• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

Rebooting RE would be so pointless

A reboot in its own universe? I dunno, there's still people who dislike that 7 is connected and such. I know it's probably not realistically feasible, but if capcom realistically could support two different universes. I think it'd be pretty interesting.

However i of course would take the series never being rebooted if it has to be one or the other.

Weiss

Banned
Honestly I'd be down for a reboot if only because I'm worried things will descend into more actiony territory. 7 itself got into this near the end but it at least felt earned. How are they going to maintain the scares with Chris Redfield?

That, and with the small scale of a dilapidated mansion in a swamp, I really don't want to get back into evil Bio Corporations again.

Jawmuncher

Honestly I'd be down for a reboot if only because I'm worried things will descend into more actiony territory. 7 itself got into this near the end but it at least felt earned. How are they going to maintain the scares with Chris Redfield?

They aren't, going by the data mine.
You're killing molded, punching them, and taking steroids to heal. You also have a mask which brings a hud and such.

The not a hero DLC is going to show a lot of people, that action RE is still on capcoms mind.

Weiss

Banned
You're killing molded, punching them, and taking steroids to heal. You also have a mask which brings a hud and such.

The not a hero DLC is going to show a lot of people, that action RE is still on capcoms mind.

Which, I mean, it's fine for the game to be action packed, RE2 is a masterpiece and that's as far from RE1 as 4, hell even RE1 ends with you shooting a big monster with a rocket launcher while the entire mansion explodes, but there's gotta be some balance. You need to have that power taken away from you sometime to truly appreciate it. That's why while the ship was the weakest part of the game, I didn't mind it too much.

RE7 has both situations where you're being relentless stalked by a taunting killer with a massive weapon and where you skip past a puzzle and drop a bomb into the villain's hiding hole like he's Elmer Fudd.

Jawmuncher

Which, I mean, it's fine for the game to be action packed, RE2 is a masterpiece and that's as far from RE1 as 4, but there's gotta be some balance. You need to have that power taken away from you sometime to truly appreciate it. That's why while the ship was the weakest part of the game, I didn't mind it too much.

RE7 has both situations where you're being relentless stalked by a taunting killer with a massive weapon and where you skip past a puzzle and drop a bomb into the villain's hiding hole like he's Elmer Fudd.

The problem is doing that for any characters that appeared in 4-6. Doesn't make sense for any of the legacy crew at this point to be scared or helpless from bio threats when it's basically their everyday job.
You'd have to start getting into Metroid style "oh chris somehow lost all his guns, and hurt his arm", style scenarios to try and get the older characters back into horror setups like RE7.

At this point if they insist on keeping with stuff like RE7, they need to keep ethan or have other new characters or rookies. I can't imagine Leon or others being in the baker house and handling it the exact same way.
That's another issue entirely though, since with 7 they used up their mansion callback. So RE8 should be interesting in how they bring back horror in a locale.

L.O.R.D

just finished the game under 4 hours

C7IYqGWXwAQ0FLO.jpg

16? that weird,i don't remember destroying more then 5 or 6 in my play on easy,only in the first run on normal i got about 15 i think,
so if i play again and only destroyed the remaining 4 that i didn't destroyed before they will count to 20?

the running shows and essence of defense is tide to mister everything?

RSB

Banned

I'd rather have them show that by making that stand alone Mercs game already. Seriously Capcom, how hard could it be?

RE7 + punches (Not a Hero DLC) may be alright, but I suspect it will be a poor substitute for proper action RE (just like RE7 itself is a really poor substitute for proper classic RE)

RSB

Banned
RE Revelations is gonna be re-released on PS4 and XB1.

360 and PS3 are still the only way to play Dragon's Dogma on consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck grinding the co-op again for the plat. Was fine on 3DS but the PS3/360 turned it into a huge grind.

If they ever port Dragon's Dogma they need fix the rental system and it's rewards, almost impossible to get pawn rented randomly and the rewards you get back are awful.

Also need infinite travel stone like you got for importing from vanilla to Dark Arisen.

