• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wowowow. Simply incredible.

EDIT: Just donated. Not a lot, but it's something. I'll probably donate more on the next release. Great work guys!

jesus christ

i'm surprised this isn't getting more attention on gaf given how RE4 is like the sacred cow over here

i hope there's a way to get hbao+ and stuff into the game, that'd be cool

Change the title to "Progress Completed" and I'm pretty sure the appropriate actions will follow.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I bought the game off Steam, and stopped playing it when I found out about this thread back in 2014. The guys are doing amazing stuff.

Glad you guys saw the update! I wasn't able to share the progress earlier today. :)
Just curious, but how far along is this project?
The progress summary says alot of the castle area is still in progress, but your latest blog post is on the island, are there still alot of edits there?

Textures look amazing though, you guys are doing an awesome job, your going above and beyond, this will be fantastic to play through when your done.
Thank you! And regarding the progress page, here's how our process works and how it translates to what you see on that page (I might add this to the page itself since others might wonder).

For each room:
1) Albert takes the first pass and revises textures based on real world sources and based on his prior work.
2) I take the second pass and revise any textures he didn't get to and review his work to ensure it matches the original as much as possible.
3) He does the same thing for me and makes further refinements.
4) I review his refinements and make any final adjustments needed (in most cases there are no further refinements needed at this stage).

So, on the progress page:
Pending = The room has not been touched by either of us
In Progress = We are at some point in steps 1-4 above
Complete = Steps 1-4 have been completed

So, Albert has made it to the Island section, while I am refining the remaining rooms in the Castle.

Hope that helps! :)
How much VRAM will be needed to make use of this? lol, will 4GB be enough?
Based on our experience so far, 1GB should be good. More testing will happen once everything is done, of course, but that's what it's looking like.
How much can you push the engine with the new models? Like, could throw a 100k polygon Leon in there for example?
I believe there's a hard limit on the number of polygons for character models, stemming from limitations in place for the GCN version of the game. :) For the environments, I have not yet encountered a hard limit.
Quick question about this one.

300G.jpg

The original is obviously less round, but it seems like it has a small amount of depth to the walls of the can, while the updated one is more round, but has no depth on the walls. Is that just a tech limitation, wip stuff, or is it planned to be changed? The new one looks significantly better, just a small difference I was curious about.
Thanks for the feedback! This is still a WIP (at step 1, from the description above) and so I'll keep this in mind for the subsequent revision phases. :)
Wowowow. Simply incredible.

EDIT: Just donated. Not a lot, but it's something. I'll probably donate more on the next release. Great work guys!
Thank you very much! The support is appreciated and definitely helpful!!

I'm really, really, almost inappropriately excited to see them fix that one shitty coat-rack texture near the security camera room. Even when I played the original game on release that particular spot always looked so shitty to me, I notice it every time I play.

I'm really, really, almost inappropriately excited to see them fix that one shitty coat-rack texture near the security camera room. Even when I played the original game on release that particular spot always looked so shitty to me, I notice it every time I play.
I know *exactly* the room you're referring to, and I feel the same way. ;-)

When i first saw this thread pop up one and a half years ago I was super skeptical. I scoffed at it, marked it as something that would be a waste of time. I believed it would never make any significant progress. I've never been so glad to be so wrong. I can't wait to do a full run (not since the GC) when this gets fully released. I've made a small donation to make up for my premature skepticism.

Nerrel

Based on our experience so far, 1GB should be good. More testing will happen once everything is done, of course, but that's what it's looking like.

Vaguely related question: are you going to be compressing the final pack to a particular target size? Based on the village pack, it looks like the full, uncompressed mod could take up a lot of space. Not that it wouldn't be worth it, but it may be a lot of downloading... If nothing else, you could offer two quality options.

Thank you again for this work. It's been said many times, but this is the kind of attention and care Capcom themselves should have treated this release with for their "remaster."

I don't know why it took me so long to sub to this thread. Really amazing work guys, all the updated textures still have that RE4 feel to them which is super impressive. I'll definitely be replaying RE4 once it's all spruced up!

dhonk

Amazing work once again, cant wait until I can replay RE4 looking like this! This is easily the best texture project Ive ever seen with regards to accuracy / quality.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I believe there's a hard limit on the number of polygons for character models, stemming from limitations in place for the GCN version of the game. :) For the environments, I have not yet encountered a hard limit

Cool! Which tools are you using to unpack e repack the game files? Wouldn't mind to try and do something like a HQ weapon models pack or something.

Cool! Which tools are you using to unpack e repack the game files? Wouldn't mind to try and do something like a HQ weapon models pack or something.
The best place to learn about that through the Resident Evil Mod Board community (http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/). There are individual sub-forums for each game, and sub-sub-forums for different areas of focus, like work in progress mods, modding tools, etc. That's basically where I got my start when it came to modding the UHD version of the game.

Nyoro SF

Why would there be a c&d? It's just a texture pack mod. They aren't making a new game ripping off code.

Whenever a mod happens like this there's always a brand of idiots that shout C&D for all to hear for some reason; I have no idea if they actually want the project to die or if they're warning the creator... both are stupid.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
3D modelling is dangerously playing with "remake" territory.

Golnei

3D modelling is dangerously playing with "remake" territory.

How would it be any more of a risk than the countless model edits and imports that already exist for 5, 6, the Revelations games and the original PC version of 4? While entirely original fan remakes might be magnets for C&Ds, the same sort of response for non-commercial cosmetic mods, regardless of scope, would have to be incredibly rare. And Capcom going after this project in particular seems especially unlikely, since things like Hazardous Battle and the RE1.5 restoration project which attempt to recreate the original games' engine and use copious amounts of ripped assets seem to have been ignored.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I meant it more in a kitschy complimentary "the work on this is beyond a HD texture pack" way :p

KyleCross

While it is cool there's an article on Kotaku I'm disappointed that they didn't go into further detail on just how much work is going into this, such as them actually finding the original assets Capcom used, making things make more sense like changing the language on signs, and even repairing some serious corner cutting by Capcom.

