• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Fractal

Banned
Awesome work, this is how good modding should be done, upgrading the game visuals, while preserving the original art style. Definitely one of the best re-texture projects I saw recently.

Gattsu25

Banned
Awesome work, this is how good modding should be done, upgrading the game visuals, while preserving the original art style. Definitely one of the best re-texture projects I saw recently.

Yeap. Too often HD-texture projects change the art style in random ways.

The way how you guys are maintaining the heart of RE4 while making it look modern? Commendable.

Seriously, fantastic work.

Shredderi

This is nothing short of amazing. The way you're staying so true to the original look is superb. I'm gonna hold off on buying RE4 for now and get it when this project is done. I can wait.

tatFqrE.jpg

How have I never seen this before? Beyond hilarious.

This is definitely one of the most impressive retexturing efforts I've seen in awhile.

solarus

I'm amazed by the dedication you guys have in tracking down the source material in real life and re-texturing from that. Just wow. Capcom should be ashamed of their "HD" version of the game, this is how you really do it.

Incredible stuff. Truely is amazing how close to the original textures you guys are being (even when you don't find them in real life)

Albert's reached the castle (in terms of environmental textures) and posted a big update!

All is WIP and represents a "first pass" at redoing these textures.

Many more shots up at the site: www.re4hd.com

And feel free to follow the project on twitter: @re4hdproject

GuitarAtomik said:
Maybe this has been asked before, but how the hell are you guys finding the original texture sources? That's so bonkers to me.
Couple of ways (and this is all Albert's doing):
1. Searching through stock photo sites, (I think some Chinese stock photo sites and a few Russian sites) yielded a good amount of ground / wall textures
2. Searching through photo sharing sites, especially Flickr, for photos from certain areas in Spain and Wales, yielded good images from which to recreate a lot of the decorative textures (especially for the Castle and Village areas) (Capcom sourced (i.e. photographed) a good number of their textures from specific cities in Spain and from Wales)
3. Living in Spain has led to many instances of coming across doors and monuments which he has photographed and used.

:)

Been following on and off this project. You're doing a very good job sir. Also, the fact that there are only diffuse textures in the game without normals or spec maps really makes it a do-able project with such a small team.

Continue guys, I'll get the PC version just to play the complete project of yours. :D

If you are having fun then continue. The finish project will look good in a portfolio and you will assuadly learn much in the process

Great work. This is definitely not a waste of time as long as you stick to your timeframe.

At the end of your timeframe, leave it behind and move onto a different project with different workflows and/or contributing to a project with additional modders working together.

However, and I may be contradicting myself, finish this project no matter how long it takes. Both are viable paths to improvement.

Best.

It's been said many times, but it bears repeating- the fidelity of the textures, attention to detail, and all around faithfulness to the source material is incredible. I'm convinced you guys are creating the definitive texture pack, and on behalf of all RE fans I'd like to say thanks for your dedication. Oh, how I wish Capcom would pick these up for an official re-release. Astounding work. :)

Fantastic work guys! I was waiting albert's texture patch 3.0 for years.I remember he hinting this "source" textures for years in the old invisionfree's forum.Finally!

Congrats for both of you!

Is there a way to mod tessalation? I know nothing about programming, hahaha. If those sharp edges were smoothed over it'd look so nice.

Seik

Banned
I just tried a HD texture pack for Xenoblade for the first time, yesterday.

It felt like it gives a whole new breath to the game, hyped me to do it again once more.

So far, I'm pretty sure your work will do the same thing for me with RE4, incredible! :D

This is so amazing. I honestly can't believe what's happening here is actually happening.

Playing RE4 again is going to be amazing.

Wow, I remember seeing this thread when there was just one texture done. The work that has been accomplished is insane! Keep it up :D

akira28

Holy Crap. I might actually play this game for the first time ever. I'll definitely use this pack. Looks great.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Realized we never posted comparison shots from the "farm" section of the village (where you first encounter the blue medallions):

It is legitimately comical how much better that hay pile looks with your textures. Great work.

Nemmy

Realized we never posted comparison shots from the "farm" section of the village (where you first encounter the blue medallions):

That haystack blows my mind. Did you really "only" change the texture there? It's unbelieveable how much better it looks.

That haystack blows my mind. Did you really "only" change the texture there? It's unbelieveable how much better it looks.

Haha yeah, it's basically a texture with an alpha channel that gets layers on top of itself a couple of times to form the haystack.

And here's the latest in Albert's "Look familiar" series, which we post on our Twitter account (@re4hdproject):

BsTQ9kMIAAE1JU_.jpg:large

Top Bottom