• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Nerrel

v11.jpg

v12.jpg

v09.jpg

Fuck, I'm donating again.
http://www.re4hd.com/

Since the room where Salazar sends Leon into the pit is only presented via a cut-scene, I thought it would be good to share the entire scene in a video along with some comparison clips. For the best viewing experience, watch in full screen of course. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/j6r8pEH-v84

Since when did the Ashley model got retouched? i was thinking you were doing the environments alone first?

Also a question/suggestion:

Don't you think it would be wise to release the texture packs for the community to use each time you complete a section?

You don't know if for some reason you can't go on with the project down the line, so it would be a nice safety measure to at least have part of your hard work out there. And it also opens the possibility for other folks to over take in case of need.

Since when did the Ashley model got retouched? i was thinking you were doing the environments alone first?

Also a question/suggestion:

Don't you think it would be wise to release the texture packs for the community to use each time you complete a section?

You don't know if for some reason you can't go on with the project down the line, so it would be a nice safety measure to at least have part of your hard work out there. And it also opens the possibility for other folks to over take in case of need.
The textures on Ashley are the ones Capcom made for the UHD version of the game.

Releasing texture packs as you describe takes time (including the time needed to respond to feedback, questions, technical issues, etc.), which would slow down our overall progress, sorry. Additionally, we'd like any work that's released to be as close to final as possible.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That video shows off how it is such a HUUUUUUGE upgrade.

Aside from the character models the game looks years ahead of what I'd expect of any Gamecube title.

Excellent work.

Bl@de

Since the room where Salazar sends Leon into the pit is only presented via a cut-scene, I thought it would be good to share the entire scene in a video along with some comparison clips. For the best viewing experience, watch in full screen of course. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/j6r8pEH-v84

Let me just say that you two guys are creating the best remaster I have ever seen. The quality jump is simply amazing. This project is better than the "efforts" of some companies.

Happy 2016! I’m happy to share an update from the room where you get the King’s grail. This room was fun, yet frustrating for a few reasons:

1. The 3D modeling for the curtains were rather lacking, so I had to recreate them from scratch. I’m happy with the level of detail in the end result.

2. There are a number of statue heads in the room (a wolf, a deer, etc.) and in the original game they took one messy looking metallic texture and used it for all the models, resulting in quite a mess. This has been corrected by creating a separate texture for each model and then remapping it. The knight’s armor hanging in the room was also rather messy – to the point where it seems like it was simply a mistake that looked passable in the original due to the low resolution.

Hope you enjoy the work in progress, and here’s to a great 2016 (and *fingers crossed* the completion of the project).

You can follow the project here: re4hd.com :)

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Is Capcom gonna swoop in with a cease and desist or just sign some papers and release this on pc/ps4/xbone?

Unai

Is Capcom gonna swoop in with a cease and desist or just sign some papers and release this on pc/ps4/xbone?

Capcom has never done C&D for mods and also have more than once explicitly said they are ok mith mods, even though they don't support them officially.

Bluth54

I feel like the smarter move would be to buy the rights to this mod when it's finished and officially incorporate it into the game.

This looks great, except for the overhaul of that knight armor. The original looks much more like an actual authentic suit of armor and the changes made seem to go too far, like adding decorations where there were none in the vanilla version. The shield retexture looks great though.

This looks great, except for the overhaul of that knight armor. The original looks much more like an actual authentic suit of armor and the changes made seem to go too far, like adding decorations where there were none in the vanilla version. The shield retexture looks great though.

I'm not sure what type of armor you're talking about but that original is anything but authentic, it looks straight up broken. The new texture and modeling looks great.

It really was a broken uv mapping effort. The reason I believe this is because the same model is used in other rooms with the same texture and the uv mapping is done properly in those rooms.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is the most incredible update we've had in a while. Every change is a night and day difference

Golnei

I agree about that curtain, the improvement is ridiculous.

The fuck? Is that original texture real? Hard to believe that particular kind of amateurish mapping would make it into the final game.

Maybe it was their way of imitating a reflective surface without a specular map? Though that obviously couldn't translate to a higher-quality texture.

It really was a broken uv mapping effort. The reason I believe this is because the same model is used in other rooms with the same texture and the uv mapping is done properly in those rooms.
Thanks for the clarification. Looking at it closer now (and googling what uv mapping is), I can actually see what you're talking about. Considering how faithfully you've recreated everything else, I probably should have put more thought in my criticism.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at it closer now (and googling what uv mapping is), I can actually see what you're talking about. Considering how faithfully you've recreated everything else, I probably should have put more thought in my criticism.
No no! Feedback is always good! Sorry for not describing uv mapping. In general I should say texture mapping.

I feel like the smarter move would be to buy the rights to this mod when it's finished and officially incorporate it into the game.
i think if we get this mod enough exposure it could happen. On the other hand Capcom will still get sales no matter what.

The other possibility is for Mr. Cris and Mr. Albert to get some texturing work with Cap. Don't know if they would like that.

It has been almost two years since you started working on that project and the updates are still constantly impressing me.

Am I allowed to nag a little bit about the latest update? That new curtain textures looks a bit too "clean" and tidy. A more worn-out look would have fitted better in my opinion. Just my two cents. Still looks a hundred times better than the original.

I donated a third time because I really like to see this project retain its quality to the last texture.

Hey guys! We realized that Albert's last two updates weren't shared here on neogaf, so here you go! You can read some additional commentary on his experience in revising these rooms by visiting the site (re4hd.com). Enjoy the work in progress!

Part 1 of getting Ashley out of her cell:

Garbage Dump Area (Room 30b)

It has been almost two years since you started working on that project and the updates are still constantly impressing me.

Am I allowed to nag a little bit about the latest update? That new curtain textures looks a bit too "clean" and tidy. A more worn-out look would have fitted better in my opinion. Just my two cents. Still looks a hundred times better than the original.

I donated a third time because I really like to see this project retain its quality to the last texture.
That's not nagging! :) Thanks for the feedback - I agree, this is something I'll address as time allows.

Also, thanks for donating! We always appreciate the support!!

Top Bottom