• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Fury451

Banned
Dead Rising 4 is not surprising at all.

Resident Evil 7 kind of is, if only because it seems like it couldn't have had a ridiculously unreasonable budget to make back or something. Will be interesting to see what lessons Capcom takes.

Anung

Un Rama
This

PzHCmUo.gif

is what you want? Outrageous really, its more fitting to Dead Rising than Resident Fucking Evil. Which is funny, because they ruined Dead Rising too.

RE is many things to many people. I love the old school horror Resi's (RE2 is my favourite game of all time) and I love the OTT third person shooting. Both can coexist. But to dismiss a half the games and fanbase as shit and demanding they go play a game that isn't even in the same ballpark is stupid to me.

Jawmuncher

Over the top action and co-op RE apologizers disgust me. Just play Gears of War or whatever the fuck you want with monsters on it, let RE alone.

This

PzHCmUo.gif

is what you want? Outrageous really, its more fitting to Dead Rising than Resident Fucking Evil. Which is funny, because they ruined Dead Rising too.

You contradict yourself with your second post. You deposit a gif of exactly why RE isn't like gears. There isn't some scary Action RE boogey man trying to take your horror away.

Much like what RE7 gave horror fans, action fans want something as well. I've said it numerous times but there is enough room for the series to be both. Hell it currently is when you see the RE vendetta movie clips which poise it as the sequel to the RE6 style in move form.

Like I get. You don't gotta like RE6 or any of the action games. But it's disengioins to write off people who do. Those fans put time and money into the series like everyone else before it did.

It's capcom who is at fault for offering up such a dicivide in the series. There's no reason to be at each other's throats over it. RE7 was still profitable, horror ain't going anywhere. You might see a new spinoff that plays like RE6, but would that really bother you that much?

It's crazy how a thread title can shape discussion considering they double digit revenue and profit increases.

I mean last year was terrible for them, so I would help things are up regardless.

UglyPony

Well Capcom is no stranger to setting unrealistic sales expectations. So this doesn't surprise me. 2 million for dead rising?

Ahasverus

RE is many things to many people. I love the old school horror Resi's (RE2 is my favourite game of all time) and I love the OTT third person shooting. Both can coexist. But to dismiss a half the games and fanbase as shit and demanding they go play a game that isn't even in the same ballpark is stupid to me.
They can coexist the same way the Final Fantasy series allows for spinoffs but the core series remains faithful to the first game.

tuffy

So MH:Stories as an ongoing franchise is done and MH:XX did its job to buy time. Now the wait for a MH5 announcement begins.

Nothing major to worry about with RE7, it was only slightly down but overall it was very well received and pretty sure it made profit, plus Capcom have already talked about RE8 plans are underway.

Jawmuncher

Well Capcom is no stranger to setting unrealistic sales expectations. So this doesn't surprise me. 2 million for dead rising?

2 million isn't unrealistic looking at the series prior. But not even reaching 1 million speaks volumes for the exclusivity from MS being a shit deal. Especially after DR3

Timmy00

That's a shame about re7 but 3.5 seems alright. It's really one of the best recent RE games, going back to 6 would feel like a downgrade if capcom doesn't learn how to make a good campaign mode of that style.

Not surprised by DR4. Even as a fan of DR, dr4 just didn't interest me.

Its because we want more Dragons Dogma.
Yes pls

GunBR

RE 6 was an action game
RE 7 is a horror game

And they're shocked that the last one sold less (even if it's a better game)?

Dead Rising used to sell really well so naturally the attempt at "expanding the demographic" would have some faith behind it.

But as it turns out, removing from the game what made people enjoy the series made them not want the game, what are the odds!

nOoblet16

I absolutely believe if RE7 was RE6 with a better structure and more coherent design it would have ended up selling a lot more and also would have received critical acclaim. The problem with RE6 was with the way it was structured not gameplay.

This

PzHCmUo.gif

No it's not. Dead Rising is about crazy hilarious weapons that don't make sense.

This is not that, RE was like this longer than it was "survival horror". So what is "Resident Evil" will vary from person to person.

That's a shame about re7 but 3.5 seems alright. It's really one of the best recent RE games, going back to 6 would feel like a downgrade if capcom doesn't learn how to make a good campaign mode of that style.

Not surprised by DR4. Even as a fan of DR, dr4 just didn't interest me.

Yes pls

I'll just settle for a rerelease of DRk Arisen on PS4/XB1 using the PC assets.

Maybe Capcom Vancouver could make a new game now.
The new RE didn't interest me, go back to cheesiness, action, third person coop and we can talk.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Capcom really need to figure out a way to get Monster Hunter on track for world wide releases. This big ass delay from Japan to the rest of the world just doesn't cut it in 2017.

nOoblet16

They can coexist the same way the Final Fantasy series allows for spinoffs but the core series remains faithful to the first game.
Between FFXII, XIII and especially XV...I don't see it.

Being faithful to the first game is not important, especially when the first game was decades ago. For all intent and purpose RE4 like Resident Evil was the mainline Resident Evil with other style being spin offs. You can still have a bit of survival elements even with RE4 style but let's not forget that RE7 is just like any other RE game released in the past 20-15 years where the "survival" aspect goes out the window halfway through the game as you become super powerful.

Anyways RE7 also had massive issues with some designs where you are just fighting stupid molded which don't really do anything about the "horror" aspect of survival horror. The best part about RE7 was the baker residence and the baker's the rest of it was really quite a drop in quality.

If this sends Capcom running back to the over the top third person RE6 style, I'll be heartbroken. REVII in VR is one of the best experiences I have ever had in gaming, I'm dying to see this direction expanded on.

