• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

zeemumu

I swear if we have to get another fucking boat in an RE game.....It's done capcom give it up. We have had 4 (5 if we count gaiden) titles all on boats and none of them really made it all that worthwhile of a setting.

You know what we need? We need to go to space

I'm only half joking

dawgparty

Playing Revelations 1 for the first time on my 3DS and holy shit this game is fun. Was not expecting to enjoy it this much.

Side note, did anyone play this on the N3DS(XL?). I find that using the weird analog nub on the right side to be really hard but I'm wondering if anyone else has found success with it. As of right now I'm just using the normal control scheme.

OniBaka

Side note, did anyone play this on the N3DS(XL?). I find that using the weird analog nub on the right side to be really hard but I'm wondering if anyone else has found success with it. As of right now I'm just using the normal control scheme.

It controls great with the circle pad pro but not so much with N3DS, also the aim and shoot is on the inner triggers so best stay with normal controls.

jonno394

Up to Chapter 5-2 in Resident Evil 5.

Change in area type for Chapter 5 was very much appreciated and the background story is starting to get fleshed out more. The inclusion of lickers was a nice throwback. The numbers were insane thought, and they took a lot of bullets.

Really enjoying this, obviously completely different feel to RE7 and the originals, but you just gotta roll with it I think and try and accept it for what it is, which is a pretty awesome third person shooter/action game.

Playing Revelations 1 for the first time on my 3DS and holy shit this game is fun. Was not expecting to enjoy it this much.

Try gyro aiming. It's so good that it's mouse and keyboard like.

Up to Chapter 5-2 in Resident Evil 5.

Change in area type for Chapter 5 was very much appreciated and the background story is starting to get fleshed out more. The inclusion of lickers was a nice throwback. The numbers were insane thought, and they took a lot of bullets.

Really enjoying this, obviously completely different feel to RE7 and the originals, but you just gotta roll with it I think and try and accept it for what it is, which is a pretty awesome third person shooter/action game.

I may have my issues with the main narrative (fabricated Wesker
weakness
battlesuit Jill
, Chris and Sheva hardly explored except in unlocked files), but the files in this game are the best the series has offered since REmake.

Not a fan of RE5s Licker. Could've made theme a bit more mobile and less spongie.

You know what we need? We need to go to space

I'm only half joking

Imagine RE 6 level action nonsense in space. Leon/Chris/Jill/Claire/Ada/Sherry/Jake/Helena/Barry/Moira/Sheva/Rebecca/Billy vs. space BOWs. Call it "Resident Evil Galaxy".

Fucking glorious.

Imagine this:

tumblr_n8dppjum0o1qdxux9o1_500.gif

4yXtdmg.gif

giphy.gif

rPCaUi1.gif

But in goddamn space. With Chris punching a fucking space station. Fuck me I need this.

ekgrey

I need help, fellow RE addicts.

How are 2 and 3 on PS3? I have 3 and was about to pull the trigger on 2 when I noticed that it has like 2.5 stars on user reviews. WTH? Are they like straight broken? What's a better way to play them without access to an emulator or a PS1? I loved 7 and just played Rev1 for the first time and really enjoyed it, despite its flaws. I have limited options as far as platforms at the moment and need more classic RE.

edit: also, is Rev2 on disc complete? If I buy a used copy, will it include the Extra Episodes?

Jawmuncher

I need help, fellow RE addicts.

How are 2 and 3 on PS3? I have 3 and was about to pull the trigger on 2 when I noticed that it has like 2.5 stars on user reviews. WTH? Are they like straight broken? What's a better way to play them without access to an emulator or a PS1? I loved 7 and just played Rev1 for the first time and really enjoyed it, despite its flaws. I have limited options as far as platforms at the moment and need more classic RE.

edit: also, is Rev2 on disc complete? If I buy a used copy, will it include the Extra Episodes?

Rev 2 on disc is complete, even when used.
As for RE2 In the US they play fine. Just people don't like the old style and then rate it as such. There's no need to go and dust off the original systems or an Emulator to play any of the old REs at this point.

ekgrey

Rev 2 on disc is complete, even when used.
As for RE2 In the US they play fine. Just people don't like the old style and then rate it as such. There's no need to go and dust off the original systems or an Emulator to play any of the old REs at this point.

Okay awesome! Thanks a bunch for the quick response. Looks like I'm playing RE2 tonight. Woooooo!

And Rev2 is coming from Amazon as fast as Prime can get it to me. Fuck yeah.

Jawmuncher

It's always so sad how quickly people are dismissive of it and say something like "play gears of war". It's asinine, by that same argument you could go "go play amnesia" if you want a scary game. When both remarks are grossly wrong.

Who knows what capcom will do though. Fans who dislike action seem to be louder than those want action. Was on twitter today and commented on a RE community posts. The like I got vs the guy who said Never (when asking about if we'll see action RE again) was 2 to 1

All depends on how RE 7 does and if they could get the cost of action RE down to a manageable level. I'm not even against RE 7 type gameplay. I just want Classic, Action, and FPS to coexist. But knowing Capcom, it'll be one or the other.

