• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

Mr_Zombie

So like, all of these agents are immune to all the viruses, right? That's why they take them on in horribly mismatched melee brawls without any concern of getting infected?

The official version is that they are so good that they manage to survive without being infected. There were only two times in the series when the protagonist was infected: Jill in RE3 (she received a vaccine from Carlos; but the virus and vaccine leftovers in her body led to Wesker experimenting on her in RE5) and Leon in RE4 (the parasite was killed by that laser near the end of the game).

Wow, I am really excited for this now. Only played a little bit of Resident Evil 4 and didn't much care for the awful controls but this game looks really fun and much smoother to play.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
You also shoot guns like L4D, and you can melee like L4D. The main characters even have hair like the protagonists in L4D!

I laughed bro, I truly did. People and their conclusion drawing...

Left 4 Dead also has Zombies, let's not forget! ;)

Roundhouse kicking zombies a bit ridiculous

The premise of zombies is a bit ridiculous. ._. Your point?

We don't play games that mirror reality most of the time.

hypernima

Banned
Dude, it's a video game about zombies. Suspend your disbelief for a moment, and just pretend that special trained agents have martial arts training. It's not like any ridiculous stuff happened in the old RE games.

Special Agents DO have martial arts training though. And the thing it shouldn't be horribly hard to kick an emaciated zombie around if you're Leon or Chris, special agents with years of experience against these types of foes.

Xpliskin

In time, Re6 will grow on everyone and will be hailed as the best entry evar evar.
Everyone will be happy and the franchise will be as top as it always was.

And in before jill and claire show up in famitsu scans.

Beth Cyra

Special Agents DO have martial arts training though. And the thing it shouldn't be horribly hard to kick an emaciated zombie around if you're Leon or Chris, special agents with years of experience against these types of foes.

Given all the training that Chris and Leon would have from the Air Force/STARS/Anti Terrorist and Police/Secret Service it would be odd if the only way they could defend themselves was with a gun.

Granted one could argue that they could possibly be scared of being infected, but in no way should it be shocking given the character stories from Chris and Leon that they couldn't fuck up almost anything that comes in front of them with all sorts of Melee combat.

Vrakanox

Guys, guys. Calm down. I simply meant. If you were going to roundhouse kick a zombie there is a chance it may grab your leg and bite it and you would become infected. Its safer to fight a zombie with a ranged weapon instead of trying to punch or kick it. It was not my intention to offend the RE fan-base with that comment lol.

Guys, guys. Calm down. I simply meant. If you were going to roundhouse kick a zombie there is a chance it may grab your leg and bite it and you would become infected. Its safer to fight a zombie with a ranged weapon instead of trying to punch or kick it. It was not my intention to offend the RE fan-base with that comment lol.

Would zombies have fast enough reactions to grab a kick?

I agree 100%, suplex and neck-breaking is much safer.

I know. I was being sarcastic.

so1337

fun leon is dead. he's sharing a grave with rockman.
No! He will return. And it will be glorious.
Wow, I am really excited for this now. Only played a little bit of Resident Evil 4 and didn't much care for the awful controls but this game looks really fun and much smoother to play.
untitled-74q10kk.gif

Beth Cyra

Well even in that context, we hear in the trailer how many people are in that city and could be infected. Regardless if Leon is an excellent marks man like Chris, unless he has enough rounds on him to take out what ever comes his way, dropping a slow moving beast with a quick blow to the head is something that would be good for him so he has ammo encase he needs it later.

That and these two men are pretty much super men at this point, it would be even more odd to see them not doing these kinda things.

I just want to know if Chris is going to have his huge punch again. I just hope they don't fuck it up, if he sends you flying five feet I want heads to explode god damn it.

RE5 features a guy punching a boulder.

There's no place for common sense in RE, also Leon is so awesome that zombies are marveled to his awesomness so they can't react when they receive a roundhouse kick.

Raziel

i agree except for the roundhouse kicking zombies is a bit ridiculous.
agreed, everything in that gif looks like a welcome return to form except for the roundhouse kick. the "horror" of zombie-infested streets is seriously diminished when i see the kick and am reminded ill still be able to execute all of them RE4 style.

