• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Wait I don't get it.

I never realized how ugly the original game was ? It sure as hell never felt that ugly ...

Impressive job though ! Would that work with the HD rerelease ?
Playing on a CRT at 480i on a Gamecube back in 2005 is a wildly different experience.

robgrab

In a related topic, what kind of modern graphical effects have people been able to add to RE4? SSAO, post-process via reshade? Anything particularly cool?

Here's an older post I did showing forced HBAO and SweetFX using GeDoSaTo. As far as I know there's no depth buffer access in Reshade for RE4HD... yet.

I've posted two examples of before and after forcing HBAO through GeDoSaTo (make sure to click on the #2 tab to see the other example). I'm also using the SweetFX filters built into GeDoSaTo rather than injecting SweetFX separately. The slight color variation between the screenshots is attributed to my WIP color correction.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113766

The HBAO adds a LOT of depth to the environment and characters. I started a new game and it worked perfectly up until I reached the castle. It started wiggin' out after that. Not sure what it is about the castle that's causing the problem. Now I just need some decent DoF and I'm set.

Ithil

Well...

Some (most?) textures in the game are really low-res and blurry. However, when you were playing the game you probably understood that you are playing a 9-year-old game originally released on GameCube so your mind ignored those textures, excused its existence. Also, the art design, lighting and character models are still great and it's a fast-paced action game, so it's easy to not look at the textures (unless it's in a cut-scene where you have a shot of a character talking and the background visible for several seconds is one ugly gray smeared wall texture).

I'd forgotten how huge Ashley's
ears
were.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's not even just standards changing, this isn't what RE4 looked like on release on gamecube

T9lBKux.jpg

It looked much more like these:

The texture quality looks much more cohesive when matched with the lower resolution, and analog video output of the GC. The game looked amazing for its time, and I think still looks really great on original hardware. The PC version is awesome in a whole different way, and with this texture pack especially it's a HUGE improvement. But we shouldn't be falsely convinced the game wasn't originally great looking, because looking at it still now it looks good.

A great example is this notorious screenshot of the game before launch on PC.

resident_evil_4_ultimate_hd_60fps_steam_pc_edition_by_aloooo81-d8y1wpk.jpg

Look at the faces of the dudes further back. That sticks out like a sore thumb, and is REALLY noticeable.

In comparison, this is how it looked on GC.

resident_evil_4_20040924105922101_946630_640w_by_aloooo81-d8y1wqa.jpg

Nothing looks out of place. I'd probably even say this example looks better on GC (even though it is blurrier. )

epmode

I would still rather play games with low resolution textures on high resolution screens than muddy everything up on older hardware, even if it is more consistent. Low resolution textures don't really bother me, though. I play old games often.

Tonight I’m sharing some of my efforts in the room with the giant cage and the Garrador. I can still remember how tense it was to see the cage drop down, then Cultists running in, and then to top it off, the Garrador jumps down… :)

Also, the painting with the wine bottle was repainted by hand using a digital painting program.

And finally, I'm also sharing a small number of shots showing some of the UV mapping edits made to correct certain issues.

Enjoy! And of course, the site for the project is re4hd.com

What's the story behind that text? It was your choice? Doesn't make much sense to me.
When you examine each of the plaques in the game, they each have a different message. The upgraded textures show that actual text. It's in Spanish because the game (and this specific castle) is in Spain. If you check the plaque, the game will show you the text in whatever language you're playing the game in. Hope that makes sense. :)

What sort of vram do you think might be needed to run the game with all the textures you're going to redo?
While we won't know until the end (once all the enemies, characters, etc. are complete), so far I can run the game on a GPU with 1GB of VRAM without any issues. Hope that helps!

When you examine each of the plaques in the game, they each have a different message. The upgraded textures show that actual text. It's in Spanish because the game (and this specific castle) is in Spain. If you check the plaque, the game will show you the text in whatever language you're playing the game in. Hope that makes sense. :)
Right now i don't remember the exact part of the game the plate is at, it has been many years after all.

i know it is in spanish, i can understand what it says, but it doesn't seem to be a popular phrase or part of any famous media that i know of.

How did you figure out it says that from that low resolution source? And according to what you say, the game swaps the texture according to the native language? That is pretty interesting.

I speak Spanish and it seems a little funky to me. I think it's the "es" throwing me off, though. Maybe it's some European Spanish thing?

