• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

RSB

Banned
It's fantastic, all the characters were handled well and the action scenes (especially towards the end) are top notch. Oh and Rebecca is totally adorable in it.

How I wish it was RE7 :/
Yep, Rebecca is the best thing about Vendetta. Love her new design.

kromeo

Are the cgi movies actually good, or good as in not offensively bad like the Jovovich movies? Because the 3rd and 4th ones in particular were some of the worst tripe I've witnessed

Jawmuncher

Are the cgi movies actually good, or good as in not offensively bad like the Jovovich movies? Because the 3rd and 4th ones in particular were some of the worst tripe I've witnessed

They're good for what they are. They're never offensively bad like the Live Action movies. They're all pretty action heavy though.

Well outside Damnation which is slow and kinda boring until like the climax.

strafer

The CGI movies are masterpieces and some of the best movies based on those games compared to the live action garbage movies.

And i like the first movie a lot.

Reknoc

I only watched one of them (Damnation, think that was the only one on netflix UK), but I enjoyed it.

It was... very accurate to Action Resident Evil, for better or worse. Kinda made me realise just how much dumb bullshit I put up with for some good as heck action gaming. It also pulled some monkeypaw shit with Leon, I know I wanted the one liners back but I didn't want his entire script to be one liners, they barely even made sense.

Jawmuncher

They're starting to feel like parody to me tbh.

Not quite sure what they could do. Since even their attempts at soft rebooting with 7 started running into issues story wise. At this point it's just part of the series. I would say it'd be nice for them to shift on some conventions though and try some new outlets in story telling.

Next game should be set in America and some "unspecified" North East Asian country after the two succeed in launching biological attacks at each other.

I hope they keep the bioterrorism angle going forward. Favourite part of the series.

Jawmuncher

Next game should be set in America and some "unspecified" North East Asian country after the two succeed in launching biological attacks at each other.

I hope they keep the bioterrorism angle going forward. Favourite part of the series.

The whole "Bio Terror" effects the whole world is definitely my favorite aspect as well. It'd be ridiculous if we still had isolated incidents and nothing more.

It's like I said earlier the fact that REs universe can support scary isolated bio events and more action bio terror events is what makes it great. Along with the majority cast of characters.

Mr_Zombie

Yes, I loved RE5 for introducing the theme to the series. I know that RE4 was first with the terrorism story, but RE5 build the whole universe around it: with BSAA and the whole history of its origins, with pharmaceutical corporations fighting over Umbrella's legacy, with B.O.W. black market and dealers selling viruses and monsters to the highest bidders, and the overall global threat.

It put a lot of fresh ideas to the overall story that started to become a little stale (oh look, yet another isolated incident at one of Umbrella's labs created either by a maniac, or by a pure accident).

Yes, I loved RE5 for introducing the theme to the series. I know that RE4 was first with the terrorism story, but RE5 build the whole universe around it: with BSAA and the whole history of its origins, with pharmaceutical corporations fighting over Umbrella's legacy, with B.O.W. black market and dealers selling viruses and monsters to the highest bidders, and the overall global threat.

It put a lot of fresh ideas to the overall story that started to become a little stale (oh look, yet another isolated incident at one of Umbrella's labs created either by a maniac or by a pure accident).

Well, I think the classic games set it up perfectly. RE1 incident was intentionally set up so that BOWs could be pitched against top of the line spec ops members to test the monsters combat capabilities. Raccoon City was basically an accident iirc, but you saw that there's even more different BOWs out there, as well as different strains beyond the T-virus. I think RE Survivor actually gave the best glimpse forward into the future of the franchise, as the tyrant mass production facility on Sheena Island pretty much hinted at a large scale BOW production and deployment in the future.

I always wondered, was the special footage unlocked upon completion of Ada's campaign in RE6 hinting at a possible DLC or a sequel with Jake in the Middle East? Which subsequently got discarded for some reasons?

Too bad News Bot got banned, he is the loremaster of RE universe and could explain in much more detail and more accurately all this stuff.

Jawmuncher

Well, I think the classic games set it up perfectly. RE1 incident was intentionally set up so that BOWs could be pitched against top of the line spec ops members to test the monsters combat capabilities. Raccoon City was basically an accident iirc, but you saw that there's even more different BOWs out there, as well as different strains beyond the T-virus. I think RE Survivor actually gave the best glimpse forward into the future of the franchise, as the tyrant mass production facility on Sheena Island pretty much hinted at a large scale BOW production and deployment in the future.

