• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

You know, I was remembering RE Revelations first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTn7buZlIg

... and was wondering why it has nothing to do with the final game. Was the story changed somehow? Or was it never meant to be like that?
They must have changed the plot after the initial reveal, since nothing in that trailer made it in the final game (only Chris's mannekin IIRC).

And Jill had a better face and was still voiced by Patricia Ja Lee

LOL the TechTv thread got me watching old Xplay and Gamespot TVs,
just came across the Code Veronica review in which Adam Sessler declared it the best of the franchise at the time.

Time has been harsh to CV.

The thing I remember most about CV was that it just felt too long. It was an okay game the first time through but I've zero desire to ever play it again. Plus Steve is just insufferable and the forced romance is just blah.

You know, I was remembering RE Revelations first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTn7buZlIg

... and was wondering why it has nothing to do with the final game. Was the story changed somehow? Or was it never meant to be like that?

Changed. Overlapped with RE6 in some plot points (doppleganger, hero Vs hero) which possible caused the change. Some of it made purely for the trailer though. Original story was meant to delve into a secret about Jill's past.

Changed. Overlapped with RE6 in some plot points (doppleganger, hero Vs hero) which possible caused the change. Some of it made purely for the trailer though. Original story was meant to delve into a secret about Jill's past.
Is there some info about the original story out there? (Maybe books, interviews, etc)

It would be interesting to know more about the plot that was planned at first for the game.

Do you mind giving a source? Sounds interesting.

I believe it was a Kawata interview where some dropped ideas and plans were mentioned. I think other things mentioned were something in the distance at sea of the beach level that you could later travel to and campaign co-op which was dropped and turned into Raid mode instead.

I tried googling but cannot find it.

I believe it was a Kawata interview where some dropped ideas and plans were mentioned. I think other things mentioned were something in the distance at sea of the beach level that you could later travel to and campaign co-op which was dropped and turned into Raid mode instead.

I tried googling but cannot find it.
I was looking forward to the info hahah.
I'll try to look into some interview.

A month away until TGS, hopefully we'll get news about the franchise.

Yo, I'm kinda doing another playthrough of RE6's campaigns until Yakuza Kiwami comes out and why did no-one ever tell me that you can order your AI partner to actively engage the enemy with melee and Coup de Grace attacks, using the "Move" command. Great when you stunned an enemy but your combat gauge is nearly empty or you want to deal double melee damage to big enemies.

Yo, I'm kinda doing another playthrough of RE6's campaigns until Yakuza Kiwami comes out and why did no-one ever tell me that you can order your AI partner to actively engage the enemy with melee and Coup de Grace attacks, using the "Move" command. Great when you stunned an enemy but your combat gauge is nearly empty or you want to deal double melee damage to big enemies.

That whole game is a friggin horror story of "Why didn't I know about X and Y mechanic"

It's truly appalling that Capcom made such a unique combat loop, but didn't bother to explain it at all.

Ludens

Banned
RE7 dlcs are very crappy and I regret my Gold purchase, they are way too expensive for what they offer, in a game with no additional modes when previous chapters had ton of stuff to unlock. I hope at least the PT-like and free dlcs will be good, but I honestly doubt about Chris campaign to be something worthy, otherwise Capcol would charge for it.

Zambatoh

RE7 in general just seems like it was rushed out the door before it was ready.
They spent so much time on getting the new engine and the VR component to work that they barely had time to slap together a decent game.

Jawmuncher

Can't really even blame capcom to a point. They absolutely needing something out this year considering the last 4 years had basically just been ports and SFV. Hopefully RE2make isn't rushed.

RE7 in general just seems like it was rushed out the door before it was ready.
They spent so much time on getting the new engine and the VR component to work that they barely had time to slap together a decent game.

This is why unless it's a VR game from scratch and or they don't have the management to do both it should always take a backseat.

