• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It's hilarious that in the original you can see they used the same image but just mirrored it down the middle to save memory. Poor horse!

091406.jpg

Anteater

The nice thing is Albert recently registered for GAF, so once the account is activated, he'll answer these last few questions. :)

And really, the credit for finding the real-life sources goes to him and his efforts going back to around 2008.

can't wait to find out albert is actually a dude called albert wesker that capcom modeled after

Mr_Zombie

The HD painting is slightly different, it isn't exactly the same picture only in higher resolution. Did you redraw it from scratch or did you find the original painting and it is Capcom that modified it before using in RE4?

zma1013

The HD painting is slightly different, it isn't exactly the same picture only in higher resolution. Did you redraw it from scratch or did you find the original painting and it is Capcom that modified it before using in RE4?

Restoration means it's the original source whereas Re-creation means he did it from scratch attempting to stay true to the original look, so some things may look a little different.

This is really impressive guys, and honestly, you put Capcom's "HD" effort to shame. Keep it up and I hope you get appropriately awarded for your efforts and commitment.

It appears to be a composite of a young Albrecht Durer self portrait and Géricault's 'The Severed Heads'. Not sure where the sword is from. Seems close enough, if a bit funky in pose and proportion. It's mashing two totally different eras and styles together, but without knowing what Capcom was referencing (or if it was an original asset) I guess there's only so much you can do without someone creating a new texture from scratch. The time and effort put into plucking from existing paintings reflects the level of commitment put into this project though. :)

It appears to be a composite of a young Albrecht Durer self portrait and Géricault's 'The Severed Heads'. Not sure where the sword is from. Seems close enough, if a bit funky in pose and proportion. It's mashing two totally different eras and styles together, but without knowing what Capcom was referencing (or if it was an original asset) I guess there's only so much you can do without someone creating a new texture from scratch. The time and effort put into plucking from existing paintings reflects the level of commitment put into this project though. :)

Exactly right on identifying the paintings. :) I think it may be interesting for folks that know a bit of art to figure out the original sources. There are many paintings where the originals have been found, but there are also many where it's either original creation by Capcom or we simply can't find it. In those instances, it becomes a matter of finding other works to work from.

For this particular painting, I agree that the pose and proportions are a bit funky -- in part that may be a shortcoming on my part, but also a result of trying to match the original, which also seems a bit funky. :)

And thanks for the compliment!

Today an update from Albert's work:

Hi everyone! Today I’m showing you the hallway leading to the operating, sub-zero, and waste rooms. It took me ages to complete this area! It had plenty of 3D inaccuracies everywhere and the textures were not precisely simple to re-create.

As you know, this part of the game is full of weird panel controls and machinery… I’m guessing Capcom didn’t stay consistent to real life devices because I’m seeing that some textures have obvious evidence of mixing and matching of various elements in Photoshop. In the end, the important thing is that the place should have a realistic look overall.

So, feel free to share your thoughts about this work in progress re-creations. Honestly, some times I had no idea what the hell I was re-texturing!
More images and a demo video up at the site: re4hd.com

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Today an update from Albert's work:

More images and a demo video up at the site: re4hd.com

Looks great as always! But what's the reasoning behind having one warning text being in Spanish, and one in English? In the first image, it's in English, but in the third (on a different object) it's in Spanish (switched from English it seems)?

Looks great as always! But what's the reasoning behind having one warning text being in Spanish, and one in English? In the first image, it's in English, but in the third (on a different object) it's in Spanish (switched from English it seems)?
Not sure I follow. In all the HD-version screenshots they're in Spanish, no?

No, that's spanish too.

Flammable solid is English. I find it weird too to change it into Spanish.

I thought he meant the sign of the first couple of images.

They changed it to spanish, because the game takes place in Spain. It was more weird to me, as spaniard, hear people talking in spanish, having pesetas but every sign in the game was in english. :D

Edit: Ah the other sign on the left side, I see. I guess that's because it belongs to part of a machinery or something, not an actual spanish product. Same as some cardboxes.

Eila

Flammable solid is English. I find it weird too to change it into Spanish.

Looks like he's translating everything in english to spanish. I think it makes sense that the warning and room signs are in spanish. These places look old as hell, so maybe they didn't have dual language signs like most places these days.

Love it when this thread gets bumped.

RE4 is one of my all-time favorites and it's truly glorious seeing it with this kind of... Clarity, I suppose?

You're doing God's work, OP. Well done!

gogogow

Looks like he's translating everything in english to spanish. I think it makes sense that the warning and room signs are in spanish. These places look old as hell, so maybe they didn't have dual language signs like most places these days.

I thought they wanted to stay true to the original/source. At least, as close as possible. Cause they were trying so hard to recreate and or find the original source for a lot of the textures. But it seems lately they have taken a lot more creative freedom. Like the redrawn painting, men socks, pills/medicine and changing English signs into Spanish.

