• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 coming to 360 "any day now"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Shiggy said:
Ever heard of "French"?

Well, I know "noir" is a French word, and perhaps Noire might be a gendered form of noir, but Los Angeles is a masculine noun. Noire might also be an adverb.

P.S. You're an ass who might not speak French.

Opiate

So ill use this as a launching point: what is MS's next move? The obvious answer, of course, is natal. Outside of that, I see very little room for growth.

Their room for growth before this generation began was, "strip the PlayStation of all its exclusives." That's a goal they've succeeded brilliantly at, and it has hurt Sony mightily. Now that this goal is largely accomplished, it becomes a war of first parties, and I don't think Ms is equipped to win that long term. This problem will be exaggerated if/when epic or bungie begin developing for other platforms.

I therefore think MS is putting most of their eggs in the natal basket in a way that Sony wont do with the Ark. I suspect that their subsidies for third parties are massive, even by MS' already generous standards. I wouldn't be surprised if every game released at Natal's launch wasn't coadvertisef by Microsoft with all licensing fees waved.

FrankT

Opiate said:
So ill use this as a launching point: what is MS's next move? The obvious answer, of course, is natal. Outside of that, I see very little room for growth.

Their room for growth before this generation began was, "strip the PlayStation of all its exclusives." That's a goal they've succeeded brilliantly at, and it has hurt Sony mightily. Now that this goal is largely accomplished, it becomes a war of first parties, and I don't think Ms is equipped to win that long term. This problem will be exaggerated if/when epic or bungie begin developing for other platforms.

I therefore think MS is putting most of their eggs in the natal basket in a way that Sony wont do with the Ark. I suspect that their subsidies for third parties are massive, even by MS' already generous standards. I wouldn't be surprised if every game released at Natal's launch wasn't coadvertisef by Microsoft with all licensing fees waved.

You must be in the wrong thread.

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
You must be in the wrong thread.
No. My point was that MS' initial goal was to attract all third party exclusives to go multiplat, and this game is an example of how that's pretty much been accomplished. My question is: what next? Because Epic will eventually go multiplatform, and Bungie is at least independant, if not actually an immanent threat to migrate to multiplat. One could easily argue that MS' first party is weaker now than it was at the 360s launch.

Shiggy

Y2Kev said:
Well, I know "noir" is a French word, and perhaps Noire might be a gendered form of noir, but Los Angeles is a masculine noun. Noire might also be an adverb.

P.S. You're an ass who might not speak French.

I'm sorry but that is not the case.
If you cannot use the feminine form of the French "noir" for LA, then it may have been the programmer's fault who thought it would be written with an "e", as reported by Veracious Shit.

Opiate said:
No. My point was that MS' was to attract all third party exclusives to go multiplat, and this game is an example of how that's pretty much been accomplished. My question is: what next?

Everything.

Yopis

Hey the more people the better I say .If the game is great in the end then good stuff more people have access to it.

Opiate said:
No. My point was that MS' was to attract all third party exclusives to go multiplat, and this game is an example of how that's pretty much been accomplished. My question is: what next?

How is this an example? LA Noire was exclusive to the PS3 because Sony was the publisher at first. They dropped it and when Rockstar picked it up it became a multiplatform title.

chubigans said:
Nah, Sony went to Rockstar and paid some cash to get a PS3 only game going. No way they're going to allow the game to make it's way elsewhere after funding it.

You can tell because Sony (think it was Trenton) was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much to announce about the Rockstar deal back in an interview. They gave them the deal and kinda waited around to see the results. Much different then seeing Agent and putting up some money to get it exclusively for their platform.

Even Rockstar said developing for just one system with Agent was very different, had it's benefits, etc.
Sony also gave Rockstar a whole lot of money back in 2002 for an exclusivity contract for GTA games to only come out on PlayStation 2 (PC excluded) for two years. A lot of good that did them.

