• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

I'm going to go back and replay the original RE1. I've never actually played through advanced / arrange mode with Chris, only Jill, so I think that sounds like an interesting challenge.

I've said this a couple of times over the years, but RE1 Director's Cut's Arranged Mode as Chris is my favorite version of RE1.

Good opinions

Bara chris best chris

sheva best best

recently just read through docs in RE7 again and
uh??? Did the dlc retcon the docs lol? Documents paint the bakers as changing gradually over time, but the dlc literally has them turn crazy within MINUTES of Eveline showing up.

It's best to not focus on RE7, so many plot holes and inconsistencies.

Voliko

Yeah the enemy variety really brings it down for me. My biggest problems with the game are that, environments could be more expansive (they should have at least had something on the level of the mansion in REmake, especially considering they went back to trying to be "survival horror"), and the characters are kinda boring besides Jack. Everything past the first area feels too linear, which is pretty much a problem with all the classic games. A lot of missed potential but still a decent game in my book.

The stalker enemies just made me wish for a new Clock Tower game on the level of Haunting Ground... hnnng

I've said this a couple of times over the years, but RE1 Director's Cut's Arranged Mode as Chris is my favorite version of RE1.

I'm enjoying it so far.

Quick question to anyone who knows - is there a benefit to defeating Yawn in your first encounter with it in the original RE1, or is it always better just to run?

Everything past the first area feels too linear, which is pretty much a problem with all the classic games.

I feel this way too, to a degree. RE2 and 3 definitely have stretches that just feel like combat gauntlets (especially RE2), which doesn't really play to their strengths at all. Even if RE7 isn't especially well-balanced (and even if it's still massively inferior to 4, 5, and 6 in terms of combat mechanics), it's more interesting as an action game than the classic titles, though, so I feel like even in very linear, guided areas like Lucas's shack or the mines, the game worked fairly well (better than, like, everything between the police station and lab in RE2). I do think the ship area was pretty great, though - that one was late in the game but still felt like a solid, reasonably large, well-designed area with a good balance between challenging combat and classic RE "routing". Probably the best part of the game beyond the initial thrill of dealing with Jack, probably.

I'm enjoying it so far.

Quick question to anyone who knows - is there a benefit to defeating Yawn in your first encounter with it in the original RE1, or is it always better just to run?

No benefit at all, you get nothing for beating her and she always has the same amount of health in the second encounter, no matter what.

Though I do think that in the original, non-Arranged Mode RE it's easier to avoid taking damage by defeating her, than it is by trying to run from her. It still takes a lot of luck to completly avoid getting bit in the original, and while she only takes like 4 shotgun shells in Original mode, it's quite a few more in Arranged mode, so I'd run.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is a weird, random, unimportant thought, but I think it'd be cool if a Resident Evil title went into full conspiracy mode due to the recent raising of awareness of stupidity on the actual planet. The main backbone villain of the series, Albert Wesker, had that as his whole spill about creating ultimate life, the world requires judgement, etc. As that's a perfect platform to explore some of the real world going ons as it's maybe more felt today with idiotic movements and more light shed on ignorance and hate than the last decade, I'd be intrigued if an entry explored that. It's gotten a bit close with 'freedom fighters' and such in some of the side roles, but I'm just imagining if there was some kind of "Wesker Was Right" group or cult or something.

Weird thoughts and I doubt it'll ever happen, but I was thinking about that for some reason since I think Wesker's villain arc is more relevant currently due to raised awareness and exposure than it was when it was actually happening in the series, and there's interesting stuff a RE game could explore I think, despite the series story obviously being B-ish and off-the-rails quite often.

Neiteio

This is a weird, random, unimportant thought, but I think it'd be cool if a Resident Evil title went into full conspiracy mode due to the recent raising of awareness of stupidity on the actual planet. The main backbone villain of the series, Albert Wesker, had that as his whole spill about creating ultimate life, the world requires judgement, etc. As that's a perfect platform to explore some of the real world going ons as it's maybe more felt today with idiotic movements and more light shed on ignorance and hate than the last decade, I'd be intrigued if an entry explored that. It's gotten a bit close with 'freedom fighters' and such in some of the side roles, but I'm just imagining if there was some kind of "Wesker Was Right" group or cult or something.

Weird thoughts and I doubt it'll ever happen, but I was thinking about that for some reason since I think Wesker's villain arc is more relevant currently due to raised awareness and exposure than it was when it was actually happening in the series, and there's interesting stuff a RE game could explore I think, despite the series story obviously being B-ish and off-the-rails quite often.
I love you Dusky, but I don't trust RE to handle compelling social commentary on important issues. Although they'll probably try anyways. RE4 laid on the 9/11-era terrorist stuff pretty thick, i.e. Saddler talking about how America can't police the world, etc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I love you Dusky, but I don't trust RE to handle compelling social commentary on important issues. Although they'll probably try anyways. RE4 laid on the 9/11-era terrorist stuff pretty thick, i.e. Saddler talking about how America can't police the world, etc.

I should clarify I bet it'd be in the cheesy RE way, RE4 was in several ways the RE series response to terrorist attacks and the American worldview, very true. The RE universe is it's own (cheesy) thing, just thinking on it they haven't really done a whole lot with Wesker's death (outside of Alex Wesker really trying to step up to the plate), and I think there's ample opportunity for them there.

