• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wonder how the Los Jilluminados will react when they discover Jill is probably not in this game.

If Jill doesn't make an appearance in RE6... all the more likely she'll be a lead in RE7.

Next gen Jill Valentine? Yep. Take my money.

But she should be a merc in RE6, at least. That is disappointing.

Johncena.gif

Haha great gif

Mr_Zombie

I'm so sick of Jill.

;_;

I can deal with her being in Mercs but god NOT ANOTHER GAME

The series really needs a new cast of characters. Chris, Jill, Leon and Cl... no, she's gone now. So Chris, Jill and Leon are really overdone now. Especially since in the last few years we had: three games starring Chris (including RE6), two games starring Jill, and two movies and one game starring Leon. While the time jump between CVX and RE4/RE5 served those characters well, right now it's hard to think how can they develop further.

Bladenic

The series really needs a new cast of characters. Chris, Jill, Leon and Cl... no, she's gone now. So Chris, Jill and Leon are really overdone now. Especially since in the last few years we had: three games starring Chris (including RE6), two games starring Jill, and two movies and one game starring Leon. While the time jump between CVX and RE4/RE5 served those characters well, right now it's hard to think how can they develop further.

What we need is to know the fates of Billy, Rebecca, Barry, and even Claire. So annoying that they passed up this chance to give us a game with all the characters from previous games, and give them a fitting send off before maybe giving us a new cast next game. Shame.

Evolved1

How about... Jill gets the next campaign. But there's an Outbreak MP mode where you create random survivors.

mWGWs.gif

These are easily the most complicated controls I've seen in an RE game.
And that's on top of seemingly more inconsistent context-sensitive close combat maneuvers.

As far as RE cast is concerned, they need more varied ethnicity and skin-color representation. White people being the sole saviors of humanity is tired even if a massive chunk of the userbase is comprised of them. I mean, where's the token black guy or even a Japanese hero?

Sheva, Josh, Sherry, Jake, Piers and Helena?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been thinking about the possibility of RE6 getting terrible review scores, and I'm starting to think it might not be the worst thing for the series. We all know the series is going more towards shooter territory and I don't think anyone would be against going back to a more survival-horror theme, so maybe bad reviews for the last RE game of this console generation would be a big signal to Capcom to rethink the direction of the series.

RE is Capcom's biggest franchise by sales, and they will obviously put a lot of work into their next gen iteration of RE. I'm just wondering if people yelling at them for going so far away from what makes RE RE would be enough to get them to change course.

Of course at the end of the day I imagine it would all come down to sales, and if RE6 sells more than RE5, then we're probably on this path for good.

So I've been thinking about the possibility of RE6 getting terrible review scores, and I'm starting to think it might not be the worst thing for the series. We all know the series is going more towards shooter territory and I don't think anyone would be against going back to a more survival-horror theme, so maybe bad reviews for the last RE game of this console generation would be a big signal to Capcom to rethink the direction of the series.

RE is Capcom's biggest franchise by sales, and they will obviously put a lot of work into their next gen iteration of RE. I'm just wondering if people yelling at them for going so far away from what makes RE RE would be enough to get them to change course.

Of course at the end of the day I imagine it would all come down to sales, and if RE6 sells more than RE5, then we're probably on this path for good.
I doubt capcom cares since orc apparently sold well and look at that.

Evolved1

Jill got Revelaitons. Resident Evil 7 is Claire campaign. It has to. Add Rebbeca if you want, Jill can join too.

I would be ok with Claire. She got totally dicked over in Degeneration. So they owe her.

Claire, Becca, and Jill would be a strong cast. That would be great actually.

Gbraga

ErikB spent all that time talking about learning to play the game and annoying the hell out of people, and now he says that the game should reward you for staying in cover? How ironic is that?

Playing this game right has everything to do with mastering the melee and movement options, in my best runs on the demo I didn't used cover even once. There is a lot of depth in this game's combat, but cover definitely isn't on that list.

gconsole

I doubt capcom cares since orc apparently sold well and look at that.

ORC is a quick money. I don't think ORC2 will sale that well. And we know 2 millions is not enough.

