• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

i've never played a Resident Evil game before but thinking of getting the newest one RE7 biohazard. looks quite interesting. what do people think of it?

Well the responses you'll get for that will be slightly favored in one way since this thread is mainly filled with sulking RE6 fans who don't like the direction the series took with 7 :p

Jawmuncher

Man I don't know what you guys are talking about because RE7 is fantastic.

Serious Face :

It has the workings of a great game. While I wasn't a fan of a lot of the scripted moments of the opening. The game from the beginning of the kitchen table to getting all 3 dog heads is ace. Probably the best bit of game I've played this year.
The only problem is I feel after that the game just keeps tumbling down with only one more very small spike up before crashing down some more. I can't wait to see what they do with RE8, since they should be able to incorporate a lot of feedback from 7. But 7 to me really does feel like a new team trying to get back in the groove, and all of its issues I find with it make that more than apparent that they're not quite there yet.
It's a good attempt at trying to be more modern, and still bridge its roots back. But an attempt that fails in other areas doesn't automatically elevate the game to being one of the best in the series in my eyes.

Wanted to keep that as spoiler-free as possible. But I can go more in-depth if needed.

Jawmuncher

I won't bother buying Rev 1 again on PS4 and XB1. I already own it on PC, 360, and WiiU. I don't need it again, considering it's one of my least favorites. Though I'm sure if it's priced at $20 I'll buy it again when it hits $10 or something if it has a physical release.

Jawmuncher

Rev1 on current consoles, once again... don't see the reason though.

Capcom, give us a Mercenaries game PLEASE!!

It's at least nice to see Rev 1 & 2 both on current gen.
That was one thing I liked about PS3, you could literally play basically every game in the series on it up to Rev 2.

Well the responses you'll get for that will be slightly favored in one way since this thread is mainly filled with sulking RE6 fans who don't like the direction the series took with 7 :p
I'm not really a RE6 fan, or RE4. But RE7 was just very limited in value and imo not worth buying. One playthrough and you've experienced it all.

Don't bring up madhouse, is a farce to call that 'new'. Is identical almost completely to normal and only the first house has minor differences, is like they gave up changing anything after that.

Zambatoh

I think Beginner Hour is a better RE7 then RE7 itself.

For starters I was very disappointed with the way they handled the tapes. In the demo they made it seem like there would be some kind of zapping system where changes in the past would alter the present. As well as having multiple endings.
But in the final game, they allow you to unlock a drawer for the ancient coin and...that's it. The concept is still there, but it just stops at the prologue.

The demo also had an infection event in place where getting scratched by the mold would end terribly for you. Ethan doesn't suffer this or even begin to suffer from it until the very end of the game. The nameless intruder only needed a few minutes to turn in comparison.

Jawmuncher

I think Beginner Hour is a better RE7 then RE7 itself.

For starters I was very disappointed with the way they handled the tapes. In the demo they made it seem like there would be some kind of zapping system where changes in the past would alter the present. As well as having multiple endings.
But in the final game, they allow you to unlock a drawer for the ancient coin and...that's it. The concept is still there, but it just stops at the prologue.

The demo also had an infection event in place where getting scratched by the mold would end terribly for you. Ethan doesn't suffer this or even begin to suffer from it until the very end of the game. The nameless intruder only needed a few minutes to turn in comparison.
While I didn't like beginning hour that much. It did indeed have some good ideas attached to it. As you said the whole VHS mechanic is so under utilized in RE7 and sadly so. There could've been a lot of cool that came out of that, but nope. Also affecting the word rather than just a sneak peek of things to come was a better idea.

I also agree about the infection stuff. But then again that goes back to comic book logic. Where Capcom rights the virus to work how it needs to.

I'm hoping the DLC explores more of these ideas.

TreIII

Rev1 on current consoles, once again... don't see the reason though.

Capcom, give us a Mercenaries game PLEASE!!

To elaborate on what I suggested in the other topic...

