• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Nyoro SF

Seeing all this 3D work makes me quite intrigued. I really hope to see more 3D revisions in the future; and I hope this bodes well as practice for when you update the character models.

Bl@de

Albert just put up a post showing purely some of the 3D edits / UVMapping edits that have been done in the earlier rooms of the castle. There are 30+ screenshots in there, so I'm just quoting a few here. The rest are at re4hd.com

Unbelievable. The quality of this mod is amazing. The wait is so hard. But I will not replay RE4 again without the mod.

Nibel

3D13.jpg

Wow
KuGsj.gif

I'm in the same boat man. Haven't played this bad boi in 10 years!

Has it been 10 years already? Damn, I remember playing this game for the first time.

This project is awesome and I wish there were more people who had the dedication and drive like they have to re-do some older games.

A-V-B

I played this game back in the GameCube days, but never got past the whole village section. So there's a ton more for me to play, and I bought the recent RE4 PC edition when it came out. It's just been sitting in my library, waiting for this beast to release.

Looking amazing as always!

Guy.brush

Nice 3D edits. the original UV and mesh work was quite shoddy in places.

Do we know what the poly limit is on objects/characters? How easy is the mesh import currently?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Looking through the update on RE4hd.com and there are some pretty gigantic upgrades.

3D18.jpg

This looks magnificent.

3D20.jpg

Look at that! So much better!

3D23.jpg

The first looks so awkward, the second is way more natural

3D24.jpg

Look how beautiful that knob is!! Look at it!

Nibel

It's so interesting to see how Capcom made that title originally; tons of weird seaming and geometry, and tbh I never noticed it back then. Some of the stuff feels really rushed

Golnei

It's so interesting to see how Capcom made that title originally; tons of weird seaming and geometry, and tbh I never noticed it back then. Some of the stuff feels really rushed

Would many people have noticed in the original release? A lot of the shortcuts and errors seem like things which wouldn't have stood out that much or at all on a SD CRT - which makes the scope and thoroughness of the work being done here even more impressive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I can't say that I really noticed when playing it in SD on the Gamecube.

xHiryu

Never noticed how shit some of the textures were when I played it on the Wii. Re-bought the game on Steam during the Summer Sale but won't start until this is done. Looks phenomenal

RedSwirl

Never noticed how shit some of the textures were when I played it on the Wii. Re-bought the game on Steam during the Summer Sale but won't start until this is done. Looks phenomenal

That's because you were playing the Wii version in 480p (unless you were running it on Dolphin).

I remember RE4 being praised for magnificent texture work back in 2005. Today we should probably compare it to games of the same era displayed at modern resolutions. The art assets of those games only look shitty today because they were designed for lower resolutions and much smaller amounts of memory.

Well lower screen resolution and the fact blurry textures help hide the bad models/uv imperfections are probably the reason why you never noticed.

Clefargle

Beyond incredible work man. This game keeps on living. When this is complete, will I be able to play this with motion controls on a PC?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
@ Cris and Albert: You two deserve some kind of special award for Best in the Category of HD Remakes - done by a paid company or otherwise!

@ GAF: I feel like us fans need to spread the word as far and as loud as possible about the amazing work these two are doing. But it probably should be done in a way that doesn't risk bringing this to the attention of Capcom's lawyers... Any suggestions?

Unai

@ Cris and Albert: You two deserve some kind of special award for Best in the Category of HD Remakes - done by a paid company or otherwise!

@ GAF: I feel like us fans need to spread the word as far and as loud as possible about the amazing work these two are doing. But it probably should be done in a way that doesn't risk bringing this to the attention of Capcom's lawyers... Any suggestions?

Capcom is completely ok with mods.

Hesh

This is incredibly neat to follow, kudos. Also, aren't the fire/flame effects in the game just 2D textures? If so, do you plan on upgrading those as well?

KillySG10

Neo Member
Just curious, but how far along is this project?
The progress summary says alot of the castle area is still in progress, but your latest blog post is on the island, are there still alot of edits there?

Textures look amazing though, you guys are doing an awesome job, your going above and beyond, this will be fantastic to play through when your done.

Symphonia

Banned
Those original textures. Man, I don't recall RE4 ever looking anywhere near that bad. Or maybe I just have rose-tinted memories of one of my favourite games of that/last/this generation.

dsk1210

Amazing work as usual guys.

Really looking forward to full play through once this is complete, although I can see that taking another year or so.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How much can you push the engine with the new models? Like, could throw a 100k polygon Leon in there for example?

It's going to be so funny to see the steam active player stats go thru the roof on RE4 the week this mod is completed.

Seems like everyone in this thread, including me, has bought this but we're all sitting on it until the HD textures are ready. Big graphics whores, that's all we are! ;)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be so funny to see the steam active player stats go thru the roof on RE4 the week this mod is completed.

Seems like everyone in this thread, including me, has bought this but we're all sitting on it until the HD textures are ready. Big graphics whores, that's all we are! ;)

It's just another incentive to replay it :) I've already completed RE4 10 - 15 times across multiple platforms, might as well make the next run even more special.

Shredderi

Can't wait for this to be complete. Haven't played RE4 in 7 years now and I'm waiting for this to be done before playing again.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Checked out the site, this is a gigantic upgrade.

300D.jpg

I couldn't even tell they were sandbags originally at first glance. Bravo.

Like seriously you have gotten really damn good at this

300E.jpg

301F.jpg

Quick question about this one.

300G.jpg

The original is obviously less round, but it seems like it has a small amount of depth to the walls of the can, while the updated one is more round, but has no depth on the walls. Is that just a tech limitation, wip stuff, or is it planned to be changed? The new one looks significantly better, just a small difference I was curious about.

Anteater

jesus christ

i'm surprised this isn't getting more attention on gaf given how RE4 is like the sacred cow over here

i hope there's a way to get hbao+ and stuff into the game, that'd be cool

Top Bottom