• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Leon's campaign was pretty trash until he got to shanghai. The whole tall oaks and church along with the tombs bring in shitty moment after shitty moment.

Forced walking
Trying to be scary
Crap puzzles
Swimming sections
Lame boss fights

I don't know how anyone says his campaign is the best outside those who are just eased to see any semblance of classic re even if it's terrible

The Shanghai levels at least don't try to be anything more than what RE6 actually is. Even if Simmons drags for too long

The forced walking section in the beginning is like 10 minutes and you can always skip right past it on repeat playthroughs. After the somewhat slow but fun university stage you fight your way through the burning city streets, have your big fight in the gun shop, fight your way through the graveyard with zombies constantly jumping at you from all directions that you have to counter, another big brawl in front of the church. The church puzzles afterwards are a bit dumb, but whatever. You then shoot your way through a bunch of zombie corridors and chapter 3 is probably the most gamey chapter of Leon's campaign.

If Leon's Shanghai stages are what RE6 is all about, then it's nothing but cutscenes and QTE sequences. And one very long and heavily scripted bossfight.

And zombies are really fun to fight imo. Fighting them is very counter centric, with how they (And the Bloodshot variant.) come jumping at you. J'avo are only really fun to fight if there are no guns involved.

Jawmuncher

The forced walking section in the beginning is like 10 minutes and you can always skip right past it on repeat playthroughs. After the somewhat slow but fun university stage you fight your way through the burning city streets, have your big fight in the gun shop, fight your way through the graveyard with zombies constantly jumping at you from all directions that you have to counter, another big brawl in front of the church. The church puzzles afterwards are a bit dumb, but whatever. You then shoot your way through a bunch of zombie corridors and chapter 3 is probably the most gamey chapter of Leon's campaign.

If Leon's Shanghai stages are what RE6 is all about, then it's nothing but cutscenes and QTE sequences. And one very long and heavily scripted bossfight.

And zombies are really fun to fight imo. Fighting them is very counter centric, with how they (And the Bloodshot variant.) come jumping at you. J'avo are only really fun to fight if there are no guns involved.

I can see the argument with the zombies. They are pretty fun to fight especially in Mercenaries on the rooftop level. Aside from that though I'm just not a big fan of those sections you mentioned. As for the later two chapter I just think they fit better. Maybe not gameplay wise as you said, but definitely tonally and with the story and not just because they're in Shanghai. It's hard to explain exactly what I mean there.

Regardless it's an interesting thing to see opinions on RE6 since they can vary so wildly even from people who enjoy the game.

I feel it's a matter of pacing. The approach they took with Chris with non-stop shooting from start to finish isn't my cup of tea. I need both the highs and the lows to stay engaged.

I totally get that, and as a big fan of like say Mikami's style of pacing I'm usually totally on board with peaks and valleys, I just think RE6 wasn't very good at handling those valleys.

Regardless it's an interesting thing to see opinions on RE6 since they can vary so wildly even from people who enjoy the game.

That is true. My crazy RE6 opinion of the day? I don't see what the big deal with the slope in Jake chapter 2 is. Like, it's not exactly the most fun segment and you gotta ask Capcom "Why even do that?" but people act like you're going up against a constant barrage of enemies and one hit will send you sliding down, when really, it's a very small group of enemies and they don't respawn and only sniper fire sends you down in one shot...and snipers are easy to spot and take care of. And it's such a short slope.

If not for the hate this section gets on the internet, I probably wouldn't even remember it.

It's short but I still think it's remarkably shitty, but it's in a chapter full of shitty things. Jake 2 has a high claim to worst the game has to offer.

Mr_Zombie

I disagree, Leon's campaign is actually all Helena's story, Leon just tags along to help. From the very start it about getting to and saving her sister, then revenge (which gets dragged out as Simmons refuses to die).

I agree that it's mainly a Helena's story, but she's simply not taking that big part in it. The whole 1st chapter is "Let's go to the cathedral, I'll tell you everything there." Chapter 2 is mostly about Helena and Deborah, so yeah, I'll give you that. Third chapter lacks any story at all, so lets omit it.

