• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Asd202

Hey guys. So RE7 is on sale on EU PSN and I thinking of getting it however I do not know if I should go with standard version of the one with season pass. How's the DLC in this game? Thanks.

Rev 3 would be a surprise.

Hey guys. So RE7 is on sale on EU PSN and I thinking of getting it however I do not know if I should go with standard version of the one with season pass. How's the DLC in this game? Thanks.
I haven't played the DLC, just the game, from what I've heard, it's not worth the money since it's very short and doesn't expand that much the game. Maybe there are more people here who have played it.

Gradon

There's still two packs of DLC left to come out however, they're both extra chapters so we don't know the quality of them yet. Ones free and one comes with the season pass.

kc44135

RE7 itself is a fantastic game, but the DLC is... ehhhh, so far. "Daughters" and " Bedroom" are the best of the bunch, featuring actual story, and various puzzles, but both are extremely short (you can easily beat both together in under an hour). "Nightmare" and "Jack's 55th Birthday" are the Mercenaries equivalent of RE7, but RE7's combat mechanics just aren't as fun or as in-depth as RE4-6's, so neither mode has much staying power, IMO. "Ethan Must Die" is some cheap ass bullshit that I don't think the developers even remotely intended to be fun. Finally, " 21" is a card game, with an opponent who regularly cheats to win, and it is frustrating garbage.

I don't think any of this is worth the price of the Season Pass unless the sale is like 50% off or something, although it is worth noting that there is one final peace of content coming. This last DLC is supposedly a "mini-campaign" of sorts that could take several hours to complete, have an actual story attached to it, etc. It's separate from "Not a Hero", which is a free DLC coming out sometime later this year. It could potentially be worth buying the Season Pass for on it's own, but very little is known about it, and with Capcom hard at work on" Not a Hero", it's probably not going to be coming out this year.

TL:DR, the upcoming final DLC for the Season Pass could be great, but it's likely a long way off, and next to nothing is known about it. Based off the DLC that has been released so far, I wouldn't recommend the Season Pass.

kc44135

So, no hype for RE: Revelations on PS4, huh? Well, so far, it seems like a very solid port. There's only so much higher resolution can do with a game that has such low-res textures to begin with, but Revelations looks good on PS4 overall, with significantly better image quality than the last-gen versions. Also, load-times are lightning fast, and the game seems to hold 60 FPS 100% of the time, at least on PS4 PRO (although I'm sure performance is fine on OG PS4 as well). Aiming also feels much improved over previous versions, and while this could just be due to the higher framerate, it does feel like they put in some efforts tightening up the deadzones for this version. I'm feel like I'm about 10x more accurate here than I was on PS3.

Speaking of PS4 PRO though, it doesn't appear as though the game has any enhancements on PRO at all. It doesn't have the "enhanced for PS4 PRO" logo, and while it's hard to tell for sure (again, low-res textures are everywhere), the image appears to be native 1080p with no downsampling or any other enhancements. That's really disappointing, especially since I was also hoping Dragon's Dogma might have PRO support (specifically an optional 60 FPS mode), but it is what it is, I guess. Still, for $20 I think this is a decent enough port without any glaring issues.

Jawmuncher

I'd just get the DLC if it's on sale that is. The last DLC is supposedly basically an standalone expansion.

Can just buy the final DLC on its own if it turns out to be good.

You should be able to. But looking at the pricing for the others standalone it'll probably be $20 bucks by itself.

So, no hype for RE: Revelations on PS4, huh? Well, so far, it seems like a very solid port. There's only so much higher resolution can do with a game that has such low-res textures to begin with, but Revelations looks good on PS4 overall, with significantly better image quality than the last-gen versions. Also, load-times are lightning fast, and the game seems to hold 60 FPS 100% of the time, at least on PS4 PRO (although I'm sure performance is fine on OG PS4 as well). Aiming also feels much improved over previous versions, and while this could just be due to the higher framerate, it does feel like they put in some efforts tightening up the deadzones for this version. I'm feel like I'm about 10x more accurate here than I was on PS3.

