• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

...like what? It's a nice simple melody that perfectly captures that creaky blend of isolation and comfort that the best save themes have. I dunno how a save theme can have more than that.

I just don't find it memorable like the rest.
Like you won't be humming the RE7 theme to yourself. Obviously that's not a necessary component for everyone, but all of my favorite themes have that.

Then again though we've been over how RE7 sound in general went for more atmospheric over anything else outside go tell aunt rhody

Neiteio

I beat REVII three times in a row (Normal, then Madhouse, then an Easy speed run with unlocks). I love the game, but I honestly don't remember the save room theme. Actually, I don't remember any music outside of Aunt Rhody.

The save theme and the main menu theme are the only pieces that standout since all the rest is sparse atmospheric stuff apart from some forgettable action music towards the end

There's stuff to like about it. Just go in with tempered expectations. It's definitely not free of flaws.

I'll be honest from the start,ever since they announced VII being fPV my expectations already did a swan dive. Luckily the story hasn't been spoiled for me so far but from the few previews I've seen I just didn't see the common thread with re7 to the previous games. Kind of the biggest factor for me. From the outside it looks more spinoff than sequel.

Jawmuncher

I'll be honest from the start,ever since they announced VII being fPV my expectations already did a swan dive. Luckily the story hasn't been spoiled for me so far but from the few previews I've seen I just didn't see the common thread with re7 to the previous games. Kind of the biggest factor for me. From the outside it looks more spinoff than sequel.

The biggest connection it has is with the core gameplay loop. Item boxes puzzles and the like. The rest of the game though can be argued as kind of sitting in that "spin-off" place due to its story. While I'm not a fan of the first person either (not a fan of it). But there is some stuff to like from that gameplay loop if you like the older games.

The biggest connection it has is with the core gameplay loop. Item boxes puzzles and the like. The rest of the game though can be argued as kind of sitting in that "spin-off" place due to its story. While I'm not a fan of the first person either (not a fan of it). But there is some stuff to like from that gameplay loop if you like the older games.

As long as i'm not running away for most of the game. I've seen a bit of the start to get myself a little more hyped for the game. I've seen up to the "Welcome to the family" line. Outside of being a resident evil it does look like a fun game on its on. SO yeah thanks for the advice, i'll keep what you said in mind.

Jawmuncher

As long as i'm not running away for most of the game. I've seen a bit of the start to get myself a little more hyped for the game. I've seen up to the "Welcome to the family" line. Outside of being a resident evil it does look like a fun game on its on. SO yeah thanks for the advice, i'll keep what you said in mind.
The opening of the game is vastly differnt from the rest of the game. You'll have plenty of ammo to work through the enemies. Not RE5 levels. But unless you can't aim at all you'll have more than enough especially by the end.

Definitely let us know how you like it (or don't like it) when you do play it

RSB

Banned
meh, the save room theme in 7 isn't that great to me either, might be the weakest in the series for me.
Yesterday I was listening to a compilation of all the save themes in the series (including even side games like Dead Aim) and yep, definitely the weakest.

Edit: Finally watched Vendetta. It's ok, but Damnation was better IMO. Chris looks weird (although he still looks like Chris at least) Rebecca looks fantastic though, love her new design.

kc44135

RE7 is much more action heavy than the trailers/marketing would have you believe. It's nothing like RE4-6, but there's plenty of combat (there's even boss fights, just like the older RE games), and a heavy focus on resource management. You also never have to run away (outside of one very specific encounter early on). Running is merely an option for you to weigh alongside fighting back, depending on how much ammo you have (and there's plenty).
When we will be getting RE4 on Switch Capcom?

Don't release REmake 2 on Switch, all I ask for is 4.
Lol, never. You'll take that $40 Street Fighter 2 port, and you'll like it!
I'd love to see RE4 (or anything RE related) get brought over to Switch too. Capcom just doesn't seem very interested in the platform at all right now, unfortunately. :(

RE7 is much more action heavy than the trailers/marketing would have you believe. It's nothing like RE4-6, but there's plenty of combat (there's even boss fights, just like the older RE games), and a heavy focus on resource management. You also never have to run away (outside of one very specific encounter early on). Running is merely an option for you to weigh alongside fighting back, depending on how much ammo you have (and there's plenty).