Then in chapter 4 Helena steps back and become a non-character. Leon at least interacts with Sherry, Chris and Ada, and half of the chapter is spent on chasing Ada. The Leon - Ada relationship is once again at the front in chapter 5 (to the point Helena spends a huge chunk of the fight against Simmons locked in a tiny room away from the bridge where the Leon & Ada vs Simmons takes place).

It's just that after the end of chapter 2 Helena becomes an irrelevant character. Sure, there's the whole revenge thing going on, but it is overshadowed with other things (mainly the Leon vs Chris conflict over Ada). You could replace her with any random sidekick in chapter 3 and on, and not much would need to be changed script-wise.

Ada in 6 was the worst. "Heh, I'm not telling." taken to it's smug extreme. And her whole "I'm too cool to care." shtick.

I agree. I really hated Ada's monologues in RE6, her constant talking to herself, commenting on everyone and everything.

I had no connection to the characters before hand since RE 6 was my first time actually playing an RE game. I also played as Helena first time through, so it helped that I was playing as the character who was "leading" the wild goose chase. However, I'll agree in retrospect that it was really annoying and odd that Leon would put up with it for so long considering what is going on.

I still like Leon/Helena's campaign the best since it has nothing like Sherry/Jake chapter 2 in it nor shitty vehicle section like Chris/Piers chapter 4. The pacing is a bit off, but I love the atmosphere, the constant change in horror-location type (infected college, infected city, sewers, subway, graveyard, cathedral, secret underground lab, catacombs, etc), and I love the escalation in lunacy in the set pieces. It also had quiet moments which were sorely needed in Chris' campaign rather than being shooting gallery after shooting gallery.

I don't think there are any dead ends; however, a couple of tips to avoid annoyances:

* you will need Hook Shot a couple of times in the third major location, so don't leave it in the train crash area

* before you activate the Observatory (at the end of the second area), I recommend bringing all your items to the Observatory; you will avoid annoying backtracking

* at one point in the game Rebecca will be alone for a long period of time; keep that in mind since I don't remember if Billy leaves his items and weapons once he's gone

Thanks!

I agree. I really hated Ada's monologues in RE6, her constant talking to herself, commenting on everyone and everything.

I really like Ada, but they need to actually do something with the character and her mystery. It's been almost 20 years of teasing on all fronts at this point. The Leon/Ada relationship tease also needs to be resolved because 20 years of teasing just gets goddamn boring and annoying.

Chris was definitely best for me. It knows what the game is and plays to it nonstop. Snake fight one of the best boss fights in the series.

Leon next despite the final chapter being awful and first one with awful start.

Jake next because the middle chapters sucked badly.

Ada worst because it bad points of Jake's plus retreading.

Chris has best story too imo. I disliked Piers but that ending got the feels.

Should of stuck with original idea that every Ada we saw in the series was a different one.

Is there a source for this? That would had made me mad. There can only be one ada.

http://m.uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/16/resident-evil-6-spoiler-filled-developer-interview

Ada part around 4:50, before that talks about killing Chris.

the reason for no multiple Adas was kinda stupid as are several examples of cloning in the series already.

It would have explained why a spy uses the same name repeatedly, despite RE2 Ada announcing she was dropping the Ada persona in RE3's epilogue.

Is it true you can drop items in RE 0's save areas, save, quit, and still have the items in the save room?

Is there a source for this? That would had made me mad. There can only be one ada.

Ada using the same code name for 20 years is beyond dumb. It's to the point where it blows her cover in Damnation (she acts like that's what she planned all along, but a simple search shouldn't be able to blow your cover). Keep the character but have her change names each game.

http://m.uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/16/resident-evil-6-spoiler-filled-developer-interview

Ada part around 4:50, before that talks about killing Chris.

the reason for no multiple Adas was kinda stupid as are several examples of cloning in the series already.