DR4 straight up earned its place though. It took everything people loved from the originals, tossed it in the bin and added nothing to offset the removed features. They played all of their cards wrong.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does this become a forecasting error then? Or did all of these games truly miss the mark?

That Dead Rising estimate is ridiculous.

Like someone posted in an earlier page. Capcom was forecasting Dragon's Dogma to sell 10m. Capcom always has lofty expectations for their game sales.

dlauv

idky people are pretending RE6 was a bigger hit. It missed its mark by a much larger margin and took several months to sell its initial shipment.

yurinka

First-person Resident Evil was a mistake.
Action/Co-op RE need the scale and budget of the mainline.
RE7 type especially works as a side game
REmake are the rare alternative(Remake 2 then 3 then potentially Outbreak).

Back to third person RE please.
There are games made for people with your tastes: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City and Resident Evil Umbrella Corps. Hope you enjoy them.

Please let the fans of the original Resident Evil games enjoy something fresh RE7. Thanks!

Regarding first person and Resident Evil, remember there were other attempts: The Gun Survivor/Dead Aim series or Darkside & Umbrella Chronicles. RE7 isn't the first one.

Jawmuncher

idky people are pretending RE6 was a bigger hit. It missed its mark by a much larger margin and took several months to sell its initial shipment.

Going by the information here it didn't reach its expectations but it didn't do as terribly as people think either. If anything I'd say it's a middle ground between the two.
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentev...nk_capcoms_target_is_4m_sold_and_not_shipped/

Most talk here though is just aimed at the supposed most "hated" entry breaking a million in sales with its rerelease. Definitely shows there's a fanbase for that game and it's style.

There is a game made for people like you: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City. Hope you enjoy it.
Let the fans of the original Resident Evil games enjoy something fresh RE7. Thanks!

That game came out years ago and not even action fans liked it. This is like when RE6 came out telling people to play REmake on the GameCube.

Once again capcom made the divide, so they should be the ones fixing it. Going back and forth on horror and action style games doesn't seem like a stretch nor would it be a bad thing.

I think RE7's demo was piss-weak and misleading to this day despite ending up actually really liking the game. It made me go for the Redbox rental instead of buying it and the only mainline RE I had skipped prior was RE6.

Don't know what did it for others, maybe the stupidity of RE6, but just sharing why I didn't buy it despite it turning out to be a pretty damn good game (way too low on content but still).

Marcel

Considering that Capcom Vancouver decided to make a Dynasty Warriors game and then had serious foot in mouth disease about all the obvious flaws, Dead Rising 4 absolutely deserved to do poorly.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Stop releasing Monster Hunter on an outdated piece of hardware or a single platform and maybe Capcom can have safer bets on how much they expect/want to sell.

I still don't know why they are bothering to bring Monster Hunter Stories to the West when the game majestically bombed in Japan and it's going to do even worse in the West.

I don't like that we're getting Monster Hunter Stories in the West not because I have something against the title but because this pretty much guarantees were not getting Monster Hunter XX in the West until February/March 2018 if we're getting it at all by that point because by than the Switch will be 1 year old and we have a long history of loosing out on localizations just on the simple notion that the "Next Gen" hardware is already released and I fear Monster Hunter XX will be the next Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

george_us

I feel like RE7 selling 3.5 million is a great result considering the tepid at best response to 6. But this is probably why I'm not an accountant.

Ahasverus

Between FFXII, XIII and especially XV...I don't see it.

Being faithful to the first game is not important, especially when the first game was decades ago. For all intent and purpose RE4 like Resident Evil was the mainline Resident Evil with other style being spin offs. You can still have a bit of survival elements even with RE4 style but let's not forget that RE7 is just like any other RE game released in the past 20-15 years where the "survival" aspect goes out the window halfway through the game as you become super powerful.
RE4 was absolutely fine as a RE entry, a natural evolution. It's 5/6 which grind my gears. It's all explosions and AWESOME moments and military style storylines, with bad/pedestrian level design, not to mention the (admitedly charming) soap opera running beneath the whole thing. Co op also killed any remnants of tension. It's just not right.
Looking forward to RE8 going back to something like REmake. Third person, more horror focused, with a sprinkling of action.
Yes please.

jacobeid

Banned
I said in January prior to launch that Capcom wouldn't be happy with the sales.

3.5million is a lot of copies for a dedicated horror game.

I'm guessing that Dead Rising is.....dead.

Jawmuncher

That's what it did and Capcom claims it a success. It will be the 4th best selling original release in the series (and the second best in the horror genre).

Yeah I don't disagree with that. I was just saying as to why they expected it to do 4 million. An expectation of 4 million was pretty fair all things considered, which is what I was trying to get at with that post. They were close after all.

I said in January prior to launch that Capcom wouldn't be happy with the sales.

3.5million is a lot of copies for a dedicated horror game.

I'm guessing that Dead Rising is.....dead.

I think it'll depend on how it sells on PS4, but yeah looks like this might be the last game for quite some time.

Mupod

I'm almost as tired of waiting for Capcom to put MH on something other than the 3DS as I am of all Monster Hunter news threads being mostly complaining about them not doing so.

The Hermit

As i said in the mc thread, they're expecting sales and revenue in the next year to outperform last year. What big upcoming titles do they have?

UFS2 going to make bank

You can count me the fuck in.

The reason I bought a Switch, though I am kinda pissed Nintendo still haven't announced a Dpad joycon.

Timmy00

There are games made for people with your tastes: Resident Evil Operation Racoon City and Resident Evil Umbrella Corps. Hope you enjoy them.
Ew I wouldn't wish those games on my worst enemy. Say what you will about re6 but the gameplay is much better than those.

I'll just settle for a rerelease of DRk Arisen on PS4/XB1 using the PC assets.
60fps and I'd get it day one.
I'd get it day one either way.

Top Bottom