• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

The new update is another stunner. They actually modeled every wine bottle in 3D:

The detail on the control panels is also really sweet. Who in their right mind will be able to go back to the original after this? I'm hoping to hell that the Steam controller works well, because it's going to be hard for me to leave the Wii remote and Dolphin behind.

But I do have a complaint, sirs. Those are definitely pretzels, not Cheerios. I don't want to say this ruins the mod for me, but I'm definitely less excited now. Like, a lot less:
304F.jpg
Just use something like Glovepie and play the Steam Version with a Wii Remote XD

Since the leaders of this project are incorporating 3D models now, i guess it would take a lot longer to finish.

Also it's weird Capcom hasn't taken any sort of action, not necessarily in terms of terminating the initiative but to get in contact with these gentleman. This is not an ordinary mod project after all.

Unai

The detail on the control panels is also really sweet. Who in their right mind will be able to go back to the original after this? I'm hoping to hell that the Steam controller works well, because it's going to be hard for me to leave the Wii remote and Dolphin behind.

I'm planning exactly this as soon as the Steam Controller and this mod are out. It's going to be GLORIOUS.

So the game has a hard limit on how many polygons are allowed in each room eh?
That sounds really annoying...
Hehehe the first comment on the site noted this as well. This will be revised. :)
Since the leaders of this project are incorporating 3D models now, i guess it would take a lot longer to finish.
It isn't adding too much to the time needed to revise each room (from my own experience, it's added about 5-10% to the total amount of time I've spent on each room). The largest amount of time continues to be put toward the actual texture work.
So the game has a hard limit on how many polygons are allowed in each room eh?
That sounds really annoying...
Oh, sorry. I should clarify. This is a limitation based on the number of polygons per model currently supported by the conversion tool we are using (not a hard limit or problem with the game itself).

We may be able to find a fix for this limitation, but for the time being it’s not really a major problem. We can do almost everything we want.

Thanks, everyone!

Vire

You guys are the fucking best. I love it whenever this thread is bumped, keep up the excellent work.

Nerrel

Just use something like Glovepie and play the Steam Version with a Wii Remote XD

It's pretty much unplayable, I've tried. It works beautifully for RE5 on Steam because it has a cursor aiming mode that separates camera movement and cursor movement, just like RE4 Wii Edition does, but the later games all ditched that option.

The result is that the IR camera controls camera movement and it turns out to be way too fast for its own good. Every little twitch causes the camera to jump around and by the time that you lower the sensitivity enough to make it work you've lost the speed and precision of the cursor that makes the remote great in the first place. Maybe I just didn't experiment enough with the scripts, but I couldn't find any way to make RE6 or RE:Rev2 work with it.

Steam controller will undoubtedly be simpler and better than a remote+glovepie in this case, but whether it's better than the native remote scheme RE4 Wii edition is a different story. I haven't heard too many comparisons of the Steam pad vs Wii remote IR aiming, mainly because everyone invariably compares it to kb+mouse. I assume the Steam pad is more stable and precise than the remote, but maybe a little less fun to use.

Oh, sorry. I should clarify. This is a limitation based on the number of polygons per model currently supported by the conversion tool we are using (not a hard limit or problem with the game itself).

We may be able to find a fix for this limitation, but for the time being it’s not really a major problem. We can do almost everything we want.
Frankly, the fact that you modeled real bottles is enough. It doesn't matter if they're a little polygonal, it's a huge improvement for such a small detail.

It's pretty much unplayable, I've tried. It works beautifully for RE5 on Steam because it has a cursor aiming mode that separates camera movement and cursor movement, just like RE4 Wii Edition does, but the later games all ditched that option.

The result is that the IR camera controls camera movement and it turns out to be way too fast for its own good. Every little twitch causes the camera to jump around and by the time that you lower the sensitivity enough to make it work you've lost the speed and precision of the cursor that makes the remote great in the first place. Maybe I just didn't experiment enough with the scripts, but I couldn't find any way to make RE6 or RE:Rev2 work with it.

Steam controller will undoubtedly be simpler and better than a remote+glovepie in this case, but whether it's better than the native remote scheme RE4 Wii edition is a different story. I haven't heard too many comparisons of the Steam pad vs Wii remote IR aiming, mainly because everyone invariably compares it to kb+mouse. I assume the Steam pad is more stable and precise than the remote, but maybe a little less fun to use.

Frankly, the fact that you modeled real bottles is enough. It doesn't matter if they're a little polygonal, it's a huge improvement for such a small detail.
Ahhhh did not know that (@.@!)

i thought it would work great because i' ve seen some very nice scripts for RE 5 (like you said) and Dead Space. Dead Space really fun since you could do horizontal and vertical swipes of the Remote to do the arm and stump melee attacks. It would be cool if someone scripted the mining tool to rotate with the Wii Remote for the 2nd firing mode, like Extraction taught XD

On topic, Thanks for answering Cris a 10% extra time is more than worth it for the extra visual flare. im guessing the hardest part time wise would be if you guys decide to improve polygonal detail in character models.

Also curious about the question someone posted earlier about the possibility of using the cinematic models for actual gameplay.

On topic, Thanks for answering Cris a 10% extra time is more than worth it for the extra visual flare. im guessing the hardest part time wise would be if you guys decide to improve polygonal detail in character models.