Lol, never. You'll take that $40 Street Fighter 2 port, and you'll like it!
I'd love to see RE4 (or anything RE related) get brought over to Switch too. Capcom just doesn't seem very interested in the platform at all right now, unfortunately. :(

Which is odd because SF2 sold well. They made money there without a doubt.

Jawmuncher

RE7 in 6 months pulls 374K

RE6 in 3 months pulls 821K

Not really surprising when japan buys less games now and in general first person horror is a weak genre there even with the RE name.
There is of course the difference in the amount of systems sold in those time periods. But I still stand by had the game not been First Person (and everything else basically the same) this number could've been higher.

Not really surprising when japan buys less games now and in general first person horror is a weak genre there even with the RE name.
There is of course the difference in the amount of systems sold in those time periods. But I still stand by had the game not been First Person (and everything else basically the same) this number could've been higher.
This could be partially attributed to the general decline of the Japanese console market.

In other news, Capcom's latest financial results are out for financial Q1 2017.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/

And their Platinum list has been updated for June.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

What I find a bit peculiar is how RE6 is the only RE4/5/6 HD trilogy game to sell over a million copies, since RE4 and RE5 are both absent from the list. RE7's sales seem to have slowed quite a bit, but it's plodding along.

Christ RE 7 smashed into a brick wall sales wise. Barely 200k in 3 months?

RE 5 = 5 million+ in 3 months
RE 6 = 5.2 million in 6 months
RE 7 = 3.7 million in 6 months

That's not good.

I assume for most people it just has a bad value proposition. Those fucking banned footage tapes should've been either 1 DLC or included in the base game as unlockables. Contrast it with earlier titles where you get stuff like RAID mode or Mercenaries, not to mention co-op and multiplayer. Madhouse is half-assed as fuck.

While what, already in RE1 you had two different characters, RE2 had zapping system, RE3 had multiple choices + Mercenaries, RE4 had Mercenaries and so on.

Golnei

Going by their previous RE pachislot efforts, wouldn't it be more likely as something recycling Rev 1 and/or 2 assets? That said, I'm surprised Revelations would have enough cachet to even consider it a worthwhile endeavour. They must really be against the development of new content...

strafer

This is amazing to hear.

Jawmuncher

I do agree about the value proposition as well. The game even compared to REmake and RE0 just feels like it has less to offer people for its price.

Then there's also the argument about it being a horror game. A genre which has a lot of people just watching the game on YouTube which doesn't equate a sale.

While there's no real data to back it up, you search for the game and the largest personalities have played through it. You see the game played through once and there's no real reason to play yourself afterwards. Since there's no sort of meaty modes or gameplay to have you jump into the experience yourself.

Going by their previous RE pachislot efforts, wouldn't it be more likely as something recycling Rev 1 and/or 2 assets? That said, I'm surprised Revelations would have enough cachet to even consider it a worthwhile endeavour. They must really be against the development of new content...

Yeah their Pachi Slot Rev is reusing the same stuff.

RSB

Banned

Maybe they'll abandon the new style introduced in RE7, and go back to both classic and action for the next games. That's what I'd do at least.

RE2 Remake in the classic style, followed by a stand alone Mercs + Raid game with that sweet action gameplay. Then they could follow that with the RE3 Remake and RE8 Jake's Suplexing Adventures. Too good to be true isn't it?

What do we know about REmake 2? It feels to me they announced it then nothing.

I'm hoping that instead of just remaking 2, they put 3 there as well. As they take place roughly during the same period and the same place.

Jawmuncher

I'm hoping that instead of just remaking 2, they put 3 there as well. As they take place roughly during the same period and the same place.

All we know is it probably won't be coming out until the end of 2018 at the earliest

Franchise as it currently stands:

Mainline:

RE 0 = 2.65 million (1.25 million GC + 1.4 million HD)

RE 1 = 5.1 million (2.75 original release + 1.2 second release + 1.13 third release)

REmake = 3.25 million (1.35 million GC + 1.9 HD)

RE 2 = 5 million

RE 3 = 3.5 million

Code Veronica = 2.55 million (1.14 million DC + 1.4 million PS2)

RE 4 = 7.6 million (2.3 million PS2 + 2 million Wii + 1.6 million GC + 765K Steam + 900K HD (assumption))

RE 5 = 10.3 to 10.5 million (7.2 million 360/PS3/DL + 2.3 million Gold Edition + 800K to ~1 million HD (assumption))

RE 6 = ~8 million (6.8 million 360/PS3/DL + 1.1 million HD)

RE 7 = 3.7 million

Spin off

Revelations = 2.2 million (1.7 million HD + 500K 3DS (educated guess))

Revelations 2 = 2.2 million

Operation Raccoon City = 2.5 million

Outbreak = 1.45 million

Umbrella Chronicles = 1.3 million

Overall: 78 million

I wonder why they started showing RE5 Gold Edition sales.