I'm sure even if they tried to be serious it wouldn't quite come out that way though.

I think the first Resident Evil (the original, not just the GameCube version) is probably better than the second game, actually. 2 adds a lot of great improvements (enemies having less weird invincibility frames, lickers, nicer button mappings, faster text, significantly better presentation) but after replaying both games back to back just now, I think 2 ends up being dragged down by its decreased difficulty, and the huge amount of ammo it showers you in. The Chris Arrange mode playthrough I did really illustrated just how brightly RE1 shines when you have to make the most out of all your supplies (something that the classic Resident Evils don't really promote, I don't think they're as difficult as they could be), and although RE2 is probably a more "good-feeling" game in general, it loses that.

RE1 does end on a wet fart no matter what though. The laboratory is kind of a weird, sedate way to end the game, and it's a bit disappointing that the remake didn't do much to jazz it up.

I think the first Resident Evil (the original, not just the GameCube version) is probably better than the second game, actually. 2 adds a lot of great improvements (enemies having less weird invincibility frames, lickers, nicer button mappings, faster text, significantly better presentation) but after replaying both games back to back just now, I think 2 ends up being dragged down by its decreased difficulty, and the huge amount of ammo it showers you in. The Chris Arrange mode playthrough I did really illustrated just how brightly RE1 shines when you have to make the most out of all your supplies (something that the classic Resident Evils don't really promote, I don't think they're as difficult as they could be), and although RE2 is probably a more "good-feeling" game in general, it loses that.

RE1 does end on a wet fart no matter what though. The laboratory is kind of a weird, sedate way to end the game, and it's a bit disappointing that the remake didn't do much to jazz it up.

I think I still prefer RE2 and 3 to RE1 (though I need to play them again, it's been a few years) but I think RE1 clearly has the best level design of the classic games (and REmake makes it even better). The mansion is so well designed in concert with the inventory system.

I loved the lab the REmake tbh. The explosive canister setpiece that Mikami added was brilliant.

Jill is the longest one without a appearance, no?

Of the main cast yes, since Chris/Leon/Ada were in RE6 about 8 months after Rev 1 released and Claire in Rev 2, in terms of ongoing story and not prequels it been since 2009 since we last saw Jill, 2010 if wanna count Desperate Escape.

Another reason I hate RE7, time between games getting longer and longer and in terms of character story 7 is just a waste of several years.

Jawmuncher

Of the main cast yes, since Chris/Leon/Ada were in RE6 about 8 months after Rev 1 released and Claire in Rev 2, in terms of ongoing story and not prequels it been since 2009 since we last saw Jill, 2010 if wanna count Desperate Escape.

Another reason I hate RE7, time between games getting longer and longer and in terms of character story 7 is just a waste of several years.

Yeah the lack of moving the plot forward in any meaningful way is one of my biggest complaints of RE7. Hope not a hero offers enough in that department

Neiteio

Hey guys, I played through REVII on my PS4 Pro, three times, and it was great. But I'm thinking about selling my vanilla PS4 to a friend for cheap so he can play REVII. Does the game still run well on vanilla?

RSB

Banned

Agreed.

BTW, do we know if Revelations is going to include anything new for the PS4 re-release?

It's funny how two of my favorite characters are kids of the main characters/villains: Sherry and Moira. That's like the exception for kid characters. Both need to return along with Rebecca (as a HQ support character, like Hunnigan but much more involved. It's clear that she left the active field in Vendetta, but she can still be a main character).

Jawmuncher

But cheap budget and a million ports with good sales isn't tarnishing the name.

I think going

Revelations 1 HD
Then Revelations 2

With their budget prices would make a Revelations 3 look odd if they tried to push it at $60. Especially when one of the biggest complaints is the games need a bit more budget to them. So why even bother with the legacy when you can just do something else

Akiller

Which waifu should star in Rev 3

Sherry/Sheva teamup?

(Helena is the hawtest but seems one-off)

They could make 2 solo campaigns: one starring Rebecca, the other one starring Billy . The ending of both campaigns would be them two meeting each other , but the final Boss appears so they have to defeat it together.

Unlike Rebecca, Capcom probably thinks Sheva alone isn't important enough to justify a solo/main character role so they'd probably find an excuse to pair her with Chris again.

LOL the TechTv thread got me watching old Xplay and Gamespot TVs,
just came across the Code Veronica review in which Adam Sessler declared it the best of the franchise at the time.

Time has been harsh to CV.

Even when it was new CV wasn't that good, to me anyway. Felt like many steps backwards from RE3 and to a lesser extent steps back from RE1/2.

I loved when the series had multiple branching cutscenes and endings depending on various factors during the game. RE1 did it well and RE3 did it great. RE2 didn't have any but the 4 scenarios offered similar though not player defined. Even Survivor did it.

CV is where it all stopped, even REmake drastically cut down the options the original offered.

That not the only way CV felt inferior, but it hit the replay value hard. The costumes, back tracking, mutilation, weapons, backtracking were all absent, lacking or bad. Couldn't even manually walk on stairs. Even the graphics upgrade came with positives and negatives.

Top Bottom