Right now i don't remember the exact part of the game the plate is at, it has been many years after all.

i know it is in spanish, i can understand what it says, but it doesn't seem to be a popular phrase or part of any famous media that i know of.

How did you figure out it says that from that low resolution source? And according to what you say, the game swaps the texture according to the native language? That is pretty interesting.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

This room in the game has several plaques. Each of the plaques has a different message, and each message is related to food or a meal.

In the original game, each plaque uses the same exact blurry texture. And when you walk up to a plaque, the game prompts you to "examine" it. When you do, text appears at the bottom of the screen, like a subtitle, telling you what that plaque says.

For our HD texture upgrade, we gave each plaque the actual text instead of the blurry mess of the original. To identify the right text to use, we played the game in Spanish language mode, "examined" each plaque, wrote down the text the game showed us, and made new textures for each plaque using the applicable text.

So, if you're playing the game in English language mode, and you enter this room, each plaque will appear with its specific text in Spanish. When you get close to one, the game will prompt you to "examine" it, and if you do, the text will appear along the bottom of the screen in English.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

I speak Spanish and it seems a little funky to me. I think it's the "es" throwing me off, though. Maybe it's some European Spanish thing?
Yup, same here. I speak Spanish as well, but this is the exact translation from the Spanish language version, and I also chalk it up to it being the form of Spanish spoken in Spain. (Albert lives in Spain and didn't see an issue with it, but if there's something grammatically wrong it's easy to correct.)

Edit: I did a quick search for the phrase "nos es dado" (I would say "nos has" or "nos ha") and I found an example of it in the Bible, in a Spanish translation from 1960, where the verse "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given," is translated as, "Porque un niño nos es nacido, hijo nos es dado," :)

This room in the game has several plaques. Each of the plaques has a different message, and each message is related to food or a meal.

In the original game, each plaque uses the same exact blurry texture. And when you walk up to a plaque, the game prompts you to "examine" it. When you do, text appears at the bottom of the screen, like a subtitle, telling you what that plaque says.

For our HD texture upgrade, we gave each plaque the actual text instead of the blurry mess of the original. To identify the right text to use, we played the game in Spanish language mode, "examined" each plaque, wrote down the text the game showed us, and made new textures for each plaque using the applicable text.

So, if you're playing the game in English language mode, and you enter this room, each plaque will appear with its specific text in Spanish. When you get close to one, the game will prompt you to "examine" it, and if you do, the text will appear along the bottom of the screen in English.

Makes perfect sense, and that is crazy attention to detail.

Yup, same here. I speak Spanish as well, but this is the exact translation from the Spanish language version, and I also chalk it up to it being the form of Spanish spoken in Spain. (Albert lives in Spain and didn't see an issue with it, but if there's something grammatically wrong it's easy to correct.)

Edit: I did a quick search for the phrase "nos es dado" (I would say "nos has" or "nos ha") and I found an example of it in the Bible, in a Spanish translation from 1960, where the verse "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given," is translated as, "Porque un niño nos es nacido, hijo nos es dado," :)
Haha, that's what I would have gone with, too.

And your Google search makes sense.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm laughing so hard at your demonstration of how Capcom artists half-arsed their texture application
Not much to be gained from comparing the work done by professionals working to a deadline on a game built for SD a decade ago (see Alo81's post) to a project like this. Different limitations, different priorities. Certainly is a great level of care and attention to detail though!

Holy shit! The day I lived to see RE4 with (convincing) physically-based rendering...
Unless these guys have rewritten the renderer that's not what you're seeing.

It does make more sense, thanks for taking the time to explain.

i was very confused and dumbfounded when i thought you were suggesting the text was reconstructed from that low resolution source. It would take prophet to decipher that one.

All the more reason why I felt cheated when I bought the "HD" version for playstation 3 because that was half arsed too.
Well they are not even the same team. Production Studio #4 (the original team behind the game) got disbanded not too long after RE 4 was completed. i think Capcom havent threaded this game with the respect it deserves thought. i still thing the Wii version is the best iteration of the game they have made and even that i consider a low effort venture.

Nibel

The texture mapping fixes are pretty impressive. And I have no clue how you guys find all the spots, this shit is crazy.