And multiple character save files!

What did they change between versions? I had both and I recall the PS3 raid mode being harder? Was that it?

Significantly more XP to level up. On 3DS you could just play through the levels/difficulty in turn and be near 50 by time done, on PS3 you need stop playing new levels and grind already played ones (a lot) or else the new levels become too hard.

It's still a poor substitute for:

tumblr_nivn3uLJEh1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Stomp.gif

original.gif

3918283-http___makeagif.com__media_6-25-2014_pa4s0p.gif

Gameplay wise...

Like, fuck everything about the RE 6 level design, I need more of that gameplay.

Jawmuncher

It's still a poor substitute for:

tumblr_nivn3uLJEh1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Stomp.gif

original.gif

3918283-http___makeagif.com__media_6-25-2014_pa4s0p.gif

Gameplay wise...

Like, fuck everything about the RE 6 level design, I need more of that gameplay.

Agreed, but at least it's alive in some form.
It's a shame how quickly people dismiss RE6 for not being "RE", and don't even get to understanding the game-play.

I'd rather have them show that by making that stand alone Mercs game already. Seriously Capcom, how hard could it be?

RE7 + punches (Not a Hero DLC) may be alright, but I suspect it will be a poor substitute for proper action RE (just like RE7 itself is a really poor substitute for proper classic RE)
I'm asking myself the same thing, don't know what they are waiting for.

They can make a great base game and then add DLC( costumes/stages/etc). Good profit IMO

Zambatoh

What did they change between versions? I had both and I recall the PS3 raid mode being harder? Was that it?

Story Mode got a new difficulty that remixed enemy layouts. Very similar to RE7's Madhouse mode. Costume select also became available, but they don't appear in cutscenes.

Raide Mode received a significant overhaul.
-The ratings system was changed. Perfect Accuracy was swapped out for No Healing (I think. I'm not sure.)
-Costumes determine weapon ability. Thus completely changing how Raid is played in general.
-Weapons now have random skills hard coded into them.
-Enemy strengths and weakness were completely redone. I.E. Hunters are weak to Rifles vs Shotguns that do diddly squat to them.

Plus other stuff I may have missed, but Raid in general is completely different from the 3DS version.

Brhoom

Banned
People are setting themselves up for dissapointment if they think RE2make will 100% be a classic style very similar to REmake.

After the free remake for PS4, I asked people who never played the classic games to give me their opinon.

They all loved the game as a whole. Two issues however:

"You can't control the camera"

"Controls sucks"

As much as I love tank controls, it will not get a pass today.

Jawmuncher

After the free remake for PS4, I asked people who never played the classic games to give me their opinon.

They all loved the game as a whole. Two issues however:

"You can't control the camera"

"Controls sucks"

As much as I love tank controls, it will not get a pass today.

That's definitely a big issue. The thread for that month had a lot of the same complaints, and some people didn't even bother to go past that.
Which is why I could see capcom changing up RE2make and doing something more akin to FF7R, to the dismay of some. But I've said before I think a big factor is the budget of the game.

If the budget was on par with RE HD and RE 0 HD, then sure they'll just keep it the same and call it a day. However it seems like RE2make is going to be the next "big" title for the series until 8 hits. So I'd think the budget would be similar to that of a mainline title, and the sales expectations would be similar as well.

I will not be surprised closer to its launch if they expect 4 million copies from it at minimum and it'll be carrying a $60 price tag.

I think people are a bit too dismissive of it has to be exactly like the classic style.

RSB

Banned
People are setting themselves up for dissapointment if they think RE2make will 100% be a classic style very similar to REmake.
I already know how I'm gonna react when they announce it.

If it is classic style: Hell yeah! Just what I wanted.

If it is action style: Shit. Oh well, it could have been worse I guess.

If it is like RE7: FUUUUUUUUUUU

BadWolf

Yup, classic is of course preferred but action won't be so bad and at the end of the day you just know that the action style is what will sell the most.

RE7 style should be illegal.