LosDaddie

Banned
Opiate said:

Take out the NATAL mention and it's like Q4 2007 all over again. :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
Akia said:
I just thought this could be the GameInformer thread for this month. Also the news is kinda buried in page 4/5 of that thread. It gets more exposure with its own thread.

The news that this game isn't exlcusive is years old.

Paracelsus

Opiate said:

Rather, if what Elios83 said is correct, more than commending Microsoft you should blame Team Bondi for being slow as ****.

At this point in the generation I wouldn't even bother to keep exclusives, since it's clear they aren't going to change a thing. Were I in Sony shoes I would get the money back and fund some of the first party titles they canned or something, at least you know they aren't going anywhere.

MirageDwarf said:
original trailer was in B&W. Would be really cool if developer is daring and make it B&W throughout.

It would definitely fit with the Noir aesthetic much better
I trust R* though, they know their stuff and this will probably end up being Humphrey Bogart: The game

FrankT

Opiate said:

So you bring up a very little room for growth argument in a thread about a game that has pretty much been confirmed multi for a good while now. Seems a little off to be honest, but okay I'll bite. So with this game and many other games going multi your argument is MS rests it's laurels on Natal for the rest of this gen with very little growth. Ok, I'll check this thread next year to see what kind of growth they have had and bookmark it check it in 2012 as well.

LosDaddie said:

Indeed, heh if anything their first and third party exclusives rival the best year they have ever had, which happens to be 2007 as far as exclusive SW goes.

Replicant

:lol :lol :lol @ title change.

And the original title is OLD NEWS. As someone said, Sony actually scraped the project when the team couldn't deliver the deadlines. Rockstar decided to pick it up and made it multiplatform...a few years ago.

Opiate

LosDaddie said:
Yep. I could absolutely be wrong. But as time has passed, the multiplat trend has grown even stronger, and even begun to work against Ms: exlusve studios like bioware and bizarre are pushing towards multiplat, and I'm confident that epic will be headed there, too. At the same time, I think Ms first party has gotten progressively weaker, with the initial loss of bumgie along with fasa and ensemble.

Again, I could be proven wrong. I just think MS plan needs to change course --now that their initial goal has been accomplished -- and Natal seems to be their main if exclusive attempt to do so.

p_p_o_d said:
this thread reminds me of ....
kotaku-slowpoke.jpg
:lol :lol I was looking for that pic,
but yeah I thought everyone knew this

h3ro

Pshh, whatever. Assassin's Creed is going to destroy whatever Halobox 420 puts out. Best PS3 exclusive of '07. Just you watch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opiate said:
No. My point was that MS' initial goal was to attract all third party exclusives to go multiplat, and this game is an example of how that's pretty much been accomplished. My question is: what next? Because Epic will eventually go multiplatform, and Bungie is at least independant, if not actually an immanent threat to migrate to multiplat. One could easily argue that MS' first party is weaker now than it was at the 360s launch.
Technically Epic is already multiplatform with Unreal and People Can Fly's new game. They also own Titan Studios which made Fat Princess.

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
So you bring up a very little room for growth argument in a thread about a game that has pretty much been confirmed multi for a good while now. Seems a little off to be honest, but okay I'll bite. So with this game and many other games going multi your argument is MS rests it's laurels on Natal for the rest of this gen with very little growth. Ok, I'll check this thread next year to see what kind of growth they have had and bookmark it check it in 2012 as well.

Indeed, heh if anything their first and third party exclusives rival the best year they have ever had, which happens to be 2007 as far as exclusive SW goes.

I don't think you're understanding me: I'm not passing judgement on natals chances, I'm saying that natal is ms' only project I see on the horizon which provides any opportunity for growth. If it succeeds, then they will grow. If it doesn't, I think they'll be in a very poor competitive position. In other words, I think Ms is tied to Natals success more closely than Sony is tied to arc. If BOTH arc and natal faceplant, I'd rather be Sony than MS.

Top Bottom