• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Capcom wanted Dogma to sell like Skyrim. It was the one of the reasons it got made to begin with.

How is that possible when it only launched like 6 months after Skyrim came out?! Unless you mean Oblivion which still did very respectable numbers?

Is exclusives hurting Capcom?

I honestly can't think of any 'Triple-A' exclusives that have benefited from being exclusive or timed exclusive this generation... Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Street Fighter V, Dead Rising 4. Am I missing any who seemed to benefit from the exclusivity?

It was their most expensive production EVER and it showed.

Will we ever see that kind of ambition again from Capcom? :(

I thought that was Resi 6?

But all of those people who said they would play a Dead Rising game now that it appealed to them should've made up for the loss of genuine fans of the series...

I don't think I've ever seen someone react positively to DR4's dumbing down. I have to question who they playtested.

Man, didn't they want 2 million in the first 3 months or so?

It's a shame they rushed the game out for EVO, because with the added content another 6 months would have brought would have ensured it reviewed a lot better and thus presumably sold better.

If it retains the same co-op formula, it won't. Don't worry.

So if that's the magic cure-all, how did Resident Evil: Revelations 2 do then?!

The solution to RE dilemma.

Make first person survival horror spin-off
Go back to action RE with co-op for mainline game
Release REmake 2 for original fans and then REMake 3

This way, everyone stays happy.

Can't disagree with this.

Axass

Holy cow, how can you be unhappy about 3,7 millions? That's why the AAA part of the industry is slowly but surely collapsing: inflated budgets + unrealistic expectations.

kAmui-

You have to wonder how much Resident Evil 7 sales were hurt by putting out a misrepresentative demo and not putting much effort into the PC version.

How was the demo misrepresentative? Did people not like the demo? Because if anything, the demo made me way more excited for the game. Before playing it I was quite sceptical of the game.

How is that possible when it only launched like 6 months after Skyrim came out?! Unless you mean Oblivion which still did very respectable numbers?

So apparently the game was in development since 2008 so Skyrim had no influence on it and it was mainly a passion project from Itsuno, but, Capcom probably looked at the sales of Skyrim when they were close to releasing it and thought they can ride that wave of western RPG success. Just my guess.

Exactly - they're taking the piss!

Either that or bullshit and its a bit of reverse psychology in that they are appealing to those RE fans who haven't purchased RE7 yet in the hope it forces them to buy now to ensure the series continues....stupid I know!

edit:mad: Stiler.

See it looks like what I'm saying is working. Don't you think 3.5 million copies sold is good? It's also only been out 3 months+.

RE5 sold 5 million in 2 months.
RE6 did 2 million first week...
and yet they did a soft reboot with 7 despite those numbers(was Capcom's #4 all time)

pa22word

Get fucked capcom. You deserve every bit of that L for the way you handled dr4's disgustingly patronizing marketing campaign plus the shit game itself. The chopped off overtime mode as dlc was the Fuck You on top of the shitstack mountain that was the game "dead rising" 4.

I'd rather have no more dead rising than more dead rising 4, honestly. If that's the best capcom can do they need to give it up and try something else. Microsoft in their hunt for their own zombie game does sorta dead rising in an open world better than capcom can even coherently come up with themselves apparently anyways. State of decay 2 will scratch enough of that dead rising itch that capcom giving up on their own abortive attempts at the genre that absolutely zero tears will be felled from my eyes at them throwing in the towel.

The most asinine thing around dead rising 4 is that they couldn't even follow up on the surprisingly competent zombie musou formula they built up in dead rising 3. Half the content, much shorter game, no side missions at all, zero boss fights, and no fucking coop?! Are you fucking shitting me capcom?
Truly, the series is dead and no one but capcom can be blamed for it. Good riddance.

Akiller

In other words, not RESIDENT EVIL.

image.php

Ahasverus

No more FPS RE with faceless protagonist. Give us another pure survival horror 3rd person game and we'll see.

Still bought 7 though.

Bergerac

I have that image as an avatar becauae it's harkening to the PAL box cover. I like the image. It's not a statement about the game. Avatar quote misfire.

You don't get to be the arbiter of what is and isn't Resident Evil.

Resident Evil has a specific rule set.

Otherwise any old board game is 'Chess'.

Third person Co-Op over the shoulder QTE melee action is just any third person shooter.

