• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm not crazy about the curtain in the last picture because it seems like a photograph just stuck into the game, but everything else looks really great.

I'm not crazy about the curtain in the last picture because it seems like a photograph just stuck into the game, but everything else looks really great.
Yup, I agree. There's also a blurry bit to address in that texture. Please consider it WIP. :)

Some updates from the section completed this week:

053105.jpg

053104.jpg

053103.jpg

053102.jpg

053101.jpg

Golnei

It must be a complete nightmare working with the original maps at a HD resolution. Doing that while producing the results you do is nothing short of miraculous.

Along with Maldos textures for Crysis 2, i think this is seriously the most impressive texture project ive ever seen. Absolutely incredible stuff guys

KHlover

Banned
Is Albert a wizard? Or is he a Capcom employee with access to RE4's design documents?

I mean, how else could he have found a specific hole in a specific wall? That shit's crazy!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How are you finding the original textures? Are there like a few sites that aggregate various textures that most game devs pull from?

A-V-B

This project is fucking magic. Capcom needs to snap you two up and sell your package as DLC or something. I'd pay for it.

How are you finding the original textures? Are there like a few sites that aggregate various textures that most game devs pull from?

I don't know about that specific texture but I do know this: The co-developer of this texture pack, is the guy that made the original texture pack for the first PC version. He had found an incredibly high amount of source textures, mostly because he is from Spain and Capcom based their textures on spanish architecture.

Coreda

The continued dedication on this project is commendable. Managing to keep the textures so faithful to the source clearly takes a lot of effort and thought.

Velikost

Been following this since you first started the thread, and I just want to say, thank you for doing this. Resident Evil 4 is my favorite game of all time, and it's a shame Capcom didn't give it this kind of treatment when they released the PC version.

Hopefully by the time you're done, I'll have a beefy PC to play through the game with this pack, and fall in love all over again.

Fantastic work! The typewriter is my favorite. One 'complaint' though, if you will.

While the texture on the right is more true to its source, I actually prefer the one on the middle because of its colors being more appropriately dreary. Not sure if I'm the only one bothered by it - "bother" is too strong of a word since I like everything else about this mod project - but the pattern stood out less to me with its more muted / washed out palette in the second picture.

I don't know about that specific texture but I do know this: The co-developer of this texture pack, is the guy that made the original texture pack for the first PC version. He had found an incredibly high amount of source textures, mostly because he is from Spain and Capcom based their textures on spanish architecture.

That's right. And he's still finding things randomly from time to time in his day to day commutes. :)
Is that second one actually the same source texture? The default one in game is so compressed they look barely recognizably the same! Holy hell!

Also why don't bear traps hurt ganados?
Yup, the overall door is the source texture. :) But yeah by the time you get to just the door handle and whatnot the low resolution eliminates all the detail.

It's always bothered me that the bear traps don't hurt them... they walk right through with no issues... :-(
Fantastic work! The typewriter is my favorite. One 'complaint' though, if you will.

While the texture on the right is more true to its source, I actually prefer the one on the middle because of its colors being more appropriately dreary. Not sure if I'm the only one bothered by it - "bother" is too strong of a word since I like everything else about this mod project - but the pattern stood out less to me with its more muted / washed out palette in the second picture.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it wouldn't be too hard to go back and adjust the colors a bit to achieve a more dreary effect while still keeping the original source texture. The main factor is time. I'll make note of this and go back as time allows. :)

Also, wanted to share that we've created a Twitter account for the project where we'll be posting daily updates with what we're working on (text updates, mainly, with a few pics here and there). Albert will be posting once-a-week updates showing a real life location / object used in the game. For example, here's the first one:

Bp8h-gcIcAAHt7e.jpg:large

So for those of you who use Twitter, feel free to follow us there as well: https://twitter.com/re4hdproject

chadboban

That's right. And he's still finding things randomly from time to time in his day to day commutes. :)

Yup, the overall door is the source texture. :) But yeah by the time you get to just the door handle and whatnot the low resolution eliminates all the detail.

It's always bothered me that the bear traps don't hurt them... they walk right through with no issues... :-(

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, it wouldn't be too hard to go back and adjust the colors a bit to achieve a more dreary effect while still keeping the original source texture. The main factor is time. I'll make note of this and go back as time allows. :)

Also, wanted to share that we've created a Twitter account for the project where we'll be posting daily updates with what we're working on (text updates, mainly, with a few pics here and there). Albert will be posting once-a-week updates showing a real life location / object used in the game. For example, here's the first one:

So for those of you who use Twitter, feel free to follow us there as well: https://twitter.com/re4hdproject

This is absolutely incredible stuff! Followed.

scitek

That is indeed amazing. I also really like it because RE4's one of my favorite games, and I love seeing the real-life stuff that helped inspire it.

Xpliskin

My mind is blown.
You guys must be part of the real Dagon cult :p

EDIT: What's the name of the village/place in Spain ? I'd definetely try to pass by if I'm ever in Spain again.

Great project. I always appreciate when modders try to stick to the spirit of the source material and you're doing a fantastic job of it.

linko9

Every time I check in this gets more and more impressive. Keep it up! Those last shots are especially amazing!

Nemmy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is incredible. Indeed the best fan retexture of any game I've ever seen.

Top Bottom