I could think of "worse" things than Capcom putting out a "Mercenaries 2017" as a follow-up to Mercs 3D that just throws in so much fanservice in the form of characters (alive or dead), weapons, areas/locations, enemies and maybe even throw in a sort of Raid mode for those who want a more "RPG-like" growth system.

Mercs, at least to me, is a style of game that shouldn't be stuck in the confines of being a side mode to a main RE, any more. It's ready to be its own thing, and certainly could be the brand where all the straight up bro-op action is.

Maybe REV1 will have Mercs 3DS along with it? Both are afterall on the 3DS and Capcom has put some effort into these re-releases/ports adding new content, with the exception of RE6 and the fact they never fixed the versus glitch on RE5. Makes no sense as to why it's taking to long to release REV1 tbh... could've been released last year along with the 20th anniversary releases. Either way, if it's not Mercs 3DS it will have some other type of content added to it.

Maybe/probably I'm just looking way too much into this...

Jawmuncher

Maybe REV1 will have Mercs 3DS along with it? Both are afterall on the 3DS and Capcom has put some effort into these re-releases/ports adding new content, with the exception of RE6 and the fact they never fixed the versus glitch on RE5. Makes no sense as to why it's taking to long to release REV1 tbh... could've been released last year along with the 20th anniversary releases. Either way, if it's not Mercs 3DS it will have some other type of content added to it.

Maybe/probably I'm just looking way too much into this...

If they included Mercs 3D with revelations, I would buy it just for that.

Jawmuncher

The Hypnow Tyrant 3rd form, is still one of the best monster designs in the entire series.
Too bad it was stuck in Gun Survivor. I really hope RE8 brings back some great monster designs. I'm really tired of all the goopiness and bloopiness that has been in the series as of late. We've kinda discussed it before in here, but I find it's been awhile since there has been really memorable designs. That's not to say there has been some highlights, but none seem to carry on as iconic. from any game since 3. I guess the regenerator has in a sense, considering the ooze and molded are so similar to it.

hypnos_tyrant2mvku2.jpg

Biggest change I want in enemies is the gaining massive mass outta nowhere to go away.

Birkin slowly getting bigger over time is how it should happen (except that train mutation). Otherwise keep enemies to a fixed size.

Japan has a problem growing things in a lot of its media though. Everything ends up giant.

Jawmuncher

Biggest change I want in enemies is the gaining massive mass outta nowhere to go away.

Birkin slowly getting bigger over time is how it should happen (except that train mutation). Otherwise keep enemies to a fixed size.

Japan has a problem growing things in a lot of its media though. Everything ends up giant.

I do agree with this. Replaying RE5 and RE6. I definitely dislike how quickly the virus grow monsters of unparallel size. It was especially odd with Simmons in RE6. Things are at least a little more buyable if you don't see the transformation, but bigger isn't always better. So I would indeed like to see more natural growth. I kinda miss the more natural tyrants as the ending big baddies (though we have had some), over the big mass of something to fight.

kogasu

Hi again ResiGAF. Just checkin' in again. It took 84 years of reading to catch up with all the RE7 stuff now that I finished it like two weeks ago.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed it though. Nothing groundbreaking or absolutely amazing but they seem to be on a nice track with this style of RE, missed opportunities and all. I'm also relieved to say that. I can't tell you how weary I was before the thing came out haha.

edit: On the subject of Revelations, I only ask that they get it right and they finally spell it as it was originally intended.

REVELAITONS PLZ!!

I haven't even finished that game yet lol.

I'm stucked at the boss fight after the happy birthday section in RE7.

I hate Jack now lol
I can't beat it after he regenerates his eye, the shaky camera doesn't help me...

Golnei

I guess it comes down to how it's portrayed - Birkin is guilty of this to an extent, but the way his forms are spaced throughout the game doesn't just give time for his increasing mass to be rationalised, but allows the gradual process of his mutation enough time to breathe dramatically.