Mr_Zombie

It boggles my mind that after ~230 hours of playing RE6 I still haven't seen all counters and melees. There are so many unique, context-dependent animations in the game.

I still hope that one day we will get a standalone RE Mercs title. It would be stupid not to release something like that given how popular the mode was in RE4, 5 and 6.

It boggles my mind that after ~230 hours of playing RE6 I still haven't seen all counters and melees. There are so many unique, context-dependent animations in the game.

I still hope that one day we will get a standalone RE Mercs title. It would be stupid not to release something like that given how popular the mode was in RE4, 5 and 6.

Technically we got the 3DS Mercenaries game but it was a low effort title. I'd love a console mercenaries games. Make it a $20 digital game.

We really should be hearing about Revelations 3 (it's been two years since 2) soon and I'm really hoping REmake 2 will be making an appearance at E3 and/or TGS since that was announced a year and a half ago.

As per the RE Mercs stand alone: There's really no excuse. They could just take assets from 5/6/Rev 1/Rev 2, repurpose them, throw them into a bunch of maps, take RE 6's gameplay, get all the series characters together from those games, add maybe 25% of new melee/counters/monsters/maps, and sell it. No way it could be worse received/selling than Umbrella Corps.

Jawmuncher

I think Capcom is gonna throw a wrench into our plans.

I could see RE2make being for like the RE4 crowd, despite what people think.

Then Revelations 3 being canceled for a new subtitle series.

I dunno. They never make things easy. How long have we talked about a Mercs Standalone on consoles with lots of DLC and then they give us Umbrella Corps?

It's honestly too pessimistic to think that Capcom is gonna completely ignore the action crowd just because they wanted the main series to go back to survival horror. It just takes a lot of time to make a game.

Jawmuncher

It's honestly too pessimistic to think that Capcom is gonna completely ignore the action crowd just because they wanted the main series to go back to survival horror. It just takes a lot of time to make a game.

I'll be pessimistic until proven other wise.
After something like Dino Crisis 3, you don't exactly give them the benfit of the doubt

I dunno. They never make things easy. How long have we talked about a Mercs Standalone on consoles with lots of DLC and then they give us Umbrella Corps?

Oh god, the meltdowns if REmake 2 is like RE 4...

Umbrella Corps coming out the way it was still baffles me. It's like Capcom tried for the esports, saw it wasn't working out, and said "fuck it, release it anyway" with as little fanfare as possible.

I'll be pessimistic until proven other wise.
After something like Dino Crisis 3, you don't exactly give them the benfit of the doubt

I'm less pessimistic about Action RE due to the sales of the HD remasters. There's clearly a lot of demand for Action RE, even in the form of the much maligned RE 6 (which is now basically at 7.5 million sales). REmake 1 and RE 0 killed Classic RE with barely a million sales each at the time. There's way too much money on the table for even Capcom to ignore.

Tbh, I've been half expecting REmake 2 to double as Rev 3, in some attempt to please two (Well, one and a half) crowds at once. Dont confirm that fear Capcom, please.

Should I play Evil Within? Is that a good Action RE type game?

gelf

Tbh, I've been half expecting REmake 2 to double as Rev 3, in some attempt to please two (Well, one and a half) crowds at once. Dont confirm that fear Capcom, please.

Should I play Evil Within? Is that a good Action RE type game?

If you want a game that plays like those gifs above then no. Personally I'd play TEW over 5 or 6 any day but it excels in different areas.

Jawmuncher

Eh, crazy isn't a requirement. I just want a good action horror shooter right now, but I keep hearing conflicting things.

I personally thought it wasn't a very good action game. The whole "TEW is better than RE4" stuff that's been going on lately is really off the mark. Since neither are similar.

I would say if you can grab it cheap to just check it out. I personally think the game is just as much of a "mess" as RE6 in terms of campaign quality and consistency. But it gets more of a pass for keeping Horror as more of a focus through out compared to RE6.

So yeah, now that I'm done with Yakuza 0, RE7 has become one of my next potential games. How is the replay value? I've heard that, apart from the camera view, it tries to follow in REmake's footsteps. Does it have similiar inventory management and with it the same addicting "Yeah, okay, next time I'm gonna streamline my run even more!" element? The classic RE games were fairly slow and adventure like, but still felt very gamey, arcade-y. Is RE7 more like that, or the sort of "movie" like experience with lots lof scripted events and little interactivity?

So yeah, now that I'm done with Yakuza 0, RE7 has become one of my next potential games. How is the replay value? I've heard that, apart from the camera view, it tries to follow in REmake's footsteps. Does it have similiar inventory management and with it the same addicting "Yeah, okay, next time I'm gonna streamline my run even more!" element? The classic RE games were fairly slow and adventure like, but still felt very gamey, arcade-y. Is RE7 more like that, or the sort of "movie" like experience with lots lof scripted events and little interactivity?

