• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Jawmuncher

You're telling me that GAF made sales predictions that turned out to be not correct?

I think they're talking more about how a lot of people said it was for sure going to pass expectations for capcom.

And Steam, but few people were interested

Yeah Dead Rising was always going to struggle, little surprised at RE7 though.

Dead Rising 4 is the biggest casualty by far. But in a sense it's deserved. It's not a terrible game, but it's so by the numbers and focus tested that you're left with something hardcore fans don't really want and newcomers are just gonna ignore anyways. Also MS should have been pushing way more marketing into it for what was their only other exclusive that season after their big titles.

Mh needs to stop releasing so quickly, I am a huge fan. But I am burnt out. I bought generations, and for the first t8me I left a game still wrapped up. I am waiting for switch version I guess.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Capcom has some pretty outrageous expectations.

My hot take is for a game in one of the more niche genres(survival horror) that wastaking a radically different direction(A purer survival horror without the dudebro coop stuff) after a much maligned previous entry(RE6), 3.5 million units sold in a quarter is fantastic in a bubble. Even more so when it did that in a quarter loaded with huge well reviewed heavy hitters aimed at the core gaming market (Horizon,Zelda, NieR, Persona 5).

I mean RE7 can't have been that maligned. It sold almost a 3rd of what RE7 has on current gen consoles alone.

Xbox one exclusivity claims another victim after Tomb Raider. But while TR was likely signed before generation started DR4 seems like it's purely Capcom managment stupidity.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
3.5m sales isn't too shabby at all, not every game can sell GTA V numbers. Capcom must have had some reaaaaaaally high expectations with RE7.

Jawmuncher

3.5m sales isn't too shabby at all, not every game can sell GTA V numbers. Capcom must have had some reaaaaaaally high expectations with RE7.

It is their number one franchise still. So for it to fail to meet expectations twice in a row is a blow. Especially when 4 million isn't that ludicrous

Bladenic

It was 4 mil on the same time frame. So it missed by 500k. Considering the shift in gameplay it's not crazy to see why they missed the mark/expected too much. But it is RE so dunno.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is their number one franchise still. So for it to fail to meet expectations twice in a row is a blow. Especially when 4 million isn't that ludicrous

It was 4 mil on the same time frame. So it missed by 500k. Considering the shift in gameplay it's not crazy to see why they missed the mark/expected too much. But it is RE so dunno.

i noticed after my post the chart mentioned 4m for RE7. Even still, it's close to the target and is a respectable number. The game is also still selling.

DR4 though .. yeah now that's a bomba, didn't even do half of the expected numbers.

This reminds me of when the Tomb Raider reboot and Hitman Absolution both set new franchise sales records and Squenix complained about low sales numbers. Dead Rising 4 hitting 2 million considering where it launched, and RE7's 3.5 being bad? Come on Capcom.

Ridley327

The percentage that both RE7 and MHXX missed by isn't the end the world, though it's hard not figure out that they likely expected an even stronger performance for RE7 in the west to make up for the sales that they were going to lose in Japan for making it so much more western-focused than previous entries. MHXX is a simple case of failing to recognize new console hype, as there was no earthly reason for it to not have been available on the Switch on the same day, and as it is, I have a hard time believing that any potential Switch port for that game will enjoy the same kind of excitement for it in Japan months down the line than it would have now.

The least surprising news is DR4 bombing. It was a bad product made with bad intentions and was rewarded accordingly.

Considering there are more unannounced projects for the Switch, what chances are there for RE7 to be one of them (MH5 is a gurantee at this point)

Riposte

This was always blown out of proportion, back when far too may people had a jaded ex perspective towards Capcom.

In the same interview, Itsuno says "We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."

He also goes on to say: "We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."

Context was completely ignored for some bitter laughs.

This reminds me of when the Tomb Raider reboot and Hitman Absolution both set new franchise sales records and Squenix complained about low sales numbers. Dead Rising 4 hitting 2 million considering where it launched, and RE7's 3.5 being bad? Come on Capcom.
Dead Rising 4 didn't hit 2M, they were expecting 2M but it hasn't even reached 1M.

H13

just make re 8 like re7 and re revelation 3 as re 4/5/6 as future titles or vice versa , whatever
happy and win/win for both demographics.

