• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5: Director's Cut coming soon

Linkzg said:
Josh was the best character of RE5. Make a game based around him and I'll buy it two times.
But the whole game would be him suddenly materializing in areas and solving rubix cube puzzles on button terminals.

LQX

How did you get "Resident Evil 5: Director's Cut coming soon " out of that? I haven't been following the TGS thread, will it be announced at TGS?

LQX said:
How did you get "Resident Evil 5: Director's Cut coming soon " out of that? I haven't been following the TGS thread, will it be announced at TGS?
Because saying Coming Soon sounds better than It's Going to Come Out Eventually.

How About No said:
But the whole game would be him suddenly materializing in areas and solving rubix cube puzzles on button terminals.

RE5 was non-canon. In the true RE5, Chris dies within seconds and Josh kills everyone else while boning Jill, Sheva and making Wesker (openly) homosexual.

Sean

Banned
The way Jill was handled in RE5 was laughable. The reveal that she was
the masked bird lady
was totally fucking obvious (especially with all of Capcom's "RIP Jill" tombstone ads), and more annoying is the fact that Capcom made some high-res Jill model just for like a shitty two minute gameplay segment that you don't even get to control her.

I was hoping that Chris and Jill would reunite and partner up together for the rest of the game (or at least one mission) at that point. That would have been an awesome way to end the game.

USD

The partner AI isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. That said, they still need to beef up the partner AI significantly.

There also needs to be a re-tooled, no co-op campaign option, as well as the option to play through the campaign as Wesker and Jill.

There also should be a customizable Mercs mode that lets you choose your starting equipment, weapon strength, and AI difficulty.

The Mercs-exclusive weapons (Samurai Edge, Px4) should be unlockable in single-player.

Sean said:
the masked bird lady
was totally fucking obvious (especially with all of Capcom's "RIP Jill" tombstone ads), and more annoying is the fact that Capcom made some high-res Jill model just for like a shitty two minute gameplay segment that you don't even get to control her.
Jill (and Wesker) are playable in Mercs and Versus.

Sean said:
the masked bird lady

I was hoping that Chris and Jill would reunite and partner up together for the rest of the game (or at least one mission) at that point. That would have been an awesome way to end the game.

I do agree with this. You know what really pissed me off? The fact that it was
Chris and Sheva that finished off Wesker and not Chris and Jill
She was right there! Damn, what were Capcom thinking.

Andrew2

Banned
Sadist said:
Capcom loves 'dem Director's Cuts.

How else can they sap more money out of people? I mean release a unfinished game and later re-release as director cut to get even more money out people....

I think this will either be a Wii version or its just DLC. I dont know about a whole new director's cut on the same consoles so soon after its hit. It would need major amounts of new content to be worth it.

It could be RE5 retooled for use with the new motion controllers from MS and Sony though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Don't really care about Capcom or RE in general but I'll still buy it to keep the continuity in my collection. I wish Monolith would release a FEAR 2 directors cut so I could play the DLC. Fuck DD.

Baloonatic said:
I do agree with this. You know what really pissed me off? The fact that it was
Chris and Sheva that finished off Wesker and not Chris and Jill
She was right there! Damn, what were Capcom thinking.

"Here take these, I'm too sexy to hold an RPG."

Sadly, because Chris' story in RE1 is canon, Jill has never killed an end boss in RE with an RPG. Would've been sexier if Sheva and Jill where the ones to fire.

Zenith

Banned
re5 > re4 by miles for me. Almost on par with the old-school games.

LQX said:

by coming soon I mean within 6 months. Not much new content to make. Have to do it before the game becomes antiquated next to current releases. And whatsherface seemed to think everyone already knew about it.

I forget the proper terms, but you know the typical projected sales graph for product x you see in Business textbooks? How it tapers off unless do something to "boost" it. This is a booster. Boosters usually occur when sales are half their peak.

The partner AI isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. That said, they still need to beef up the partner AI significantly.

I never failed the game because of Sheva. She never did anything that had to make me reload. But it was the literal definition of babysitting. I always supervised everything she did, made sure she never wandered out of my sight.

I adore RE5.

It's not nearly as good as RE4, but RE4 is the second greatest piece of digital entertainment ever created behind Super Metroid, so that's understandable.