Speaking of PS4 PRO though, it doesn't appear as though the game has any enhancements on PRO at all. It doesn't have the "enhanced for PS4 PRO" logo, and while it's hard to tell for sure (again, low-res textures are everywhere), the image appears to be native 1080p with no downsampling or any other enhancements. That's really disappointing, especially since I was also hoping Dragon's Dogma might have PRO support (specifically an optional 60 FPS mode), but it is what it is, I guess. Still, for $20 I think this is a decent enough port without any glaring issues.

Good to hear it's a good port like the rest. I skipped it persobally since I have Yakuza to play and Rev is pretty low as one I like. Especially with its hard trophy list.

Glad to hear that Revelations is a good port. Will probably buy it eventually.

Now, all the main games are available for the actual generations of consoles. REmake3 needs to happen!

Jawmuncher

So who're all the character's we currently have no update on their whereabouts?

Off the top of my head with my guesses
----------------------------------
Billy Cohen (RE0) - Guess he died off in the woods?
Carlos Olivera (RE3) - Literally fell off the face of the earth
Bruce McGivern (Dead Aim) - Finished the mission and I guessed retired
Fong Ling (Dead Aim) - Spy work means she isn't seen a lot
Ark Thompson and co. (Survivor) - Assuming they went to a normal life
Jessica Sherawat (Revelations) - LOOSE END ALERT
Raymond Vester (Revelations) - LOOSE END ALERT
Hunk (RE2) - LOOSE END ALERT
Jack Krauser (RE4) - Dude is kinda middle ground. He can be dead. But they could very easily bring him back if needed.

Then of course like all of the outbreak character's minus Alyssa (Since we know she is still writing thanks to RE7).

Excluded:
Sheva Alomar - She's still working at BSAA Africa so we have a general idea.
Parker Luciani - Still working at the BSAA and was in the recent manga
Josh Stone - Pretty sure he's still working in Africa.

I ignored the cast from RE6 since Jake is in the middle east somewhere. Sherry is still with the Goverment and Helena is just whatever. Revelations 2 is kinda the same boat. Barry and Moira probably went back to their regular scheduled lives along with Claire while Natalia
Plans to take over shit as Alex

I'm really curious about the one's I labeled as a Loose End Alert though. Currently Resident Evil has quite a lot of loose ends that need resolving. Gonna spoiler tag them though.
------------------

Loose Ends that need to be explored in later games

Revelations 1 -
While we know Jessica handed Raymond T-Abyss that is later used in the C-Virus. I want to know where those two are. They're bad guys and they're just running around doing who knows what
Revelations 2 -
Alex is in Natalia. So we know at some point she needs to either get older or transfer her mind to get back to work. I just pray we don't have to deal with another scary little girl trope
Resident Evil 7 -
Lucas is on the run. We don't know who Mia works for and Ethan is a lamer. I'm sure Not a Hero wraps up at least two of those things though

If Capcom was cool they'd at least try to resolve the Rev 1 and Rev 2 stuff all in one game. Would also lead to a nice way of having some actual villains. Since they need to stop killing them off as soon as they appear in a game. But on the same hand they need to establish they still exist more. Returning villains kinda lose their impact when they go on radio-silence and don't have a large impact on the series like say Wesker or Krauser. You don't want people going "Who?" when you reveal them later on.

To loop this back around to the first topic. This is kinda why i'm agaisn't new characters. At least new character's that aren't along with some old ones. Moira was good because she fleshed out Barry and added more to the that character as well as herself and the overall lore. Mia and Ethan did jack all for the overall series besides add more questions than answers. We need more character's wrapped up. Even if it means another RE3 style ending for every character.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I've got a question for you all; do you find the AI partner in the first Revelations game dumber than average for AI partners in Resident Evil? This is really the first time I've spent time with Revelaitons, and Parker seems to be no help at all. I'd rather have the atmosphere and intensity of being alone, instead of having a dumb partner that does nothing.

I hate to over simplify, but the co-op mechanic with one AI player really hinder the enjoyment of the games for me. I love Resident Evil 4, and it's one of my top 3 games; and I really enjoyed Resident Evil 7---but ai co-op feels janky, especially in revelations.

