• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nope. Hard in RE3 is like "Normal" in other games. The game is action oriented and gives you plenty of ammo to easily deal with all enemies. Since RE3 is my most replayable title in the series, I would love for it to have a real Hard difficulty level.

Easy, with its ridiculous starting inventory, is just too easy.

I'd say RE3 is harder than RE2 on Hard at least. Some of the battles are difficult even with more supplies, and some segments with more enemies.

I'd say RE3 is harder than RE2 on Hard at least. Some of the battles are difficult even with more supplies, and some segments with more enemies.

I'm inclined to agree. The game gives you a more mobile character (which makes sense considering Jill backgruond and past experience with BOWs) but also throws more enemies at you. And Nemesis. The guy has a rocket launcher! And going through a door will not actually save you from him.

Jawmuncher

Did the RE5 Mercenaries Meta change? For Mercs United all of the top spots are Heavy Metal Chris. I recall back in the day it was Midnight Wesker wasn't it?

Did the RE5 Mercenaries Meta change? For Mercs United all of the top spots are Heavy Metal Chris. I recall back in the day it was Midnight Wesker wasn't it?

United uses the Reunion ruleset where time at end of game not as important to score. In standard RE5 Mercs time was very important.

Wesker had strong and fast melee that killed, others will kill melee were much slower. Chris with chaingun can just kill megafast (also helps with mutated enemies which Reunion had more of).

I've not actually played more than one or two rounds of United Mercs, as someone who once topped RE5 Mercs leaderboards I should maybe give it a try. Or not. It so boring to play like that.

Jawmuncher

Some free-hand drawings of mine => my rendition for Rebecca Chambers and the 1996 zombie artwork.
Eventually, the logo.
rebeccachanmberslwuxp.jpg

biohazard_zombie_ver11hubv.jpg

colorisedeyeofbiohazaa7u5j.jpg

These look great!

Jawmuncher

I have a request:

Please post your coolest RE6 action gifs

Thank you

Didn't wanna load up the thread so I'll just link to them. A lot of them were done by Seyavesh and are in the RE6 has good animation thread

Chris Throw
http://i.imgur.com/R0zq5Li.gif

Jake Throw
jsGWqyC.gif

Jake Grasshopper Counter
http://i.imgur.com/JZiGm2G.gif

Chris Punch
http://i.imgur.com/TdrRCjK.gif

Chris Head Smash
http://i.imgur.com/WLq3ktk.gif

Leon Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/PzHCmUo.gif

Jake Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/9mRiwTE.gif

Leon Behind Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/4yXtdmg.gif

Ada Backflip
http://i.imgur.com/CrMIhQM.gif

A good Claire mod showing off some moves
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=150048611

If I could find a good GIf I'd include Jake vs Ustanak as well

Its been a while since we heard anything on the RE2 REmake. I wonder when we will see a trailer for it. PSX? What do you guys/gals think?

Aggelos

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Jesus Christ, that franchise sales topic. I make an innocuous post about action game players being left behind just like horror game players were before and I get told that I have an axe to grind with old titles? And that's it's good that people are left behind.

Sometimes I forget how great the RE fanbase is.

Jawmuncher

Jesus Christ, that franchise sales topic. I make an innocuous post about action game players being left behind just like horror game players were before and I get told that I have an axe to grind with old titles? And that's it's good that people are left behind.

It's the same issue I had with the the Resident Evil Reddit until recently. Capcom is to blame for causing the shift in the first place, but fans don't make it easy. Though all things considered with how capcom handles things we're all just sitting here like "what is their plan for the series going forward"

I used to be part of the old guard as well. I remember when RE4 came out, I openly advocated against it without having even played the game, lol.

Anyway, these days I enjoy both flavors, and find the old guard pretty irritating.

That thread and the other Capcom thread just makes me realize that Capcom doesn't milk the fanbase enough or even correctly.
The fanbase and brand recognition is there but they do such a poor job working it.

Not only can they release rehashed Mercenaries or Raid stand alone they could milk costumes and characters forever but they just don't do it.

ORC was actually successful but then they try the halfassed Umbrella Corps

Just using REV2 as an example I would personally buy Rebecca for Raid for around $5~ and then i'd separately buy a few costumes for her(STARS Red, Wesker's photo)
I'd buy Chris and Jill's STARS outfits

I'd pay $10 each for Jill, Barry, Rebecca, Wesker and Claire in 6's Mercenaries.
I'd buy costumes for 6's Mercenaries.

