• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

LewieP

The exact same control scheme as the Wii version? With a cursor present at all times, and aiming decoupled from camera movement? I'd love to hear more details on that.

No, you can't pre-aim, but the game is better for it. RE4 is so crafted around the time it takes to do things from the fixed turn speed to the time it takes to get your gun up. The pre aiming you can do with the floating cursor completely removes one of those facets and makes the game too easy. Now you can still aim with the pointer but you have to do it quickly and plan for the time it takes rather than do it at any time before bringing the gun up.

I loved the Wii controls when they came out but after playing more and more I just came to realize how much they broke the game, and the way it works on the PC version is still as fun because of the pointer being fun to control but just so much better balanced.

scitek

No, you can't pre-aim, but the game is better for it. RE4 is so crafted around the time it takes to do things from the fixed turn speed to the time it takes to get your gun up. The pre aiming you can do with the floating cursor completely removes one of those facets and makes the game too easy. Now you can still aim with the pointer but you have to do it quickly and plan for the time it takes rather than do it at any time before bringing the gun up.

I loved the Wii controls when they came out but after playing more and more I just came to realize how much they broke the game, and the way it works on the PC version is still as fun because of the pointer being fun to control but just so much better balanced.

You mean just use the Wiimote+Nunchuk as an Xbox 360 controller, which is nothing like the Wii controls at all.

Rich!

Why exactly? You realize RE4's actions are almost entirely binary by design? The only free range motion you have is the aiming, where a Wii remote can emulate a mouse really well.

I assume it would be an absolute pain to set up, not to mention the QuickTime events coming up with random keyboard prompts rather than actual buttons being used.

LewieP

No, you can't pre-aim, but the game is better for it.

I understand this perspective, but don't share it.

I would usually recommend people play it with a regular controller on their first go. I agree with you that this increases the tension and it is a limitation that suits the game design.

In subsequent playthroughs though? I think the added responsiveness and precision really suits playing it aiming for the maximum efficiency playstyle. By having quicker and more precise aiming, I can aim to be as efficient with ammo as possible, selling any spare/unused ammo, and I push myself to use melee as much as possible, intending to navigate the game's (really interesting) upgrade system with maximum efficiency. It's a different game played this way, but I get a great deal of enjoyment from it.

Play it first time on normal, with a controller, then if the above sounds appealing to you, play it on hard with Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

Part of why I think RE4 is one of the best games ever is that it absolutely satisfies when playing with either of these approaches. The min-maxing style is viable in the original Gamecube release too, but it's enhanced with the Wii version controls in my opinion.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I want this to happen too, Cris and Albert deserve to be paid for this fine work. But Capcom is going to Capcom. They're not going to release yet another PC version after UHD, and they'll most likely just port UHD to consoles. What I fear most is Capcom C&Ding the project cause they feel it is making them look bad.

I honestly never heard of a C&D for a texture mod, especially on PC. This mod is making Capcom money, too.

Anyway, Chris and Albert should apply for a job at Bluepoint or QLOC.

Unai

I want this to happen too, Cris and Albert deserve to be paid for this fine work. But Capcom is going to Capcom. They're not going to release yet another PC version after UHD, and they'll most likely just port UHD to consoles. What I fear most is Capcom C&Ding the project cause they feel it is making them look bad.

They're very close, Super Salvador is more "battle damaged."

Nah, Capcom have already said they are a-ok with mods.

KyleCross

Nah, Capcom have already said they are a-ok with mods.

They also said Resident Evil 6 was going to be a return to the roots of the series. XD

I'll say again; I don't think it'll happen, it is an irrational fear of mine and it probably won't ever go away until the mod is released and safely archived throughout the net.

That redone torch/lamp staff looks quite high-poly to me! So what are the limits of the engine?
I'm not sure if there's a hard limit when it comes to the environmental 3D models. We *have* run into a limit when it comes to the tools we are using the repack the 3D models, but we'll see if that can be overcome as well. So far there has only been one instance of that limit coming into play, and we're figuring out ways around it. For this room (the one I just shared shots from) it wasn't an issue even though there are at least 8 of those torches in this section (in addition to all the floor holes, the higher poly vegetables, etc.).
How many hours have you guys spent working on this mod at this point?
I'm thinking about putting together a "By the Numbers" section that would go over this kind of information. Stay tuned.
This might be a stretch, but hell, I figured I may as well ask; do you guys have the means to alleviate the botched 60fps support, mainly with the QTEs?
No sir. :-(

nded

I don't think Capcom are going to C&D a mod project that might encourage further sales of their product.

