• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

070803.jpg

You guys are doing an amazing job.

There's just the bottom part of the wooden planks that is lacking the little broken parts. Really adds a lot and the new one feels too perfect and straight.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You guys are doing an amazing job.

There's just the bottom part of the wooden planks that is lacking the little broken parts. Really adds a lot and the new one feels too perfect and straight.

I think that because it was low resolution, it could get away with using empty black to say "hey look these parts are broken". But with the high res version, since you can't literally make that part of the model transparent to see to the other side, it would end up being empty blackness.

I think that because it was low resolution, it could get away with using empty black to say "hey look these parts are broken". But with the high res version, since you can't literally make that part of the model transparent to see to the other side, it would end up being empty blackness.
You beat me to it. That's pretty much it. And it would become especially noticeable in the fence posts used in that area, which rely on the same texture. If the wood was splintered, you'd expect to see through it, but instead you'd see opaque black on a polygonal fence post. :)

Guri

Ah, nice, thought it said dolphin in OP. Cant wait to try this, i imagine the game will actually look fantastic with the new textures. Already looks pretty good.

Actually, he said he played the game on Dolphin and also saw some Texture Mods for that version, but this mod specifically is for the new PC version, not for Dolphin. At least for now.

News Bot

Banned
Astounding work. Keep it up, and I can't wait for the finished product!

One question though, are the texture changes reflected in cutscenes? That would particularly be ace.

No matter how many times I open this thread, you guys have posted something new that totally blows me away. I mean...that wall texture in the shooting gallery, HOW?! How the fuck did you find that?! what magic are you employing to achieve this?!!

Anilusion

I just found this thread for the first time, and this is some of the best texture work I have ever seen. It matches the original style spot on, and looks amazing!

GeekComplex

Neo Member
I too have been so foolish as to never give this thread a look until tonight and I must say I am damned impressed. Assuming these screens are of small bits and not the only corners you've finished, I'd say the timeline is closer to that 1 year mark than 2, and I'd happily take an HD Resi4 made with genuine heart and effort over a Capcom half ass cash in any day, and willing to bet it becomes a legendary mod if executed properly. Keep up the fantastic work!

chaosaeon

Been watching this mod for awhile. This is amazing work, some of the best texture updates I've ever seen, easily up there with Maldo.

Zomba13

It's always a joy seeing this thread bumped and seeing new pictures. Absolutely phenomenal work and easily the texture mod that most accurately captures the designers original intent. I seriously can't wait for this to be finished so I can grab the PC version and start a new playthrough.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Small update this time (feeling ill, going to sleep early tonight):

Woah, those gates are actually based off real world objects? I always thought it was stylized in such a video gamey way that they must have designed it on their own.

That looks fantastic in game btw.

Absolutely amazing work. Things like this always make me wonder how a company with shit loads of employees don't do this and more when a few people could do this and possibly even more if given the full rights of said game.

picard_clapping.gif

Verdict from the Dr. is viral sinus infection. Been in bed the last few days and probably 1 or 2 more.. Albert just put up a bunch of progress updates from the castle area if you want to check them out. A couple here:

Also a few vids up as well. Everything is WIP of course.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Verdict from the Dr. is viral sinus infection. Been in bed the last few days and probably 1 or 2 more.. Albert just put up a bunch of progress updates from the castle area if you want to check them out. A couple here:

Also a few vids up as well. Everything is WIP of course.

That first one is great, and that last one is hilariously better. I legitimately let out a chuckle because it's absurd how much better your guys texture is. The middle one still has the photograph look to it on the colorful flower part, but you mention it's a WiP so I imagine it'll only get better.

Yep, I'm waiting til you guys are done before I play RE4 again, then it'll take me 40 hours staring in awe at everything close-up

Maybe said before, but how much texture assets are even in the game? What percent do you think you've done?

I'm assuming it would skyrocket at the castle with the amount of unique assets it has (and Albert is finding IRL, I don't think I ever said how awesome that is), then the island is a bunch of concrete and terminals, a bit samey but varied with the lighting.

The texture work is amazing, Mikami would be proud.

Quiet frankly I'm flabbergasted at the attention todetail you two have, can't wait 'til the laboratory.

Golnei

Again, this is one of the most impressive and faithful remasters I've ever seen. For it to be accomplished with no remodeling or even remapping is some kind of terrifying witchcraft.

TrueGrime

Good job OP. We did the same thing for our Falcon 4 simulator engine. The original tiles were based of 512x512 which gave drawn out, pixelated imagines. However, by replacing them with 2048x2048 we were able to gain a lot more detail.

Top Bottom