It would have explained why a spy uses the same name repeatedly, despite RE2 Ada announcing she was dropping the Ada persona in RE3's epilogue.

"Ada clones would fight it out. There can only be one" God that sounds so amazingly stupid I want to see it. Adas making alliances with other Adas, multiple Adas fighting each other at the same time, Leon seeing all the Adas.

Voliko

Is Rev2 worth playing? I played 1 this year and thought it was pretty bad. When it came out many fans seemed to push the narrative that it was a good blend of action and survival horror but it just felt like a watered down RE4 and 5 with a bit of pointless exploration. Does Rev2 expand on the combat at all?

Is Rev2 worth playing? I played 1 this year and thought it was pretty bad. When it came out many fans seemed to push the narrative that it was a good blend of action and survival horror but it just felt like a watered down RE4 and 5 with a bit of pointless exploration. Does Rev2 expand on the combat at all?

I think it's by far the best RE since 4.

Golnei

It's still pretty janky in that regard and feels a lot cheaper compared to the numbered games, but it doesn't have a great deal in common with the first Revelations besides it being a budget entry in the series using the same general game mechanics. I'd still advise trying it even if you disliked the first due to that, since it's mostly a different approach to the idea. Just keep your expectations low - definitely don't go in expecting polished combat.

I've enjoyed my playthrough of REV2, but I have no desire to ever play it again.

This was my experience with it too. One and done. I played on release and am curious to do it again but don't think it will happen anytime soon. The game itself and the first really have some weak feeling gunplay. I am curious about its mercs mode though, but once again, weak feeling gunplay imo.

This was my experience with it too. One and done. I played on release and am curious to do it again but don't think it will happen anytime soon. The game itself and the first really have some weak feeling gunplay. I am curious about its mercs mode though, but once again, weak feeling gunplay imo.

Raid Mode is more of an RPG-like grind fest. Combat isn't really fun because characters are soooo slow.

Jawmuncher

It has better combat than Rev 1. It's combat however is still lacking compared to RE4-6. Like others said it's still worth trying out. But go in with lowered expectations. The budget especially sticks out.

I haven't played the first one but I liked Rev 2 a lot. It's definitely weaker than the other action games in terms of mechanics and gunplay though, and it's low budget shows. It does have some cool combat ideas though, like a satisfying dodge mechanic, and you can seamlessly swap between characters to set up melee or spot enemy weakpoints that only one character can see.

I think it's a really well paced adventure that has a fun story, some solid atmosphere, and cool enemies. If you can get around the combat not being all it could be and some other budget constraints it's well worth playing.

Rev2 is a watered down The Last of Us with no exploration at all.

Play Rev 2 for the awesome RE cheese, stay for Raid mode.

Rev2 Raid sucks though. If gonna Raid play Rev1.

qOaG_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Do I need to do a Rev 2 appreciation post like I did for Helena?

I want quality RE not straight to DVD RE

If 6 is quality then I'll stick with the straight to DVD.
The low budget actually worked in its favor. Instead of huge QTE setpieces and janky vehicle sections we actually got a good survival horror game.
It nailed everything, from atmosphere to enemy designs. Pacing is spot on with a great balance between combat, puzzles and exploration. The story is perfect for a RE game, striking the perfect balance between cheesiness and actually being interesting, while adding tons of fantastic references to the classic games, especially with Barry.
I don't see any issues with the gameplay either, the dodge works great, alternating between characters keeps things interesting, controls are perfectly fine, gunplay isn't amazing but it's not bad either.
Considering the state of the franchise I think getting a game that is such a quality RE experience is a blessing and it's completely baffling to me to see hate for it in the community thread of all places.
Thinking it's nothing special is one thing but saying it sucks. Fuck no!

Jawmuncher

Low budget, true. But I counter you with:

http://i.imgur.com/zH50t9C.gifv

The Story (Barring Natalia and Alex) and the CGs are the best things about the game.