I mean, unless they're really stupid.

Since the Wii version tangent it's in full swing now, i' ll take the opportunity to ask, athought it has probably been asked already:

Can some of these textures be used for the Wii version through Dolphin? Or the project leads will be willing to port some of the work or wouldn't mind if someone else used their work (if possible) to update that version?

i don't know if i formulated the question correctly XD

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since the Wii version tangent it's in full swing now, i' ll take the opportunity to ask, athought it has probably been asked already:

Can some of these textures be used for the Wii version through Dolphin? Or the project leads will be willing to port some of the work or wouldn't mind if someone else used their work (if possible) to update that version?

i don't know if i formulated the question correctly XD

It was actually originally in development for the Wii version, but that work was ported to PC once it was possible.

Maybe they'll release raw texture files as well for those who want to try and make it work with Wii edition, but because they're doing stuff like model edits as well some textures probably wont line up correctly on the Wii.

Nerrel

I understand this perspective, but don't share it.

I would usually recommend people play it with a regular controller on their first go. I agree with you that this increases the tension and it is a limitation that suits the game design.

In subsequent playthroughs though? I think the added responsiveness and precision really suits playing it aiming for the maximum efficiency playstyle.

I personally would find it much duller to replay the game without the Wii remote. It's so much more fun to be able to aim precisely and test your abilities on replays, as opposed to fucking around with the clumsiness of analog sticks to artificially create difficulty.

I do think the Wii version could have been better if it had offered a "classic" aiming option, where there was no on screen cursor and the laser sight was still used for aiming. The controls themselves would function identically otherwise, you'd just have no pre-aiming and the targeting would be a little less obvious.

It was actually originally in development for the Wii version, but that work was ported to PC once it was possible.

Maybe they'll release raw texture files as well for those who want to try and make it work with Wii edition, but because they're doing stuff like model edits as well some textures probably wont line up correctly on the Wii.

I'd like to see that happen, but honestly, with all the 3D edits, mapping fixes, and 60fps exclusive to Steam, I don't see a point in playing in Dolphin and getting an inferior experience. Unless you really, really love the Wii remote. I actually do, but the Steam controller with gyro aim should work well enough. I got RE6 up and running with a Wii U style scheme that worked pretty well, I assume the same will be possible here.

Using the Wii-mote controls in RE4 is like using the alternate "modern" controls in RE1 HD. The entire game is built around those restrictions, and its a lesser experience diverting from them. There's nothing "artificial" about it. That's how game design works.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Using the Wii-mote controls in RE4 is like using the alternate "modern" controls in RE1 HD. The entire game is built around those restrictions, and its a lesser experience diverting from them. There's nothing "artificial" about it. That's how game design works.

Lesser is subjective though. I think its a different experience. It fundamentally changes the way you play the game in ways that might conflict with the intended method of play, but artistic intention isn't all that matters in art and games. RE4 is an action game, and Wii remote controls allow for a higher level of action-oriented execution. Some other parts of the experience might suffer, but depending on your priorities theres absolutely a possibility for someone to find it more enjoyable.

Nerrel

From the perspective of someone who has completed the game both ways and has both control options readily available, using a controller feels like artificially increasing the difficulty. It's the same game, just with inferior aiming. If I want to make the experience more difficult, I'll choose professional mode.

I don't deny that the game was designed around analog aiming. I just would never choose to play it that way over IR aiming in a million years.

Unai

From the perspective of someone who has completed the game both ways and has both control options readily available, using a controller feels like artificially increasing the difficulty. It's the same game, just with inferior aiming. If I want to make the experience more difficult, I'll choose professional mode.

I don't deny that the game was designed around analog aiming. I just would never choose to play it that way over IR aiming in a million years.

I completely agree with you.

I do think the Wii version could have been better if it had offered a "classic" aiming option, where there was no on screen cursor and the laser sight was still used for aiming. The controls themselves would function identically otherwise, you'd just have no pre-aiming and the targeting would be a little less obvious.

I played through the Wii version desperately wishing for this. I wonder if it would be possible to create this with a Dolphin code. The pieces are there, since the laser is present when the game detects a Gamecube or Classic controller.

I played through the Wii version desperately wishing for this. I wonder if it would be possible to create this with a Dolphin code. The pieces are there, since the laser is present when the game detects a Gamecube or Classic controller.

What you are describing can be accomplished on the PC version using a Wii remote and GlovePIE.