With base RE5 numbers going up constantly over the years I just assumed it was with GE sales included.

Cool to have them though. RE5 a beast.

We went in depth on this a couple months back.

That's not happening because despite taking place around the same time the game has two totally separate paths outside of the police station.

Different weapons
totally different way to travel through raccoon city
New weapons
New areas
Dialog that happens in said new areas
etc

I don't see it being feasible to squeeze that in there when it's a totally new game with its own set of areas and rules.

May as well remake that from scratch too instead of piling on dev time for REmake 2 to make that work.

Jawmuncher

The most i'd expect RE2make to have is maybe some more teases towards RE3. So that way when RE3make does happen and you revisit the RPD for that brief time there might be a little more parity than just "I was here in the last game".

That's not happening because despite taking place around the same time the game has two totally separate paths outside of the police station.

Different weapons
New weapons
New areas
etc

I don't see it being feasible to squeeze that in there when it's a totally new game with its own set of areas and rules.

May as well remake that from scratch too instead of piling on dev time for REmake 2 to make that work.

Indeed, there's barely any overlap in terms of locations.

Different weapons
New weapons
New areas
etc

We also went over that it's a remake and they can use whatever areas they want and feature them in both games scenarios, as well as add new ones they can both use.

Mr_Zombie

We also went over Capcom trying to fit what could realisticaly be three separate games into a single game with a gigantic budget and resources. It really didn't go well; and it would certainly be even worse now with Capcom in its current state.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not too worried about RE7. For the record Resident Evil 4 is VERY similar to RE7, it under-performed at the time frame too, RE4 was under development for nearly five years and during the same time frame it managed to sell less than a million copies, and this was after REmake, Zero, and Outbreak had all under-performed as well. Resident Evil 4 sold less than a million copies on Gamecube in the first half a year, the PS2 port moved things along but RE4 still undersold on both during the first year. Resident Evil 4's sales became better by the waiting game, reputation, and various ports. The Wii version went on to sell a lot, as has the 360/PS3 ports, the PC Ultimate HD Edition, longer tails on older systems (the gamecube and PS2 versions kept selling for a good number of years after release). Resident Evil 4 wasn't an initial success but it went on to have a good tail life a little over a year after it had released.

I think RE7 is slated for the same fate, people seem to forget this year has been packed in releases so the slow sales growth currently doesn't surprise me because there's still a lot of shit releasing right now that I think most have to be very selective in what they pick up. That and Resident Evil 7 is still in the phase where people still have prejustices, look in the sales topic and you'll still see people think it's a hide'n'sneak horror game where you can't defend yourself, about it which will clear with time.

Plus with all of this Resident Evil 7 still hasn't had its bigger content rebound yet which is sure to attract both some new attention and sales, as Not A Hero has been delayed until much later and the last DL is still out there, and Capcom have been mostly silent on both of them recently the 'resurgence' of RE7 in media is on the backburner since February in a busy year, but as RE7 was well-received and many liked it in the critical realm they will certainly cover Resident Evil 7's DLC when it comes around.

---

This is a completely different topic not directly linked to RE7, but I'm curious what I can do to help the horror genre as a big horror enthusiast. I think one issue horror games have right now is there's a lot of people who aren't interested in them due to lack of exposure to the genre. This issue will solve itself I think, but let me explain. I think right now horror games are in a second golden age, and they're doing fine but not great either. A big part of this I think is that there was a GIANT lull of horror games for a good half a decade at least, a lot of horror fans you'll find grew up with horror because it's harder to convince adults to try something new and many people have concluded they don't like horror when an adult when more often it's just they got scared as a kid and convinced they hate it now, I went through the same thing and I see a lot of people like this. And I think we're in a period where many of these people didn't grow up with horror games and lack that exposure so most horror fans are in two groups; the old and new wave. You'll notice when talking about horror games most people will talk about older games and a few of the very few newer games which jump at the forefront due to lack of exposure and coverage from gaming media in general, there's a whole second wave of horror games happening right now with several horror game gems released every month essentially, but so many in the gaming mainstream are out of the loop of the genre it's almost saddening.