I always wondered, was the special footage unlocked upon completion of Ada's campaign in RE6 hinting at a possible DLC or a sequel with Jake in the Middle East? Which subsequently got discarded for some reasons?

Too bad News Bot got banned, he is the loremaster of RE universe and could explain in much more detail and more accurately all this stuff.

This was always my take on that as well. Seemed really odd that it was included in Ada's campaign when they could've just had him done when he rode off the Motorcycle. Beacuse of it Jake to me is prime material for Revelations or some other spin-off

This was always my take on that as well. Seemed really odd that it was included in Ada's campaign when they could've just had him done when he rode off the Motorcycle. Beacuse of it Jake to me is prime material for Revelations or some other spin-off

Well, I can't really imagine him in a game that doesn't have at least RE6 combat at its baseline. Hell, he needs an even more melee centric system to really shine.

Actually it plays when you beat any campaign final chapter once you've beat all 4 campaigns.

The first time it will be after Ada as she unlocks after the others.

We got Dusk Golem.

I think Dusk Golem is very knowledgeable and great, but unless he is also involved with Project Umbrella website, I don't think he's as knowledgeable as those guys, especially News Bot. Project Umbrella website is somewhat shitty atm because it's so goddamn broken, but they've done some outstanding research with almost academic passion and rigour on the RE lore and universe.

So said this elsewhere, but with the DLC revealed, I'll share two interesting things.

So one thing I'll mention, the reason Chris looks different is somewhat unintentional but they've rolled with it. The story is they had an agency that was in charge of selecting models for the game (actual models, not like 3D models) to use with their new scanning software. All of the characters in the game were scanned from real people (different people in some cases for the bodies and the faces), and all were from the same agency, so when they were choosing the model for Chris they chose who they did based on who was available at the agency, and from pictures where he looked more like Chris, and if you track down the model you can find some pictures where he does resemble Chris closer than the final. However, the pictures he was selected from were old and the current him didn't quite resemble that, he didn't end up looking quite as close to Chris as they would like. But they didn't do much about it for a while (the scanning of actors was done early in development for RE7, a few years ago now). When it was getting closer to release they started realizing that fans may not recognize it as Chris, and debated doing something, but ultimately they had paid the actor and the game was near finalized, so we got what we have. There were going to be changes anyways as the they were also using a different agency than they usually do for voice acting in Resident Evil 7, which features some new talent.

Sorry to say, that is 100% Chris, the reason he looks different is not intentional though, but it is what it is.

I'm just gonna do like Weirdfield doesn't exist.

Not quite sure what they could do. Since even their attempts at soft rebooting with 7 started running into issues story wise. At this point it's just part of the series. I would say it'd be nice for them to shift on some conventions though and try some new outlets in story telling.

Let's not just accept everything they throw our way with the "it's always been a part of RE" excuse. If they want to make movies out of it, let's put the bar a bit higher than videogame stories from 20 years ago. A bit more effort put into the writing and some subtlety isn't too much to ask. I love these characters and I refuse the idea that this is the best you can do with them. Revelations 2 told a decent story with good character moments while maintaining just the right amount of RE cheese and without turning the characters into Neo wannabes.
Some of the action scenes in Vendetta are downright stupid, I mean, come on.

So said this elsewhere, but with the DLC revealed, I'll share two interesting things.

So one thing I'll mention, the reason Chris looks different is somewhat unintentional but they've rolled with it. The story is they had an agency that was in charge of selecting models for the game (actual models, not like 3D models) to use with their new scanning software. All of the characters in the game were scanned from real people (different people in some cases for the bodies and the faces), and all were from the same agency, so when they were choosing the model for Chris they chose who they did based on who was available at the agency, and from pictures where he looked more like Chris, and if you track down the model you can find some pictures where he does resemble Chris closer than the final. However, the pictures he was selected from were old and the current him didn't quite resemble that, he didn't end up looking quite as close to Chris as they would like. But they didn't do much about it for a while (the scanning of actors was done early in development for RE7, a few years ago now). When it was getting closer to release they started realizing that fans may not recognize it as Chris, and debated doing something, but ultimately they had paid the actor and the game was near finalized, so we got what we have. There were going to be changes anyways as the they were also using a different agency than they usually do for voice acting in Resident Evil 7, which features some new talent.

Sorry to say, that is 100% Chris, the reason he looks different is not intentional though, but it is what it is.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

i wish Capcom had more respect for its characters. What other big franchise changes the appearence and voice of their characters with almost every game? Christ.