I finished Revelations 2 with my roommate, and nearly platnumed RE5 (never ever attempted single player) with my best friend across the country, but to this day, I can't sink my teeth into RE6. I literally purchased an extra copy and sent one to my friend in New York so I could have a better experience.

Jawmuncher

I've got a question for you all; do you find the AI partner in the first Revelations game dumber than average for AI partners in Resident Evil? This is really the first time I've spent time with Revelaitons, and Parker seems to be no help at all. I'd rather have the atmosphere and intensity of being alone, instead of having a dumb partner that does nothing.

I hate to over simplify, but the co-op mechanic with one AI player really hinder the enjoyment of the games for me. I love Resident Evil 4, and it's one of my top 3 games; and I really enjoyed Resident Evil 7---but ai co-op feels janky, especially in revelations.

I finished Revelations 2 with my roommate, and nearly platnumed RE5 (never ever attempted single player) with my best friend across the country, but to this day, I can't sink my teeth into RE6. I literally purchased an extra copy and sent one to my friend in New York so I could have a better experience.

Revelations 1 has the whole "AI partner" just for the sake of the story. They don't do anything.

RE5 is the only game where the AI partner is of any significance.

Rev 2 is the weirdest one. Since the second character is important for certain gameplay aspects. Yet the coop is only local. Was an odd move.

RE6 does a Revelations approach where they minimize the partner. I think based on difficulty. They do do damage but so little you coudnt rely on them for anything.

I personally don't mind it. Since I feel the series has advanced to a piont where if every game is people alone or seperated it'll just start to feel forced. I'll take a weak additional character to kee the story beats more interesting.

erlim

Revelations 1 has the whole "AI partner" just for the sake of the story. They don't do anything.

RE5 is the only game where the AI partner is of any significance.

Rev 2 is the weirdest one. Since the second character is important for certain gameplay aspects. Yet the coop is only local. Was an odd move.

RE6 does a Revelations approach where they minimize the partner. I think based on difficulty. They do do damage but so little you coudnt rely on them for anything.

I personally don't mind it. Since I feel the series has advanced to a piont where if every game is people alone or seperated it'll just start to feel forced. I'll take a weak additional character to kee the story beats more interesting.

I appreciate all the Resident Evil games give you a vastly different experience, and I did have a wonderful time playing RE5 online co-op and Revelations 2 local co-op; Its also interesting to have such diverse narratives like super bombasic blockbuster RE6 to F.E.A.R. like RE7. I just wish that games like RE6 didn't feel broken without another human playing with you.

RE6 doesn't feel bad solo in quite the same way RE5 does but it's still pretty bad. Having an invincible AI partner with unlimited ammo is not as frustrating as having an inept one, but it is still about as damaging to the game.

erlim

Just finished RE Revelaitons for the first time on PS4. I was never able to get around the game's many mercenaries style killboxes that it inserts in action segments while playing it on the original 3ds on one analog nub.

I guess I'm going to work through any resident evil game enjoyably, but I had some thoughts on this entry.

Overall, just like Revelations 2, there's a little bit of adjustment going from the huge budget mainline series (the last game game in the series that I played was RE7), to a more moderate budgeted spin-off.

Being a port of a 3ds game, I expected some rough art design and graphics, but it was ok. After all, I've tolerated playing through Resident Evil 4 and its janky outdated textures on PS4 several times. All in all, it's really not bad though. The one time I it kind of broke my immersion was in the
queen dido where barnacles are growing on the submerged ship's ruins.
. Other than that, it feels like an upresed last gen game.

What really ruin my immersion was the partner character. I don't know, I've played a lot of RE5, but never with the AI. I really like the characterization of Parker, but partners during boss battles were horrible. I was completely annoyed by the
final battle with Jack Norman-Tyrant with Chris just standing there and shooting. Real real real dumb.
If it wasn't for that,
the timing and patterns of the last boss battle would have been very intense and enjoyable.
It is just dumb that throughout the game, the enemies never attack your AI partner, and the AI partner basically does not inflect any damage at all to enemies.