Though in the scenario of them absolutely needing a human to transform into an enormous monster over the course of a single scene, Excella's corpse pile was a nice bit of spectacle, even if everything surrounding it wasn't realised all that well. It's certainly in a different league to Simmons' continuous reversible transformations.

gelf

Yeah I'm pretty tired of that trope by now in a lot of games. Always preferred the more "normal" sized creatures. It was pretty cool with Birkin, he got more malformed as the game went on but he was still just sized like a superhuman rather then some giant blob thing until his last transformation.

I fucking hate blob with tentacles bosses. Really think enemy designs have gone backwards in the series. It's probably good that that PS1 couldn't really handle much of that kind of thing or we may have got more of them in the classics as well.

Decided to find my PS2 and lo and behold, I had a pristine copy of Outbreak (also RE4 and CVX in the Essentials Collection). Are there any negatives to having autosave on and any general tips? Super excited to play this again.

I've beaten the boss, all I needed to do was block... lol

To elaborate on what I suggested in the other topic...

I could think of "worse" things than Capcom putting out a "Mercenaries 2017" as a follow-up to Mercs 3D that just throws in so much fanservice in the form of characters (alive or dead), weapons, areas/locations, enemies and maybe even throw in a sort of Raid mode for those who want a more "RPG-like" growth system.

Mercs, at least to me, is a style of game that shouldn't be stuck in the confines of being a side mode to a main RE, any more. It's ready to be its own thing, and certainly could be the brand where all the straight up bro-op action is.
THIS
We need Mercenaries, the more reason now given that RE7 lacked this mode. It would be great to see a new standalone game ala M3D but I wouldn't be mad if your idea (Rev1+M3D) happens.

I'm still flabbergasted by Umbrella Corps. The time and effort that went into that shit show could have easily allowed them to push out a Mercenaries/Raid mode game. From the unveiling, to the roll out, to the reception I don't know what management at Capcom was thinking.

In the most recent thread about Street Fighter V they mentioned "Games as a service". Mercenaries/Raid mode fits that bill so well it isn't funny. New stages, characters, weapons layouts, etc. while doing monthly events to keep players interested. Leader boards, Co Op, multiplayer modes, easy to justify DLC, ever expanding options, maybe a Splatoon-like campaign. But they won't even put a perfunctory effort towards it.

Mr_Zombie

Seriously, if there's one game in existing franchise (aside from fighting games, of course) that could work pretty well and harmless as a "game as a service", it's Mercs/Raid. Tons of characters and clothes (and looking at bonus clothes concepts from RE6, there could be lots of them), weapon layouts, weapon upgrades, skills, levels, enemies layouts, modes (both big ones and smaller ones, like e.g. the L4D2 enemies in RE6 Mercs)... There are lots of possibilities.

Silly people complaining about Mercs 3D save erasing gave that game a big negative image, then it didn't sell so well.

Probably soured Capcom on the idea.

Jawmuncher

Silly people complaining about Mercs 3D save erasing gave that game a big negative image, then it didn't sell so well.

Probably soured Capcom on the idea.

I never understood that, considering other games after did it and no one said any thing. With mercs it doesn't even matter.

Jawmuncher

At this point I kinda wish RE7 had been a reboot. Just it's own thing with the RE name on it.

While everything else from 1-6 continued forward as it's own thing.

Kinda like the whole mega man and mega man x differences.

Akiller

At this point I kinda wish RE7 had been a reboot. Just it's own thing with the RE name on it.

While everything else from 1-6 continued forward as it's own thing.

Kinda like the whole mega man and mega man x differences.
The whole Main series - Rev series concept was a good idea to try to please the RE fanbases.

And then they fucked up with RE7 , unless they are going to Switch those two series.

Cannot believe how devoid of content RE7 is with all the season pass content releasing so quickly.

Not bought any of the DLC as feels like being ripped off.

Jawmuncher

Cannot believe how devoid of content RE7 is with all the season pass content releasing so quickly.

