• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 coming to 360 "any day now"

FrankT

Nirolak said:
Technically Epic is already multiplatform with Unreal and People Can Fly's new game. They also own Titan Studios which made Fat Princess.

Seems more like a reference to Gears which I'm fairly certain 3 will indeed be published by MS.

Opiate said:
I don't think you're understanding me: I'm not passing judgement on natals chances, I'm saying that natal is ms' only project I see on the horizon which provides any opportunity for growth. If it succeeds, then they will grow. If it doesn't, I think they'll be in a very poor competitive position. In other words, I think Ms is tied to Natals success more closely than Sony is tied to arc.
If BOTH arc and natal facwplant, I'd rather be Sony than MS.

So what exactly passed say GT5 then provides opportunity for "growth" for Sony then that you would rather be Sony then MS. You could say the same thing for Reach and yes a true Halo in the vien of 1-3 will push HW as well. I don't have a clue how Natal will fare, but I'm also fairly certain MS is not putting all their eggs in that basket which seems to be your argument.

LosDaddie said:
Basically, it's all downhill for the X360 unless NATAL is huge hit, correct?

And what is your point? Same as Opiate's point?

Indeed they grew the audience by around 10 million last year which I suppose isn’t growth. I guess after Natal it’s all down hill from here. Even in the US if you speak just on terms of growth they did increase YoY.

Opiate said:
Basically, yes. Microsoft, like Sony, is a marketshare driven company. I think their marketshare will begin to erode rapidly if Natal isn't a hit. If it is a hit, the sky's the limit -- which is why I suspect Microsoft is handing out massive moneyhats for initial natal development. They have more to lose from natal's failure than Sony has to lose from Arc's.

Great, I'll make sure I bookmark this for next year then. Almost as good as Edge's 360 may never outsell the PS3 again in early 08.

h3ro

Akia said:
This is what happens when you take a late lunch at work. You get back to find that your has thread completely backfired on you.

Akia
so bitter
(Today, 03:00 PM)
Reply | Quote

LosDaddie

Banned
Opiate said:
I don't think you're understanding me: I'm not passing judgement on natals chances, I'm saying that natal is ms' only project I see on the horizon which provides any opportunity for growth. If it succeeds, then they will grow. If it doesn't, I think they'll be in a very poor competitive position. In other words, I think Ms is tied to Natals success more closely than Sony is tied to arc.
If BOTH arc and natal facwplant, I'd rather be Sony than MS.

gerg said:
I'm not sure what your point is. The 360's sales were stagnant in 2009.

RBH

kim_web.jpg

Opiate

Jtyettis said:
Seems more like a reference to Gears which I'm fairly certain 3 will indeed be published by MS.
Right. I think gears 3 will be exclusive, and after that epic wont be exclusive with any major property ever again. There's simply too much money to be lost. Were rapidly reaching the point where meaningful exclusives -- that is, not something like timed exclusive DLC for a game -- are simply too costly to justify. I feel quite confident that Gears and Mass Effect will both be multiplat eventually.

gerg

LosDaddie said:

My point is that it appears that, at the moment, Microsoft is banking on Natal as providing the most opportunity for growth in 2010. There are shades of grey between "rising to heaven" and "going third party".

Opiate

LosDaddie said:

Basically, yes. Microsoft, like Sony, is a marketshare driven company. I think their marketshare will begin to erode rapidly if Natal isn't a hit. If it is a hit, the sky's the limit -- which is why I suspect Microsoft is handing out massive moneyhats for initial natal development. They have more to lose from natal's failure than Sony has to lose from Arc's.

h3ro said:
See what happens when you try to go back in time to get the sports almanac?

Hmmm, that question/statement flew right over my head. :/

Fuck it, I'm just going to lol like everyone else at the thread title change.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

RavenFox

Banned
Dra-Q said:
Probably?
When MGS4 shows up Agent will be holding hands with it. Oh wait...
black_vegeta said:
Hmmm, that question/statement flew right over my head. :/

Fuck it, I'm just going to lol like everyone else at the thread title change.

:lol :lol :lol :lol
That's what happens when you post 3 year old news.

Opiate said:
No. My point was that MS' initial goal was to attract all third party exclusives to go multiplat, and this game is an example of how that's pretty much been accomplished. My question is: what next? Because Epic will eventually go multiplatform, and Bungie is at least independant, if not actually an immanent threat to migrate to multiplat. One could easily argue that MS' first party is weaker now than it was at the 360s launch.

Epic is multiplatform, they just prefer to work with Microsoft for the time being.

And to answer your question (although I don't think this is the right thread for that discussion), I don't think Microsoft is putting all its eggs into the Natal basket. After losing/closing down some first party studios, they started to grow new ones from the ground up. This is important, because they've obviously learned that buying studios is not the way to go in most cases: they bought Digital Anvil, Chris Roberts left, the studio went under; they bought FASA, Jordan Weisman moved to a new position, the studio eventually went under; they bought Bungie, it didn't quite work out in the long run, Bungie left; they bought Rare, Stampers went away, the studio is still holding, but hasn't had a huge hit in ages (although Rare still serves its purpose in the big picture); they bought Ensemble, later realized they didn't really fit with their future strategy, Ensemble got shut down. You get the point (I also suggest reading the issue 73 of The Escapist, some neat articles about Microsoft and its corporate culture over there).

Unlike the majority of GAF, I think they're on the right track with this new wave of restructuring, but it's going to take time before it bears some tangible fruit (I also get a good laugh out of every "Microsoft should buy/should've bought that studio" post that are quite common around here. It's not that simple).

