• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Is there a reason why the game look a bit blurred in most of the shots? It doesn't really look as sharp as it should for a 1080p+ game

In general it feels like the game has a soft "feel" to it (regardless of whether you're using thr original textures, the UHD version, or our mod). Does anyone know why this would be? Is it something that can be addressed through settings?

epmode

Is there a reason why the game look a bit blurred in most of the shots? It doesn't really look as sharp as it should for a 1080p+ game

I think the game is doing some kind of upscaling regardless of the resolution selected. It's not nearly as bad as the few games that don't go beyond 720p or 1080p but something weird is going on. The original PC port is significantly sharper.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
In general it feels like the game has a soft "feel" to it (regardless of whether you're using thr original textures, the UHD version, or our mod). Does anyone know why this would be? Is it something that can be addressed through settings?

Resident Evil 4 originally was a 16:9 only game, so it had those black bars rendered in. When you're actually playing in 16:9 though, it would tecnically still include the black bars in, so what they do is crop the screen inward. That means that you're rendering at 1920x1080 with black bars, cropping in so that the black bars aren't visible, then scaling that UP to 1920x1080.

If you want some crisp visuals, it's worthwhile to try downsampling, as that will render at a bigger number (something like 3840x2160), zoom in a bit, then scale that DOWN to 1080p, which just ends up being really ridiculous downsampling, but will look a lot better.

UrbanRats

Man this is one amazing mod.

Only downside? I want to wait for it to be complete (or close to complete) before i actually get the HD version of the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
CrisDeCuba I think it would be a good idea to work on the Mercenaries textures since those are the sections people can spend a long amount of time in, with significantly less effort than having to texture out the entire single player game.

A few more progress shots. :)

042501.jpg

042502.jpg

CrisDeCuba I think it would be a good idea to work on the Mercenaries textures since those are the sections people can spend a long amount of time in, with significantly less effort than having to texture out the entire single player game.
Appreciate the suggestion, but I think we're simply going to continue the momentum in working through the single player experience. :) (And would it be terrible to admit that Mercenaries never gripped me as much as the main game? :))

scitek

Amazing work.

Are you going through the campaign chronologically, or bouncing back and forth between chapters depending on what you feel like doing? Just wondering how you approach it.

A-V-B

Wow, wh--- how in the world did he find the original hair texture? Is there a toupee just floating around somewhere in rural Spain? I am staggered.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Revisiting Leon's hair (while still a work in progress, feeling pretty good about this so far) - this is Albert's work (he found what seems to be the original texture his hair was made from):

Wow, wh--- how in the world did he find the original hair texture? Is there a toupee just floating around somewhere in rural Spain? I am staggered.

Fuckin seriously! That's hilarious.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Some of Albert's progress (both shots contain the actual textures originally used, but found in HD):

:)

Where did he find the original textures? I'm assuming these instances aren't him actually taking pictures of original on site locations?

Nemmy

Where did he find the original textures? I'm assuming these instances aren't him actually taking pictures of original on site locations?

I'm curious about this too. At this point I'm kinda imagining him on an epic journey across rural Spain, staring at gates, houses and crates and snapping close-up pictures of them, probably baffling the local populace.

Mengetsu

Capcom should be ashamed even if the team had time constraints. If your going to do something do it right like these two people have. Two people! If this gets done in a year then there's no excuse for Capcom to not have done with actual teams and a budget. This is a prime example of what an HD remaster should be. I give my props to you man.

sankao

Capcom should be ashamed even if the team had time constraints. If your going to do something do it right like these two people have. Two people! If this gets done in a year then there's no excuse for Capcom to not have done with actual teams and a budget. This is a prime example of what an HD remaster should be. I give my props to you man.

Especially since it should be trivial for Capcom to retrieve the original pictures the textures were derived from.

kick51

Banned

That's not how it works. Capcom USA basically is a group of fans who needs to beg Capcom Japan to let them do stuff. If Japan won't put up the money, then it doesn't get done. They aren't going to work for free and can only work with what they have. as you can see, Capcom Japan is quite cheap.

Mengetsu

That's not how it works. Capcom USA basically is a group of fans who needs to beg Capcom Japan to let them do stuff. If Japan won't put up the money, then it doesn't get done. They aren't going to work for free and can only work with what they have. as you can see, Capcom Japan is quite cheap.
This sad to hear honestly..what has become of that company?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Yo the RE4 remake for Steam is a great port and they've been supporting it really, really well - regardless of if the textures aren't perfectly HD.

You can appreciate the work crisdecuba and Albert are doing without having to disparage the great work the people working on/who worked on the port are doing as well.

Mechazawa

The work you guys are doing, on top of making a better looking, but faithful mod to the game, is also a hilariously insightful look into the world of UVs and textures for game development.

I think we've gotten enough anecdotal evidence to know that japanese developers are notoriously bad at preserving their games, especially the further back in time you go. The modeler who worked on Resident Evil 4 a decade ago might know where the original source image for Leon's fucking hair is, or maybe even know the person who would, but that's probably asking a little much for some Polish dude over at QLOC 10 years after the fact.

Especially when the the point of QLOC's duties were probably get a running PC version first, add graphical flourishes second.

Generally speaking, some Chinese stock photo websites, and some random blogs where people uploaded their trip's photos and portions of the photos seem to match an in-game texture (or a portion of an in-game texture).

Yo the RE4 remake for Steam is a great port and they've been supporting it really, really well - regardless of if the textures aren't perfectly HD.

You can appreciate the work crisdecuba and Albert are doing without having to disparage the great work the people working on/who worked on the port are doing as well.

Agreed - 100%! They've done a great job, have provided an excellent foundation to build upon, and have continued to support the game after release.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Generally speaking, some Chinese stock photo websites, and some random blogs where people uploaded their trip's photos and portions of the photos seem to match an in-game texture (or a portion of an in-game texture).

That's crazy cool. Thanks for the insight.

sn00zer

Are there any lighting mods currently out there? These textures would really shine with shadows creeping in everywhere.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fixing seams and poorly mapped textures:

And a couple more shots up at the site.

My eyes just rolled in the back of my head.

Holy shit.

The difference in these examples is god damn MASSIVE.

Incredible job dude!!

Are there any lighting mods currently out there? These textures would really shine with shadows creeping in everywhere.

Others may have more insight, but you could probably force SSAO in someway to get some more realistic shadows in there.

Top Bottom