If RE6 sell more than 5-6 millions then it's very convincing that we will get RE7 in the same form. If not then outsource to western studio for reboot LOL

Teknoman

And that's on top of seemingly more inconsistent context-sensitive close combat maneuvers.

As far as RE cast is concerned, they need more varied ethnicity and skin-color representation. White people being the sole saviors of humanity is tired even if a massive chunk of the userbase is comprised of them. I mean, where's the token black guy or even a Japanese hero?

Sheva, Josh, Sherry, Jake, Piers and Helena?

Well Sheva is an actual BSAA agent, so I guess it's possible she'll show up later. Then again, the series does have to end at some point...or have some sort of reboot.

Wasnt there an interview awhile ago saying that RE6 was supposed to be a reboot of sorts?

Mr_Zombie

Hippy tree hugger working for some flop environmental company for the rest of her life?

That's a more realistic conclusion to her story than to become another agent or soldier. Leon was a cop. Chris and Jill were in special units. Sherry has been under governments' control for half her life.
Claire was just a college girl (although after what she did in RECVX intro it's hard to believe that). She's still fighting with B.O.W.s, only with non lethal methods.

Well Sheva is an actual BSAA agent, so I guess it's possible she'll show up later. Then again, the series does have to end at some point...or have some sort of reboot.

Wasnt there an interview awhile ago saying that RE6 was supposed to be a reboot of sorts?

Yeah, no Sheva or Josh in a bit glaring since they didn't die off, or anything. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a reboot in the form of a game version of the movie characters and version of the universe given its popularity.

Official PS mag UK gave it 7/10, you can add it to the op if you like.

The game just about averages out to the good through volume and variety. The frustrating thing is that with a bit of judicious trimming, this could have been a smaller, tighter and significantly better game.

Teknoman

Hopefully it isnt one of those games that outstays its welcome. Of course no one said that someone has to play all 3+ campaigns in immediate succession.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If RE6 sell more than 5-6 millions then it's very convincing that we will get RE7 in the same form. If not then outsource to western studio for reboot LOL

Capcom would never outsource RE to a Western studio, or any other studio for that matter. This is their lifeblood, their highest selling and highest profile game, which is popular both in Japan AND in the West. You can count those types of franchises on one hand. Therefore they are never taking this series out-of-house, and will continue to guard it with their lives.

Capcom would never outsource RE to a Western studio, or any other studio for that matter.

They already did with ORC. It's not even close to guaranteed that mainline series development would stay in Japan, though I'm sure they'll control it as tightly as they did with Dead Rising. This is their most expensive production ever and, as such, the risks may necessitate the handing off of the series to someone who may fit in better with the global market and their tastes. I'm not advocating for it, but I don't see how they could screw up any more than they seemed to have with this new one.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
They already did with ORC. It's not even close to guaranteed that mainline series development would stay in Japan, though I'm sure they'll control it as tightly as they did with Dead Rising.

ORC is not a mainline entry. They would never outsource a mainline entry is what I was trying to say.

Eidan

Capcom would never outsource RE to a Western studio, or any other studio for that matter. This is their lifeblood, their highest selling and highest profile game, which is popular both in Japan AND in the West. You can count those types of franchises on one hand. Therefore they are never taking this series out-of-house, and will continue to guard it with their lives.

That makes me wonder. If Capcom did outsource Resident Evil, what major active franchises would it still be producing in-house?

Teknoman

That makes me wonder. If Capcom did outsource Resident Evil, what major active franchises would it still be producing in-house?

I would say they need to invent a new franchise...but they already squandered away Lost Planet's potential. I dont know if I want them to chance an Onimusha revival. Ghouls and Goblins will probably stay buried, along with Strider.

Riposte

I want to read a full review already. I don't quite trust it when a reviewer asks for a game to be "tighter". Any implication that the bad spots in this game might be too difficult? That would get me excited.

This is the direction RE should've gone this gen instead of Michael Bay. A segmented open-world, basically RE3 without all the load screens.

By invoking Michael Bay we've found something even lazier than calling it Call of Duty. At least with CoD we are comparing videogame entities lol.

ErikB

Banned
ErikB spent all that time talking about learning to play the game and annoying the hell out of people, and now he says that the game should reward you for staying in cover? How ironic is that?