MirageDwarf said:
But we all agree that Sony does better job of keeping any game exclusive if they want to as compared to MS, right?

Not games that they don't own the IP rights to. How many exclusives does the PS3 have released so far that they don't own the IP rights to? If you don't own the IP rights to a game, expect it to go multiplatform at some point in it's life.

Solid warrior said:
Years Ago? what's going on? am i missing something? it's the first time for me to hear about LA Noir becoming Multi-platform.

Can someone post an official R* statement from "years ago" where they stated this title was multiplatform and not some rumor? Official confirmation?

chubigans said:
Nah, Sony went to Rockstar and paid some cash to get a PS3 only game going. No way they're going to allow the game to make it's way elsewhere after funding it.

You can tell because Sony (think it was Trenton) was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much to announce about the Rockstar deal back in an interview. They gave them the deal and kinda waited around to see the results. Much different then seeing Agent and putting up some money to get it exclusively for their platform.

Even Rockstar said developing for just one system with Agent was very different, had it's benefits, etc.

Of course they say this *now* but R* said the same thing about the GTA4 DLC stuff previously. Again... Rockstar owns the IP to Agent, not Sony. R* controls the game when the Sony contract expires.

Salz01

I saw the title change, and I'm far past being confused. Am I suppossed to be excited that RE5 news is coming or something?

So I see this thread and think to myself "WTF" So I come in see a bunch of LA Noire talk and I'm all kinds of confused. Then on the second page I realize the thread title was Bishified :lol

Salz01 said:
I saw the title change, and I'm far past being confused. Am I suppossed to be excited that RE5 news is coming or something?

you have to read the whole thing, the original title had to of been "LA Noire coming the 360", then OP gets pounced because this was announced as a Multiplat YEARS ago, and then Bish puts his "stamp of approval" on it with the title change :lol

black_vegeta said:
I was informed to read this thread below and I'll inform you that you do the same...it will bring you up to speed with the relationship between this L.A Noire "breaking news" and RE5 "breaking news."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173612

OH HOLY HELL....I have never seen that before, that just cakes on more awesome into this thread :lol the Shane Kim comments now have a whole lot more context :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
Can someone post an official R* statement from "years ago" where they stated this title was multiplatform and not some rumor? Official confirmation?

You're trying too hard. Capcom hadn't released an official statement either, we just knew it just like we did with Assassin Creed and now with LA Noire.

Not games that they don't own the IP rights to. How many exclusives does the PS3 have released so far that they don't own the IP rights to? If you don't own the IP rights to a game, expect it to go multiplatform at some point in it's life.

You miss the point. PS3 doesn't have any exclusives that Sony doesn't own the IPs to (MGS4 is one and the next installment is definitely going multiplatform) because they abandoned the old pay-for-exclusivity system and focused on first party efforts. The system was based not only on moneyhats but also on the big difference between console sales (previous gen). Now that the core consoles are almost equal in sales the system is difficult to work thus more and more devs going multiplatform (it's almost all of them now) and first party exclusives becoming more important.

seady

Dear all publishers, the best way to market your game these days:

1. Announce your game as exclusive to a single platform (despite the plan to release it for all systems).
2. Get all the fanboys of that system hyped.
3. Fanboys will help you market the game. Free of charge.
4. Attention Get.
5. Announce it as multiplatform near the time of release.

Publisher that mastered at this technique: Rockstar, SquareEnix, Capcom.

Seriously, if your game is not an existing big name franchise, the best way to make people aware of your game is to first announce it as exclusive.

OldJadedGamer said:

There was never an official confirmation, but there was this. Pretty obvious.

EDIT:

fortified_concept said:
You miss the point. PS3 doesn't have any exclusives that it doesn't own the IPs to (MGS4 is one and the next installment is definitely going multiplatform) because they abandoned the old pay-for-exclusivity system and focused on first party efforts.

Yes it does, Yakuza games, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter 5 back in the day, some smaller titles and many more games from the last two generations, some of which have spread out to other platforms in recent years (Sony hasn't gotten that many third party current gen exclusives in the first place). But yes, as far as their first party published products go, they like to own the IP. That's both a blessing and a curse, however. Some developers (most, actually, but it depends on the circumstances) will rather choose an option in which they can keep the IP and so they're more likely to go with a different publisher. Microsoft is not so strict on those requirements, which has both its advantages and disadvantages. And even if Sony keeps the IP, they might not keep the studio or people that originally worked on it. That also poses a fair share of risks.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
There was never an official confirmation, but there was this. Pretty obvious.

I knew about that, and the fact there there was no logo for any system on their official website for the game. I was just asking if there was anything official since everyone in this thread treated it like there was an announcement by them years ago stating the platforms. It's a valid question to ask on a game once thought to be exclusive to only one system.

seady said:
Dear all publishers, the best way to market your game these days:

1. Announce your game as exclusive to a single platform (despite the plan to release it for all systems).
2. Get all the fanboys of that system hyped.
3. Fanboys will help you market the game. Free of charge.
4. Attention Get.
5. Announce it as multiplatform near the time of release.

Publisher that mastered at this technique: Rockstar, SquareEnix, Capcom.

Seriously, if your game is not an existing big name franchise, the best way to make people aware of your game is to first announce it as exclusive.

Truth.

Raist

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Well, I know "noir" is a French word, and perhaps Noire might be a gendered form of noir, but Los Angeles is a masculine noun. Noire might also be an adverb.

P.S. You're an ass who might not speak French.

Towns (or cities, whatever) are always feminine in French.

Top Bottom