Jawmuncher

Let's not just accept everything they throw our way with the "it's always been a part of RE" excuse. If they want to make movies out of it, let's put the bar a bit higher than videogame stories from 20 years ago. A bit more effort put into the writing and some subtlety isn't too much to ask. I love these characters and I refuse the idea that this is the best you can do with them. Revelations 2 told a decent story with good character moments while maintaining just the right amount of RE cheese and without turning the characters into Neo wannabes.
Some of the action scenes in Vendetta are downright stupid, I mean, come on.

Revelations 2 is still a game though and even then that has it's moments of "wut even is this" (Mind transfer stuff and virus affected by fear). So even in the better written games it still crops up. I'd say in general they'd need a new writing team and mission statement to really see a big change in how the series goes in a lot of avenues. Since every game even the bigger changes like RE4 and RE7 were still playing by the RE hand book story wise. Since at that point it'd transfer over to the films.

I can't really agree with the action part of your comments. I mean Arias has a wesker infection thing kinda going on. Then Chris CQC is a thing as is Leon's. I mean it's flashy sure but I wouldn't say out of place for them.
The only scene in Vendetta action wise that I was offended by was the Leon on a motorcycle scene. Cerebrus being able to run that fast and as said above blowing up random cars with civilians in them that were driving was really odd for the character. Then there's the whole Action RE is a thing after all. I think that's partly why the film is the way it is. Capcom does want to shift the series back to being seen as horror but on the same hand I doubt they want to go all in and just pretend the last 10 years didn't happen either. I'd hope they don't wanna make the same mistake they did those 10 years of offering nothing to horror fans going forward as horror returns to being more of a forefront to the series.

I think Dusk Golem is very knowledgeable and great, but unless he is also involved with Project Umbrella website, I don't think he's as knowledgeable as those guys, especially News Bot. Project Umbrella website is somewhat shitty atm because it's so goddamn broken, but they've done some quality research into every aspect of RE universe.

That site, or at least some members have propagated a lot of bullshit too. At end of day a lot of the facts they claim are just their opinion, and have many times later been shown to be wrong. Is a lot of cherry picking with what they use to try back up claims too.

That site, or at least some members have propagated a lot of bullshit too. At end of day a lot of the facts they claim are just their opinion, and have many times later been shown to be wrong. Is a lot of cherry picking with what they use to try back up claims too.

Anything in particular? I'd be curious.

Anything in particular? I'd be curious.

I don't like canon arguments so try not to focus on them but I remember once that one of the members had the website quoted against him in an argument, rather than admit defeat or try to counter the argument he edited what the page said and accused the person who used it against him of lying about what it said.

I remember mainly because of how hilariously petty it was.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm finally disciplining myself enough to withstand playing through all of Resident Evil 6, and one thing that I had no idea was
that Resident Evil 7 had a huge throwback to 6 with it's giant faceboss. The games felt so dissimilar, who knew?
DJLLN10V4AEdNP0.jpg:large

DHEoyapUMAA1O5p.jpg:large

erlim

There's some other ties to RE6 as well. All the games being canon despite their vast differences is cool

Oooh that's interesting. I feel like I always caught the references going from CVX -> 4,5, but I must have missed the connections from 6 to 7 besides
face-monster and I'm Redfield
What did I miss?

Jawmuncher

Oooh that's interesting. I feel like I always caught the references going from CVX -> 4,5, but I must have missed the connections from 6 to 7 besides
face-monster and I'm Redfield
What did I miss?

Nothing major just the reason for the boss being that way is because Cvirus was used in creating it. I meant to say there were other general connections not just 6

erlim

Nothing major just the reason for the boss being that way is because Cvirus was used in creating it. I meant to say there were other general connections not just 6

Oh right like
the spencer mansion and baker mansion having the same architect.

Maybe, but both structures were probably built before the 1960s.

The company built by the
Trevor family
is still in operation and was contracted by
the Bakers to install the shadow puzzles.

The
Plantation
itself did not have a
specified architect, though the mines document may have been a remnant on exploring the history of the property that was ultimately dropped in development.

erlim

The company built by the
Trevor family
is still in operation and was contracted by
the Bakers to install the shadow puzzles.

The
Plantation
itself did not have a
specified architect, though the mines document may have been a remnant on exploring the history of the property that was ultimately dropped in development.

Ah, thanks for clearing this up. Theres so much small details of lore I've missed out on. This is why Resident Evil keeps me coming back despite giant changes in genres over the years---I'm committed to the narrative tapestry it's weaved.

It's kind of funny, one one hand, Capcom went in a wildly different direction in plot, leaving a lot of loose threads like,

What's Jake up to?
Is Barry going to nurture Alex Wesker reborn (in Natalia as a host) to a much better person via his STRONG parenting?
Who do Raymond and Jessica work for?

