• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Busy weekend coming up, so I worked harder during the week:

040501.jpg

040503.jpg

040504.jpg

A few more shots at the site.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Anteater

wow these are really great and really close to the original vision, it's like setting an official texture slider from low to ultra :0

good job dude

stilgar

Dude, you're doing an impressive work. Your mod doesn't betray RE4's mood, and it is by itself an impressive achievement.

Converse

Banned
What those guys said. Your work is basically what my memories of Resident Evil 4 look like, though the game never looked like that in reality (if that makes sense). It's a massive improvement that stays wholly true to RE4's aesthetic.

ref

Love it, it's so rare to see someone actually stay true with the original look of a game in today's texture modding world.

Texture work looks fantastic, cannot wait for a full release.

These HQ textures look amazing.

Now THIS is the quality I was expecting from that new Capcom release of their so called "HD Resident Evil 4"

This work totally outshines their own.

But why is that?

Was it just a lazy bear minimum effort done by Capcom to make some money?

Looking good but now Leon's coat looks somewhat cartoonish. It worked in low res but next to the hi res textures it looks weird.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Great job crisdecuba, you and albert are doing a fine job so far and sticking very close to the original style. I like it :) Looking forward to seeing more and then playing the whole game with the new textures in the next year or two. (or however long it takes you!)

JNT

The texture work is amazing. Very true to the originals.

However, I keep wondering if high resolution textures are going to make low poly models stand out like a sore thumb?

Looking good but now Leon's coat looks somewhat cartoonish. It worked in low res but next to the hi res textures it looks weird.

I think that can be offset somewhat by the texturing used on the jacket, which isn't final (it'll likely be the last texture that gets finalized. :)).

The texture work is amazing. Very true to the originals.

However, I keep wondering if high resolution textures are going to make low poly models stand out like a sore thumb?
I'm sure that'll be the case at times (though I have only really noticed it twice so far - Leon's jacket lining and the shingles on the roof in the village), though even then it's still better to play with better textures. ;)

AlterOdin

WOW! These are really, really good, cant wait to try them out in you first "demo". I saving my pro run until this is done (I know this is far down the line)

It's insane that you, in some cases, have the actual real life picture representation of textures. (Church brick wall).

One question; Since bump mapping has been re-enabled, and that you had a jacket bump map test, can environments textures have bumpmapping (brickwalls, etc)? I am not suggesting you invest time on this (if its possible), but was really curious if this is possible.

Updates, and some news:

1. The "demo" will be released on Saturday, 4/19 (more details re: the time and whatnot will come later in the week). This will contain revised textures for the prologue of the game (everything until Leon says, "Where's everyone going? Bingo?")

2. Some updated progress shots from the Del Lago area of the game. These are Albert's work, as I've been focused on finalizing the textures for the demo:

And of course, a few more shots and commentary at the site: http://www.re4hd.com

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cris, have you tried contacting Capcom?

Izcarielo

Banned
Updates, and some news:

1. The "demo" will be released on Saturday, 4/19 (more details re: the time and whatnot will come later in the week). This will contain revised textures for the prologue of the game (everything until Leon says, "Where's everyone going? Bingo?")

2. Some updated progress shots from the Del Lago area of the game. These are Albert's work, as I've been focused on finalizing the textures for the demo:

And of course, a few more shots and commentary at the site: http://www.re4hd.com

Given the language of the screens youre posting i can safely say: eres un puto CRACK!

zoukka

Jesus fuck, not only are you uprezzing the textures, you guys are actually keeping everything close to the original vision. That is the hardest part to pull off.

My hat is off to you.

Nemmy

As an ultra-conservative gamer who usually avoids any "high res" texture packs like the plague, fearing they'll ruin the feel of the game... I am lost for words. This is phenomenal.

Capcom should pay you. And fear you. You're making them look totally incompetent.

This is actually the first HD texture mod I've seen that's actually good. Instead of just adding higher detail maps you actually go to extreme lengths to preserve the original colour grading and makro detail.

Amazing work. Keep it up.

Jharp

Slightly off topic, but does the Ultimate HD version for PC retain the real-time stuff from GCN, rather than the pre-rendered stuff that the PS2 had to use (and, if I remember correctly, every version since the PS2 has also used)?

I recently picked up the PC version to get my fiftieth play through in before Evil Within comes out, but It's not currently installed so I can't check.

Slightly off topic, but does the Ultimate HD version for PC retain the real-time stuff from GCN, rather than the pre-rendered stuff that the PS2 had to use (and, if I remember correctly, every version since the PS2 has also used)?

I recently picked up the PC version to get my fiftieth play through in before Evil Within comes out, but It's not currently installed so I can't check.
Real-time cutscenes except for PS2 exclusive stuff (Separate Ways) which are extremely low-res pre-rendered. Not sure if the gangster alternate outfit got real-time cutscenes in this one, I know they weren't present on the Wii version.

sega4ever

This. Your doing for free what those lazy fuckers couldn't do with cash.

in other news those lazy mother fuckers just released beta patch v.1.0.6

Fixes & Tweaks:

Re-tuned water reflection animation speed when played in 60fps mode
Removed static texture on burning candles in the church (Separate Ways/Another Order)
Re-tuned speed at which cannon shells are launched in Chapter 4 of Separate Ways/Another Order
Fixed one pixel-width vertical line that was uncovered on the left side of the screen in Credits and Options menu
Removed orange-ish post process screen effect when Leon and Ashley reenters the church after the Saddler cutscene.
Added back wake effect in 60fps mode after defeating Del Lago.

"Anisotropy" setting can now be saved when altered in the config.ini file. Valid settings are "0" "2" "4" "8" "16" without the quotation mark. Smaller value will result in blurrier textures, but this may help rendering performance for PCs that are at or below minimum specs.
Added a 4th color filter option in the graphics setting menu which slightly reduces the overall 'warm' color effect of the screen (Red and Green toned down on the RGB scale)

1-2 years of your free time? I don't want to sound mean, but you could teach yourself a new language and a new career in that amount of time.

yeah, you can pretty much learn how to texture stuff at the pro level in this amount of time. This project seems like an unnecessary waste of time and resources to me.

Geez, this is just a fun hobby for him, wth!?

Anyway, good luck with this, man, it looks good so far! I love when people embrace projects like this!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
By the end of it all crisdecuba you and albert are going to have one big fuck off portfolio that's for sure :p

Anteater

Is there a reason why the game look a bit blurred in most of the shots? It doesn't really look as sharp as it should for a 1080p+ game

Top Bottom