• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm pretty fucking stupid right now, how d'ya stop aiming being the sensitivity of a twitter user on PS5?

If you've reduced acceleration, put it back on default, or even increase it.

The acceleration seems to be labeled incorrectly here, it directly effects the camera speed both regular and aiming.

if you wanna see the shimmering... look at the trees next to the cabin where the Ganado ambushes you

i cant post the 4K jpg I took on the PS5 here

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Looks like PC it is. Field of view and other complaints will be taken care of by mods. I have it downloaded but at the gym. Will try it later on my 1660ti.

Minsc

Gold Member
PC version, native 2560x1440 res, 120hz, no dumb image scaling tricks, runs and looks great! Regular RT, but a bunch of other options all high, very smooth image quality no pixels in sight, and just really need to crank mouse sensitivity all the way then it was great to play. A little scared to try the PS5 version next.

Banned

The acceleration seems to be labeled incorrectly here, it directly effects the camera speed both regular and aiming.

the acceleration is the edge bonus speed. if you hit the outer edge of your stick it starts moving really fast.
the issue is that your normal sensitivity on the inner ring is so fucking slow that you have to use this to have a somewhat playable game.

the whole aiming on controller is absolutely suboptimal right now and would need a couple of changes to be good, but I don't think they will actually change anything except maybe a deadzone setting

bender

What time is it?
super weird yeah, maybe he will be somewhere else?

Well, there is a dead dog in one of the traps.

Beat the demo in 5 minutes by putting two grenades on chainsaw guy again. I tried to improve on the time and tossed a second grenade while he was still on the ground which didn't kill him. I ended up killing him with the shotgun/pistol/melee, he drops 3,000 Peseta. It took forever for the bell to ring afterwards and I ended up killing 15 enemies in the encounter.

Sleepwalker

I wanted to play on my TV but the aiming on PS is not doing it for me so PC it is.

Me to my trusty 2080 super:

37db2a8d42f9c00fc83c01792d04f396.jpg

adamsapple

the acceleration is the edge bonus speed. if you hit the outer edge of your stick it starts moving really fast.
the issue is that your normal sensitivity on the inner ring is so fucking slow that you have to use this to have a somewhat playable game.

the whole aiming on controller is absolutely suboptimal right now and would need a couple of changes to be good, but I don't think they will actually change anything except maybe a deadzone setting

in my testing I noticed that if you just keep the regular camera speed to default and lower acceleration, it turns the entire camera movement into molasses. Not sure if it's a bug or their weird way, but for me the best way to keep the controls "normal" was keeping them both around the mid point.

The default aiming acceleration also gets better if you increase it a few notches.

Banned
in my testing I noticed that if you just keep the regular camera speed to default and lower acceleration, it turns the entire camera movement into molasses. Not sure if it's a bug or their weird way, but for me the best way to keep the controls "normal" was keeping them both around the mid point.

The default aiming acceleration also gets better if you increase it a few notches.

nah, for me the game is unplayable unless everything is completely maxed out.
even the highest turn speed while not aiming is still way too slow for my tastes

do all the remakes have the ugly checkerboarding? Why would they use that?

[Sigma]

It looks good to me overall(so far). Played on framerate+RT(of course motion blur off). Will use Resolution on the second run.
if you wanna see the shimmering... look at the trees next to the cabin where the Ganado ambushes you

i cant post the 4K jpg I took on the PS5 here
I noticed this.

Banned
do all the remakes have the ugly checkerboarding? Why would they use that?

yes they all use it, and RE7 and 8 too btw.
the high framerate targets is why they use it.
they want 4K or close to 4K at 60fps, and that is only possible with checkerboarding or other reconstruction.

I guess they could use FSR2 in this as it has that on PC, but honestly, at least at 1440p, FSR2 looks even worse than their checkerboarding.
the checkerboarding makes the image more aliased but at least it looks somewhat sharp on PC, with FSR2 on it looks like ass and has artifacting everywhere.

Z01m9Bf.jpg

bad quality pic I think, can't get a grip of how to post quality pics here, but get on your game, and go here, move the camera.

You should be seeing awful oversharpening, or checkerboard, I don't know what, it just looks bad and whitish on the edges of the tree branches and leaves.

yes they all use it, and RE7 and 8 too btw.
the high framerate targets is why they use it.
they want 4K or close to 4K at 60fps, and that is only possible with checkerboarding or other reconstruction.

I guess they could use FSR2 in this as it has that on PC, but honestly, at least at 1440p, FSR2 looks even worse than their checkerboarding.
the checkerboarding makes the image more aliased but at least it looks somewhat sharp on PC, with FSR2 on it looks like ass and has artifacting everywhere.
I played them all. I think it's much more noticeable in this game than before. If you can, look at the pic I posted and go there on your own game to see it on your TV, it looks really noticeable now... :messenger_confused:

Banned
Z01m9Bf.jpg

bad quality pic I think, can't get a grip of how to post quality pics here, but get on your game, and go here, move the camera.