I'm not complaining though, cause this fan mod will make me play RE4 again for the 100th time. Just an observation.

Ahh, now I understand! I didn't see that one - we'll be addressing that. :)
I thought they wanted to stay true to the original/source. At least, as close as possible. Cause they were trying so hard to recreate and or find the original source for a lot of the textures. But it seems lately they have taken a lot more creative freedom. Like the redrawn painting, men socks, pills/medicine and changing English signs into Spanish.

I'm not complaining though, cause this fan mod will make me play RE4 again for the 100th time. Just an observation.
I appreciate you sharing this. I think it's worthwhile to lay out some thoughts on my end that might clarify.

Staying true to the original has been, and continues to be a foundational guiding principle. To that end, the search continues for the original source materials and locations. For example, last month Albert traveled to Wales to do additional photography at five castles that were sourced for the game.

However, as we navigate through each area, some interesting questions arise:

1. What if you can't find the original source for a texture?
2. What if you found a higher res version of a texture, but it's still not very good quality?
3. What if the original texture is inconsistent with the game world?
4. What if some sort of "trick" was used originally due to system limitations (like mirroring paintings) - should you improve on it?
5. What if there isn't enough detail to discern what was intended in the original texture?
6. What if there are mistakes that were made in the original (for example, a lamp floating above a table) - should we correct those?

Some of these questions are easier to answer than others, and we sometimes have to operate in a "fuzzy" space that doesn't have definitive right or wrong answers.

Here's how we've answered these questions so far:

Then we should do our best to re-create it while staying true to the original. It won't always be perfect, but it should be very much in line with the look and feel of the original. Most of the textures you see in comparison shots (the ones that say "re-creation") fall into this category. My hope is that while we won't always be perfect, we will at least generally be excellent (haha the painting in my last post was my attempt at matching the original :) I have very much captured the feedback that gogogow and another user provided and as time allows I may revisit).

2. What if you found a higher res version of a texture, but it's still not very good quality?

Then re-create it according to what was described in #1, and if there are any parts of the higher res version that can be salvaged, then great!

This has come up several times. For example, some of the notes that you find in the game are actually a slightly modified influenza notice:

In this kind of situation where something is inconsistent, we err on the side of staying true to the game world instead of the individual texture. For the note above, instead of using the original source, the overall tone was kept but the text was altered to reflect the content of the note.

Another scenario is that of what language to use. As you know, the game is set entirely in Spain, with Spanish-speaking enemies and characters. As a result, we find it more true to the game world to have text appear consistently in Spanish. There may be exceptions, but by and large this will be the case.

4. What if some sort of "trick" was used originally due to system limitations (like mirroring paintings) - should you improve on it?

In this case we tend to correct those "tricks" by restoring the complete ornaments that were originally used. A recent "trick" that I came across is in the room with the novistador nest in the castle (where Ashley is bug-napped). Below the nest there is a large red pool. The source for that pool of sludge was a tiny portion of the texture for the red leather of a chair that appears in the same room. So, instead of keeping that, I created a better looking sludge / slime texture that, to be honest, doesn't look like the original texture, but it certainly looks more true to that room in the game.

5. What if there isn't enough detail to discern what was intended in the original texture?

In this case, we try to choose details that fit the overall room. So, "mens socks" on the cardboard box should be considered a work in progress and we'll be correcting that. But "made in china" is probably reasonable -- who knows how those boxes got there. ;) Or the bottles - the original texture was really a non-descript mess. Choosing to interpret them as medicine or drug bottle supplies seems rather reasonable.

Of course, this is probably the "fuzziest" area, and that's why we welcome everyone's feedback!!

6. What if there are mistakes that were made in the original (for example, a lamp floating above a table) - should we correct those?

We fix it! :)

I hope that's helpful background information for everyone. And everyone, please do continue sharing feedback! It has been a helpful source of guidance throughout!

A small oversight, don't know if it's worth it for you gentleman to correct.

306L.jpg

Capital letters should not have accents.

This one is not an error but a matter of fitting better in the game's world.

306F.jpg

The small amount of rust near the display in the original looks "better", the edit looks too pristine in that area.

Absolutely loved the increased texture fidelity for the soft materials, it really makes a ton of difference.

legacyzero

Banned
Jesus, looking at the comparison photos, it seems like most of the original content is barely recognizable as a object LOL.

Totes not playing this game again until this launches.

Falk

that puzzling face

In this case we tend to correct those "tricks" by restoring the complete ornaments that were originally used. A recent "trick" that I came across is in the room with the novistador nest in the castle (where Ashley is bug-napped). Below the nest there is a large red pool. The source for that pool of sludge was a tiny portion of the texture for the red leather of a chair that appears in the same room. So, instead of keeping that, I created a better looking sludge / slime texture that, to be honest, doesn't look like the original texture, but it certainly looks more true to that room in the game.