Dennis

Banned
Look, I realize RE5 is not as good as RE4 so it certainly will always live in that shadow.......but the game is very, very good, just not an instant classic like Re4

def sim

Leon also suplexes zombies, btw.

Look, I realize RE5 is not as good as RE4 so it certainly will always live in that shadow.......but the game is very, very good, just not an instant classic like Re4

It being so similar with co-op forced were the main criticisms so, yeah, I have a hard time believing anyone who has enjoyed 4 would consider 5 shit. Other than being hyperbolic because it's the internet, I suppose.

Vrakanox

agreed, everything in that gif looks like a welcome return to form except for the roundhouse kick. the "horror" of zombie-infested streets is seriously diminished when i see the kick and am reminded ill still be able to execute all of them RE4 style.

Right. I guess I still think of Leon as the rookie cop and Chris as a young soldier and not so much them as super heroes.

Lost in Nightmares was pretty meh. Very very boring. I actually played that in co-op lol. The other DLC was far better.

RE5 isn't a great game and it has tons of problems. Somehow though I've played it a lot this gen. So yes it is pretty fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I agree that LiN is good.

But I try to pick a level that I want to replay and they all just suck.

Chs 1 and 2 are the only good levels. Ch 3 is shitboring boat level. Ch 4 is cave level with awful puzzles and awful shit. Ch 5 sterile, uninteresting environment. Ch 6 boat level with too much shit.

Game just feels like it's 40 min long

I agree that LiN is good.

But I try to pick a level that I want to replay and they all just suck.

Chs 1 and 2 are the only good levels. Ch 3 is shitboring boat level. Ch 4 is cave level with awful puzzles and awful shit. Ch 5 sterile, uninteresting environment. Ch 6 boat level with too much shit.

Game just feels like it's 40 min long

Even on a basic level RE5 fails. Everything is a chore

It's not fun shooting in RE5

It's not fun collecting treasures, and it's not selling it either

It's not fun upgrading the weapons

With LiN I can see the true potential of co-op + horror + action

Resident Evil 5 is awesome. I must add, that I have never played it alone.

I've pretty much only played it alone and *confession time* the aI isn't even that bad. It really never fealt like I was babysitting her. I rather it not be co-op, but that's because co-op effects the game in other areas.

It's not fun shooting in RE5? What's the difference?

Chinner

Banned
re5 was okay i guess, but it just felt like they were forcing you from one battle to another. felt really fast and forced (and i suppose it is, can complete it in like 3 hours) without any exploration or lulls to let you catch a breath and build general atmosphere. its just like a straight to dvd film that tries to capitalise on the success of the original without understanding what made it good.

Mudkips

Banned
Did you not play RE2? She was the little girl in RE2 that was with Leon and Claire. William Berkin's daughter.

I assume you didn't play RE2? Shame on you man.

I played RE2. Barely remember the girl beyond being an annoyance.

There were 4 main protagonists in the entire game(Leon, Ada, Claire and Sherry). You even briefly play as Sherry. The entire 2nd half of the game's plot is entirely about Sherry. Most of the game is about Sherry and her family. I can understand maybe not recognixing the name but the character itself was the center point for most of the game.

RE2 had a plot?

Anth0ny

Taking a game (RE4) and making literally every aspect of it worse (RE5) is going to get some tough criticism.

Not sure if I'd call it very, very good. It's average.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Even on a basic level RE5 fails. Everything is a chore

It's not fun shooting in RE5

It's not fun collecting treasures, and it's not selling it either

It's not fun upgrading the weapons

With LiN I can see the true potential of co-op + horror + action

Did you not like Resident Evil 4? You are a heretic, sir.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
And that's one of the geniuses of RE4 - everything was fun! It was actually important to collect treasures and it actually felt nice to upgrade your weapons

Resident Evil 4 is better, unquestionably, but this is just silly. Upgrading the weapons being more fun? C'mon, son.

benzy

That roundhouse kick is damn awesome. Not to mention gameplay-wise it helps conserve ammo while allowing you to open up space without resorting to running away every single time.

Top Bottom