Also curious about the question someone posted earlier about the possibility of using the cinematic models for actual gameplay.
No problem! And yes, I think it would feel increasingly frustrating for us if we had no way to correct obvious errors. In the beginning I was going through a bunch of effort to try to adjust the textures to eliminate weird seams. So much easier when you can edit the UV maps / models directly. Here's an example from early on where I was trying to fix only by working with the textures themselves:

Re: the question:

Not sure yet if it's possible to do it, but if it is, and the game remains completely stable, we will!

Re: the question:
Weird i miss the answer then, thanks for clarifying again.

Is there a way to adapt input recording to PC games that don't support it? What i mean is apply functionality like the timed demos or recording functions of emulators. It would be incredible to have the exact sane run of this mirrored with the standard version and the moded version.

KyleCross

After all he's done, I could think of no crueler insult.

Couldn't agree more. If people like Cris and Albert worked at Capcom maybe Capcom would still be knocking it out of the park like they were up till the mid 00's. They truly seem bankrupt on creativity and passion at this point. Terrible thing to not have when you're a company that creates entertainment.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Couldn't agree more. If people like Cris and Albert worked at Capcom maybe Capcom would still be knocking it out of the park like they were up till the mid 00's. They truly seem bankrupt on creativity and passion at this point. Terrible thing to not have when you're a company that creates entertainment.

Fwiw, they made a huge investment into creating a brand new engine for the current gen, Panta Rhei which ended up not working out. As a result, they haven't been able to really create much new stuff after that huge loss. It's likely one of the reasons Deep Down was one of the earliest games announced for next gen, and also still not released.

I think if Panta Rhei had worked out for them, we would have seen a few more creatively exciting new projects.

Nerrel

yes!!
pretzels >>> cheerios
:D
304Fb.jpg

Ha! They listened. Thank you, Cris. Ganados are too depraved to care about whole grain in their diet.

I think if Panta Rhei had worked out for them, we would have seen a few more creatively exciting new projects.

Everyone should just use Fox engine for everything now. Great realism and amazing performance. If only Konami had any good games left to take advantage of it.

Nerrel

Wow, those specular effects on the doors look great. You should definitely put that to use again later, the labs have a lot of slick metal surfaces that would be suited to it. Amazing work.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seriously, those specular effects look awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zccfCHYZTM&t=3m45s

Also this 3D edit is a huge upgrade, which is extra impressive because the original actually looks pretty good to.

305J.jpg

Finally, you may already be aware but theres a small tiling error on the texture of the wooden beam here

305A.jpg

Second beam on the front pallet. Very small issue, but I've seen how perfectionist you can be in the past so thought you might appreciate the info~

Finally, you may already be aware but theres a small tiling error on the texture of the wooden beam here

305A.jpg

Second beam on the front pallet. Very small issue, but I've seen how perfectionist you can be in the past so thought you might appreciate the info~

Sorry, I've looked carefully, but I can't see it. Could you describe a bit further?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry, I've looked carefully, but I can't see it. Could you describe a bit further?

YnQQQ1h.png

Original looks to be a solid block of wood. Updated looks a bit more like two pieces of wood attached at ends. Looking at it a bit more it may actually be intentional.

Oh - yeah, that wood texture has marks on it as if there was once another slat going across that was subsequently removed and left that mark.

Waiting for the RE4 HD project to be completed before I buy RE4 on Steam. I'm guessing 2-5 years till the project's completed? Don't mind waiting that long.

Would there be a way to mod in engine level ambient occlusion? Separate from this project of course.

But with the added fidelity this brings to textures, plus the incredible 3D edits, the addition of some specular mapping, and even the talk of incorporating the cutscenes models to the game if possible, I keep wondering what other simple graphical effects could be added to enhance the true RE4 HD experience when we all get our hands on it in a couple years.

Chromatic aberration anybody??
Kiddinnnnng

peronmls

The new update is another stunner. They actually modeled every wine bottle in 3D:

But I do have a complaint, sirs. Those are definitely pretzels, not Cheerios. I don't want to say this ruins the mod for me, but I'm definitely less excited now. Like, a lot less:
304F.jpg
Was about to say those look like pretzels

Also are you using bump mapping?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
H3RURQQ.png
w3LEaWy.png

This is just nuts! This guy lives in Spain if I remember correctly... how the hell was he able to find these small pieces of architecture in Wales?

The story behind the work Albert and Cris are putting into this remake is probably worth a series of blog posts on its own!

Question for Cris: Are you guys consulting historical architecture books or experts in order to narrow down the search for some of these features? Or were you able to communicate with people at Capcom who could tell you where the original team visited?

zoukka

This is just nuts! This guy lives in Spain if I remember correctly... how the hell was he able to find these small pieces of architecture in Wales?

The story behind the work Albert and Cris are putting into this remake is probably worth a series of blog posts on its own!

Question for Cris: Are you guys consulting historical architecture books or experts in order to narrow down the search for some of these features? Or were you able to communicate with people at Capcom who could tell you where the original team visited?

My guess is more boring than that. Artists often google for reference/assets and it's not that hard to imagine how to find them, for example "medieval fireplace", "old stone stairs" and so on.

The nice thing is Albert recently registered for GAF, so once the account is activated, he'll answer these last few questions. :)

And really, the credit for finding the real-life sources goes to him and his efforts going back to around 2008.

Top Bottom