Thing is, I platinumed RE5 in like a week, so unless we get POINTER CONTROLS WITH PS3 WAND (PLEASE), I'll pass.

Jinjo

Please let this be DLC and not just disc-based. They'll get my money either way but the first one is better for me. :lol

Davey Cakes

Unless they're a complete co-op and Mercs fiend I don't see how anyone in their right mind can prefer RE5 to RE4.

It's a fun game, but there was so much lost potential, mostly due to the inclusion and focus of co-op.

That said, I'm interested in what exactly Capcom has planned for a director's cut version of the game. Hopefully not just more costumes and Mercs stages. A Separate Ways mission with Jill wouldn't be too bad.

I thought RE5 was better than 4 but it didn't exactly satisfy the RE fanboy within. I can acknowledge that they're both great games, but they're just not Resident Evil to me at all.

Dot50Cal

Banned
permutated said:
WTF? It begins?

Director's Cuts even after Special Editions? No wonder the industry is crumbling.
It never ended. You weren't around in 1996? We got:
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Resident Evil Director's Cut Dual Shock
Resident Evil PC (Uzi and Machinegun exclusive)
Resident Evil Saturn (Battle mode & costume exclusives)
Resident Evil: DS (Network Battle Mode (new) & more extras)

fernoca

Dot50Cal said:
Resident Evil
Plus a remake of that game..and a port of that remake too. :p

In any case, count me in if true.
One of my favorites RE games..ever, as a long time RE fan...can't wait! Only PS3 game with a Platinum Trophy! :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Zenith said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsmcx1vCZw&#t=7m03s

Patricia Ja Lee, the voice actress for the character Jill Valentine, reveals she is doing some more work for an upcoming director's cut.

Probably a Jill version of Separate Ways. They never showed what happened to her post-implant removal and pre-helicopter rescue. I'm banking multi-platform. Do you think it's actually a whole re-release of the game or is she just not sure what DLC is and is labelling it as a director's cut?

DLC I want:

Sheeva death scene shortly after Jill's plagua removal.
Jill replacing Sheeva's model at start
Jill killing Wesker with Chris instead of newbie Sheeva.
Train plaqua that was in the artbook for Biohazard 5.
One player mode with no forced co-op.

Oh, wait half these won't happen and Jun will still have failed to touch the Godfather of Biohazard's 4. My mistake. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This gives me hope about : Street Fighter IV'

USD said:

There also needs to be a re-tooled, no co-op campaign option, as well as the option to play through the campaign as Wesker and Jill.

There also should be a customizable Mercs mode that lets you choose your starting equipment, weapon strength, and AI difficulty.

The Mercs-exclusive weapons (Samurai Edge, Px4) should be unlockable in single-player.

Jill (and Wesker) are playable in Mercs and Versus.
If only Capcom was listening...

Dot50Cal said:
Resident Evil
I have always wanted to play the PC port just for the uzi weapon, it was in a screenshot once in a PSX magazine and ever since then i've always wanted to play it.

Never realised Saturn version had a battle mode feature, damn now my playstation copy feels gimped even more :lol

TheSeks said:
DLC I want:

Sheeva death scene shortly after Jill's plagua removal.
Jill replacing Sheeva's model at start
Jill killing Wesker with Chris instead of newbie Sheeva.
Train plaqua that was in the artbook for Biohazard 5.
One player mode with no forced co-op.

Oh, wait half these won't happen and Jun will still have failed to touch the Godfather of Biohazard's 4. My mistake. :(

Lol.

Personally, i do not mind the co-op, i just wish it hap been better designed.

Also, the new inventory can fuck itself. I could have lived with the ridiculous space decrease, and the ridiculous split, but the fact that it so cumbersome just took the fucking cake.

Erebus

lorddarkflare said:
Lol.

Personally, i do not mind the co-op, i just wish it hap been better designed.

Also, the new inventory can fuck itself. I could have lived with the ridiculous space decrease, and the ridiculous split, but the fact that it so cumbersome just took the fucking cake.
What? It was far more streamlined and simple to use than RE4. Just learn to use the "shortcuts" for equip and combine.