Coming from RE7, I actually really enjoyed the Queen Zenobia, and thought it touched on some really classic layout elements of Resident Evil. While it did make the game feel smaller and less cinematic than even revelations 2, it was way bigger and better utilized than the boat part of RE7. I didn't mind the backtracking at all really. And I didn't feel too bogged down from the scanner tool, besides the first tutorial beach level. As far as new mechanics go, I was actually really impressed at the amount of
swimming in the game, and I thought it was a smart reuse of the level design. It was also a fun mechanic. The on rails shooting was a nice change of pace too.
All and all, I found that
the unique gameplay sequence
s all balanced the narrative nicely.

It's so strange that each modern resident evil entry is so vastly different in it's configuration and gameplay mechanics; but I must say, I really enjoyed the modular weapons upgrade system. The game suffers a bit from bullet sponge enemies at first, but similar to RE4, upgrading the weapons is really satisfying and actually makes the game more fun, in my opinion. The game creates tension early on through ammo restriction and poor offensive weaponry. I can't remember, did revelations 2 have this weapons upgrade system? I just remember making my roommate throw bricks and stuff while I had a real gun. Kind of a bummer for player two.

Really though, I'm kind of confused. I remember being completely floored by Resident Evil 4's hit detection when it first came out, and how you'd have to impede enemies by shooting down their legs, or shooting weapons out of their hands. There's a little of that in revelations, but overall, it seems like the mechanic is getting more and more watered down. The enemies took a long time to go down in revelations, but the fact the AI doesn't react distinctly to how you hit them as much as RE4 makes it feel like a lesser budget game.

What didn't seem to bother me was the controls. I think I remember somebody mentioning the analog aiming is based on digital controls from the 3ds version? Is this right? It didn't throw me off at all, if so.

It doesn't add much to the mythos (it kind of feels like one of those direct to dvd animated films) and it's not quite narratively immersive as 4 or 5. It certainly lacks the atmosphere of Resident Evil 7---although part of that is probably because RE7 uses all that photogrammetry and has real solid acting and performance capture, while Revelations is a 3ds port.

I'm really happy this game puts Jill front and center though. I really did enjoy it, it wasn't a huge bloated let down for me like RE6 was.

I'm hoping that the revelations side series stays alive as the franchises 3rd person action-horror title and continues to focus on old protagonists that don't get much burn in the mainline series. I hope they make a really amazing REmake 2 with pre rendered backgrounds and photogrammetry; like really really work on lighting the objects and models in a classic fixed angle game. I'm happy to play RE7's DLC, and I'd be stoked for another entry in the mainline series on this gen.

Last non-sequitur thought. I really hope Capcom remasters the PC/DC/Gamecube versions of RE 1, 2, 3, and maybe code veronica x as a mega man legacy style collection for current gen systems. 480p for 1-3 with some good filters or post processing options. Don't know if its feasible, but for sake of my junior minor league CVXfreak ps4 collection, it would be nice.

a6j0GxD.jpg

Mr_Zombie

What really ruin my immersion was the partner character. I don't know, I've played a lot of RE5, but never with the AI. I really like the characterization of Parker, but partners during boss battles were horrible. (...) It is just dumb that throughout the game, the enemies never attack your AI partner, and the AI partner basically does not inflect any damage at all to enemies.

That's because partner characters are there only for the story. They do as little as they can (Parker sometimes blasts an enemy with a shotgun, or help you when an enemy grabs you) so they don't affect your progress in any way (positively or negatively). People who played RE5 in single player complained about Sheva killing off enemies, wasting ammo, dying constantly or healing you when you didn't need it. Here, partner characters practically doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

Really though, I'm kind of confused. I remember being completely floored by Resident Evil 4's hit detection when it first came out, and how you'd have to impede enemies by shooting down their legs, or shooting weapons out of their hands. There's a little of that in revelations, but overall, it seems like the mechanic is getting more and more watered down. The enemies took a long time to go down in revelations, but the fact the AI doesn't react distinctly to how you hit them as much as RE4 makes it feel like a lesser budget game.

Oozes react when you hit their arms (if you deal enough damage to an arm, it will go numb for a while; if you numb both arms, the Ooze will become stunned and you can perform a melee). Hunters will react when you head shot them (they will do a flip and stay on the ground for a while) etc. It's way less obvious than in RE4/5/6, and each enemy has less interactive parts, but the mechanism is still there.