So have I decided what 'is' Resident Evil? Or did the earlier games do that, in contrast with the absolute lack of identity of say, RE6?

I'm curious about Monster Hunter's expectations, 1.7 million for an expanded version of a game that was sold the other year and is only out in Japan doesn't seem too dreadful.

Can't say I'm sad about the RE7 sales. Now please go back to classic RE, especially like RE Remake.
I wouldn't even mind the 4-6 formula. As long as it has the old characters and it is third person.

Glad not everyone feels the same! Although I'd be happy to play that type too :)

Classic RE would sell even worse, there's no chance

Yeah but if they budget accordingly then it could work. Personally very happy with the new direction of RE. I only hope they now look to improve on that.

It's my second favorite series but I will never understand people's obsession with those generic ass characters

I think there's still a place for them and can even be improved upon. Problem we have is what an improvement is to someone, isn't always an improvement to someone else. They can't win I suppose.

No need to be a spin off. I also think just REmakes 2 & 3 isn't enough for your solution. They would need newer games akin to that style for it to be the solution imo.

Holy cow, how can you be unhappy about 3,7 millions? That's why the AAA part of the industry is slowly but surely collapsing: inflated budgets + unrealistic expectations.

Yep agreed.

In other words, not RESIDENT EVIL.

You don't get to be the arbiter of what is and isn't Resident Evil.

Surely his response is fine because after all he is merely replying to someone who suggested the same as to how you are suggesting he/she is.

RE5 sold 5 million in 2 months.
RE6 did 2 million first week...
and yet they did a soft reboot with 7 despite those numbers(was Capcom's #4 all time)

When you look at it like that, it makes me sad for reasons I'm not even going to go in to...

Hesemonni

Banned
Now I'm curious what Dead Rising 4 actually sold. I mean the game kinda deserved to sell like shite, being what it was, but I guess we'll finally say goodbye to the franchise.

yurinka

I think RE7 and DR4 had sales that we could expect from them. Capcom had too high expectations for them, especially when DR4 wasn't released in PS4 and wasn't very good.

To the gaffers complaining about RE7 I'd tell them that in just 2 weeks the game already is Capcom's 12th best selling game ever and by selling 300K in the coming months it will reach the top 10. Which is great news. 300K should be easy to achive because most games have a launch bump in sales during the first 2 months and as explained by others the RE games have long legs. I bet that after its lifetime it will end in the top 5 or top 6.

Nice to see SFV slowly continues selling. Let's hope it gets another extra boost the next year/quarted. Its sales may be lower than usual, but considering its strong DLC part I assume their overal revenue should be ok.

I wonder if RE 7 could have done better on PC if VR wasn't PS exclusive.
PC VR market is too small, and most PC users wait for sales. PC VR wasn't a big deal for the game launch.

oti

Banned
I think RE7 and DR4 had sales that we could expect from them. Capcom had too high expectations for them, especially when DR4 wasn't released in PS4 and wasn't very good.

DR4 hit half price after two weeks or something. No idea what they were thinking.

Kouriozan

Monster Hunter underperform, it finally happened.
Capcom did say they want to reach a bigger audience with this IP, so I highly doubt the next one will be exclusive.

pa22word

Now I'm curious what Dead Rising 4 actually sold. I mean the game kinda deserved to sell like shite, being what it was, but I guess we'll finally say goodbye to the franchise.

Pretty sure I read somewhere it was >600k around the time in launched on steam, and that was after Capcom was fireselling it for half price all over the place weeks after launch. It totally bombed on steam too, pretty sure it's at less than 30k atm lol

Bergerac

But hey, an FPS with not one zombie in sight is Resident Evil.

lol

Probably because RE7 has the elements that ACTUALLY constitute an RE game.

Backtracking
Limited ammo
Key items
Locked in location
Transferring item box
De-emphasising melee and encouraging avoidance
Manual saves

You know... the same rules that made 1-3?

Let me guess, RE is just zombies and Chris/Jill shipping?

Perspective and controls are fluid. They do not change the objective.

