• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 to be released between Oct 1st 2016 and March 31st 2017?

KingBroly

Banned
Franchise fatigue? I think that for the general public RE has been dead or in a coma for years, they don't perceive all those remasters and even REV2 as true entries in the series, no one really care about those.

RE7 will feel fresh as ever if it's done right.

Nothing into everything still causes franchise fatigue because you're putting out so much in such a short amount of time.

Revelations 2 was sold differently from how Revelations 1 was as well, including not hitting the original platform, episodically, and not announcing a new mainline game right after it came out, eating all of its' media attention.

Neff

There's nothing reasonable in speculating that a major game that hasn't even been announced will release within 7 months.

Actually it's pretty reasonable considering the timing, and the fact that pretty much the only game they could tie to word usage like 'full scale offensive' is a big new RE title.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Revelations 2 was a step in the right direction, the only problem I see is if they still want that Call of Duty money when it comes to the AAA Resident Evil games.
I'm more worried about Remake 2 to be honest.

I'm hoping the success of Dark Souls and Bloodborne shows them that they don't need to make the game a QTE-riddled action-fest for success in the west.

I'm actually not as worried about REmake 2, I don't think even they would develop that as an action game (which is my biggest problem with the series).

Actually it's pretty reasonable considering the timing, and the fact that pretty much the only game they could tie to word usage like 'full scale offensive' is a big new RE title.

Exactly, Capcom are always going to developing a new major RE game, and the last one came out in 2012. It is completely realistic to think there will be a new one launched/announced within a year.

Abriael

Banned

That's complete speculation. Capcom has tons of relevant IPs.

Dragon's Dogma, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Sengoku Basara, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Dino Crisis and more, and there's also Deep Down. Incidentally, "Full Scale Offensive" can easily indicate a high number of games, not necessarily a big one. As a matter of fact "full scale" is more likely to indicate that.

Again, there's absolutely no indication that this is about Resident Evil.

Abriael

Banned
Of course it's speculation in regards of the actual substance, but the way it's worded it seems clear to me it's referred to Resident Evil franchise.

The way it's worded indicates nothing about the resident evil franchise, unless you think Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura Den is a Resident Evil Game.

There's a new Animated Resident Evil movie out in 2017, of course there's a new game too. All the animated movies serve as prologues to a game.

fernoca

Wow, they still make those?
Is easy $200 million at the boxoffice. :p

But this one is billed as the final one, hence the 'The Final Chapter' name. It was also planned to be released in 2015 but filming was delayed because Milla was expecting. Then the movie was delayed from Fall 2015, moved to Fall 2016 and then dated for January 2017.

eso76

What i'm reading is
Umbrella corps by march 17 in preparation for the full scale offensive (RE7?) in the second half of the year (2017)

lol, out of the loop. Umbrella corps is releasing shortly. But still "second half" seems to be referring to 2017

Varth

The way it's worded indicates nothing about the resident evil franchise, unless you think Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura Den is a Resident Evil Game.

Dunno. Seems clear to me, given the use of commas and the phrasing, that the part referring to Sengoku Basara ends with "Yumkimura sanada", and the rest is referring to Resident Evil. Could be mistaken of course, and I appreciate caution in your position. It's just pour parler.

Abriael

Banned
Dunno. Seems clear to me, given the use of commas and the phrasing, that the part referring to Sengoku Basara ends with "Yumkimura sanada", and the rest is referring to Resident Evil. Could be mistaken of course, and I appreciate caution in your position. It's just pour parler.

The position of the commas indicate that it's all one sentence (massively run-on sentence, but still), so both Sengoku Basara and Resident Evil Umbrella are in preparation to the "full scale offensive."

Capcom, I knew you'd come through

tumblr_mjt9cfusFz1s797k0o1_500.gif

Bashtee

If they haven't killed Deep Down or what it was called yet, I assume that is going to be the next game. Not so sure about RE7.