But I think this problem will solve itself in the next few years, horror games got a LOT of exposure from the YouTube era and the rise of Let's Plays, and many people who are growing up now grew up with all sorts of horror games that were popular with teens as almost every big Let's Player was a horror game let's player in some capacity. So I think while right now there's a sort of 'lull' in new horror fans and exposure there's probably a fairly large audience of people who grew up watching horror games who a portion of those may get more into the genre and playing it themselves in the next few years. Horror currently has a problem due to so few people willing to give the genre a chance honestly due to presumptions they have about it, but I think with a wave of people who grew up with a lot of horror games the scene will change drastically in the next few years.

Resident Evil 7 was a hit with these audiences, so I think it getting re-releases down the line will give it much growth in a similar way as RE4.

Also while RE4 didn't sell great initially, it sold much more down the line, and then Resident Evil 5 benefited a LOT from the good word of mouth and extended sales of RE4. To some extent I imagine RE8 may benefit from this in a similar way as well, and I'm pretty sure Capcom knows that. If you watch how RE games have done, it's almost always the entry after a great success that benefits it. IE, RE2 after RE1, RE5 after RE4, and in its own way you could say RE6 after RE5 (RE6 underperformed but I think a lot of its sales were pushed by co-op and fans of RE5, which was well received and a good game even if not what everyone wanted). Resident Evil 7's sales aren't bad, they might not be up to expectations but they certainly aren't bad, and the positive critical reception and word of mouth I think will help in the long run, and I think RE8 will benefit from RE7 being a good game to many because more will be more positive on RE8 than RE7 pre-release, and say what you will but pre-release coverage does do a lot for a games sales especially in a busy year of releases.

Jawmuncher

As long as capcom from this point on does a better job of catering to their divided fanbase, I don't care what they do. I will say mainline being back to the style RE7 presented. Any sort of action games should be full on action. None of these half measures we got with Revelations.

One whole side of fans basically got everything they want out of RE7. So the other side shouldn't have to put up with games still catering to that crowd. Unless it's some sort of good balance like RE4 which they have only managed once.

I still don't understand why they won't revitalize Dino Crisis. Besides Resident Evil, CapCom doesn't really have other big properties right now of its kind. Plus I think Dino Crisis could be more suitable towards action horror.

Besides, Regina still has to save Dylan's ass.

Fucking CapCom.

Wonder why DC2 flopped so much in comparison to DC1 though.

Aggelos

did Dino Crisis 2 flop so much comparing to the original, or did just the 3rd one flop comparing to the initial two entries combined?
The 3rd one was the black sheep. Without Dino Crisis, Capcom is gonna churn out RE games like a wet hen.
My heart goes out to the Biohazard 2 Remake. The reason being, the setting was correct, the formula was in accord with expected standards, the story was right, the characters were proper, the monsters were suitable (and not exaggerated-preposterous-gigantic out-of-this-planet mutants).

Some free-hand drawings of mine => my rendition for Rebecca Chambers and the 1996 zombie artwork.
Eventually, the logo.
rebeccachanmberslwuxp.jpg

biohazard_zombie_ver11hubv.jpg

colorisedeyeofbiohazaa7u5j.jpg

As long as capcom from this point on does a better job of catering to their divided fanbase, I don't care what they do. I will say mainline being back to the style RE7 presented. Any sort of action games should be full on action. None of these half measures we got with Revelations.

One whole side of fans basically got everything they want out of RE7. So the other side shouldn't have to put up with games still catering to that crowd. Unless it's some sort of good balance like RE4 which they have only managed once.

Good balance? What?

RE4 in no way has a good balance between action and horror.

RSB

Banned

Yep, the group of fans that loves first person horror got everything they wanted with RE7. Meanwhile, fans of the classic and/or action styles have to survive on re-releases and mediocre low budget games.

Does anybody else in here have a really hard time with 3? I don't know what it is but I think I've only finished it on hard once. I'm currently doing a series run through and I'm debating whether to try for a hard playthrough or just settle with easy.

I've finished some of the games that seem to be thought of as more difficult (like 0) on hard or even CVX in general so I'm not sure what I get hung up on with 3.