A dude in the comments spat at it thinking it is just another texture mod and that the modders are "ruining the creators vision." Smh.

Also I know this post has sounded quite negative already, but reeaaaaallly don't like that choice of title by Kotaku. Saying in a headline on a popular website that an unsolicited mod is showing that a company neglected a product is not smart.

54-46!

While it is cool there's an article on Kotaku I'm disappointed that they didn't go into further detail on just how much work is going into this, such as them actually finding the original assets Capcom used, making things make more sense like changing the language on signs, and even repairing some serious corner cutting by Capcom..

You don't say.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are enemies being rebuilt too? I'm eager to see the Regenerators.

*Shudders*

All the enemies and characters will be redone, here's their 'order' of how they're tackling everything:

– Environmental Textures
– Items and Weapons
– Enemies, NPCs, Playable Characters, Misc.
– Mercenaries, Separate Ways, and anything not covered above

They're currently about 2/3rds of the way through environments, this definitely is one of the most time consuming parts of it, but once they're done they'll go to update the items/weapons, and then comes all the character models, including enemies.

I will admit, I look forward to what they decide to do with enemies. Regenerators are a big one, they're super iconic at this point. I am curious if they will/can do anything with the 'gore' from enemies, such as head-shots, or when the plaga regenerate a limb. I feel that may be tricky, but I'm not too knowledgeable. Some of the bosses especially I really look forward to seeing their versions on.

Mercenaries/Separate Ways should be easier but still challenging to do because they can re-use a lot of area assets they already have, but there are new areas in both they'll have to texture as well. -nods-

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
In terms of what's considered infringement and what isn't, where does the law draw the line?

If I remember correctly projects like the Metroid 2 remakes were given a c&d by Nintendo, as well as other fan projects that were essentially original spin offs of established series..

Unai

People, Capcom has explicitly said before this game was releasead that while they do not oficially support mods, they won't do a thing against it either. People can mod Resident Evil 4 as much as they want to.

wwm0nkey

In terms of what's considered infringement and what isn't, where does the law draw the line?

If I remember correctly projects like the Metroid 2 remakes were given a c&d by Nintendo, as well as other fan projects that were essentially original spin offs of established series..
You still have to buy the game for this

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Completed my first RE4 playthrough few months back, was going to do a second playthrough but now ill think ill wait until this is finished

Keep up the good work peeps

Well it's hard to say because most projects get dropped at the first sign of a lawyer letter, and never have to prove the validity of any claim.

I suppose this project is in the clear as you still need the base game to run as it's only assets that are being changed and no code is being touched. Also it is only a more prettied up version of the same game and not a remake of another. That recent RE2 fan remake on the other hand is on a completely different engine and Capcom is well within their rights to shut it down if the company lawyers catch wind of it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You still have to buy the game for this

Well it's hard to say because most projects get dropped at the first sign of a lawyer letter, and never have to prove the validity of any claim.

I suppose this project is in the clear as you still need the base game to run as it's only assets that are being changed and no code is being touched. Also it is only a more prettied up version of the same game and not a remake of another. That recent RE2 fan remake on the other hand is on a completely different engine and Capcom is well within their rights to shut it down if the company lawyers catch wind of it.

I guess "as long as you need to buy the game" is a good place to draw the line, from a common sense point of view. Plus Capcom apparently aren't interested in making their own HD retexture..

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Guys, this mod is equivalent to basically a bunch of great quality handmade jpegs/ 3d mods. Capcom won't and can't C&D it. This whole conversation is fruitless. Enjoy and look forward to the release!

Nyoro SF

If anything Capcom are laughing all the way to the bank from extra sales, due to the hard work of some super dedicated volunteers.

I give Capcom a lot of shit but not even Capcom USA is that cynical. :p
As cris pointed out they've been aware of it for a while and I'm sure they're very supportive of it from an artistic standpoint. The game has already passed its honeymoon sales point with its release, so this is something to appreciate on a much higher level than just "more sales".

Capcom is aware of the project and they've had the Steam thread for the project pinned for a while now. No concerns on that front.

I did notice that when I went to the RE4 steam forums a few weeks ago.

Parsnip

It's the typical enthusiast press deal. One site posts a thing, others copy it and shuffle the wording a bit. EG at least thanked kotaku for the "tip", I don't know if others did. Surprised that Gamespot hasn't joined in yet, they are usually very quick to jump in on these types of stories.

It's good publicity either way of course, can't expect everyone read all sites.

In the end the original source is always NeoGAF anyway. :p

Ryman

This is truly an amazing project, and I wish you the best of luck in completing it. I threw a few bucks your way as a sign of thanks!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Congrats on the articles guys! I'm sure by the time you guys are done with this you'll know this game better than some of the developers. :p

God damn I wanna play RE4 AGAIN! :O

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just hope it gets the same coverage come final release. Its cool for people to become aware of it now, but as with most stuff like this a lot of people see it, are impressed, then move on.

It being pinned on the Steam forum for RE4 is probably a real big boon for it though.

Hi again! Although I'm traveling and having to work on a 13" screen, I still have an update t share!

For this room there were a large number of UV mapping / 3D edits needed — many more than what is being shared below.

Enjoy the work in progress!

More shots up at the site (re4hd.com). Thanks!

Top Bottom