It's fairly similar to classic REs like REmake, but there's certainly a number of scripted bits (in place of traditional cutscenes). Most are right from the get go though, so it really only gets to be an annoyance on additional runs.

You can probably get a good 3 or so runs out of it. There is opportunity to streamline your runs in regards to inventory, with two trophies encouraging it. There's a timed trophy, which also has an in-game unlock. Madhouse Mode is a good mixup of the normal game, though sadly the changes are barely noticeable after the first area or so.

BadWolf

When I finished REmake I immediately wanted to replay it again, I still have zero desire to go back to RE7 -_-

To me it's definitely missing that 'something' which made me want to return over and over like I did with the previous games.

Jawmuncher

When I finished REmake I immediately wanted to replay it again, I still have zero desire to go back to RE7 -_-

To me it's definitely missing that 'something' which made me want to return over and over like I did with the previous games.

Same. Unless you want trophies there's really not much feeling to go back (the bonus items are meh), and I do think the scripted sections are part of what hurts it.

OniBaka

Same though I platinum RE7, other than the introduction level with VR it's a forgettable experience.

RSB

Banned

That would suck. Classic style or bust.

Although, yeah, if they were to fuck it up by changing its style, I'd rather have it turned into the style of RE4-6 than the style of RE7, that's for sure.

Jawmuncher

That would suck. Classic style or bust.

Although, yeah, if they were to fuck it up by changing its style, I'd rather have it turned into the style of RE4-6 than the style of RE7, that's for sure.

I think it's something everyone should be prepared for. I'm always a little annoyed when i'm told flat out that it won't happen. This is capcom, I could see them pulling something like that. I don't care which style it's in (I would take first person, but that is the last style I want for a remake).

RSB

Banned
I think it's something everyone should be prepared for. I'm always a little annoyed when i'm told flat out that it won't happen. This is capcom, I could see them pulling something like that. I don't care which style it's in (I would take first person, but that is the last style I want for a remake).
Yeah, totally. All while ignoring such an obvious move as releasing a stand alone Mercs (+Raid) game with RE6 combat mechanics and lots of paid DLC. Classic Capcom.

Brhoom

Banned
So albert from Re4hd fame is saying he contacted Capcom about his project and it's up to them.

Switch port with HD textures here we go!!!

Seriously. A Mercenaries + Raid Mode built on RE 6's gameplay as a base and taking assets from RE 4/5/6/Rev 1/Rev 2/RE 7 and building assets for the rest of the series and building on the mechanics can't possibly be worse received than Umbrella Corps and it's basically a shining example of a way they can do the whole "games as a service" they keep talking about while being a crowd pleaser at the same time. How is it that it hasn't happened yet?

So albert from Re4hd fame is saying he contacted Capcom about his project and it's up to them.

I would legit rebuy RE 4 just to get the HD textures on console.

Why isn't there a Revelations port for PS4? Why isn't there a Mercenaries 3D remaster?

Why is Mercenaries completely abandonned? Where's RE2Make news and will it have any coop/mp modes? Is the 3rd person perspective completely gone from RE games? Where's Jill?

OMG!

Golnei

It'd be amazing if they officially picked up the project for future rereleases, but I wouldn't expect it on the Switch even if they did - it likely wouldn't run well with just the updated environmental textures, the planned overhaul to character models and weapons would make things even more dire.

Akiller

Nakanishi: #RE7 focused on direction. However Capcom does not reject other RE gameplay styles. Maybe they'll come back in the future
Alex Aniel ✈️GDC‏ @cvxfreak 9m
https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/837468001288888320

Sounds good. First Person Style might not even be a lock for RE8, if they decide whatever the new director wants to do is a good fit.

However i dont think the RE6 combat will come back. At best, they'll make a Rev style game as mainline now.

I'll take it i guess

RE4 on the Switch would make it a portable version by default, right? That would be something. I'm honestly kind of surprised a version never came to a handheld in some form. I know there was that weird mobile version, but it wasn't a proper port.

Golnei

RE4 on the Switch would make it a portable version by default, right? That would be something. I'm honestly kind of surprised a version never came to a handheld in some form. I know there was that weird mobile version, but it wasn't a proper port.

The only chance they would have had to do so would have been on the PSP, Vita, or maybe 3DS. Going by Peace Walker, a RE4 port on the former would have required a lot of sacrifices to run, while the Vita was likely never on Capcom's radar due to being the Vita, despite likely being able to run the game. I'm not sure about the 3DS - it's been shown to get decent results with the MT Framework Mobile games which have been released for it, but it might not translate to being able to receive ports easily from RE4's engine - the user profile of the 3DS might be another factor, from things like Revelations 2 not being considered as a 3DS project it seems reasonable that they've decided its demographic might not align with RE's.

AdaWong

IaDC7n0.gif

I still remember when I clicked that counter button and Ada did this. Simmons atrocious boss fights redeemed in an INSTANT.

Top Bottom