In the mercenaries video they were not really using the sliding, the knife or the dodge rolls either. I think it might be interesting to work through them. So you get a variation bonus for using all your weapons in as many ways as are available.

And the cover system is pretty good! I know I go on about the slide but it is cool if you like that sort of thing. It seems a shame not to use it.

We all know the series is going more towards shooter territory and I don't think anyone would be against going back to a more survival-horror theme,

I dunno. What are we talking about here? I like that the characters are S.T.A.R.S. Officers, Secret Service dudes and BSAA Counterbioterror Operators. And evil mercenaries like HUNK. I don't want to play some regular dude in a zombie outbreak. Amnesia is a game I haven't bought.

And I like to have enough machine gun ammo that I can regularly rip a long burst in to a zombie.

So, I dunno. Exploration and puzzles I'd be fine with, but games that are... Work I am not really interested in.

Teknoman

In the mercenaries video they were not really using the sliding, the knife or the dodge rolls either. I think it might be interesting to work through them. So you get a variation bonus for using all your weapons in as many ways as are available.

And the cover system is pretty good! I know I go on about the slide but it is cool if you like that sort of thing. It seems a shame not to use it.

I dunno. What are we talking about here? I like that the characters are S.T.A.R.S. Officers, Secret Service dudes and BSAA Counterbioterror Operators. And evil mercenaries like HUNK. I don't want to play some regular dude in a zombie outbreak. Amnesia is a game I haven't bought.

And I like to have enough machine gun ammo that I can regularly rip a long burst in to a zombie.

So, I dunno. Exploration and puzzles I'd be fine with, but games that are... Work I am not really interested in.

Hey now, HUNK isnt an evil merc. He's just a security agent who is really good at what he does. Pretty sure he's salaried :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

"Work"? What are you talking about? Have you played the old RE games? They were hardly "action" games but they never felt like work either; they are eminently replayable even in this day and age.

It would certainly mean more thought going into their strategy and the games.
Bad reviews might lead to a Revelations 2 in order to seek to show they can still offer those kinds of games.

Then RE7 should be a mostly single lead game, possibly making with a second campaign like RE6 but that one can be two co-op characters.

Teknoman

I went cross-eyed the first time I saw that. And since I chose the Chris segment first, it was a recipe for disaster.

It looks complicated, but in practice its really not. I felt the same way when looking at the screen, but when you're playing...its fairly standard as far as remembering what button does what.

Eidan

It looks complicated, but in practice its really not. I felt the same way when looking at the screen, but when you're playing...its fairly standard as far as remembering what button does what.

I've gotten the hang of the controls for the most part, but there's still no question that you can't describe these controls as "simple".

Teknoman

Why not? I've seen the scenarios the game throws at you and they would seamlessly fit into the latest Transformers movie.

I dunno about all that. Resident Evil has tried to create these scenarios for awhile now through its cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqOi3SEeN-o

Its not like its all explosions and meaningless dialogue mixed with a few straight forward plot revelations all the time.

Actually the same thing has happened with Final Fantasy...for better or worse. I'm sure there is a better way to integrate what they've always aimed for in cutscenes though.

I've gotten the hang of the controls for the most part, but there's still no question that you can't describe these controls as "simple".

It is certainly more complicated than past games.

Riposte

"Work"? What are you talking about? Have you played the old RE games? They were hardly "action" games but they never felt like work either; they are eminently replayable even in this day and age.

They were action games, if nothing else. With 2 and on it is hard to argue against the "action" focus taking hold. Blame Kamiya if you'd like.

It would certainly mean more thought going into their strategy and the games.
Bad reviews might lead to a Revelations 2 in order to seek to show they can still offer those kinds of games.

Then RE7 should be a mostly single lead game, possibly making with a second campaign like RE6 but that one can be two co-op characters.

Revelations is simply more of the style of game introduced to us by RE4 and RE5 (the biggest change being addition of dodging, an action element).

Why not? I've seen the scenarios the game throws at you and they would seamlessly fit into the latest Transformers movie.

Like this means anything at all. (To repeat myself, this is so lazy.)

Top Bottom