Golnei

I'd rather it took after RE7 than end up third-person action oriented, even if I'd prefer something in the style of REmake. Still, I'm not expecting them to take huge liberties with the game, beyond adding in optional assists like a non-tank control scheme. Consequently, I'm not sure it's going to be getting too huge a budget.

Jawmuncher

I expect a decent budget, more than Rev 2 but less than RE7. Though RE7 probably had a bigger budget since they probably factored in making the engine into that games budget.

I stand firm on RE2make being more akin to something like FF7R than something simple. I could see huge changes people wouldn't like, such as redesigning the flow of the rpd.

Jawmuncher

My money is on FPS.

I could see it as an option, but not the only way to play.
While the FPS is a big change for the series, I don't think capcom is going to hunkerdown and make all future games First Person. At least not anything which isn't a brand new game in the mainline.

I still think a part of why they stopped the fan remake is because they saw something in the concept of having classic and modern styles that one could freely switch. Which wouldn't be an issue on adding FPS as a aiming option.

Zambatoh

Well, I mean RE2 was already an actionized sequel to begin with.
The game even opens with what is essentially a Michael Bay style opening with traffic accidents, explosions, guns, guns, and more guns, and then you're dumped right in the middle of an open street surrounded by zombies thinking "Jeezus fuck! What do I do!? I don't even know the controls yet!"
Not to mention the game is constantly throwing ammo at you. More then any human should reasonably be able to carry in their pockets.
You'd think with the ridiculous surplus of ammo and 2nd amendment rights laying around, the city would be able to take care of the zombie menace over night. But apparently not.

Mr_Zombie

I would be disappointed (and sadly, I expect to be) if REmake 2 abandons static camera angles. Part of the atmosphere of the original game came from all those weird, cinematic shots. For example, the way the camera was placed in the interrogation room (focusing on the mirror) gave you a hint that something will happen there and thus made you anxious when at first nothing happened. There were a lot of such scenes in the game where the cameras placement was building the tension, empathized the environment, or helped with hiding something from the player.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, I wonder if Vendetta will explain the Chris situation, I still find it funny how Capcom didn't tell the studio about his redesign (and different English voice actors). I just hope Rebecca gets enough screen time, the movie looks decent like Damnation.

Yeah I've already accepted that Capcom will do different things with it, and camera angles may not be involved, but I still hope they give an option for classic fans. I don't expect a RE7 camera though, that is not happening. I'm more interested to see how they change things up in terms of scenarios, I mainly want to be able to explore more of Raccoon City on the streets before getting to the RPD station. I also wonder if the T-103 encounter will be axed or not. And it would be cool if enemies could open doors to the safe rooms, but that won't happen because it would be frustrating for casual players.

Jawmuncher

Well, I wonder if Vendetta will explain the Chris situation, I still find it funny how Capcom didn't tell the studio about his redesign (and different English voice actors). I just hope Rebecca gets enough screen time, the movie looks decent like Damnation.

Yeah I've already accepted that Capcom will do different things with it, and camera angles may not be involved, but I still hope they give an option for classic fans. I don't expect a RE7 camera though, that is not happening. I'm more interested to see how they change things up in terms of scenarios, I mainly want to be able to explore more of Raccoon City on the streets before getting to the RPD station. I also wonder if the T-103 encounter will be axed or not. And it would be cool if enemies could open doors to the safe rooms, but that won't happen because it would be frustrating for casual players.

CVXfreak saw another preview or something, and the game will definitely tie into RE7 Chris. I think design wise, the movie was probably being worked on for awhile, so they never had any intention of drastically changing his design. Then when they scanned the actor and were unable to really make any changes to him, it was too late to do anything.

The changes that could come to RE2 are definitely what has me the most interested.

REmake 2 is the best shot for Classic. It takes place when both Leon and Claire are rather young and inexperienced (Leon being an rookie cop on his first day and Claire just having training from Chris), so it circumnavigates the issue of "How do we make anything scary to the current roster of characters". Leon isn't a high ranked special agent protecting the president and suplex master and Claire hasn't been through a dozen outbreaks.