GOAT texture mod tbh

RalchAC

As you've said on your edit, the text is gramatically correct. It's definitely not a construction you'd see really often. But if you're trying to give it a kind of religious vibe it sounds like it!

Fantastic mod! You guys outdid yourself, the textures looks amazing! I can't wait for the final release, I'm gonna do a new play through then.

Hugstable

Banned
wow I'm really going to need to replay. Amazing work on the HD textures, so mind blowing how great those textures look for a game that's been out as long as RE4

Katori

Amazing work as always. Props especially on the added model detail and UV mapping fixes--I can't even imagine what that's like to patch.

Not much to be gained from comparing the work done by professionals working to a deadline on a game built for SD a decade ago (see Alo81's post) to a project like this. Different limitations, different priorities. Certainly is a great level of care and attention to detail though!

I think he's talking about their efforts for the "HD" version (and in particular their "Ultimate HD" PC version), not the original game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh yes, this is coming along quite nicely. Fantastic work, thankfully extremely faithful to the original art style, which is a rarity among such projects.

FLAguy954

Unless these guys have rewritten the renderer that's not what you're seeing.

It is quite obvious that it's not real PBR...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing work as always. Props especially on the added model detail and UV mapping fixes--I can't even imagine what that's like to patch.

I think he's talking about their efforts for the "HD" version (and in particular their "Ultimate HD" PC version), not the original game.
Going by the use of the term "application" I assumed LaboredSubterfuge was referring to the original UV mapping. Either way, there's not much point in comparing this project to previous releases. It's not artists who decide what sort of resources a HD re-release gets.

It is quite obvious that it's not real PBR...
Well yeah, it's not like PBR in any way, which is why when you said "the day I lived to see RE4 with (convincing) physically-based rendering..." I suggested that you in fact hadn't lived to see that day. No worries, I'm sure we'll both make it to the release of Capcom's 20th anniversary 8k Remaster with PBR and photoshop upscaled + sharpened textures!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Tonight I’m sharing some of my efforts in the room with the giant cage and the Garrador. I can still remember how tense it was to see the cage drop down, then Cultists running in, and then to top it off, the Garrador jumps down… :)

Also, the painting with the wine bottle was repainted by hand using a digital painting program.

And finally, I'm also sharing a small number of shots showing some of the UV mapping edits made to correct certain issues.

Enjoy! And of course, the site for the project is re4hd.com

Your job is fucking amazing.

knerl

It's not even just standards changing, this isn't what RE4 looked like on release on gamecube

It looked much more like these:

The texture quality looks much more cohesive when matched with the lower resolution, and analog video output of the GC. The game looked amazing for its time, and I think still looks really great on original hardware. The PC version is awesome in a whole different way, and with this texture pack especially it's a HUGE improvement. But we shouldn't be falsely convinced the game wasn't originally great looking, because looking at it still now it looks good.

A great example is this notorious screenshot of the game before launch on PC.

resident_evil_4_ultimate_hd_60fps_steam_pc_edition_by_aloooo81-d8y1wpk.jpg

Look at the faces of the dudes further back. That sticks out like a sore thumb, and is REALLY noticeable.

In comparison, this is how it looked on GC.

resident_evil_4_20040924105922101_946630_640w_by_aloooo81-d8y1wqa.jpg

Nothing looks out of place. I'd probably even say this example looks better on GC (even though it is blurrier. )

The difference here though is that the original PC version is based on the PS2 port which has a lower poly count. Ultimate HD on PC is based on the GC version so both poly count and all the effects are there. This HD project should if possible be ported to Ultimate HD Edition.

squarealex

On PS2, is not cinematic in-engine, is on FMV based on GameCube (or dev kit gamecube).

GameCube has low poly on this scene too, but less noticeable with the lower resolution of the game (under 640x480).

And yeah, PC 2007 version is based on PS2, worst compared on PS2 (missing shadow, FMV very compressed, missing textures, low audio quality)

Parsnip

The difference here though is that the original PC version is based on the PS2 port which has a lower poly count. Ultimate HD on PC is based on the GC version so both poly count and all the effects are there. This HD project should if possible be ported to Ultimate HD Edition.

What versions of the game will this work on?

Right now we are developing the new textures based on Ultimate HD version of the game.

scitek

The new textures look amazing as always. I feel like the only thing missing is ambient occlusion, does anyone know of a way to add that? A third party app or something?

Top Bottom