTX 4090 rig...and looks quite nice. Only issue is that I'm seeing stutters. I hope this is not because of DRM.

I had stutters at the beginning but then none until the end. maybe a small hitch here and there, but that could be my VRAM filling up to much with RT on lol

Banned
Thanks for testing this.

I made a more detailed post further down btw.

SOOOOOOOOOO,

I now played all 3 versions, PC, Xbox SX, PS5.

the deadzone is way bigger on Xbox for some reason.
I am literally sitting on my TV changing outputs from PC, to Xbox, to PS5, to compare the different versions.

on PC it seems like a 5% deadzone, on PS5 it seems slightly bigger, like maybe 7%....
ON XBOX HOWEVER... 10% minimum if not 15%

and this feels exponentially worse due to the weird reaction curve.
it's a reaction curve that ramps up really slowly and then suddenly shoots to high speed at about 80% stick movement.

so you have a really slow moving aim at the center half of your stick, you barely notice it moving until 20% in, in combination with a deadzone that is not great at best and really bad at worst (on xbox)

to fix this entirely they would need to
A: give different reaction curve options like Linear and 2 different precision ones (best would be a slider but barely anyone does that)
B: add a deadzone setting that I can turn all the way to 0 if I want to
C: give options for how big the outer circle is where the camera suddenly shoots into overdrive.

I highly doubt that A and C will ever happen, but there is hope for B

I'll add to that that you should turn your aim acceleration and aim speed to the absolute max to counter the really slow moving inner curve.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
I had stutters at the beginning but then none until the end. maybe a small hitch here and there, but that could be my VRAM filling up to much with RT on lol

Yeah, it wasn't a dealbreaker or anything...not like that bullshit with Resident Evil: Village.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PSA

Don't lower the camera acceleration. Unlike most other games with the setting, here if you turn the camera acceleration low, it greatly slows down the camera turning entirely.

It's terrible if you lower it.

Banned
PSA

Don't lower the camera acceleration. Unlike most other games with the setting, here if you turn the camera acceleration low, it greatly slows down the camera turning entirely.

It's terrible if you lower it.

yeah you have to turn everything to the max, including sensitivity, in general imo for the game to feel somewhat good to play

I'm not a tech whore, but it looked and ran great to my untrained eyes on PS5. Enemies and smarter and beefier, the Village is changed but it's in subtle natural feeling ways, like adding more paths from front to back. I will say that it plays enough like the original that I get thrown off after stunning an enemy and pressing X to run up and melee them, only to stand around like I'm touched instead because default controls are MODERNIZED. That and the new features take some time to incorporate into muscle memory, but it's neat as hell that these new options are available. Game is dripping with atmosphere, too.

The underlying graphics, geometry, texture quality and all that stuff is really impressive ....it's the image quality that is just bad on ps5. You probably care more about graphics than image quality which is fine but for people that care about both this is quite disappointing.

PS- I'm talking about Performance mode

Last edited:

drotahorror

So far I've seen a few scripted sequences that didn't happen first time through or the second time through. Not sure if they're in the original (only played on GC on release).

Anyone find a key for that box?

Also, I can't get the hard mode to activate. Beat the demo like 5x and restarted 5x or so.

I just ordered a Deck cause I won't have access to my PC/PS5 for a little while 😬.

Lets hope the full game patched up remedies some of these errors.
It will probably get fixed and may work with a different proton version. Lots of games that work in the deck work because valve themselves come in and patch things up. I am sure the full version will likely ship with the proper proton settings.

Banned
The ground stab move is definitely a nice improvement.

how exactly? it adds literally nothing and just takes you out of the moment for an animation that does the same thing as knifing someone in the original... which you also still can do...
I don't see this as an improvement

how exactly? it adds literally nothing and just takes you out of the moment for an animation that does the same thing as knifing someone in the original... which you also still can do...
I don't see this as an improvement
I just turned on the original. First thing I did was headshot, kick them to the ground, then run over and slash their legs to kill them and save ammo. This accomplished the same thing faster and with a more realistic animation.

Banned
I just turned on the original. First thing I did was headshot, kick them to the ground, then run over and slash their legs to kill them and save ammo. This accomplished the same thing faster and with a more realistic animation.

it doesn't tho, you can still slash them on the ground in the remake, all they added is an animation that you can sometimes do when their health is low

Hugare

Eh, its exactly what I expected in terms of visuals/gameplay

As I was expecting, besides visuals, gameplay isnt "improved", its just different. Enemies are way more agressive (expected, since now you can move and aim).

Glad that they kept the melee attacks and actually added new ones. Using the knife by spaming R2 feels great.

Gameplay is like RE2/3 (obviously), so it means that its very floaty. Dont know if it works in such a fast paced game compared to the other ones, but we will see.

And I'm glad that they kept so many details from the original.

The ganado waiting to ambush you inside the second shack? Its there.
The bingo line? It's there (thank god)

I wasnt hyped at all, and that havent changed, but its better than I was expecting. It will be very well received.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Downloading just to see how it will run on my PC lol

The only thing worth in that awful stream.