But Capcom gonna Capcom.

gelf

I miss fixed cameras so much, its what attracted me to the series in the first place. Sadly I'm fully prepared to not be interested in the RE2 remake at all when its unveiled. Just like I wanted a turn based FFVII but never expected it to be.

My biggest fear would be what they do to the police station if they turn it into an RE4-6 style game as I dont believe tight corridors suit it. I'd rather RE7 style if it preserves the level layout better.

Jawmuncher

I miss fixed cameras so much, its what attracted me to the series in the first place. I'm fully prepared to not be interested in the RE2 remake at all when its unveiled. Just like I wanted a turn based FFVII but never expected it to be.

My biggest fear would be what they do to the police station if they turn it into an RE4-6 style game as I dont believe tight corridors suit it.

If they did, i'd expect areas to be made larger to incorporate it.

I do hope they look at the success of Until Dawn and don't shy away from fixed camera.

But goddamn, what I really want to see are pre-render backgrounds again.

BadWolf

Looks like they're porting CVX to PS4, XB1, and PC.

RE7, Rev, CVX

Looks like action RE fans ain't getting shit game wise this year, unless there is more in store. Hopefully the not a hero DLC and Vendetta can fill the holes somewhat.

Aside from 7 it's all ports though. The action games already got their current gen ports so there's nothing left.

We'd have to hope for a brand new game, which even if it's happening wouldn't be this year.

Jawmuncher

Aside from 7 it's all ports though. The action games already got their current gen ports so there's nothing left.

We'd have to hope for a brand new game, which even if its happening wouldn't be this year.

I mean we could get a remastered port of Mercenaries 3D.

Jawmuncher

I'd rather just hope for a new console merc game with RE6 combat -_-

True.

Regardless, I'll continue the fight until I get action RE again. If we count only new games it's been 5 years since RE6.

Umbrella Corps doesn't fit the bill, and Revelations 2 we all know downplayed that aspect.

BadWolf

True.

Regardless, I'll continue the fight until I get action RE again. If we count only new games it's been 5 years since RE6.

Umbrella Corps doesn't fit the bill, and Revelations 2 we all know downplayed that aspect.

The sad part is that there shouldn't even be a need to fight, action RE is hands down the best selling RE.

The fact that Capcom doesn't already have a new major entry in the style is nothing short of dumb.

Mr_Zombie

Looks like they're porting CVX to PS4, XB1, and PC.

RE7, Rev, CVX

Looks like action RE fans ain't getting shit game wise this year, unless there is more in store. Hopefully the not a hero DLC and Vendetta can fill the holes somewhat.

So now rerelease RE2 and RE3 on PC and we're good, Capcom.

Also, CVX PC running on MT Framework will probably be modable; maybe someone will come with a high-resolution textures project. :O

Jawmuncher

untitledk8uga.png

rt74ulj.png

rtt9pufz.png

They defend RE6 a lot, and understand it has its fans. Which I absolutely love seeing. It isn't treated like say DC3 or DMC2 at capcom. Which is the right answer, since it's not close to either of those.

Really hope there is indeed some sort of action title planned. Last I heard, there was but I didn't get much more info than that. Sounded like Revelations 3 was not a thing that was happening though. So if it's still on the table, sounded like it would be it's own title.

gelf

So now rerelease RE2 and RE3 on PC and we're good, Capcom.

Also, CVX PC running on MT Framework will probably be modable; maybe someone will come with a high-resolution textures project. :O

Should also re release RE1 while they're at it as REmake doesn't replace it entirely. A PS1 era RE collection would be nice. Heck shove Dino Crisis in there too.

Jawmuncher

Should also re release RE1 while their at it as REmake doesn't replace it entirely. A PS1 era RE collection would be nice. Heck shove Dino Crisis in there too.

The DC ports are good to. I ran 1 and 2 on windows 10 with very little issue if they wanted to go the cheapest absolute route.

Top Bottom