Not bought any of the DLC as feels like being ripped off.

It kinda is. A lot of it is like the main game, good for a playthrough and maybe some trophy hunting and not much else.

Jacks Birthday falls into just follow the correct path for S ranks.
Survival mode gets old due to just one map and enemy variety.
Ethan must die has no real incentive but how quickly you can beat it.

Sisters and 21 for their story mode are the same boat. Good for a playthrough and trophy hunting and not much else.

This is definitey the first RE in awhile where the replyability is shockingly low unless you want trophies.
Which was one of my biggest complaints on the game. I beat it and have no intention of going back until the other two dlcs .

Jawmuncher

I sound like I absolutely hate RE7. I really don't, I just don't see it as the perfect return to form. It's a step in the right direction, but still has too many flaws for me personally. I can see why those who absolutely loathed 5 & 6 are so accepting of it though.

I'm hoping RE8 is the game that'll have me more comfortable with the change. Take the errors of 7 and fix them for something really great.

Weiss

Banned
It's a bummer how little discussion there seems to be on RE7 only two months out of its release. It reviewed well and sold well (I guess? I don't get AAA devs), but no one seems to be talking about it anymore.

Which is a shame, since it's fantastic and you're wrong if you don't like it and you're probably still into Dino Crisis or something.

Jawmuncher

It's a bummer how little discussion there seems to be on RE7 only two months out of its release. It reviewed well and sold well (I guess? I don't get AAA devs), but no one seems to be talking about it anymore.

Which is a shame, since it's fantastic and you're wrong if you don't like it and you're probably still into Dino Crisis or something.

7731.gif~c200

But real talk. A lot of the discussion happened the first two weeks of release. Literally every aspect of 7 has been talked about and discussed. It isn't something like Nier where there's deeper meaning to talk about and such.
Talk will start up again if they give us enough content and story bits in the upcoming DLCs.

BadWolf

There isn't much to discuss really.

RSB

Banned
The thought of RE8 being in the same style as RE7 (dull 1st person gameplay, boring looking characters because "realism", etc) is just awful (and sadly it's probably what's gonna happen) Ugh.

Shit, they are going to ruin the RE2 Remake too, aren't they? Can't wait to see how boring and generic the new character designs for Leon and Claire look now. Oh well, at least we'll only have to look at them during cutscenes (because the game is gonna be in 1st person too of course)

:cries:

Let's discuss the great characters, especially Ethan and his amazing personality.

And those great wealth of enemy designs.

And those great....bonus...modes...

zeemumu

The thought of RE8 being in the same style as RE7 (dull 1st person gameplay, boring looking characters because "realism", etc) is just awful (and sadly it's probably what's gonna happen) Ugh.

Shit, they are going to ruin the RE2 Remake too, aren't they? Can't wait to see how boring and generic the new character designs for Leon and Claire look now. Oh well, at least we'll only have to look at them during cutscenes (because the game is gonna be in 1st person too of course)

:cries:

When did we decide that RE7 was crap? I enjoyed my trip through it.

RSB

Banned
When did we decide that RE7 was crap? I enjoyed my trip through it.
We? I'm just speaking for myself.

And I also enjoyed it BTW (the game's fine, nothing to write home about, but still worth a playthrough) But yeah, I still don't like the idea of future games in the franchise following this new style. Not even one bit.

Jawmuncher

We? I'm just speaking for myself.

And I also enjoyed it BTW (the game's fine, nothing to write home about, but still worth a playthrough) But yeah, I still don't like the idea of future games in the franchise following this new style. Not even one bit.

I'm not entirely against the idea of a few more like it. So long as they do keep changing things. First person with more classic monsters and the like I think could turn out pretty good, just needs a stronger story and second half. However I definitely don't want to see older games forced into that style.

I'm curious about the upcoming DLC though. Apparently there's punching like in RE4-6, so curious how that'll work out. Seems they at least know that if you're playing as chris, shit ain't supposed to be scary.

Top Bottom