Hesemonni

Banned
Pretty sure I read somewhere it was >600k around the time in launched on steam, and that was after Capcom was fireselling it for half price all over the place weeks after launch. It totally bombed on steam too, pretty sure it's at less than 30k atm lol
Ouch. Goodbye Frank :/

kc44135

Personally, I think RE7 being a failure has a lot to do with it's awful marketing, if you can even call it that. They kept so much under wraps to the point that people didn't really understand what they were getting. Further adding to the confusion, they released a "demo" that was a glorified walking simulator, and released trailers like this... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDS8tUtTDM

Personally, all of that combined with the perspective shift convinced me we were just getting an Outlast ripoff, not an RE game. I pretty much never wanted to touch it. I ultimately did because of my love for the franchise, and I'm certainly glad I did, but I feel like Capcom did everything they could to turn me off from the game. Hopefully, this style can continue through spin-offs or something, as the main series seems to be headed back to action.

This.

Action/Co-op RE need the scale and budget of the mainline.
RE7 type especially works as a side game
REmake are the rare alternative(Remake 2 then 3 then potentially Outbreak).

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1265766

Those who reacted positively to the changes probably never intended to play it. That's why you have low sales. They catered to a crowd that didn't even show up lol

I showed up. The problem wasn't really the changes. It was more that they didn't really add anything to accommodate it. It's just boring. Not to mention out of the 7 chapters, only 2 of them are in the mall. Most of the game took place outside which was way too open for the limited traversal Frank has.

Shredderi

Maybe they knew that RE7 had a big chance of not doing as well as they would like, but decided to see if taking a goodwill route by making an actual horror game and making it a quality title (which it is) would result in fans rewarding them for it by flocking to the game. This propably didn't come as a surprise but more as an "ok, so now we know, doing straight horror again and doing it right ain't gonna do it but at least we tried, now back to the shootybang style because that WILL sell more".

spekkeh

Banned
Dunno, 3.5 million sounds really good for a niche genre like horror. They were never going to do RE5 numbers with the direction they took it in. I bought quite a lot of RE's, but have no interest in 7. Given how mainstream my tastes usually are, I think there are quite a few of me.

Dead Rising is concerning though. It's understandable given the quality on offer, but it could also spell a tailing off for Xbox one. The number of selling exclusives is slimming by the minute.

pa22word

I showed up. The problem wasn't really the changes. It was more that they didn't really add anything to accommodate it. It's just boring. Not to mention out of the 7 chapters, only 2 of them are in the mall. Most of the game took place outside which was way too open for the limited traversal Frank has.

Not to mention the utter lack of anything at all to do in the environment. You can grind the safehouses, but why? Nothing they give you is compelling and all the content there is randomized bullshit designed to do nothing more than have you spin the games wheels for a few more days before trading it in. Also loads and loads of dumb, pointless collectibles. Yay, that totally made up for the less than half combo weapons from Dead rising 3 capcom.

For all the emphasis they tried to place on letting you go anywhere and do anything the game might as well be linear. It's not really that they removed the timer that absolutely drives me nuts, it's that they removed it and...did nothing else with the space removing it would entail mechanically. There's less side content here overall than any other dead rising game despite the lack of timer. It's a truly mind-boggling game that feels more than any other like a game that needed at least a year more in the oven because the stank of "fuck it, we go gold in a week cut cut cut CUT!!!" reeks off of essentially every aspect of the game.

Honestly the start of the year was SO packed with games that almost any other year I could see RE7 hitting 4 million.

Dead Rising 4 is no surprise and hopefully it's sales send a signal to Capcom.

BadWolf

Probably because RE7 has the elements that ACTUALLY constitute an RE game.

Backtracking
Limited ammo
Key items
Locked in location
Transferring item box
De-emphasising melee and encouraging avoidance
Manual saves

You know... the same rules that made 1-3?

Let me guess, RE is just zombies and Chris/Jill shipping?

Perspective and controls are fluid. They do not change the objective.

No, that's just your idea of RE.

The point is that they are all RE.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Not surprised at DR4. Have a few friends that were longtime fans of the series skip this one because even as mostly casual gamers they didnt appreciate the changes they made to the formula.

Can't really call them changes if they were complete removals of core mechanics without any real replacements. It's a lesser game in every sense.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's so funny. I loved RE7 and thought it was a quality title, but I definitely remember reading tons of people going, "OMG its definitely going to meet expectations!!!" based on first month sales. I mean, great. They "lowered the budget" based on evidence from le arse. They also turned their blockbuster franchise into 50% of what it was. Great.

Top Bottom