Jawmuncher

did Dino Crisis 2 flop so much comparing to the original, or did just the 3rd one flop comparing to the initial two entries combined?
The 3rd one was the black sheep. Without Dino Crisis, Capcom is gonna churn out RE games like a wet hen.
My heart goes out to the Biohazard 2 Remake. The reason being, the setting was correct, the formula was in accord with expected standards, the story was right, the characters were proper, the monsters were suitable (and not exaggerated-preposterous-gigantic out-of-this-planet mutants).

Some free-hand drawings of mine => my rendition for Rebecca Chambers and the 1996 zombie artwork.
Eventually, the logo.

Your links aren't working for me:(
Anyway, I tried to look but couldn't really see what the expectations for DC were back then. I'd say though that considering they got to 3. 1 and 2 must've cleared whatever they had labeled. Especially since 1 and 2 cleared a million + units. While DC3 and Dino Stalker never even listed. DC3 being at like 200-300K (same with Dino Stalker) is honestly the high end for those titles if I were to take a guess. Still unsure why they decided on the change. It's been awhile since I bothered looking into DC3. But I recall it was them just wanting to change it for the hell of it. Part of me feels they just didn't want to deal with time travel stuff akin to DC1 and 2 as well as try to capitalize on some sort of trend there must have been at the time. Only idea is Halo or something since the game is set in space with aliens. Even if it plays nothing like that.

Good balance? What?

RE4 in no way has a good balance between action and horror.

Well good balance in that a lot of horror fans still like it. Despite it's heavy action.

Yep, the group of fans that loves first person horror got everything they wanted with RE7. Meanwhile, fans of the classic and/or action styles have to survive on re-releases and mediocre low budget games.

Pretty much, I'm a huge fan of horror and action so I'm good either way but I'm not a fan of first person.

To both of you. The First Person view definitely seems to be the biggest point of contention for a lot of series fans. As well as other regions as well. I almost feel like had the game been third person. It might have cleared that 4 million. Maybe that's very hopeful thinking. But that seems to be the one big negative carried by a lot of people. Even those who enjoyed the game. Unless they played it in VR.

Guess it'll come down to if Capcom see's any worth in keeping the First Person (Which is a predominately western favored style) and the VR userbase they could potentially gain from it. My opinion is they won't and instead opt for more experience stuff like Kitchen. Since it is rather odd that they've made no recent murmurs on VR outside that old report saying they'd like to do more. Unless stuff like the Resident Evil Music Video and Vendetta hallway scene in VR count as that.

Does anybody else in here have a really hard time with 3? I don't know what it is but I think I've only finished it on hard once. I'm currently doing a series run through and I'm debating whether to try for a hard playthrough or just settle with easy.

I've finished some of the games that seem to be thought of as more difficult (like 0) on hard or even CVX in general so I'm not sure what I get hung up on with 3.

I recently played 3 on Hard and it's not that bad outside a few instances. Which are basically related to Nemesis or the Bosses such as grave digger. You can thankfully cheese a good amount of the encounters but of course not all of them. I'd say go for hard and make sure if you make Grenades to make the Freeze Grenades since that does the most damage to nemesis. Hell I think they're the best grenades in general if I recall. Since you'll want them during the clock tower boss fight which IMO was the hardest encounter in the game. Very easy to fuck yourself over in that area. Just keep a few extra save files and you should be fine. Worse comes to worst just hop back on easy and blaze your way through to where you stopped on hard.

Mr_Zombie

Nope. Hard in RE3 is like "Normal" in other games. The game is action oriented and gives you plenty of ammo to easily deal with all enemies. Since RE3 is my most replayable title in the series, I would love for it to have a real Hard difficulty level.

Easy, with its ridiculous starting inventory, is just too easy.

RSB

Banned
To both of you. The First Person view definitely seems to be the biggest point of contention for a lot of series fans. As well as other regions as well. I almost feel like had the game been third person. It might have cleared that 4 million. Maybe that's very hopeful thinking. But that seems to be the one big negative carried by a lot of people. Even those who enjoyed the game. Unless they played it in VR.
The first person perspective and the push for realism with the character designs are easily my two biggest problems with RE7. If the game was third person, and the characters looked like they belong in the same universe as every other RE character, I would like it much more, that's for sure.

I'm perfectly fine with Capcom going back to "horror" with the main franchise (action RE should be kept alive too of course, just not through mediocre games like Revelations) but if RE7 is the formula they're gonna use going forward... eww, no thanks. Give me third person perspective (preferably with fixed camera angles, although OTS would be acceptable I guess) and cool stylized character designs (not boring and realistic)

Top Bottom