RootCause

So did Capcom ever explain why they created a new mode for zero, but nothing on REmake? Would've loved to play as Wesker in the mansion.

I used to be part of the old guard as well. I remember when RE4 came out, I openly advocated against it without having even played the game, lol.

Anyway, these days I enjoy both flavors, and find the old guard pretty irritating.

Seeing as he's directly referencing me on that post. Let me make it clear. I have nothing against the action direction. I've said it a million times. I consider RE4 the greatest game ever made, and it was a great decision by Capcom to refresh the series. I've yet to play an RE game I didn't have fun with. My problem is with people saying the series is failing because they're focusing on the horror direction. And that they should abandon that base. Or claiming that a certain fanbase has a more legitimate claim to having games go in the direction they like. As I said, id rather they split the series, or alternate between releases , and keep both fanbase happy.

Well, I'm a pretty easy going person, and have not interest in fighting over this. But you could've said this to me on the other thread. If what I said was offbase, then apologize.
Also, maybe you're talking about someone else, but just in case, I never claimed that they should be left behind. Nor is it a good idea for the health of the franchise.

That thread and the other Capcom thread just makes me realize that Capcom doesn't milk the fanbase enough or even correctly.
The fanbase and brand recognition is there but they do such a poor job working it.

Not only can they release rehashed Mercenaries or Raid stand alone they could milk costumes and characters forever but they just don't do it.

ORC was actually successful but then they try the halfassed Umbrella Corps

Mercenaries/Raid mode standalone game would be amazing.

RSB

Banned

Yep, the "action RE shouldn't even exist" part of the fanbase is the worst.

RootCause

REmake was first and kind of a test, just look at

Speaking of Zero's DLC costumes

Man I love the red STARS costume for Rebecca for some reason.

Yeah, the difference in new content is night, and day.
That's my favorite costume too.

Yep, the "action RE shouldn't even exist" part of the fanbase is the worst.
I haven't seen that fanbase. I know there's a group that hates RE6 to death, but 4, and 5 are mostly liked by both fanbase.

RSB

Banned
I've been replaying REmake on Xbox One (yeah, I bought it on Xbox One too, don't judge me) and damn, it's still so good. Timeless masterpiece.

The RE2 Remake better be in the classic style, because if they turn into the style of RE7 or some shit...

I haven't seen that fanbase. I know there's a group that hates RE6 to death, but 4, and 5 are mostly liked by both fanbase.
Lucky you, because they exist and they are awful. They're even worse than the "Action RE is not RE" part of the fanbase.

Jawmuncher

RE5 was the poster child of bad for being action until RE6 came out. Then it went to a bit of a Zelda cycle and more people like it now.

The worst RE fans are the ones who insist RE4 is survival horror and use phrases like "RE1-4 were great survival horror games, then RE5 ruined it"

RootCause

I've been replaying REmake on Xbox One (yeah, I bought it on Xbox One too, don't judge me) and damn, it's still so good. Timeless masterpiece.

The RE2 Remake better be in the classic style, because if they turn into the style of RE7 or some shit

Do you think they'll go for prerendered bg, if they go the classic route?

RootCause

YUP, thats the one that gets me the most.
Or calling 5/6 dumb for adding enemies with guns and glossing over that 4 had it as well.
5 has more in common with 4, than 6. Though complaining about armed enemies is silly, considering all three had them. And it makes sense plot wise. I mean, The organizations didn't spend tons of money, for shuffling corpses.

RSB

Banned
Do you think they'll go for prerendered bg, if they go the classic route?
Probably not.. Real time 3d graphics for everything seems more likely.

Personally, I'd prefer pre-rendered backgrounds, but after playing Until Dawn, I think real time would be fine too.

Neiteio

I mean, how much would prerendered help nowadays when open world games look like this:

niKU6h8.gif

8K textures? Ultra Realistic? Easier 60 fps? I'm seriously asking.
Horizon would look so much better if everything didn't have the garish neon color tint. I get they were going for the color-adjusted nature doc look, but it doesn't look natural. Just hurts my eyes.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So did Capcom ever explain why they created a new mode for zero, but nothing on REmake? Would've loved to play as Wesker in the mansion.

Seeing as he's directly referencing me on that post. Let me make it clear. I have nothing against the action direction. I've said it a million times. I consider RE4 the greatest game ever made, and it was a great decision by Capcom to refresh the series. I've yet to play an RE game I didn't have fun with. My problem is with people saying the series is failing because they're focusing on the horror direction. And that they should abandon that base. Or claiming that a certain fanbase has a more legitimate claim to having games go in the direction they like. As I said, id rather they split the series, or alternate between releases , and keep both fanbase happy.