Wow, they still make those?
Yes. I remember an article about a staff member being killed during the Production and a stunt double getting hurt so bad, that they had to amputate her arm and other severe wounds and scars.

This better be a good movie.

Aters

Side note: PS4 has more shooters than XB1. That's the "shooter console" now. :)

Who said anything about PS4? There is a strong shooter community on XBOX, and RE7 can easily sell more than 1 million on XBOX. Why would CAPCOM ignore it?

Is easy $200 million at the boxoffice. :p

But this one is billed as the final one, hence the 'The Final Chapter' name. It was also planned to be released in 2015 but filming was delayed because Milla was expecting. Then the movie was delayed from Fall 2015, moved to Fall 2016 and then dated for January 2017.

I think the delay had more to do with a stunt woman having her arm cutoff and a crew member being crushed by a hummer on set....

Jawmuncher

It'll be 2017, unless Sony or MS is going to upfront for marketing costs. Time is running short for them to announce it and still release this year. Even RE6 had about 10 months worth of marketing. E3 reveal at either the MS or Sony conference with a release in February or March would be the best bet.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Also, REs had an history of being announced only when near completion. I remember taking part in 5 and 6 first presentation and they were already basically finished games.

RE5 was announced at X06, 2.5 years before it was released.

edit, X05 even.

PillarEN

Can we just get RE4 NX instead?

As if they won't bring over RE4 to any platform that sells pretty well.
Hell for the NX can Capcom make a "Capcom 5" again? One cancelled game, one sort of decent game with great butt animations, two which get ported soon after and one masterpiece which eventually gets ported for the rest of time.

Kuraudo

Banned
Also, REs had an history of being announced only when near completion. I remember taking part in 5 and 6 first presentation and they were already basically finished games.

RE5 was announced in 2005 when all they had was teaser trailer.

Sure the most recent mainline title was announced relatively close to its release, but that was over four years ago now, which is a pretty long time for Capcom to consider whether that strategy worked then and would still work now.

I do think there is a chance they do decide on the same strategy, but I feel it's necessary to play devil's advocate and point out that a single event nearly half a decade ago doesn't indicate a trend.

Jawmuncher

Sure the most recent mainline title was announced relatively close to its release, but that was over four years ago now, which is a pretty long time for Capcom to consider whether that strategy worked then and would still work now.

I do think there is a chance they do decide on the same strategy, but I feel it's necessary to play devil's advocate and point out that a single event nearly half a decade ago doesn't indicate a trend.

There's apparently been small leaks here and there of development progressing on the game. Remember japan is always way better at holding secrets than western developers.

Skeeter49

At this point I care more for Resi 2 Remake than a Resi 7, though that's mainly because 2 is tied as my favorite Resi game. I hope both blow me away though, 7 going back to it's horror routes is the only way I'll be interested in it. I don't know if I have it in me to survive 2 more Resident Evil disappointments.

#BringbackClaire

Whompa02

If true I hope it's nothing like the past 2 resident evil games.

I want a mystery, puzzles, exploring, and inventory management. Bring back the resident evil that was actually unique. Not this gears of war mixed with luchador wrestling crap.

Sesha

It should be obvious for anyone that's been paying attention that remasters and Umbrella Corps weren't their only game software plans for the 20th anniversary.

RE7 has been in development since at least 2013. They've talked about it multiple times since then. It's pretty clear they're going for the RE6 marketing strategy. They save a lot of money by not having to wheel their games out at trade shows and events for years until release, and it's clear from RE6's sales data that having a short announcement-release does not substantially impact their sales.

If true I hope it's nothing like the past 2 resident evil games.

I want a mystery, puzzles, exploring, and inventory management. Bring back the resident evil that was actually unique. Not this gears of war mixed with luchador wrestling crap.

Expect it to be less CoD like RE6 and more likely inspired by The Last of Us and Tomb Raider. Both have been cited as influential in interviews, and both are the two biggest 3PS sales-wise and therefore likely targets for RE7 to emulate.

Top Bottom