Snagret

Mh needs to stop releasing so quickly, I am a huge fan. But I am burnt out. I bought generations, and for the first t8me I left a game still wrapped up. I am waiting for switch version I guess.
Exactly the same for me. It's the only MH game I've played where I just got burnt out by the end of my time with it and couldn't make it beyond halfway through the game.

Give me HD Monster Hunter on a system with an actually comfortable to use controller (the 3DS is death for my large hands) and I'll come back. If they put MH5 on the 3DS again (which seems unlikely, but still) I'm skipping it, no matter how much they add to it. I just can't anymore, Capcom. Oh and, it better actually be MH5, not just an XX port.

Also, really sucks that selling over 3 million copies of a game puts it in the "disappointing sales category". I wonder how expensive it was to develop...

Jawmuncher

just make re 8 like re7 and re revelation 3 as re 4/5/6 as future titles or vice versa , whatever
happy and win/win for both demographics.

I hope think that will be the plan going forward. But I doubt they focus only on Rev. Will probably make new spinoffs or other games as well for both styles.

RE7 did so great, and it had danstic word of mouth. I'm not surprised it sold sell than RE6. That game probably turned a lot of people off to the franchise. Dead Rising 4 will do the same, since it's equal levels of trash.

Capcom is just terrible at forecasting; they never get it right. Never.

Jawmuncher

RE7 did so great, and it had danstic word of mouth. I'm not surprised it sold sell than RE6. That game probably turned a lot of people off to the franchise.

Capcom is just terrible at forecasting; they never get it right. Never.

I don't think that's right when the remaster of RE6 just sold 1 million. It definitely didn't tarnish the brand like people think. If anything I'd say RE7 just made it to where only fans of name alone bothered while action fans sat out.

yay, back to the bland action BEST ACKZHUNG EVER WITH SLIDING AND SUPLEXES and QTE mess.

They should split the fanbases with an offshoot for the action bullshit and the survival horror

Riposte

There's a common idea that, as refutation of its appeal, RE6 "tricked" people into buying it and word of mouth went on to kill it. I recently heard it the Easy Allies podcast (pretty good one to listen to imo). The problem with this is that RE6 had great legs (much like RE5). The remasters really highlight this point further.

RE8 going back to bombastic Michael Bay mode on 3, 2, 1...

Are Vanquish, Lost Planet, Binary Domain, etc. also "Michael Bay"?

Few habits worse among gamers than calling shit "Michael Bay" because they don't like it. Totally thoughtless, borderline posturing.

Jawmuncher

yay, back to the bland action BEST ACKZHUNG EVER WITH SLIDING AND SUPLEXES and QTE mess.

They should split the fanbases with an offshoot for the action bullshit and the survival horror

I want to live in a world wher le sliding and suplexes are bland. I can probably count on my hand the action games where you can do both of those things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RE6 has a lot of issues but people act like it's some kind of war crime. A general need to moderate (on everything) on the board is evident.

RE7 is better--at least half of it-- but there's a lot of value in the RE6 package.

It's not like they'd care about western fans, but for me they need a complete overhaul to be interesting again. The series is way too archaic now, which really showed in Generations. The new playstyles were the main selling factor, yet it was way too convoluted to even access them properly. I.e. it was just another thing tacked onto the archaic menus and interfaces that go back to the ps2 game.

Carbonox

Shame it didn't live up to Capcom's expectations but IIRC it still was a "success" from a financial point of view, right? (genuinely asking)

I would like them to continue with the RE7 style for the mainline games given RE7 is the best game Capcom have released in years (from a brand new game perspective, as opposed to re-releases/remasters, etc.). It's probably still my favourite game of the year so far.

Was always going to be a jarring shift for many but I think they can really build up on it for the next one.

Alternative RE games in the style of RE5/RE6 would help cover those bases for the fans of those styles too.

Ahasverus

Over the top action and co-op RE apologizers disgust me. Just play Gears of War or whatever the fuck you want with monsters on it, let RE alone.

Anung

Un Rama
Over the top action and co-op RE apologizers disgust me. Just play Gears of War or whatever the fuck you want with monsters on it, let RE alone.

Because they are the are the exact same game and play is exactly the same. Gears wishes it had combat as good as RE6.

Ahasverus

Because they are the are the exact same game and play is exactly the same. Gears wishes it had combat as good as RE6.
This

PzHCmUo.gif

is what you want? Outrageous really, its more fitting to Dead Rising than Resident Fucking Evil. Which is funny, because they ruined Dead Rising too.

Top Bottom