Although I agree that fewer interactive body parts and bullet spoonge enemies made the game less fun to play than the big-budget titles. The same can be said about Rev2.

It doesn't add much to the mythos (it kind of feels like one of those direct to dvd animated films)

I disagree. It added a lot to the overall storyline of the series: the beginning of BSAA, Landsdale's plans (that were already addressed in Revelations 2), Reymond's and Jessica's conspiracy etc. It's just a matter of Capcom using those plot points in later games and/or movies.

strafer

I love AI Sheva, probably my favorite AI, she at least picks up stuff for me.

Helena might be hot but damn she dumb, she cant even pick up stuff, she left a ton of stuff in the caves, bothered the fuck out of me.

Hope they fix that in the next game.

I never had a problem with Sheva except the 2v2 fight on Professional, but even with 2 human Ayers that fight got some BS like Jill spraying her guns the moment the fight begins.

erlim

That's because partner characters are there only for the story.

I get that, and I do feel like Parker was a great character, as were Clive, Jessica, and Raymond; but I still feel like the gameplay could have been balanced a bit better. Maybe they could have found more narrative reasons to split up Jill and Parker? Some of the most tense situations for me were early in the game when ammo was low and weapons were weak, and Jill had to traverse windy hallways alone with plenty of monsters.

I disagree. It added a lot to the overall storyline of the series: the beginning of BSAA, Landsdale's plans (that were already addressed in Revelations 2), Reymond's and Jessica's conspiracy etc. It's just a matter of Capcom using those plot points in later games and/or movies.

Actually on further reflection, you're right, there is some real solid plot and narrative work brought into the world of Resident Evil. I must admit, I missed the thread on Landsdale's plans in Revelations 2, I think, because I played through Revelations 2 before Revelations. Can you summarize for me?

Also you're definitely right, the conspiracy for Jessica and Raymond is super juicy. It just seemed a little out of nowhere considering
Raymond was ready to shoot Jessica during the game---why go put up that big facade just for Parker? If Raymond and Jessica wanted to lure in the BSAA into false pretenses, whispering to Parker in the casino would have been enough. They could have just turned on him and shot him in the bridge, or done something heinous like mutated him to fight Chris and Jill. I dunno, when Jessica asks Raymond why he spared Parker, it kinda makes it seem like Jessica isn't in on that part of the plan, and Raymond just wanted to save Parker as a genuine thanks for saving his life a year prior.
In any case, it does build up some interesting intrigue. I just hope they don't leave Parker and their plot threads dangling for 15 years Sherry Birkin style.

Anyway I'd love to have Revelations 3 now. More Resident Evil please.

I never had a problem with Sheva except the 2v2 fight on Professional, but even with 2 human Ayers that fight got some BS like Jill spraying her guns the moment the fight begins.

Yeah that boss battle was tricky and frustrating with a really smart human as co-op. I can't imagine trying to play through that section with ai.

I generally find the co-op games great fun with a human partner. Resident Evil 5 is pretty close to being a masterpiece with a human player in co-op.

It's just a little funky, like in Revelations, when the game doesn't allow for a human companion. Even though it's design lends it to.

And look in the end of the day I'd much rather have a port to play through on ps4 pro, than have capcom deny us the game because they don't want to take the time to program in online co-op for a 3ds game.

I'll take it as is, but I hope future installments of Revelations offer online co-op. It might be the only group in the series to maintain co-op design at all.

Sheva's AI had her issues, for me at least. Some times it was fine but the next moment she just stands there doing nothing, it was infuriating lol

Mr_Zombie

I must admit, I missed the thread on Landsdale's plans in Revelations 2, I think, because I played through Revelations 2 before Revelations. Can you summarize for me?

