• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Mr_Zombie

the user profile of the 3DS might be another factor, from things like Revelations 2 not being considered as a 3DS project it seems reasonable that they've decided its demographic might not align with RE's.

I think Revelations 2 not being released on 3ds was more about the game being too advanced technically than there not being an audience for the game on the handheld. Rev1 was designed with 3ds in mind, so it has small locations (either small rooms or tight corridors) and often loadings. Rev2, on the other hand, has a lot of open locations (e.g. the forest in chapter 1, the village in chapter 2) and advanced lighting. Just look at how many sacrifices they had to do to port the game to Vita, which is, hardware wise, a superior mobile device; and yet the game still has framerate problems.

Golnei

I think Revelations 2 not being released on 3ds was more about the game being too advanced technically than there not being an audience for the game on the handheld. Rev1 was designed with 3ds in mind, so it has small locations (either small rooms or tight corridors) and often loadings. Rev2, on the other hand, has a lot of open locations (e.g. the forest in chapter 1, the village in chapter 2) and advanced lighting. Just look at how many sacrifices they had to do to port the game to Vita, which is, hardware wise, a superior mobile device; and yet the game still has framerate problems.

Revelations 2 as it is would have been difficult to port; I was talking about the decision to not keep those limitations in mind from the beginning when considering the scope of the project - they had the choice of either limiting the scope of the game by working around the 3DS again, or the multiplatform option that excluded the 3DS entirely and only constrained them by their budget.

AdaWong

So out of the one-hit wonders, who's most likely to return?

Carlos (RE3)
Sheva (RE5)
Jake (RE6)
Helena (RE6)
Jessica (REV)
Raymond (REV)
Parker (REV)
Keith (REV)
Moira (REV2)
Natalex (REV2)

Out of those, I feel like Jessica, Jake and Natalex are the most likely to come back. The others seemed too disposable and had nothing about them that makes them to standout.

I think Jake is most likely to return, but I also believe Sheva has a chance to comeback since her and Chris were responsible for killing Wesker.

No:

Keith was a character of necessity. I highly doubt he'll come back. Same with Quint.

Carlos hasn't shown up in anything outside of RE 3 and Chronicles.

Parker was created because they needed Jill to have a partner. If Jill shows up again, she'll either be with Chris or solo again.

Possibly:

Helena is probably too tied to RE 6 for Capcom's liking, but I wouldn't rule her out entirely (this may be my own wishful thinking).

Since RE 5 I think Sheva's only been mentioned in a single file in Revelations 2. However, due to her connection to Wesker, she might have a chance.

Jessica and Raymond
may come back if since they are linked to Umbrella and Umbrella seems to have been revived.

Likely:

Jake will most likely come back because of Natelex. Capcom isn't done with the Wesker family.

Moira will likely come back due to her connection with Natalia, and thus Natalex.

Natalex will come back unless they intend to cut that plotline (doubtful).

Of all the characters, I want Sheva, Moira, and Jake to come back the most.

Golnei

I'd like to see Sheva and Carlos, however unlikely they might be to resurface. Though after Revelations 2 I mostly just want them to do something with Moira and Barry again.

Fuck it, I want a Resident Evil Anime. Devil May Cry had one, Ace Attorney had one, Sengoku Basara had three series and a movie, and Monster Hunter has one. 26 episode first season, starring Leon/Jill/Chris/Sheva/Sherry/Jake/Moira/Barry/Ada/Helena/Rebecca let's go! And a 4th movie!

lhjhbB9.gif

Fuck it, I want a Resident Evil Anime. Devil May Cry had one, Ace Attorney had one, Sengoku Basara had three series and a movie, and Monster Hunter has one. 26 episode first season, starring Leon/Jill/Chris/Sheva/Sherry/Jake/Moira/Barry/Ada/Helena/Rebecca let's go! And a 4th movie!

lhjhbB9.gif

They could really pull it off. They could also do a Full House style sitcom with the Bakers, Eveline, Mia, and Ethan. A DMC CG movie has to come first though. We've waited so damn long for the OG series to comeback.

With The Final Chapter making about 300 million after this week, it's nuts to think that Resident Evil of all franchises is the only successful video game movie franchise. We live in a world where the 6th Resident Evil movie with less than a third of the budget did better than the first Assassin's Creed movie starring Fassbender. People fucking love Resident Evil.

They could really pull it off. They could also do a Full House style sitcom with the Bakers, Eveline, Mia, and Ethan. A DMC CG movie has to come first though. We've waited so damn long for the OG series to comeback.

I want a Netflix series, a rebooted movie series, a 4th CG movie, and at least a 26 episode anime for Resident Evil. I want a CG DMC movie, another anime series, and a 5th game. Fuck, throw in DmC 2 with DMC 5! I want Sengoku Basara localized again and another anime series. I WANT MEGA MAN TO LIVE!

