• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

myco666

The Black Ops games are the highest selling COD games yet people want to go back to WWII and they're getting it. Capcom needs to choose: sales or overwhelming positive reception from RE7? The sooner they accept that they'll never surpass RE5 the better they can realize to control their insane expectations.

Is the reception of RE7 overwhelmingly positive compared to RE5 though? I don't think so.

How much did The Evil Within sell?

I don't think Bethesda ever gave actual numbers but they said the sales were good enough to warrant a sequel.

I can easily go back to ignoring the main RE series, but I hope this doesn't guarantee that the RE2 remake will fail to resemble the original.

eXistor

Maybe don't fuck a franchise over (and its fans) and maybe it will sell more. Crazy idea, I know. Talking about DR4 obviously.

RE7 has solid numbers I think, not sure why they expected more?

Shouldnt have let that terrible studio with 0 knowledge about what makes Dead Rising, make another Dead Rising game.

Curious to know what the remaster of 1 did though.

Oregano

That's so funny. I loved RE7 and thought it was a quality title, but I definitely remember reading tons of people going, "OMG its definitely going to meet expectations!!!" based on first month sales. I mean, great. They "lowered the budget" based on evidence from le arse. They also turned their blockbuster franchise into 50% of what it was. Great.

Yup and the real problem is the fact that the decline is not isolated to just that brand. That hit would be fine if they had other series making up for it.

Akiller

I believe there's a bit of overeaction here, i mean RE7 was profitable(that's what Capcom said about a month after the release) and MHXX is just a cheap expansion, if anything they really lost money with DR4.

BBboy20

As for RE7... all I can say is... FUCK YES. I'm sure those who liked the game are upset or disappointed. That's too bad because when there are conflicting interests we can't all have what we want. Hopefully RE can rise from this stumble to return to the golden age of third person action with exciting boss QTEs and kickass shooting without wasting effort on things like horror. The only horror I want to see in RE is the horror on the face of the zombie before it gets its skull crushed in by my boot in a melee kill QTE. :)
eozhyof.gif

Paragon

How was the demo misrepresentative? Did people not like the demo? Because if anything, the demo made me way more excited for the game. Before playing it I was quite sceptical of the game.
The demo was a PT-style thing where you had to play through it repeatedly and do highly specific things that only people with too much free time on their hands were able to figure out, to unlock an item in the full game which wasn't worth it at all.
Thankfully, nothing like that ended up in the final game.

PC VR market is too small, and most PC users wait for sales. PC VR wasn't a big deal for the game launch.
There's at least half a million potential sales if they had released it in VR on PC - and who can say what the knock-on effect of making the VR portion of their game exclusive to PlayStation was.
You don't need to be a VR owner to be annoyed about them screwing over your preferred platform like that.

thefro

That's so funny. I loved RE7 and thought it was a quality title, but I definitely remember reading tons of people going, "OMG its definitely going to meet expectations!!!" based on first month sales. I mean, great. They "lowered the budget" based on evidence from le arse. They also turned their blockbuster franchise into 50% of what it was. Great.

I think inherently when you go from action blockbuster back to "true survival horror" you're going to limit your audience.

I love RE4 but I can't play REMake for more than a few hours before stopping because it isn't fun to me.

entremet

I'm a big RE fan but I skipped RE7 since they kept pimping the VR mode for it. I have no VR headset, so oh well.

Resi 7 in VR was my greatest gaming experience for many a year, I guarantee if they go back to that action crap and QTE shite i wont be buying 8 at all.

Survival horror limits an audience when it's SP, Resi 5/6 were made with Co-op in mind so the audience was wider.

3.5 million is none too shabby considering it's still at full price many places.

Boke1879

Let's wait and see what RE 7 sales st the end of its lifetime.

I feel it'll have a long tail when it's price drops. That said it's smaller team and budget they should be ok with these sales.

Jawmuncher

I have no idea why RE8 is expected to go third person. They won't make radical changes to their engine which they have developed for FPS and VR experience just because they didn't meet expectations. Instead they will likely tone down the scope and keep the budget within their projections instead of scaling up.

RE Engine is more than just FPS and VR. Expect to see it on upcoming games in the future. They've said as much in their presentations. It's basically the new MT framework.

Damn RE6 selling 1 mil as a remaster....Ok maybe they will go back to the TPS design. Also damn SFV only sold 100k more :(

With all of this, they're definitely not gonna ignore it. Even if it's just starting a new sub series.