Neil Fisher (Claire's boss) was a member of FBC (Federal Bioterrorism Commission) and Morgan Landsdale's protégé. Just like Landsdale, he believed that one can control people through the fear of bioterrorism. After the events of Revelations - after it was revealed that it was Landsdale who was responsible for the Terragrigia Panic incident, which then led to the disbandment of FBC - Neil planned to resurrect the old organization. To do so, he needed a new bioterror incident so one could prove that an organization like FBC is still needed. That's why he decided to work with Alex - he wanted a sample of the Uroboros virus.

It's easy to miss that, because most of that stuff is hidden either in memos, or spoken during the Uroboros boss battle.

Just downloaded Rev1 on PS4 even though my backlog is full. I loved playing this on Xbox a few years ago and can't wait to replay it again. If any of you guys want to do co-op just let me know--I loved raid mode so much.

erlim

Just downloaded Rev1 on PS4 even though my backlog is full. I loved playing this on Xbox a few years ago and can't wait to replay it again. If any of you guys want to do co-op just let me know--I loved raid mode so much.

I'd be happy with a smaller budget annual Resident Evil Revelations series. Like how call of duty or assassins creed is constantly releasing games. I don't know if that makes financial sense, but they have the resident evil engine which would make hypothetical new games look great.

It would be a nice holdout while we wait for a really glossy remake or mainline entry into the series.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't mind smaller budgets so long as they were at least slightly more budget than Rev 2. Rev 1 is pretty excusable since it was a portable game and when playing it at release it felt like a pretty big budget title at least on that platform. Of course the HD version doesn't but that's not a big deal considering the roots.

Revelations 2 shackles of budget always show and while the price is good (They didn't try to up charge the game. You essentially can get all the important content for $25 bucks). It really starts to show and imo will affect the game as it gets older. I'd argue it's showing even now. Though I will say I liked the CG cutscenes in the game. I know that was a budget limitation since they couldn't do much with the engine but I sure didn't mind it.

I thought Rev2 was fine. Tbh, people's awful judgmentalism regarding lower budgets for non-indies is the reason why we don't get more mid-tier spins on existing franchises or even spiritual iterations.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just was thinking about this and thought I'd ask you guys...

How would you rank the Resident Evil series boats?

There's been a number of boats through the series, I almost want to say we've seen about as many boats as mansions at this point, but curious what y'all think of them and how'd you rank them?

For a refresher course, here's what I believe is every boat level in the series:

-Resident Evil Gaiden: The ship is the main location of the game and where it's all set in, but don't think the ship is ever named.

-Resident Evil Dead Aim: The Spencer Rain, an Umbrella cruise liner, is the setting of the first half of Dead Aim.

-Resident Evil 4 (1): Decided to include the first boss fight/lake segment from RE4 as you do technically control a boat through all of that.

-Resident Evil 4 (2): In Ada's Seperate Ways campaign she gets an exclusive area on The Island which is a ship bay and you get to go on the exterior of one of the boats.

-Resident Evil 5: The ship is the last location of RE5, taking up most of Chapter 6. Also has the honor of being a Mercenaries stage.

-Resident Evil Revelations: Queen Zenobia, the main setting of the game.

-Resident Evil 6: The ship in RE6 that a chapter of Chris's and Ada's campaigb takes place on. If you want to cheat a bit, Ada's opening submarine chapter could also count. There's also the Mercenaries stage High Seas Fortress.

-Resident Evil 7: The boat that takes place around 2/3rds of the way through the game, which we also get a VHS sequence of as Mia.

Gradon

Resident Evil 5 and 6's are the worst in my opinion. Theyre not very interesting.

My favourite is Revelations followed by Dead Aim followed by 7. I do like me a good boat.

Gaiden probably would've ranked if it wasn't a GBC RPG.

erlim

RE7 final boss will be the true ending to Rev 2's final boss.

Revelations was probably the best since it incorporated a bunch of different areas, it had a really unique layout which worked well for the game's backtracking. The boat has some really grand looking areas too, and the
flooding of the ships makes for interesting change up in gameplay.

I haven't played through dead aim in a long while, but I remember it being similar to revelations.

Resident Evil 7 had a very uniform layout to its boat, but it gets credit for being a very different part of the game up to that point. I believe it's the first part of the game where you kind of get comfortably stocked with automatic guns and rifles? Koshi Nakanishi loves his boats I guess.

