• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Man, this project has turned incredible. I wasn't really a fan at first if I'm being completely honest because the texture replacements for Leon seemed too smooth and the color is off (this still bothers me, despite how good it looks), but every new update has impressed me more than the last. The work you guys are doing, finding the original sources out in the wild and re-photographing them, is just incredible. The replacement accuracy because of this has skyrocketed.

Really good work. I don't have a gaming rig at the moment but if I do by the time you finish you can bet your ass I'm installing this mod and playing this at the highest resolution I can.

I wish effect improvements were possible (even tessalation like I mentioned earlier) or things like ENBs. There are a billion reasons why not, I'm sure, but I've beaten this game so many times that I would kill to play it totally visually revamped the next time.

Alastor

Played the game on PS2 only, didn't realize the textures were SO bad. didn't look that terrible on a CRT ;) Anyway, AMAZING work. I have the HD port on Steam waiting for your mod.

This might actually be the greatest WebM ever made.

Just wait until it features the new textures!

mindblown6.gif

DOWN

Banned
Cool stuff OP, though the new texture details are so small that they almost look like solid colors.

Cool stuff OP, though the new texture details are so small that they almost look like solid colors.

Thanks for the feedback! Any particular shot where you're noticing this? (I'm thinking perhaps you were looking at some of the earliest shots with Leon's jacket?)

Soodanim

I'm going to have to go for a walk and calm down, I'm going to end up doing myself an injury. My reaction to you finding the exact wall Capcom used for a texture has blown my damn mind.

I don't know how I've never see this thread before, but I've already followed the Twitter account and I'll be subscribing to this thread. The fact that one of my favourite games of all time is getting a texture mod this good is... I can't think of a good enough word. You guys are unreal.

Clockwork5

Looking really good. I hope you guys are enjoying the process and learning a ton :)

We certainly appreciate your hard work!

I can't think of a game more deserving of this kind of treatment, and you guys are doing an amazing job. Capcom should be fucking paying you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Feeling so much better and have some updates to share. :)

080804.jpg

I put some comments up at the site about some of the differences you might see. But otherwise, enjoy!

If we can just find Sarah Amy Elizabeths grave we could probably find all the rest of the tombstones!!!! (This is a crazy adventure I hope noone actually goes on)

Golnei

If we can just find Sarah Amy Elizabeths grave we could probably find all the rest of the tombstones!!!! (This is a crazy adventure I hope noone actually goes on)

Desecrating tombs in the name of interactive entertainment is probably something that should stay buried with decades-old Acclaim marketing.

Revised the OP to more accurately reflect the state of the project.

Sorry if it's not proper to ask for this, but would it be possible for a mod to edit the title of the thread to read: "Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread" or something along those lines? If not, no worries.

Edit: Thank you for the thread title update!! :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Revised the OP to more accurately reflect the state of the project.

Sorry if it's not proper to ask for this, but would it be possible for a mod to edit the title of the thread to read: "Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread" or something along those lines? If not, no worries.

You should probably just PM one of the mods who are online right now.

List of mods/admins here

By the way, great to see the OP updated!

DOWN

Banned
Thanks for the feedback! Any particular shot where you're noticing this? (I'm thinking perhaps you were looking at some of the earliest shots with Leon's jacket?)

The jacket indeed prompted that observation! Tombstones and more look awesome. I've since looked at more shots on the site and I'm really excited by this now.

Schryver

Nice job on the new OP. Just now found the website too. Awesome stuff. I am definitely gonna wait to experience this game for the first time (i know i know) when you finish the project...so hurry up!

Soule

Playing through this now for the first time since I had a Gamecube and have to say I really appreciate the effort and sentiment behind this. Best of luck!

What do you guys use to mod the textures? I looked around and can't find any tutorials apart from texmod.
There's a program that allows you to unpack / repack the files. For more info, it would be good to ask on http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/ -- and to start with, this thread has good info and I believe you can download the program (basically a small script) there as well: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/828/lfs-format

Hope that helps!

This project is awesome, especially the difference is huge, cannot wait till it is finished, so I can experience RE4 in Full HD quality, keep up this awesome work.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here are some progress shots from the next area – the room where you fight El Gigante. Also, I revised one of the tombstones from the previous room to more accurately reflect the original texture.

081603.jpg

Sweet christ that's incredible.

I'd listen to a design doc about how you guys found some of these textures. I still think about that exact random-ass brick wall texture you found

Nemmy

Once again I'm amazed that a change of textures can make so much of a difference. That gate mechanism looks so much more detailed, it's hard to believe you didn't touch up on the model geometry in any way.

I'm finding those comparison shots strangely educational. Really makes me appreciate just how important a texture is, and how it can make a simple object look far less simple when done just right. Incredible.

Top Bottom