RE6's barebone remaster sold 1 million. And people say it tained the franchise. Lol.

This is the best part. For a game many people call terrible, a million in sales is crazy. Definitely shows there's quite a lot of fans for that style still even with the reduced price.

Holy hell, RE6 on current gen got to a million. Take that haters.

RE5 port shouldn't be that far behind.

Im curious how quickly RE5 catches up.

Considering how well the remakes are doing and RE6 failing to meet expectations in an even greater manner, no.

It definitely means action is still on the table for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sooner rather than later.

Jawmuncher and I have similar tastes in the series.

Fuck yes for the return of the third person perspective and suplexes.

Can't wait

This is good news for me as a consumer because there is hope that the company will change and cater more to my taste again. I feel they have lost that touch. Since Dead Rising 3 the series has been dead to me. With this crushing failure may they reflect on their missteps and deliver a new Dead Rising like the first two, one worthy of my interest.

As for RE7... all I can say is... FUCK YES. I'm sure those who liked the game are upset or disappointed. That's too bad because when there are conflicting interests we can't all have what we want. Hopefully RE can rise from this stumble to return to the golden age of third person action with exciting boss QTEs and kickass shooting without wasting effort on things like horror. The only horror I want to see in RE is the horror on the face of the zombie before it gets its skull crushed in by my boot in a melee kill QTE. :)

Bring back Dead Rising 1
Bring back Resident Evil 4
Bring back Onimusha
Bring back Dino Crisis 2

I'm inter step in the presentation tomorrow. I hope they talk about the different styles and their plans going forward.

Jawmuncher gonna be happy.

Hugely so. Because it hammers home to capcom that two different styles is the way to go. Don't put all your eggs in one basket expecting the same sort of sales. My idea situation would be something like COD where the mainline style changes every other game. So RE8 goes back to action and then RE9 goes back to horror and you just keep that going.

Or start doing a better subseries or spinoffs.

So apparently the game was in development since 2008 so Skyrim had no influence on it and it was mainly a passion project from Itsuno, but, Capcom probably looked at the sales of Skyrim when they were close to releasing it and thought they can ride that wave of western RPG success. Just my guess.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I recall being a regular on Eurogamer at the time when Itsuno made these comments, and it was about 6 weeks before launch (a few months after Skyrim had come out and I think weeks after Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning), and I was baffled that if they truly expected to be selling anything close to this number of copies why the hell hadn't an extensive marketing campaign already begun! Presumably he got a bit giddy from Skyrim's sales (which had a massive and excellent marketing campaign) and assumed DD would naturally get the same kind of success.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1265766

Those who reacted positively to the changes probably never intended to play it. That's why you have low sales. They catered to a crowd that didn't even show up lol

I watched the two Crowbcat videos on it earlier, and the way the leads talk about the game is kind of insulting because they constantly reference "what the gamers want" and "streamlining", and it feels like it was made without a vision at all, and merely ticking off a marketing checklist led by focus groups.

It is absolutely impossible to cost more than 6.
6 had 4 separate campaigns each probably comparable to 7's.

I agree that there's no way the game cost more to develop then Resi 6, but do you actually have any idea how it cost compared to one of 6's campaigns or are you just guessing?! Because RE7 used a brand new engine and its detail is obviously a lot higher than Resi 6.

Personally I'm ready to go back to Chris punching huge boulders.

I replayed Resi 5 last year, and I too am ready for a return to the character-driven OTT shlock.

How much did The Evil Within sell?

I'm not sure Beth has ever given sales figures. I would expect around lifetime of ~2 million, but that's based on nothing aside from my own assumptions.

Shouldnt have let that terrible studio with 0 knowledge about what makes Dead Rising, make another Dead Rising game.

Curious to know what the remaster of 1 did though.

The funny thing is that DR2 was actually a really good effort that felt quite a bit like the first. That was my introduction to the series and is probably still my favourite.

wow, that clearly means they'll go back to the style of RE game that was short 3 million copies of their expectations and then still some for the revised expectations back in the day.

fhqwhgads

Once again Capcom sets it's standards way too high and a game can sell millions of copies yet still be considered disappointing. At this rate I won't be surprised if Capcom goes out of business within the next 5 years with their insistence of wanting all of their projects to be massive AAA games and not understanding that not everything needs to be the next Activision/Ubisoft megahit.