After having played 3 again for the first time in a few years, I have to say my opinion on the PS1 games has basically entirely flipped around. I used to rank them like 2 > 1 > 3, but now it's more like 1 > 3 > 2. Not sure why 3 didn't grab me when I first played it - it still gives you a bit too much ammo for the kind of game it is (why I think RE1, when played as Chris, is the best of the PS1 games) but it certainly has tighter ammo constraints than RE2, Nemesis is more interesting than Mr. X (although admittedly I almost never defeated him outside of his boss battles - at least he's not a pushover like Mr. X), the added challenge compared to RE2 is welcome, the branching paths and the variability the gunpowder system offers are more interesting than the two-scenario setup RE2 gives you - it's hard for me to think of anything RE2 does better than 3 minus presentational elements (I do like the setting and storyline of 2 more, I guess). And having played all the games plus the remake shortly after having played 7, I have to go back on my initial assessment of that game - RE7 is fantastic but it definitely isn't as good as RE1, 2, 3, or REmake. The pared-down environments and lessened emphasis on inventory management outweigh 7's much-appreciated level of challenge (on Madhouse, at least).

Replaying 5 for the first time in a few years too. Always excellent - really love how its inventory system shines in co-op.

Aggelos

and a free-hand observational drawing of mine for Chris Redfield as depicted in RE Vendetta
Go Chris!!

img_20170823_chrisredngsel.jpg

Tried some Dead Aim and shit is legitimately creepy. The zombies remind me more of shibitos, especially that female zombie groan. Damn. I dig the interiors a lot more than Zenobia of Revelations, too.

Gradon

The bosses of Dead Aim really creep me out, I dunno if it's the atmosphere during them or all of the sound design but they just make me feel really unsettled.

Rewatched some of the live action stuff again. I simply cannot believe how badly they adapted the Wesker fight in Retribution.

Movie from 2012:

resident_evil__afterlife_albert_wesker_by_trapper11747-d4n41tj.gif

J8DpFy.gif

W7MPmh.gif

vs.

Game from 2009:

latest

3951618-7781871646-37842.gif

Being unwise and starved with money back in the day, plus having never watched a previous RE movie, I saw Afterlife in theaters for the sole purpose of seeing the Wesker fight.

I had to re-evaluate my priorities that day.

Those movies... I only watched them to have a good laugh.

Still nothing on RE7 DLC huh? I'm gonna wait until TGS, if it doesn't show up there then its dead.
People have said that we should wait until later (November - December maybe)
Since Capcom didn't like how the DLC turned out, they must still working on it.

Voliko

Finally got around to Rev2. I was pleasantly surprised by this game but not wowed.

The game's central feature, the partner system, isn't interesting. Stunning enemies with Moira's light and following up with a melee from Claire is fine, but it wouldn't be any different if there was only one playable character with a stun technique, or if Barry could sense enemies through walls. The two character system and their unique attributes makes more sense for co-op but I can't imagine the co-op being very compelling. In single player it is more of a nuisance than anything, especially scanning the environment for items, but the conversations between the two characters help justify it I guess.

The shooting doesn't feel satisfying, but it is serviceable. I liked the structure of the game, it felt mostly linear but with a few more open ended areas here and there. The levels themselves are pretty well designed for the most part and there are some legitimately great sections. The enemy variety was actually pretty decent, especially considering the last 2 RE games I have played are Rev1 and RE7. I played on survival mode or whatever is above normal, and it felt nicely balanced most of the time, although there was a bit too much ammo in the last chapters.

In classic RE fashion, the final final boss fight was pretty stupid but the cutscenes were a nice touch. The story and characters are OK, better than most of the rest of the series. Overall I think this was a solid entry. Huge improvement over Rev1 and I had a better time with it than RE7. Don't think I will ever replay it though. Still debating whether or not to play the side stories. I hope there is a Rev3
or RE2 remake is third person action :^)

xrnzaaas

Just started playing REmake on the PS4 and man it's much harder than I remember. I last played it maybe 10 years ago on PC (and originally on PSX), but I don't remember it being so difficult. Had to switch from normal to easy for my first "remembering the mansion layout & puzzle solutions" playthrough. :)

RSB

Banned
Just started playing REmake on the PS4 and man it's much harder than I remember. I last played it maybe 10 years ago on PC (and originally on PSX), but I don't remember it being so difficult. Had to switch from normal to easy for my first "remembering the mansion layout & puzzle solutions" playthrough. :)
That's normal. I did the same thing when I played REmake HD. Two or three playthroughs later I was already unlocking the Infinite RL (after beating the game in 2h10m on Normal) Replaying REmake when you know what you're doing is SO much fun.

Top Bottom