I actually fondly remember Resident Evil 5's motorboat level. One of the less linear levels in any Resident Evil game. The cargo ship level was whatever.

Resident Evil 4's fishing boat level was a fun boss fight.

Resident Evil 6 is meh overall, but I've only played it with AI.

I haven't put in much time to Resident Evil Gaiden.

I thought Rev2 was fine. Tbh, people's awful judgmentalism regarding lower budgets for non-indies is the reason why we don't get more mid-tier spins on existing franchises or even spiritual iterations.

Don't know if it's saying much, but I enjoyed Revelations 2 more than 6. I guess it's because I played with a co-op partner.

Jawmuncher

Rev 2 wasn't even mid tier budget. It was like a quarter budget game. Mid Tier would've been a $40 title ($40 as a base not as a deluxe version). Just as an example recore was one of my favorite titles last year and that was a mid-tier budget game.

----

Revelations I guess has the best boat but even that is pushing it. I pray I never see another boat setting in resident evil for like the next 20 years. Like damn it just comes off as having no more ideas at this point.

Jawmuncher

Also in the capcom thread I just realized we could be seeing 4 RE titles (one a year) if dev doesn't get shaken up

2017 - RE7
2018 - Sengoku Basura Director RE
2019 - RE2make
2020 - RE8

I really wish they dished out a Mercenaries game with RE6 mechanics that would have an all star people and monster cast.

I've always thought an X-COM style game where you play as BSAA or even one of the bio-tech companies that have popped up as shown in Umbrella Corps would be fantastic: deploying BOWs, cleaning up messes, stealing other companies' research, blaming others to get BSAA on their ass and so on.

Jawmuncher

I really wish they dished out a Mercenaries game with RE6 mechanics that would have an all star people and monster cast.

I've always thought an X-COM style game where you play as BSAA or even one of the bio-tech companies that have popped up as shown in Umbrella Corps would be fantastic: deploying BOWs, cleaning up messes, stealing other companies' research, blaming others to get BSAA on their ass and so on.

Both of these are something I'd love to see. Mercenaries could be done in house. That's a case where reused assets would come to their benefit. However the Xcom style game I think would be best with actual Firaxis or maybe even collabing with sega with the VC team. Regardless it's a really cool idea that'd fit well. But I'd guess the big issue is Xcom sells like shit on consoles apparently and would it be a big enough name to sell on pc?

Golnei

That would be an interesting direction to take for a spinoff (or even mobile game).

Also...

standalone mercs title or riot
That thread and the other Capcom thread just makes me realize that Capcom doesn't milk the fanbase enough or even correctly.
The fanbase and brand recognition is there but they do such a poor job working it.

Not only can they release rehashed Mercenaries or Raid stand alone they could milk costumes and characters forever but they just don't do it.
Seriously, Capcom should repackage areas from RE 4 - 6/Rev 1 - 2 into a Raid Mode and Mercenaries package with all the protagonists (Leon, Jill, Sherry, Sheva, Chris, Piers, Ada, Helena, Barry, Moira, and so on) and just say "Digital download, $30". I would buy THE SHIT out of that game.
CAPCOM NEED TO MAKE MERCENARIES CONSOLE.

Okay that's it from me for now.
If that really happens, I want a Mercenaries only game, we need some of that gameplay to celebrate the 20th anniversary how it should be (UC was a really bad way to do it...)
We need a standalone mercs game with RE6 gameplay.

Digital only, $20 and then charge for extra characters and skins.

Why they haven't done this baffles me honestly.
Man, Capcom have a ton of Resident Evil characters, with costumes to go with them, incredible third-person shooter mechanics with RE6, and a huge list of locations. I feel like it's time... for another standalone mercenaries game.
Yeah we're on a loop at this point. Mercenaries is a perfect fit for a game as a service.
Release at $20 with a decent amount of content. Then release other content packs later on at a price. Or if they don't want to go that route. Have all gameplay updates free. But have character costumes and the like come in the form of loot boxes. RE fans would eat that shit up and if you wanna save money it's easily ignorable since it wouldn't affect the gameplay itself.
Seriously. A Mercenaries + Raid Mode built on RE 6's gameplay as a base and taking assets from RE 4/5/6/Rev 1/Rev 2/RE 7 and building assets for the rest of the series and building on the mechanics can't possibly be worse received than Umbrella Corps and it's basically a shining example of a way they can do the whole "games as a service" they keep talking about while being a crowd pleaser at the same time. How is it that it hasn't happened yet?
To elaborate on what I suggested in the other topic...