You should be seeing awful oversharpening, or checkerboard, I don't know what, it just looks bad and whitish on the edges of the tree branches and leaves.

yeah that is their checkerboarding.
foliage + Checkerboarding is always a bad mix. that's why Horizon Forbidden West looked like pure shit at launch, you literally couldn't look anywhere without a mass amount of shimmering across the screen.

I'll take some pics and do some pixel counting too I think real quick. it also doesn't look 4K to me

Last edited:
foliage + Checkerboarding is always a bad mix. that's why Horizon Forbidden West looked like pure shit at launch, you literally couldn't look anywhere without a mass amount of shimmering across the screen.
So it is something I gotta accept. They will never work on a new solution for this game, like Guerilla did. Maybe the next RE game..

adamsapple

How long is the demo more or less ?

This is the only thing that I will play of this game before a deep deep sale, I hope it's consistent

It ends right after the village fight.

20, 30 minutes give or take and how much you want to explore pre-fight.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The underlying graphics, geometry, texture quality and all that stuff is really impressive ....it's the image quality that is just bad on ps5. You probably care more about graphics than image quality which is fine but for people that care about both this is quite disappointing.

PS- I'm talking about Performance mode

Oh, for sure. I wasn't saying I'm not a tech whore as a dismissive remark. I know the tech end and performance and framerate and all of the under the hood stuff is super fascinating to some of you, and that's cool as hell, and also provides good reading for anyone branching out into that area of interest. I just don't fit into that column. Same with sales and marketing and stuff. Some of you guys have memorized (and update) entire franchise sales figures by title and that shit makes my eyes roll back into my head.

It's really just cool that, as a hobby, it's kind of like 3D abstract art or some shit. Different people get different things out of it and it looks wildly different from varying angles, etc, etc.

Perrott

Anyone having issues with this crap limiting the offer of available output resolutions in the settings menu? For some reason it doesn't show me more than 800p lol

PS5 demo, not bad, not bad at all.

I played it once with resolution mode, everything else default, then with framerate mode, and I eventually settled on framerate mode and disabled DOF as well as camera warp/chromatic aberration.

Lethal01

No it's correct, the higher the acceleration is the faster it transitions to the speed actually being input by your thumbstick.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah it's weird
It feels like I'm playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time.
The look & feel of it is just recaptured, I don't think a Remake has made me feel that way before.
Like you said it like seeing it for the first time.
I just finished the demo on PS5. Spot on. It’s like that first journey down the road, making your way through all the shacks, and taking in all the scenery. That all feels new and reimagined. Then you get hit with this feeling of.. being at home? You know where to go, what needs to be done, and everything just feels in place. I really like how they’ve designed the interior of the houses. It feels authentic in many ways. I can’t wait to play more.

There’s an odd bloom effect that I can’t describe very well. It’s like POV has this brightness to it. I still enjoyed the demo, but that was noticeable.

Banned
Z01m9Bf.jpg

I'll take some pics and do some pixel counting too I think real quick. it also doesn't look 4K to me

so I did take a snapshot on PS5
186c9a58fc246-screensojc6e.png

and used one of the horizontal lines on that gate to count some pixels.
my initial count points towards 1800p, maybe 1944p

really not easy pixel counting this, when the image is still the AA really blurs out detail
Ua70k1i.png

I counted 26 steps on a 30 pixel ruler.

26 / 30 = 0.8666666666666667
0.8666666666666667 x 2160 = 1872

due to the imprecise nature of that edge I'd say plus or minus 1 step variance.
if I counted 1 step too many and it was actually 25 steps then it would land exactly on 1800p
but if I counted 1 too few it would be 1944p...
given that 1800p is a very common resolution I bet I overcounted and it's actually 1800p

so not a full 2160p but 1800p, and checkerboarded 1800p at that. that + foliage and the shimmering makes a lot of sense lol

also in his hair in my pic you can see what checkerboarding does to stuff like this, it looks really artifacty

Last edited:

RNG

lol the game will crash every time for me whenever I run right into the town immediately after the binocular cutscene ends and I lob a flashbang smack dab in the middle of the bonfire and try to roundhouse kick someone.

PsyEd

The demo on PC played great. HDR is not broken and whatever surround sound it has sounded really good in my HT. Pretty solid 80fps average the last chaotic area with my old i7 8700k bottlenecking the 4080 at "max setting". Had to pre-order...I know I can't stand watching others play and talk about it. Bring it on....time to revisit in style!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Demo on PC runs great on my system. But, sadly, I still suck at this game. Considerably.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh, for sure. I wasn't saying I'm not a tech whore as a dismissive remark. I know the tech end and performance and framerate and all of the under the hood stuff is super fascinating to some of you, and that's cool as hell, and also provides good reading for anyone branching out into that area of interest. I just don't fit into that column. Same with sales and marketing and stuff. Some of you guys have memorized (and update) entire franchise sales figures by title and that shit makes my eyes roll back into my head.

It's really just cool that, as a hobby, it's kind of like 3D abstract art or some shit. Different people get different things out of it and it looks wildly different from varying angles, etc, etc.
You and me both. For me gaming just about playing and having fun rather than worry about techs or sales figures.....I dont understand them or have any interest trying to understand.

Top Bottom