Also I can only pray that if Capcom decides to yet again "shake up" the Resident Evil franchise after somehow selling over 3 million copies counts as disappointing, that they understand they can both have shooty mcbangbang style gameplay AND have classic survival horror elements, rather than just pulling the switch all the way into RE6's COD Zombies style and fucking over their long time fans yet again. Literally, they made Resi 4 and they don't seem to understand why people consider it a fantastic game.

Jawmuncher

wow, that clearly means they'll go back to the style of RE game that was short 3 million copies of their expectations and then still some for the revised expectations back in the day.

It definitely means they won't ignore it to some capacity. I don't think anyone is asking for another RE6 sized game. But it's not far-fethched to think that they'll want to do another series focused on action or go back and forth with the mainline.

The big reason for RE7 was the critical reception and the 20th anniversary. But the new sales of RE6 remaster show there's interest in that style as well still. Hell the devleopment team has said as much in their interviews and videos. So I definitely don't see them hunkering down and never making another action game.

Which has always been my position, since too many people feel it has to be one or the other and both can't co-exist.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No surprises there.

RE7 has already been completely overshadowed by other 2017 releases, MHXX means MH5 is way overdue, and Dead Rising 4's release plan was a complete joke.

Anung

Un Rama
Not going to lie Dead Rising 4 failing makes me happy. The patronising bullshit interviews around the game were terrible. I can't remember the last time a game made so many missteps before release.

I agree that there's no way the game cost more to develop then Resi 6, but do you actually have any idea how it cost compared to one of 6's campaigns or are you just guessing?! Because RE7 used a brand new engine and its detail is obviously a lot higher than Resi 6.
Depends how much, but also if Capcom completely attributes that engine to RE7(could have had separate funding for something like REmake 2 or other Capcom games)
All hypothetical honestly

Even if the engine was a money pit 6 had absolutely ridiculous marketing as well compared to 7,
if you go by the Hollywood standard, marketing is one of the most expensive elements.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well hopefully they don't drop the ball on the supposed DMC sequel. I know I'll pick that up day 1 if its good.

That and REmake 2. If its like a high definition old school RE game I'm there Day 1 as well. Gimme what I really want Capcom not shit like Monster Hunter Stories and Dead Rising.

Kazuhira

Re7 numbers aren't that far off but 500k is still a lot of money.
It all depends if Capcom is ok with the profit they made even if sales didn't reach their expectations.
I think that 3.5 million for a single player game is pretty good but they have the final word in the end.
We will see what happens,i can take another action game if it's done right like 4 or 5.

It definitely means they won't ignore it to some capacity. I don't think anyone is asking for another RE6 sized game. But it's not far-fethched to think that they'll want to do another series focused on action or go back and forth with the mainline.

The big reason for RE7 was the critical reception and the 20th anniversary. But the new sales of RE6 remaster show there's interest in that style as well still. Hell the devleopment team has said as much in their interviews and videos. So I definitely don't see them hunkering down and never making another action game.

Which has always been my position, since too many people feel it has to be one or the other and both can't co-exist.

So RE6 is slightly above the REØ remaster. Not exactly promising so far, the next results will be more telling.

Jawmuncher

So RE6 is slightly above the REØ remaster. Not exactly promising so far, the next results will be more telling.

REmake and RE0 HD showed that there was still an interest in horror from that audience.

RE6 selling a million, especially after being heralded as killing the franchise and "supposedly" being the worst game in the series. I think shows a lot about how there's still an audience for that style.

So it goes back to what I said. Where I think if anything, this shows capcom that there's room for both styles. The franchise is too big and has been too many things to be only horror or only action.

Not going to lie Dead Rising 4 failing makes me happy. The patronising bullshit interviews around the game were terrible. I can't remember the last time a game made so many missteps before release.

Being an exclusive didn't help matters either. Can't imagine people swarm to pick this up when it hits PS4.

Capcom has some pretty outrageous expectations.

My hot take is for a game in one of the more niche genres(survival horror) that wastaking a radically different direction(A purer survival horror without the dudebro coop stuff) after a much maligned previous entry(RE6), 3.5 million units sold in a quarter is fantastic in a bubble. Even more so when it did that in a quarter loaded with huge well reviewed heavy hitters aimed at the core gaming market (Horizon,Zelda, NieR, Persona 5).

Top Bottom