• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

ekgrey

You and Albert are amazing. I get so excited every time I see this on the front page after an absence and get to see more progress pics. I think I'm looking forward to this more than any retail game at this point.

I am so happy to see such care, dedication and skill put into restoring a game I love. Thanks for all the hard work! I hope you will be accepting donations when you release.

Ricky_R

031003.jpg

Rat and elephant had a baby?

Steamlord

Looking amazing as usual.

I might be wrong, but it looks like the original Amenhotep logo is supposed to be some kind of ankh? Hard to tell.

Looking amazing as usual.

I might be wrong, but it looks like the original Amenhotep logo is supposed to be some kind of ankh? Hard to tell.

Yup, you're right! I have that on the list for a future revision. Good eye!
Interesting choice to change the text to Spanish. On one hand it makes sense since they're in Spain, on the other, it's not completely faithful to the original. Maybe make it optional? I understand that it's still WIP of course. Everything looks great!
It's a judgment call we have to make sometimes: instances where the original texture conflicts with the game world itself. In this case I believe the right direction is to maintain the cohesiveness of the game world and be true the original intent: a game set in Spain.

I am legitimately astounded as to how you guys can recreate the textures so perfectly. Do you create the textures from scratch? I've tried to do texture work in the past and finding something that's close to the original is already hard enough. But your is literally a 99% perfect direct upscale. Props to you guys. Seriously.

FLAguy954

I have no words. I play through resident evil 4 a couple times a year start to finish, I am now putting my next play through off until this is finished. I don't care how long it takes, it will be amazing.

Ditto. I can't even fathom running through the game again until this mod is complete.

Some updates from the room where the Zealot with the red robe and goat skull mask runs away from you (although as you probably know, if you are skilled you can kill him before he gets to the machine gun :)).

For fun, see if you can guess the different real-life portraits that went into creating the re-creation of the painting of the man with the mustache. Here are some hints: the mustache comes from a smart person who lived in the 1900s; the hair comes from a smart person who lived in the 1600s; the rest of the face comes from an artist who lived in the 1800s. :)

And of course, this is a work in progress. Enjoy! re4hd.com

Parsnip

Wow at the Newton, Einstein & Beethoven painting recreation. If you hadn't said it was put together from 3 different sources like that, I would have never guessed.

Risible

I've played through RE4 at least 20 times, and I'm saving my next playthrough for when you've completed this project. STELLAR work. You should be really proud of yourselves. Simply amazing.

Wow at the Newton, Einstein & Beethoven painting recreation. If you hadn't said it was put together from 3 different sources like that, I would have never guessed.

My gut tells me the original guy looks more like Alex Trebek with long hair, but alas, I couldn't find a good portrait for him. :)

Golnei

Your recreations of the portrait, wood paneling and note are as strong as always, but the improvement on that stone pillar is ridiculous - you managed to incorporate detailed, intricate carving in the place of a couple of blurry, indistinct shadows while not affecting the composition of the scene at all.

Also, though the frame, ceiling, wall and canvas all look fantastic in the last image, I can't help but think the image of the knight is a little jarring; seeming much more like a photo compared to the significantly more naturalistic appearance you achieved on the portrait in the fourth image.

Either way, overall everything is as impressive as it's always been.

Your recreations of the portrait, wood paneling and note are as strong as always, but the improvement on that stone pillar is ridiculous - you managed to incorporate detailed, intricate carving in the place of a couple of blurry, indistinct shadows while not affecting the composition of the scene at all.

Also, though the frame, ceiling, wall and canvas all look fantastic in the last image, I can't help but think the image of the knight is a little jarring; seeming much more like a photo compared to the significantly more naturalistic appearance you achieved on the portrait in the fourth image.

Either way, overall everything is as impressive as it's always been.

Funny thing is, the source imagery for the knight is a painting of a knight, rather that a photo of a knight. :)

Nerrel

Looking good.

224A.jpg

I wonder why that is and was it like that on all versions.

I really like this change. I always wondered how Leon wasn't falling through that floor. The new meshing looks even better from high up:
https://youtu.be/snKTg2ZLycA?t=4m41s

Bit of a hijack, but can anyone with RE4UHD tell me if the keyboard/mouse controls have a cursor aiming option like RE5 on PC does? I ask because it's pretty much required for using a wiimote+nunchuk to play.

I'm not going back to dual analog for this. It's either Wiimote or Steam controller.

Unai

I really like this change. I always wondered how Leon wasn't falling through that floor. The new meshing looks even better from high up:
https://youtu.be/snKTg2ZLycA?t=4m41s

Bit of a hijack, but can anyone with RE4UHD tell me if the keyboard/mouse controls have a cursor aiming option like RE5 on PC does? I ask because it's pretty much required for using a wiimote+nunchuk to play.

I'm not going back to dual analog for this. It's either Wiimote or Steam controller.

It doesn't.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This thread always gives me such a giddy laugh. The new textures are SO much better.

And giving actual 3D depth to the chains is still really cool.

The new fenced floor makes WAY more sense. I imagine they probably had it that way at some point, but the low resolution made it a shimmery mess that hurt the eyes.

RiZ III

More of Albert's work!

Many more shots up at the site: re4hd.com

What's crazy in that wooden wall screenshot is how accurate the new textures are compared to the original. The little scratches, the dark/light areas, and other little details are in exactly in the same place as the original textures. It's not like the new texture is just some random wood. Amazing.

What's crazy in that wooden wall screenshot is how accurate the new textures are compared to the original. The little scratches, the dark/light areas, and other little details are in exactly in the same place as the original textures. It's not like the new texture is just some random wood. Amazing.

One clarification: If a screenshot says "Restoration" it means that the original texture or real life location was found and used to "restore" the original texture to HD. If it says "Re-creation," then it's an HD re-creation made from different sources, in which we've made our best effort to match the original. So, in the case of the wooden wall, the original source was found and used, which is why it matches so exactly.

robgrab

I get excited each time I see a new update because I can track how close they're getting to the end. As soon as I start seeing textures from the island I'll be VERY excited.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I get excited each time I see a new update because I can track how close they're getting to the end. As soon as I start seeing textures from the island I'll be VERY excited.

Final HD Leon Jacket will be a very special moment.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
When this is finished and I play it (not before donating handsomely of course) I'll probably be killed every 2 minutes on account of constantly standing around in awe of the new graphics.

Wow, how in the world did you ever find that? Texture site, or on location?

you should read about their process, it's quite fascinating. They are actively looking for the original locations used by the development team at Capcom over a decade ago.

amazing. i will play re4 for the first time when u have finished this project. if capcom have any sense, highly doubt they do, they wil pay you and make this official update on steam

Every time I see this topic bumped and the progress updated, I get so excited.

You guys are doing incredible work. I won't replay RE4 again until the project is finished.

Top Bottom