Every single time Capcom puts out some content I'm just like:

I-Like-It-Another-Thor-Reaction-Gif.gif

Capcom is in the insane position of having three of my favorite franchises.

Brhoom

Banned
Sorta OT but there are zero horror games for the Switch.

It's your move Capcom, you did well with Revelations on the 3DS, just port the Gamecube port of RE3 and I'll buy it.

frontovik

Banned
Has anyone played the original Resident Evil and RE2 on PC?

I have the hard copies, but haven't really delved into them as there were compatibility issues.

Jawmuncher

Has anyone played the original Resident Evil and RE2 on PC?

I have the hard copies, but haven't really delved into them as there were compatibility issues.

The older PC copies are a bit harder to run than the newer copies made specifically for japan. Those have English patches now though if you want to go that route.

What would y'alls ideal RE 8 be?

Personally, I want Capcom to take a crack at either RE 4/5's more restrictive action gameplay or to just go all out like with RE 6 again only with, ya know, level design that actually supports it and a focused direction. I would say I'd like a REmake style classic, but that's what I'm hoping REmake 2 is going to be.

Character wise all I know is that I want Sheva, Moira, Sherry, Jake, Barry, and Claire.

Personally, I want Capcom to take a crack at either RE 4/5's more restrictive action gameplay or to just go all out like with RE 6 again only with, ya know, level design that actually supports it and a focused direction. I would say I'd like a REmake style classic, but that's what I'm hoping REmake 2 is going to be.

Character wise all I know is that I want Sheva, Moira, Sherry, Jake, Barry, and Claire.

Gameplay wise I'm not sure because I really like the three main styles the series has offered (I'll always lean a little more towards the action stuff when it comes to pure fun), but I hope story wise they do something similar to RE7 in that it wasn't a "stop this villain from destroying the world" kind of story. They should have a bigger plot going on in the background like Wesker/Umbrella from the old games, but I want the story to be more grounded as far as the scale goes.

RSB

Banned

Resident Evil 6 Part II.

Jake, Sherry and Moira have to come back for sure.

gelf

My ideal RE will always be a fixed camera style game. The chance of that happening for RE8 is nil though so I'll take another in the style of 7 though hopefully with a bigger location with more rooms to explore and more puzzles.

Personally, I want Capcom to take a crack at either RE 4/5's more restrictive action gameplay or to just go all out like with RE 6 again only with, ya know, level design that actually supports it and a focused direction.

I'd be more than happy with either of those.

Don't need to make it a world wide issue anymore, but we can still have it where those folks are still doing missions to take down those other organizations.

I'm also of the opinion that Capcom can make non-action/ regular Joe or Jane using the same gameplay system as RE6. Give them more "clumsy" and "panicked" actions, and we'd be good to go. Keep the cinematics grounded and we'd be good to go.

Jawmuncher

I'd be more than happy with either of those.

Don't need to make it a world wide issue anymore, but we can still have it where those folks are still doing missions to take down those other organizations.

I'm also of the opinion that Capcom can make non-action/ regular Joe or Jane using the same gameplay system as RE6. Give them more "clumsy" and "panicked" actions, and we'd be good to go. Keep the cinematics grounded and we'd be good to go.

This is what I was trying to get across in another thread. Sure people don't like action RE, but at the end of the day people just want a good game. If RE6 gameplay mechanics were the same but it had tighter more concrete campaign, there wouldn't be so much against it.

I'd love to see a game like RE6 that does a far better job incorporating older elements of the series with more regular characters. Just as an example I could see a scenario like Outbreak working well with that style Of control.

In an odd way, it makes more sense than walking at a light jog in a mansion even when being chased.

i haven't even seen half of the RE6 gifs on this page in-game, holy crap

c'mon capcom, give us a mercenaries game

The biggest shame about RE 6 was that it didn't have a decent tutorial to teach people the amazing combat system. The "Prologue" is still the most baffling thing about the game. It isn't in continuity, doesn't teach the basic mechanics of the game, is loaded full of QTEs, and really just overall gets the game off to a bad start.

Zambatoh

The biggest shame about RE 6 was that it didn't have a decent tutorial to teach people the amazing combat system. The "Prologue" is still the most baffling thing about the game. It isn't in continuity, doesn't teach the basic mechanics of the game, is loaded full of QTEs, and really just overall gets the game off to a bad start.

I've noticed that it's pretty rare for Capcom's games to even have tutorials at all. I think even Devil May Cry just shoves most of it to the side.
Even after they ditched manuals though, they still can't be bothered to go the extra mile for some reason.
This was especially terrible for Operation Raccoon City, because the combat system actually has some depth to it, but you wouldn't know it just mashing buttons.
And what makes this especially jarring is that RE6's demo actually lays out the full control scheme for you during loading screens, but the final game has nothing like that.