And generally mixing up details like
Chris and Leon going between heroic and borderline alcoholic in every other game or film entry
, yet they have this extremely well-tuned knowledge to connect games through documents and little lore connections like you mentioned. Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind those RE3 style epilogue cards.

It's also why the first couple need to be properly reserved and not just remakes. (Although I'm in on REmake2 no matter what.)

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Zero-ELEC

Banned
One thing that Degeneration brought up was they had a cure for the T-Virus... But like, how would a cure work is something I always thought about? Like, zombies are decaying, they get torn flesh, they're literally eating people, after you've literally been torn up and brought back to life and started eating other people, do you want to come back? What if you've been shot 20 times in the chest but aren't dead yet as you're a zombie or you've lost your legs as a zombie, or what? So at first the film eased my worry over thinking about this a bit since we see Rebecca cure herself before she fully turns, which makes sense enough to me. I can buy that. Okay so the cure only works in the period before you fully turn, and that's why she doesn't turn anyone in her lab back either or anything. But then at the end of the movie, they literally somehow within less than a day created enough serum to sprinkle magical dust or whatever all over New York, and we see it literally is like some magic solution that undoes zombie scars, rejuvenates limbs, and people who have been zombies for a few hours can just turn back into themselves. They don't go very deep into it, which they shouldn't because it's fucking ridiculous, and I guess on one hand it shouldn't surprise me since the series does have from the beginning herbs that magically heal all wounds and even in RE7 there's moments you can see the healing liquid quite literally stitch limbs back on and such, but that's something I always put down to video game logic which seems to have been interpreted quite literally in the movie.

I mean it's not exactly a t-Virus cure, it's supposed to be a vaccine, but they always play fast and loose with things like that.

I finally got around to watching Vendetta. I liked it more than I expected from hearing some word from people.So in some aspects it's about what I expected from the action sequences, they were much better done than the previous couple CGI movies but also a lot stupider, but that's basically what I was expecting and I didn't view it as a bad thing. They were fun to watch, and yeah the John Wick comparisons are apt. I had mixed feelings on the villain characters also, I think their thematic was overall more interesting than they themselves were, though the main bad guy had a few interesting scenes here and there. And three other nitpicks packed into one would be there were some suspension of disbelief moments, such as the villain
surviving for so long to be merged after falling down a 20-50 story building
, but also more generally the two things that sort of bothered me the most was what I had seen some people mention where the 'heroes' do things that seem to kill random civilians. They never show the civilians dying of course, but there's stuff they do that has such mass destruction and they show that New York isn't evacuated or anything and in fact still has people in it, as a result they no doubt probably killed quite a few innocent people (though the movie in general seemed pretty passive of human life to be fair, which is both a strength and a weakness I feel). The other thing is something I had been thinking about since Degeneration. One thing that Degeneration brought up was they had a cure for the T-Virus... But like, how would a cure work is something I always thought about? Like, zombies are decaying, they get torn flesh, they're literally eating people, after you've literally been torn up and brought back to life and started eating other people, do you want to come back? What if you've been shot 20 times in the chest but aren't dead yet as you're a zombie or you've lost your legs as a zombie, or what? So at first the film eased my worry over thinking about this a bit since we see Rebecca cure herself before she fully turns, which makes sense enough to me. I can buy that. Okay so the cure only works in the period before you fully turn, and that's why she doesn't turn anyone in her lab back either or anything. But then at the end of the movie, they literally somehow within less than a day created enough serum to sprinkle magical dust or whatever all over New York, and we see it literally is like some magic solution that undoes zombie scars, rejuvenates limbs, and people who have been zombies for a few hours can just turn back into themselves. They don't go very deep into it, which they shouldn't because it's fucking ridiculous, and I guess on one hand it shouldn't surprise me since the series does have from the beginning herbs that magically heal all wounds and even in RE7 there's moments you can see the healing liquid quite literally stitch limbs back on and such, but that's something I always put down to video game logic which seems to have been interpreted quite literally in the movie.

That all sounds really fuckin dumb.

Now I HAVE TO drunkwatch Vendetta someday

erlim

I finally beat Resident Evil 6 after years of avoiding it.

Even though Resident Evil (along with Metal Gear Solid) are my two favorite videogame series, I avoided 6 on ps3 after playing the demo.

I just felt like overall the single player campaign scenario was poorly designed. The narrative was all over the place and felt haphazardly stitched together. I wasn't thrilled having to replay sequences multiple times in different play throughs. The worst part was the forced gameplay variations. The automobile sections were really underwhelming, the running towards the camera and hold x to platform sections were not well designed, and the many many many forced QTE sections were horrible.