Ready when they are. Because...still nothing here.
Hey, Megaman Battle Network collection was there, and it was the best thing so far for me ;)

So I waited a few hours to boot up the demo. I generally enjoyed the demo, but it still looks too bleached out in terms of the graphics. The bowl of fruit I noticed for example didn't look too bright. Grapes are a darker shade of purple.

By far the biggest issue though, is the janky aiming. My goodness. When Dr. Voorhees Wannabe came at me with his chainsaw, I pressed L1. Maybe I wasn't quick enough. But yeah. I died.

The aiming is so sluggish. Yet granted, the original wasn't that easy to play either. They should have improved these mechanics, but it feels worse. Also, when you get stunned by an enemy, Leon runs away way too slow.

Last edited:

decisions

PS5 version feels like absolute shit to play but I thought it looked and sounded great, with strong DualSense/3D audio implementation. But my experience with the PC version showed me just how revolutionary Steam Input is.

PC version looks god-tier and after dialing gyro + flick stick that is the version I will play with, easy choice. There is no simply no overstating how revolutionary of a control method that is, it just takes some time to learn how to set it up. It is the perfect middle ground between precision and immersion. Doubt I will ever play a shooter on console again until that is standardized, the gyro aim on PS5 had my hype completely deflated and playing on PC just feels amazing. It's a complete night-and-day difference or me.

Fbh

That was rather underwhelming.
Visually it looks pretty terrible on Ps5 IMO. Even in "resolution mode" its easily the blurriest game I've played on Ps5 and visually I'm seeing nothing to justify that. Also it looks quite washed out, I actually think it looks better with HDR disabled, at least on my LG C1 that way the dark areas look dark instead of grey.

bender

What time is it?
The two story house still triggers the chainsaw enemy to appear early. I put two grenades on him and the bell rang really quick to end the encounter. Random thoughts:

-Leon's hair is weird...not sure how to explain it.
-I really don't like the change to the initial Ganado encounter.
-The lead up to the initial village sandbox is really truncated and somehow even more linear.
-Overall tone is much darker and has a moodier atmosphere.
-Not really a fan of the gunpowder mechanic making its' way into this remake.
-The pistol seems to have a nice punch. Would really love to try out the riffle and red9.

Banned
The two story house still triggers the chainsaw enemy to appear early. I put two grenades on him and the bell rang really quick to end the encounter. Random thoughts:

-Leon's hair is weird...not sure how to explain it.
-I really don't like the change to the initial Ganado encounter.
-The lead up to the initial village sandbox is really truncated and somehow even more linear.
-Overall tone is much darker and has a moodier atmosphere.
-Not really a fan of the gunpowder mechanic making its' way into this remake.
-The pistol seems to have a nice punch. Would really love to try out the riffle and red9.

I also am not a fan of the changed beginning. I have no idea why they made it so claustrophobic and why they changed the first encounter to be a damn cutscene...
modern game devs out here thinking they need to turn everything into a cutscene for that "CinEmATIc" feel

even the jump out the window is a damn cutscene in this... like wtf?

Last edited:
Honestly. Liked the game and the graphics. But the IQ is messed up.

There's a white line similar to oversharpening visible on some places. Especially that cabin to the left where there's a guy waiting for you. it's really visible on the trees.

Similar to Horizon FW's IQ problem that was fixed. That is present on both modes, PS5. I'll grab a pic later maybe

MiguelItUp

silky smooth for me on pc...capcom does it again. man re engine looks amazing with all teh settings cranked up.
Yeah, I cranked everything up and it was a very smooth experience. Played with an Xbox controller and had no issue. I'd love to play the demo more, but once is enough for me. I'm already so damn hyped and release is right around the corner. I love the RE Engine so much.

bender

What time is it?
I also am not a fan of the changed beginning. I have no idea why they made it so claustrophobic and why they changed the first encounter to be a damn cutscene...
modern game devs out here thinking they need to turn everything into a cutscene for that "CinEmATIc" feel

even the jump out the window is a damn cutscene in this... like wtf?

The window jump is also a point of no return. I kind of get what they were going for with the Ganado as you encounter him again after you think he is dead, but it just doesn't work for me. Also, the trapped dog being missing (or maybe just dead leaving you with no agency) is a weird change.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are you basing that off the preview in the menu? In game I think it's a giant improvement
Low quality
hair_bad.png

image.png

Even in game, the 'better' hair seems to have weird light reflecting on it, i-e it can look completely white under some tree shadows.

Banned
The window jump is also a point of no return. I kind of get what they were going for with the Ganado as you encounter him again after you think he is dead, but it just doesn't work for me. Also, the trapped dog being missing (or maybe just dead leaving you with no agency) is a weird change.

super weird yeah, maybe he will be somewhere else?

Banned
Doesn't have pin sharp IQ but it looks reasonably good for a cross-gen game.

3-9-2023_10-08-14_pm-g5ccq.png

3-9-2023_10-07-51_pm-0tfun.png

3-9-2023_10-07-51_pm-92e96.png

well it is in motion where it falls flat. the checkerboarding in combination with their TAA implementation means shimmering everywhere.
on PC with native res + TAA it looks way smoother and less shimmery. as soon as you turn it on on PC tho it has the same aliasing issues as console

Top Bottom