Red Blaster said:
I remember back in 2007 when everyone thought RE5 would be the pinnacle game of the generation.

:lol :lol :lol

:(

I'm still bitter about that. I was too imaginative back then.

EDIT:
And I'll admit, I never had a problem with RE5's inventory.

Bizzyb

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
Can't say I'm interested in this.

There's gotta be something really sweet in the director's cut to make me buy resident evil 5 again.

Wiimote/nunchuk support Baby!

oh yeah...:D

Ceebs

LiK said:
i loved RE4 (got all 3 consoles versions), but i also loved RE5 (got both versions). we exist! ;P
Same here. Played through RE4 like 10 times on the Gamecube, and on my 3rd run of the PC version of 5. People just like to complain I think.

edbrat

Unless they're a complete co-op and Mercs fiend

yup, I enjoyed the campaign and of course it doesn't measure up to RE4 but thats like calling out a play for not measuring up to shakespeare.

however RE5 mercs, good lord i played the living hell out of that. Nice community on XBL too ime.

Sectus

LiK said:
i loved RE4 (got all 3 consoles versions), but i also loved RE5 (got both versions). we exist! ;P
Me too! Although I also bought PC versions of RE4 and RE5.
So I'm more of a fanatical fan than you, so there!

I personally think people who think RE4 is some kind of masterpiece, but RE5 to be a bad game, to be furiously silly people. They're both amazing games, and RE5 did some huge advancements to the general combat like the new melee moves and mercenaries in general. You'd have to have some really irrational hatred towards coop with human players and hot AI Sheva if you dislike RE5.

Ceebs

If there is any complaint I can make about RE5, it is that there are not enough silly puzzles to open locked doors.

Oyashiro

I hope they include things such as:
- New weapons
- New partner (Jill)
- Jill side story (
I always thought they would release some sort of DLC that would let you play through the Chris/Jill mansion mission from RE5
)
- MOAR COSTUMEZ LOL

Give me Resi 1 with the RE4/5 view using RE5's STAR's uniforms, make it co-op and let us roam about the Mansion, and for god sake, make it HORROR not ACTION, k thx :).

Sectus said:
Me too! Although I also bought PC versions of RE4 and RE5.
So I'm more of a fanatical fan than you, so there!

I personally think people who think RE4 is some kind of masterpiece, but RE5 to be a bad game, to be furiously silly people. They're both amazing games, and RE5 did some huge advancements to the general combat like the new melee moves and mercenaries in general. You'd have to have some really irrational hatred towards coop with human players and hot AI Sheva if you dislike RE5.

People are just incapable of hyperbole. I thought RE4 to be a masterpiece, and while not nearly as good, RE5 was still a great game in its own right. I think that the biggest issue people had with it was the fact that it refined instead of innovated.

bumpkin said:
I played the demo and hated it, but I loved the full game... Different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, I also didn't like the demo at first, but I changed my mind after playing it online with my cousin. Co-op is what makes the game good. We both bought the game and played until we got the platinum trophy. I probably would have only played it one time and never touched it again if I had to play with AI Sheva.

Red Blaster said:
I remember back in 2007 when everyone thought RE5 would be the pinnacle game of the generation.

:lol :lol :lol
It really should have been on paper.

It followed up a pinnacle game of the generation and the developers were extremely careful not to rock the boat that RE4 put out in to the water in the first place.

They were just way, waaaaaay too careful. Afraid, really, of doing anything different from RE4. The one thing they did add - a forced co-op mode - is generally considered a damper on the game, or in the best cases, adds nothing but doesn't take anything away.

They put all their courage to do things differently in a single basket and that basket's quality varies wildly for most people.

hamchan

Everyone who is thinking about but hasn't played RE5, go play it, it's good. The game isn't in the same league as RE4 but really, how many games are these days?

Sectus

Why did this thread turn into this anyway? People who dislike RE5 wouldn't be interseted in a director's cut anyway, so they've got no reason to post in this thread. We should stay ontopic and speculate what this director's cut could be, like Patricia mentioned some good new scenes she did acting for, and that may be an awesome lesbian sex scene with Jill and Sheva. Talking about that would be 10 times more productive than arguing.

Top Bottom