Nerrel

You might be able to emulate GC/CC analog stick input with the IR camera, but I'm not sure it would feel anywhere near as good as the default controls. I don't think the camera would be stable when aiming, for one. But at least you'd be able to aim a laser sight with the remote.

I actually redrew the cursor for the Dolphin texture pack, so it's at least possible to alter that into whatever you want:
20458957629_8246e181de_o.png

Before
After

You could remove elements of it to just leave a simple red dot in the center. That might emulate the laser well, but you wouldn't have the beam to guide you. I might actually have to rig this up and see how it works...

What you are describing can be accomplished on the PC version using a Wii remote and GlovePIE.
It's technically possible, but using the IR for mouse-style camera movement never worked for me. The camera is really unstable, so you have to lower the sensitivity a lot. By that point, the cursor is too sluggish to really feel like IR aiming should. Imagine a typical FPS on Wii where you used the dead zones to turn, but with the zones locked to "0" with high turn speeds so that every little movement threw your view dramatically. RE5 is the only game where this works thanks to the cursor aiming mode it offers where the camera is controlled by the left stick, but even there it was pretty buggy. Maybe I just didn't have a good enough script, but it was a real mess. Typical PC controls aren't comfortably compatible with IR aiming, unfortunately. The Steam pad with gyro aiming is a far better solution.

SOLDIER

I tried installing the village demo, and everything seems to work fine with one exception: hitting the start button (Share for DS4) instantly closes the game.

I can't access my inventory like this. Is there a fix?

I tried installing the village demo, and everything seems to work fine with one exception: hitting the start button (Share for DS4) instantly closes the game.

I can't access my inventory like this. Is there a fix?

Our work doesn't affect the control mechanisms of the game, though. I'm not certain what is causing the issue you're experiencing, but I don't believe our files are the reason. Could you try switching to the non-HD textures in the video settings of the game? Does it happen there as well?

Nerrel

Update from Albert for the Operating room!

307Z.jpg

More commentary on this update at re4hd.com

It may not be the most eye catching difference you've posted, but this is an absolutely ideal texture update. It looks exactly the same, just a lot better. It's attention to detail like this that makes this mod really impressive. The original game almost looks like someone took your textures and heavily compressed them.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Update from Albert for the Operating room!

307U.jpg

More commentary on this update at re4hd.com

This one is especially hilarious as you can see Capcom ran out of memory and just reused textures from other parts of the room for the buttons :D

Exceptional work as always, Cris and Albert!

Ryman

As usual, I am extremely impressed with the progress that is being made. I enjoy reading the progress updates, and look forward to revisiting one of my all-time favorite games. Kudos to both Chris and Albert!

finley83

Banned
Impressive work as always! Particularly impressed with how faithful you are with the small details.

Also, I'm not sure I want to know how you got the gore textures...

i got a question.

Is it technically posible to update the particle effects? Things like the myst, smoke, water splashes blood splatters, dust particles, cold air, etc.

i really like the effort been spent for every item, no matter how minor, that has some text to be in actual spanish. Even the wall thermometer in the video.

Stellar retexturing as always.

Question out of curiosity though: is there a reason why some text is in English (unlike the Spanish in older areas) in the last two batches of screenshots, or is that due for a change in the future?

112004.jpg

Although blurry, the original seems in Spanish i think (abrir - cerrar). What do you think Mr. Decuba?
:) The original source texture (which was found in higher resolution) was in English (and then I enhanced it further to be even higher res). But you're right, that'll most likely be revised for consistency with the game world.

I recently played through Psycho Break (The Evil Within). That game very much feels like a natural evolution of Biohazard 4's formula. While playing through it, I couldn't help but wonder about the progress on this project, as I definitely plan on replaying B4 as soon as it's completed.

I've said this before, but it seems every time I wonder about this project, an update appears in this thread. Heh! There's no such thing as a random coincidence. ;)

The effort put into this project is absolutely mindblowing. I'm really looking forward to seeing the entirety of it in action.

Hisoka

Whoa, your work is stunning!
I don't want to know how much time you put into this. Your work is appreciated, keep it coming!

Whoa, your work is stunning!
I don't want to know how much time you put into this. Your work is appreciated, keep it coming!

Funny you should mention - we recently put up a "by the numbers" page that goes over some figures associated with the project ( http://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=2977 )

Also, Albert just put up a post showing some of the corrections / improvements that have been made to the Village section (we gained the ability to make these kind of corrections while in the Castle section, and so Albert has been going back periodically to correct issues / make enhancements to the village section). Additional shots and some commentary by Albert at the site: re4hd.com

Top Bottom