• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 to be released between Oct 1st 2016 and March 31st 2017?

Whompa02

Expect it to be less CoD like RE6 and more likely inspired by The Last of Us and Tomb Raider. Both have been cited as influential in interviews, and both are the two biggest 3PS sales-wise and therefore likely targets for RE7 to emulate.

Ugh...this franchise is "death by committee" the game.

1 - "Seeing how X and Y did, we should make our game like that!"

2 - "but what about the things that made our games unique?"

1 - "trash it. We need to fit in"

Roni

Gold Member
"Full scale offensive"? What are they calling the day the trailer launches, T-Day? Next thing you know they'll be leaking false information about that so they can take us by surprise...

Ugh...this franchise is "death by committee" the game.

1 - "Seeing how X and Y did, we should make our game like that!"

2 - "but what about the things that made our games unique?"

1 - "trash it. We need to fit in"

There is nothing wrong with taking inspirations from other franchises if they can stay faithful to the roots of the series. Rev2 had TLOU inspired mechanics and still managed to be a good RE title.

"Full scale offensive"? What are they calling the day the trailer launches, T-Day? Next thing you know they'll be leaking false information about that so they can take us by surprise...

They'll actually release the T-Virus in a U.S. city to get the hype going for the game.

That's Umbrella Corps.

Having RE4/5 and 2 Remastered along with 7 seems a bit overkill if you ask me.
I don't think we'll see 2 for a little while. Releasing REmake, RE0, and then the "modern" games in order of increasingly quality up until the release of RE7 sounds like a good idea to me. They even had a FF7 style takeout with that trash Umbrella game. Even if you're a little jaded in Capcom's ability to make good mainline RE games anymore, an announcement that RE7 is coming out this year would be great.

That's a pretty solid anniversary celebration, too. And then you have 2 on the way.

Akiller

There is nothing wrong with taking inspirations from other franchises if they can stay faithful to the roots of the series. Rev2 had TLOU inspired mechanics and still managed to be a good RE title.

Tbh i was going to drop Rev2 just because the TLOU inspiration,but that was because it felt done in a cheap way.

Judging from RE6,if they will go full blockbuster again then they should improve QTE,pacing and scripted sections in order to deliver the ultimate japanese Uncharted.

Give me a mainline Jill and Claire adventure. Two separate campaigns that originate from Chris disappearing or leaving a message.

Just in time for NX.
We're going to get an update to this gif, right?
The5thNintendoElement.gif

Jawmuncher

Jake is more than likely coming back. Though I wonder if he'll be a main character, or if the ending of RE6 is to be taken. It'll be a sort of "We need to find jake" story.

Jake is more than likely coming back. Though I wonder if he'll be a main character, or if the ending of RE6 is to be taken. It'll be a sort of "We need to find jake" story.
I thought Jake's character was one of the few bright spots of RE6. He's so schlocky and all of his lines are dumb and his punches everything to death. And they never even gave him the chance to put on sunglasses before doing something super cool! I really hope he's back if they're going super edgy again.

Neff

Sure the most recent mainline title was announced relatively close to its release, but that was over four years ago now, which is a pretty long time for Capcom to consider whether that strategy worked then and would still work now.

Both strategies were equally successful considering the periods they were applied, at least in terms of pure marketing, since RE5 and RE6 are Capcom's two best-selling titles apiece. RE6's 'No Hope Left' viral thing didn't even work out the way it was intended but the game still did extremely well.

Honestly, the RE IP is so strong that they could release RE7 within a few months of an announcement and have it sell millions with ease.

It could be RE7 & DMC5.

I would have zero problem with that.

Some Nobody

I've seen more concrete evidence than this fall through. The only reason I don't ignore this entirely is because RE is one of Capcom's major franchises and I hope they aren't just abandoning the main line.

That, plus RE4-6 all being re-released is to me a giant red flag indicating 7 is coming probably next year and will pop up at E3.

DedValve

Banned
So that "full-scale offensive" could be literally anything, right?

Which is why this thread title needs to be changed. No hint at RE7. Its in development, we all know that. Its coming. We all know that. But as of this date Capcom has yet to say a damn thing about it.

I'm glad Capcom is announcing games closer to release though. Here's hoping whenever RE7 announcement gets dropped the release is < 6 months out.

Tbh i was going to drop Rev2 just because the TLOU inspiration,but that was because it felt done in a cheap way.

Judging from RE6,if they will go full blockbuster again then they should improve QTE,pacing and scripted sections in order to deliver the ultimate japanese Uncharted.
I personally didn't mind it but I can see how it may seem disappointing to others.

I agree that they need to make better, more subtle, inspired mechanics from said games (if they wanna go that route) but I'm not sure if a Japanese Uncharted is what I want to see from the next mainline RE7. I think a Japanese "TLOU meets Outlast/PT " would be a better mix for RE series.

Neff

Whatever it is, it's gonna be co op and aimed at taking advantage of the digital marketspace

Co-op's going nowhere for the main series, despite however many fans claim solo play is important to the series (which of course it is). Co-op is huge draw of RE these days, it's almost synonymous with the franchise at this point.

Still to this day I'm surprised and impressed that they threw in Ada's RE6 campaign as part of the package rather than holding it back for DLC like they clearly did with RE5's Lost in Nightmares.

What if they announced RE7 at E3 & DMC5 at TGS?

This is a note to investors, which means that they are not just talking about announcements but the actual release of these titles within the said period. So, unless DMC5 is practically done and ready to be released within the next 10 months then I don't think this particular quote applies to it.

Ew. We just got Claire and there's too much Jill already!

I've been in and out the franchise and only follow numbered games. Haven't played as Jill since 3 and Claire since 2. Guess I need to play my side games then. No Chris no matter what. Wouldn't mind before but since his alpha ape look, he's just annoying to see.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
hmm will they show RE7 or RE2 on E3..? and which one is releasing first

It will almost certainly be RE7, RE2 hasn't even been in active development for a year, whereas RE7 has probably been in some form of development since 2013 (maybe even before that).

I am honestly not expecting RE2 till the 20th anniversary in 2018, if they make it a 3rd person game it could be even longer.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This combined with the sales projection they want to release a title to sell 4 million copies before the end of fiscal year basically cements 100% it's RE7, and does cement they want to release RE7 before the fiscal year is up.

No exploration and one puzzle that could be called good the entire game. Not 'faithful to the roots' at all.

Anyway, 4m sales gotta be RE7.

Whompa02

I agree, but there's something wrong with being SO inspired by something that you lose what made you interesting in the first place.

Fraxin

You know what? You're right. You're totally right.

What's Ash been up to since Resi 4?

Don't really know. They talked about the president in RE6 but cant remember them mentioning Ashley, was wondering all the game what happened to her. Even with how annoying she was in RE4, I still don't know why I got curious.

gafneo

Banned
I put money that RE2 is the game. Why would they put out 7 when they didn't show it off yet. Re2 is the game you buy to play while antisipating the next major release.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Don't really know. They talked about the president in RE6 but cant remember them mentioning Ashley, was wondering all the game what happened to her. Even with how annoying she was in RE4, I still don't know why I got curious.

Different president.

I put money that RE2 is the game. Why would they put out 7 when they didn't show it off yet. Re2 is the game you buy to play while antisipating the next major release.
RE2make would not be expected to make those sales and is barely into development.

ArjanN

Seems way too soon for Re2. I'm pretty sure they only barely started on that.

Top Bottom