The low budget actually worked in its favor. Instead of huge QTE setpieces and janky vehicle sections we actually got a good survival horror game.
It nailed everything, from atmosphere to enemy designs. Pacing is spot on with a great balance between combat, puzzles and exploration. The story is perfect for a RE game, striking the perfect balance between cheesiness and actually being interesting, while adding tons of fantastic references to the classic games, especially with Barry.
I don't see any issues with the gameplay either, the dodge works great, alternating between characters keeps things interesting, controls are perfectly fine, gunplay isn't amazing but it's not bad either.
Considering the state of the franchise I think getting a game that is such a quality RE experience is a blessing and it's completely baffling to me to see hate for it in the community thread of all places.

See that's one of my biggest things with Resident Evil. I don't need to be won over by it "returning to roots" or being a good "survival horror" game. Those are the last things I look for in an RE game. I want a good story that incorporates the series lore (Which Rev 2 does putside what I said above) and offers a decent presentation (Rev 2 is back and forth on this). I didn't feel there was a good balance to what you describe.
Rev 2 is majorly very small linear hubs, so there isn't much exploring to do. The puzzles that are there aren't anything special, and the combat itself is a step down from RE4-6. Only managing to be better than Rev 1. True it's in it's own side series, but being in the 3D realm of RE, I expect better. Being an improvement over Rev 1 isn't much when compared to the series pedigree prior.

Going back to balance you mentioned earlier. I felt it was lacking gameplay wise as well. Either go full horror like RE7 or go action like 6. This middle ground thing doesn't seem to work with only RE4 managing to do it and even that's arguable to some. Trying to please two fanbases especially when your budget is low to me isn't a good idea.

I will say that I don't HATE the game. But Rev 1 and Rev 2 (Despite my lists going to exclude CVX since my complaints there are mainly technical) stand as the lowest points of the mainline franchise to me. Since to me they both fail to offer that perfect middle ground people seem to claim they have.

So yeah Rev 2 isn't bad. But I fully stand that expectations should be kept in check considering what it is at the end of the day.

I will say despite being a series fans. My tastes do tend to stick out from other legacy fans.
Though that's old news at this point.

I agree that Revelations 1 and 2 lack in the gameplay department... which is why Revelations 1 sucks because the story is boring shit as well. Rev 2 does better with gameplay, but is clearly hampered by its budget. But that RE cheese tho. I was grinning ear to ear at points.

Edit: I shouldn't say Rev 1 sucks, but I legit have NO desire to ever play it again, which is a first for RE so far.

Jawmuncher

I agree that Revelations 1 and 2 lack in the gameplay department... which is why Revelations 1 sucks because the story is boring shit as well. Rev 2 does better with gameplay, but is clearly hampered by its budget. But that RE cheese tho. I was grinning ear to ear at points.

The cheese is what I enjoyed most in Rev 2 and RE7. However both games had the bad habit of throwing shitty ideas into th estory where it hurts said cheese

The whole Natalia and Alex mind stuff in Rev and the Eveline Little girl and mind control stuff in RE7 and "we were good guys ethan!" from jack. RE needs to stay away from mind control stuff. Only time it was alright was in RE5 where it was just a small piece

I don't feel Rev2 was trying to please both types of fans at all.
That was Rev1 with those mindless shooting galleries interspersed with Jill's arc.
Rev2 is very consistent with what it wants to be from start to finish.
Puzzles do a great job emulating what was done in the old games without feeling like rip-offs and some locations actually have a decent size.
If you're hung up on fancy graphics and underselling everything the game did right there's not much more I can say.
Survival horror is my favorite genre along with RPGs and RE is one of my favorite franchises and I honestly consider Rev2 a great example of both.

Jawmuncher

I don't feel Rev2 was trying to please both types of fans at all.
That was Rev1 with those mindless shooting galleries interspersed with Jill's arc.
Rev2 is very consistent with what it wants to be from start to finish.
Puzzles do a great job emulating what was done in the old games without feeling like rip-offs and some locations actually have a decent size.
If you're hung up on fancy graphics and underselling everything the game did right there's not much more I can say.
Survival horror is my favorite genre along with RPGs and RE is one of my favorite franchises and I honestly consider Rev2 a great example of both.