There's just one thing I absolutely can't get out of my mind.

For anyone that's familiar with "The Keeper's Diary" in RE1, how was this guy able to still write in a journal? He basically talked about eating someone after eating doggy food, but he still had enough sense to put the date and the entry down. Since he ate someone and considered them tasty, he seems to basically be a zombie at that point.

I realize that this isn't really an important question, but I figured the RE community would have a better understanding of this.

Zambatoh

There's just one thing I absolutely can't get out of my mind.

For anyone that's familiar with "The Keeper's Diary" in RE1, how was this guy able to still write in a journal? He basically talked about eating someone after eating doggy food, but he still had enough sense to put the date and the entry down. Since he ate someone and considered them tasty, he seems to basically be a zombie at that point.

I realize that this isn't really an important question, but I figured the RE community would have a better understanding of this.

The actual zombification process is pretty gradual. Even in RE2 and 3, it is strongly implied that the town did not turn into a warzone over night. Reports of cannibalism initially began as localized incidents until it eventually turned into an epidemic.

In later games, however, victims seem to get infected a lot more quickly.

Makes sense. The Keeper was infected because of the accident in the lab, which I assumed was airborne because they had to put on containment suits after it happened. Seems like being infected through a method outside of a bite takes awhile. When the truck driver at the beginning of RE2 was bitten, he seemed to transform not too long after it happened.

Many of the other scientists talked about being infected in journals throughout RE1, but most of them either ended themselves before they changed or waited for it to happen. The Keeper was in the dark about the whole thing, it seems. I remember a RE3 diary where a doctor at the hospital talked about how it was over for him because he began to feel itchy and hungry like the other patients.

Thanks for answering. The older journals have lots of interesting info.

With The Final Chapter making about 300 million after this week, it's nuts to think that Resident Evil of all franchises is the only successful video game movie franchise. We live in a world where the 6th Resident Evil movie with less than a third of the budget did better than the first Assassin's Creed movie starring Fassbender. People fucking love Resident Evil.
It's not the only successful video game related movie/series. They not really RE at all either, is just using the name and slapped it on an Underworld movie that swapped vamps and werewolfs for zombies and BOWs.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've never played a Resident Evil game before but thinking of getting the newest one RE7 biohazard. looks quite interesting. what do people think of it?

Brhoom

Banned
i've never played a Resident Evil game before but thinking of getting the newest one RE7 biohazard. looks quite interesting. what do people think of it?

If you have time, play each main one from the start.

if you don't, play REmake (PS4, Xbone, PC), Resident Evil 4 (PS4, Xbone, PC) and then RE 7.

RE7 is easily top 5 for many Resi fans, it's a return to the series' roots.

I really recommend playing the main ones from the start, in this order.

RE1>RE2>RE3>REMAKE>RE4>RE7

RE Code Veronica, RE Zero, 5 and 6 is where the fans' opinion split, so play them without expecting a masterpiece.

Jawmuncher

Don't bother playing RE7, Play 4-6 instead

Don't listen to brhoom who is lying to you. 7 is people's favorite? Pffft maybe peopl who don't know what RE is.

dlauv

RE7 is a great place to start and has the most modern sensibilities. If you want to dive into the older titles, REmake HD and RE4 are perfect.

They all play very differently from each other though, so be warned.

REmake, RE 4, and RE 7 are the best entry points. REmake and RE 4 are generally considered to be among the best games of all time (to which I agree) and RE 7 is probably the friendliest for fans of horror in the last 5 years.

Weiss

Banned
I got the Palisades Mr. X toy and it is fucking gorgeous. RE toys are so surprisingly high quality, like the NECA Chainsaw Ganado. So many details and indents. Hell even the Funko Pops are good.

Brhoom

Banned
Don't bother playing RE7, Play 4-6 instead

Don't listen to brhoom who is lying to you. 7 is people's favorite? Pffft maybe peopl who don't know what RE is.

Play 4 to 6 if you want to see how can a series go from best to worst.

RE7 is a great place to start and has the most modern sensibilities. If you want to dive into the older titles, REmake HD and RE4 are perfect.

They all play very differently from each other though, so be warned.

Yeah, thinking about it, 7 isn't a bad place to start. But you must play 4 and REmake as well.

Jawmuncher

Play 4 to 6 if you want to see how can a series go from best to worst.

Yeah, thinking about it, 7 isn't a bad place to start. But you must play 4 and REmake as well.

Lol. I was waiting for you to post. I didn't know how long that post could stay up until someone took it way too seriously.

But yeah, 7 isn't a bad place to start. I've actually had a lot of my friends playing it. In the "well at least they enjoy it" camp.

Top Bottom