In this case, we try to choose details that fit the overall room. So, "mens socks" on the cardboard box should be considered a work in progress and we'll be correcting that. But "made in china" is probably reasonable -- who knows how those boxes got there. ;) Or the bottles - the original texture was really a non-descript mess. Choosing to interpret them as medicine or drug bottle supplies seems rather reasonable.

Of course, this is probably the "fuzziest" area, and that's why we welcome everyone's feedback!!

Yeah, going for the intention rather than what ended up in the original game is always the right way to tackle this. The original artists/level designers
/composers
didn't want to be limited by hardware.

A small oversight, don't know if it's worth it for you gentleman to correct.

306L.jpg

Capital letters should not have accents.

This one is not an error but a matter of fitting better in the game's world.

306F.jpg

The small amount of rust near the display in the original looks "better", the edit looks too pristine in that area.

Absolutely loved the increased texture fidelity for the soft materials, it really makes a ton of difference.
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

Re: the accent, I did a bit of digging and found that the RAE (the official "rule book" for Spanish usage) says that the use of a capital letter does not exempt putting the accent mark when the rules call for it and that it should be used -- see: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acentuación_de_las_mayúsculas

I generally agree on the feedback on the other pic - I'll have this in mind when it's my turn to revise that room. :) Thanks again!

If anything, the English never made sense in the original game and staying 100% faithful to a couple of the original paintings would be silly with how they're sloppily mirrored. Cris and Albert taking liberties where appropriate is fine.

As a Spaniard I can definitely confirm that this is the case.
This is my take also knowing Spanish. i know about the rule but i don't see it been put in practice.

The question would be what's the practice among Spain's hospitals? Do they accentuate capitals for the entrance to the operating room? But seen as you guys always do the research from pictures all around the web i guess we know the answer. XD So i stand corrected.

But for some countries like Venezuela, Argentina and some caribbean ones accents over capitals doesn't seem widespread from my experience.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ahh, now I understand! I didn't see that one - we'll be addressing that. :)

I appreciate you sharing this. I think it's worthwhile to lay out some thoughts on my end that might clarify.

Staying true to the original has been, and continues to be a foundational guiding principle. To that end, the search continues for the original source materials and locations. For example, last month Albert traveled to Wales to do additional photography at five castles that were sourced for the game.

However, as we navigate through each area, some interesting questions arise:

Some of these questions are easier to answer than others, and we sometimes have to operate in a "fuzzy" space that doesn't have definitive right or wrong answers.

Here's how we've answered these questions so far:

Then we should do our best to re-create it while staying true to the original. It won't always be perfect, but it should be very much in line with the look and feel of the original. Most of the textures you see in comparison shots (the ones that say "re-creation") fall into this category. My hope is that while we won't always be perfect, we will at least generally be excellent (haha the painting in my last post was my attempt at matching the original :) I have very much captured the feedback that gogogow and another user provided and as time allows I may revisit).

Then re-create it according to what was described in #1, and if there are any parts of the higher res version that can be salvaged, then great!

This has come up several times. For example, some of the notes that you find in the game are actually a slightly modified influenza notice:

In this kind of situation where something is inconsistent, we err on the side of staying true to the game world instead of the individual texture. For the note above, instead of using the original source, the overall tone was kept but the text was altered to reflect the content of the note.

Another scenario is that of what language to use. As you know, the game is set entirely in Spain, with Spanish-speaking enemies and characters. As a result, we find it more true to the game world to have text appear consistently in Spanish. There may be exceptions, but by and large this will be the case.

We fix it! :)

I hope that's helpful background information for everyone. And everyone, please do continue sharing feedback! It has been a helpful source of guidance throughout!

Just wanna chime in and say this all seems like the best way to handle it, and I really admire both of your dedication in the project.

This is looking amazing. I really hope you folks get a fine reward for your efforts in the form of game industry work. You deserve it, IMO.

Also, I think changing the signs and such to Spanish is a great idea. The game is set in Spain, they should reflect that.

i replayed RE4 again and it's such a phenomenal game. Glad to see you guys doing this phenomenal work. I can't believe how much effort is being put into this. congratulations

Okay, I just want to say, that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!! Normally, I tend to avoid the hell out of texture mods because usually, they are pretty crap. Lose the feel of the original game, are overly sharp, etc etc. But this? This is PERFECT. Not a single texture that I've seen looking over the last page or so looks out of place. Nothing looks over done. Nothing looks wrong. I absolutely love this. Best of all, it looks like it's actually somewhat close to completion, meaning I'll actually be able to play it! I CANNOT WAIT till this is done.

However, my only question, is.... is there a mod that causes the game to perfectly mirror the GCN controls? I know REHD on 360 and PS3 used some shitty ass PS2 deadzones, is that the case with the PC version? Can I mod the button icons/controls to match the GCN controls? If so, I will absolutely be playing through this, and will almost certainly be throwing you guys some donation money.

Top Bottom