Well, I'm a pretty easy going person, and have not interest in fighting over this. But you could've said this to me on the other thread. If what I said was offbase, then apologize.
Also, maybe you're talking about someone else, but just in case, I never claimed that they should be left behind. Nor is it a good idea for the health of the franchise.

Mercenaries/Raid mode standalone game would be amazing.

Sorry if it seems I went to talk about you behind your back or anything. I did respond to you after you said I had an "axe to grind" against classic RE. I clarified that having such disparate gameplay styles, you will never be able to please both fanbases with the same product.

I never claimed the series was failing because they went with a more classic style RE, as well.

Sorry if I came off hostile or flippant or whatever. I guess I was being a bit glib with the gif post, but I don't think I portrayed myself as someone with a distaste in old RE games.

Also, it was someone else that said that it was good that others were left behind.

Didn't wanna load up the thread so I'll just link to them. A lot of them were done by Seyavesh and are in the RE6 has good animation thread

Chris Throw
http://i.imgur.com/R0zq5Li.gif

Jake Throw
jsGWqyC.gif

Jake Grasshopper Counter
http://i.imgur.com/JZiGm2G.gif

Chris Punch
http://i.imgur.com/TdrRCjK.gif

Chris Head Smash
http://i.imgur.com/WLq3ktk.gif

Leon Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/PzHCmUo.gif

Jake Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/9mRiwTE.gif

Leon Behind Finisher
http://i.imgur.com/4yXtdmg.gif

Ada Backflip
http://i.imgur.com/CrMIhQM.gif

A good Claire mod showing off some moves
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=150048611

If I could find a good GIf I'd include Jake vs Ustanak as well

I have been looking for that Chris throw gif for ever lol.

Thanks.

RE5 lacked something from 4 although it's still a good game.

6 was bloated but in terms of the action it's among the best in the series of 4-6. I think as an RE game it was bad but if you just take it for what it is it can be an enjoyable experience.

I mean, how much would prerendered help nowadays when open world games look like this:

niKU6h8.gif

8K textures? Ultra Realistic? Easier 60 fps? I'm seriously asking.

I haven't played Horizon, but I doubt the game looks *that* good. The dude who made those gifs also did a bunch of Nier Automata gifs and there was some heavy post processing going on. Made the game look way better than it actually did.

Zambatoh

I haven't played Horizon, but I doubt the game looks *that* good. The dude who made those gifs also did a bunch of Nier Automata gifs and there was some heavy post processing going on. Made the game look way better than it actually did.

You'd be surprised. Even on the baseline PS4 model, the game manages to pull off tech demo quality visuals.

Both the Decima and Unreal 4 are putting in some serious work this generation.

Voliko

I recently replayed REmake and accidently played it on normal instead of whatever is higher. Didn't realize you had to load up a cleared save... Only played it once before that with Jill so I played as Chris this time. For some reason the first time I played it I completely ignored the body burning mechanic which made for a better experience imo. This time was a lot easier. Chris's smaller inventory is more of an annoyance than anything else. Jill is way cooler, don't think I will play as Chris on subsequent replays.

Also can't adequately put into words how good the prerendered backgrounds are. Oozing with style and pure artistry. Damnit I wish there were more games with them. I think I've played the majority at this point.

Nobody knows. All we got Is expect later than summer
Only reason why I haven't sold my copy of RE7 yet. Congratulations Capcom

Peroroncino

Guys, what are the criteria to costume unlocks in RE6 PS4 version? Just finished all campaigns, dabbled a little in mercs before going back to campaings on pro because I have no idea what to do other than S ranking everything with every chacater, but that alone just gave me EX1 costumes, what about EX2 and Poly-models?

Jawmuncher

Guys, what are the criteria to costume unlocks in RE6 PS4 version? Just finished all campaigns, dabbled a little in mercs before going back to campaings on pro because I have no idea what to do other than S ranking everything with every chacater, but that alone just gave me EX1 costumes, what about EX2 and Poly-models?

This is what I got from here. There's no 100% confirmed list though.

[EX1 Costumes]

As with the PS3 version, EX1 costumes are unlocked by getting an A rank or better in Mercenaries with the character in question.