I could think of "worse" things than Capcom putting out a "Mercenaries 2017" as a follow-up to Mercs 3D that just throws in so much fanservice in the form of characters (alive or dead), weapons, areas/locations, enemies and maybe even throw in a sort of Raid mode for those who want a more "RPG-like" growth system.

Mercs, at least to me, is a style of game that shouldn't be stuck in the confines of being a side mode to a main RE, any more. It's ready to be its own thing, and certainly could be the brand where all the straight up bro-op action is.
Yes! RE6 mercenaries with more characters, more stages, enemies from RE4 and RE5, modes etc. Pretty please, Capcom!
If Capcom were smart they'd launch an online browser version of RE Mercenaries, combining it with Revelations 2's online features, mainly focused on Asia with a special focus on China. Not sure why they didn't do that with Umbrella Corps. Maybe UC was an experiment in regards to going that route and that's why the game is so slapped together.
Costumes, stages, characters... they could sell a lot of DLC for that game.

But yeah, a Mercenaries + Raid stand alone game would be awesome. Well, if it had RE6's mechanics of course (or RE5 at least)
The Mercenaries dose we need should come as a full console game, don't really know how Capcom greenlits games like Umbrella Corps and not this.

Jawmuncher

I really hope the Sengoku Basara director game is something Merceanries Akin. I honestly could see him making something that is like playing Mercs No Mercy with lots of melee

Golnei

I really hope the Sengoku Basara director game is something Merceanries Akin. I honestly could see him making something that is like playing Mercs No Mercy with lots of melee

I've also said this two or three times before, but No Mercy would be a good template for a musou-esque game mode which focuses on varied objectives and territory control. It'd have a markedly different focus from the existing modes, while also not requiring much in the way of new assets and probably being a fun spin on its core mechanics.

Alongside traditional Mercenaries and Raid, it'd be a good way to include another game type which would further distinguish the game from the bonus modes in the rest of the series and give it more of its own identity, and provide a hook for people who wouldn't necessarily buy a single (not games-as-a-service) Mercenaries game - possibly going for the overlap between RE4-6 players and fans of casual action titles, especially in Asia.

Jawmuncher

What are the chances they have fixed Chris Redfields face? I know I've been kidding a bit that they will do it.

You know. A part of me think they might have done something with it. I won't bet on it or anything. But they sure have been extra quiet and in some ways. It'd be odd to have Chris in MvC and this recent revelations port with one face and then his face in RE7. Hell they even touched up Chris in MvC to look more like his RE5 face.

Then there's of course the feedback which was definitely more one-sided on "He needs to look more like RE5/6". While they said it would be hard to do his face with the new engine. They didn't exactly say no.

So yeah I won't bet on it. But I won't be surprised if they at least touch it up a bit. By perhaps making the hair darker and other such things. Because at this point they have to be doing more than just fixing the flaws the DLC had originally.

The quote itself
"This time, each character is made on the premise of photo realistic depiction, and Chris Redfield which appears in "Not A Hero" (DLC scheduled for free delivery this spring) also receives a pretty impressive impression," Resident Evil 7 director Koushi Nakanishi wrote.

Resi 6's Chris model was just not suitable for Resi 7's game engine or aesthetic, Nakanishi continued:

"Although it is fairly realistic impression,

This was back when it was still planned for Spring. There's nothing there that says they can't tinker with the model.
They just say don't outright expect the face from RE6 face to be transplanted in the game. Which I don't think anyone would ask for.

----

Someone brought up that the ending would be a factor. But since that cutscene is in-engine that shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're just putting in an updated model that's just touched up differently and not changing the actual skeletal stuff underneath. Or I guess they could have said "fuck it" and actually made it hunk lol.

Top Bottom