I think that's where the disconnect is. I notice the people who see RE7 and REV2 as these high points in the series are those who in essence want an older style gameplay over anything else first. The fact these games try to do more horror stuff was all some needed. Since they needed to be won back over after some titles they disliked.

Despite what some think I like the older titles. However I'm more critical of that style since it takes more to really nail it. REmake/RE1 and RE3 being the best of that lot.

It really is nuts to think that Resident Evil tries to keep in continuity with a title from 20 years ago in which the dev team tried to argue against including a story at all!

Voliko

Thanks guys, interesting perspectives all around. I am glad to hear about the cheese. Rev1 felt like it took itself waaaay too seriously besides the awful comic relief characters.

Rev2 is the only "mainline" game I haven't played yet so might as well give it a shot.

And if I may weigh in on the RE6 rankings from earlier-

Leon>Jake>Chris>Ada

Leon's felt the most well rounded to me. Many cool locations, zombies, varied mechanics and scenarios. Shame the level design was not good overall

RSB

Banned
Yes, it's worth playing for the characters and story IMO. The gameplay is ok I guess, better than Rev1 but still nowhere near as good as RE4-6.

And yeah, like Rev1, it is not a good blend of horror and action. It's still action RE lite, basically.

A shame Raid mode is stuck in games with subpar gameplay. I'm sure I'd love that mode if it had the gameplay of RE6 (or even RE5)

Jawmuncher

You'd think the RE community thread would be a hardcore group of classic fans only or something. But really it's just the hang out spot for those with an open mind.

I like discussing RE and differences/opinions we all have with the series. Without things resulting to "it's shit get out" or "this is right and no other answer" like they do on main side

I might come across strong on my personal opinions. But I understand why others like such things.

You'd never see me throw around something as Audacious as "it's not RE unless it has..."

Only time I do is jokingly when I say suplexes or something

Yeah it's pretty chill here.

What the hell is this?

Helena hate?

REV2 Raid sucks?

Leon's campaign is 6 being the worst?

I don't understand these opinions.

Like any franchise that's existed for over 20 years and has at least 25 titles under the franchise, there's going to be many varying opinions. And like Jaw said, that's welcome in this thread. We give each other some crap, but it's all in good fun!

Just doing some grinding for treasures in RE 5 to unlock some stuff, and something just struck me:

Chapter 3 -1 is Sherry/Jake chapter 2 done right. They're both "find x amount of item y to progress", they both take place in a more open area, and they both require navigation. However, whereas RE 5 uses it to change up the pacing (Chapter 2-3 was a turret section and full of explosions) by having exploration with optional islands and treasures you can get in any order you want, RE 6 just makes it another shooting gallery with the added visibility issue and flying enemies. Also, it actually utilizes a vehicle section well. Unlike with Sherry/Jake ch 2 where visibility is poor and you only have narrow corridors to drive through or Chris/Piers ch 4 where it's a linear chase with poor handling, RE 5 3-1 is open enough that it doesn't matter if the handling isn't 100%. There's no insta-kills, there's no damage if you run into something (at least on Amateur or Normal), and it still handles far better than anything in RE 6.

Yeah that's one of my favorite chapters of the game. Unlike the RE6 level your progression isn't hindered by a bunch of unfun level gimmicks, you can quickly move around with the boat, and each key item is in its own fun little themed zone instead of a sprawling, samey level full of annoyances.

Rev2 not survival horror though. It just a low budget action game.

There is no exploration at all, is entirely linear and puzzles barely exist, those that do can barely be called puzzles and the best example of an actual puzzle gets the clue wrong.

To call the balance of combat, puzzles and exploration 'spot on' is wildly inaccurate.

I'll get into why Rev2 Raid sucks later.

Top Bottom