[EX2 Costumes]

Leon - Survivors | Something to do with getting a Winning Streak (five or more victories in a row)
Helena - Onslaught | Play 20 matches to obtain the costume
Chris - Survivors | Something to do with getting a Winning Streak
Piers - Onslaught | Obtain the "Defeated your Opponent by running out of time" medal(?) OR Send opponent 1000 enemies?
Jake - Onslaught | Obtain 10 "Won by defeating opponent" medals (Note: Not sure what the actual English wording for this medal is, but it refers to when you win the match by way of the opponent DYING, as opposed to a time-out win.)
Sherry - Onslaught | Obtain the "Defeated your Opponent by running out of time" medal(?) OR Send opponent 1000 enemies?
Ada - Survivors | Something to do with getting a Winning Streak OR Survivors Death Match | Get 1st place five times

[EX3 Costumes]

Leon - Predator | Defeat the Ustanak 5 times
Helena - Predator | Defeat the Ustanak 10 times
Chris - ??? [UPDATE: I just unlocked Chris. I think it's because I reached 20 Agents Defeated in Predator.]
Piers - [UPDATE: Latest word from the Japanese user says 50 Agent kills in Predator will unlock the Piers EX3]
Jake - Predator | Play 10 games OR Siege | Something to do with being an "Ace Bodyguard" (i.e., protecting the BSAA agent without letting him take ANY damage)
Sherry - Predator | Play 20 games? OR Play each stage at least once?
Ada - Predator | Get 1st place 5 times

I find the Rebecca situation amusing. Capcom didn't really think things through with that one. :p

Even if you disregard the juxtaposition with her role in 0, they really didn't know what to do with her in the Remake. In the original she was kinda supposed to be the comic relief character, or maybe not exactly comic relief, but you know, she was kinda something like RE's Yuffie.

Of course that's pretty dumb so they toned in down in the Remake, but I don't think they knew what to do with her instead, so she's just kinda there as far as her role in the story is concerned.

Finished Resident Evil 7 for the first time a few days ago. I actually really enjoyed it - my gut reaction is to say it's better than almost all of the fixed-camera games, but not sure that'll hold up.

I really enjoyed the combat, which is why I'm glad I was able to start on Madhouse - the classic Resident Evil games tend to be a little on the easy and simple side, which I think really harms the resource management and survival elements. But 7 was pretty consistently challenging throughout; every encounter was tense and ammo management was always critical (even if inventory management wasn't, compared to the originals). I think the bosses were generally very good too - Mia, Jack 2, and especially Marguerite 2 were pretty excellent fights. I might go so far as to say that 7 had the best lineup of bosses in the franchise, honestly (even if there were some weak ones like Marguerite 1 and Eveline).

I think there were a few weak spots. The game felt a little weirdly-balanced difficulty-wise, which might be a result of me having only played on Madhouse - Molded kind of felt like damage sponge enemies (for how dodgey they are, you would expect headshots to be more effective than they are - especially against the four-legged molded who just kind of fuck you over if you don't spawn-kill them every time they appear). (On the subject of the Molded, they're pretty boring visually, and yeah, the fact that there are only like four types and they serve as the only non-boss or non-stalker enemies for the entirety of the game is disappointing. Definitely one of the game's weaker bits.) And the environments you go through were seriously small - massively less complex than anything you deal with in the classic games. Puzzles were still pretty satisfying and the game did a good job of mixing up enemy locations so that backtracking never felt boring, but it feels like the entire game has about as much space in it as, like, the police station of RE2 or the initial mansion bit in RE1.

Also, stalkers were really, really underutilized. Jack is absolutely fantastic - but you only deal with him twice outside of boss fights, and only in very limited areas. Then Marguerite is just a walking bug turret and... that's it. Feels like some serious wasted potential.

I think the game was overall pretty great still, but I do think that there's some serious room for improvement. If the enemies felt a little more finetuned and if the stages you traverse were comparable in complexity and size from the classic games, I think RE7 could be a real masterpiece - so if this acts as the blueprint for future RE games, I hope they do a good job of expanding on it. Admittedly I still would have preferred a refinement of RE6 as the next main game in the series, but I'm pretty happy with RE7.

I'm going to go back and replay the original RE1. I've never actually played through advanced / arrange mode with Chris, only Jill, so I think that sounds like an interesting challenge.

Orb

Nah man.

5 > 4.

Good opinions

Bara chris best chris

sheva best best

recently just read through docs in RE7 again and
uh??? Did the dlc retcon the docs lol? Documents paint the bakers as changing gradually over time, but the dlc literally has them turn crazy within MINUTES of Eveline showing up.

Top Bottom