Like, it's one thing in Resident Evil 4 when it's set to a dope fight scene, but in RE6 the QTE's killed the pacing at every turn. Especially in Ada's section. RE4's campaign perfectly crescendos and the narrative and mastery of the game's mechanics go hand and hand. This was not the case in RE6, I just felt shorted out of a cohesive gamepllay experience.

The forced co-op wasn't in RE6 as bad as playing with the AI in resident evil 5 (which admittedly I haven't done much of), but I seemed to have the best time with the Piers and Chris' portion of the game. It could have been because it was the most straight forward campaign with the most shooting sections, but it also could have been because I was playing with a real human with my friend from across the country. I literally bought him the game to get somebody to play with. I had previously beat resident evil 5 forwards and backwards with him back in the day.

Which leads me to a thought---RE5 is a real solid game, and RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time; but I don't understand the dedicated fandom RE6 it gets here. Like I've seen people champion RE6 for it's gameplay mechanics, but in my opinion,the mechanics did little so salvage it. To me it appeared that its gameplay is not really not as deep as people make it out to be; it's not ninja gaiden or something. I dunno it'd didn't feel much different than any other non-genre defining third person shooter. The combat was pretty clunky to me. I'd rather the developers thought out an interesting campaign than spend time trying to come up with a hand to hand combat system in a third person shooter. I feel like it should have just been a whatever extension for close quarters like in Uncharted.

Overall though, my final thought is that I'm really glad that Capcom went out and tried something new. Sometimes it falls a little flat like Dino Crisis 3, or, I guess RE6, but it is really courageous to attempt to expand the horizons of your user base. It's commendable that they don't rest on their laurels. At the end of the day, I'm happy to go back to RE2 (a GOG version would be nice) or RE4 if I want those types of experiences---I'd rather have a dynamic and unique series than have a situation like COD or Assassin's creed where small changes are made every year. (Though I guess I would be fine with an perennial Revelations series). At any rate, I'm excited for the DLC of RE7 in december, and I'm happy to have finally completed this game.

strafer

Yeah, one thing I hated in RE6 was the amount of QTE, I don't mind them when they are done right, but when you have one for grabbing your partners hand then you fucked up.

erlim

Yeah, one thing I hated in RE6 was the amount of QTE, I don't mind them when they are done right, but when you have one for grabbing your partners hand then you fucked up.

Wait was that in Chris and Piers section?

You know, one thing I'll miss a lot is the goofy awkward moments and unintentional hilarity of the RE series. Like, Jill sandwich and master of unlocking are meme strong till this day. When
Piers got dangled by his arm, then his arm got impaled, and then finally getting it sheered off by a flying door
it was so over the top me and my buddy had a good laughing spout.

Jawmuncher

Which leads me to a thought---RE5 is a real solid game, and RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time; but I don't understand the dedicated fandom RE6 it gets here. Like I've seen people champion RE6 for it's gameplay mechanics, but in my opinion,the mechanics did little so salvage it. To me it appeared that its gameplay is not really not as deep as people make it out to be; it's not ninja gaiden or something. I dunno it'd didn't feel much different than any other non-genre defining third person shooter. The combat was pretty clunky to me. I'd rather the developers thought out an interesting campaign than spend time trying to come up with a hand to hand combat system in a third person shooter. I feel like it should have just been a whatever extension for close quarters like in Uncharted.

This is where you'll see the most defense for the game. I don't think anyone has ever claimed the gameplay mechanics are on such a level like DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden. But they do add a lot to the game overall I feel. If you took out a lot of said mechanics and left the game as is. I don't think you'd be seeing any of the defense for it outside some story elements. Being able to counter basically any move in the game with the right timing, along with the dodging, different contextual melee's and other little tid bits the game never teaches you about really helps the game feel unqiue.
Now the problem is you don't even need said mechanics to beat the game. Which ends up really hurting the game among it's other weaknesses. You'll be hard pressed to find defenders of the game that won't call Jake's Chapter 2 shit or that like the tacked on vehicle sections.
It's just a case of seeing more of what's underneath and taking the game as it's own thing. Than just using the bare minimum to beat it and wishing it was a horror game the entire time. Though believe me I wish RE6 was better. There's a lot I would change about it if given the ability to do so. A lot of the defense just comes from people who have never even written the game off as being bad. Or just call it an uninspired call of duty-esque action game. In the TPS genre RE6 is a wholly unique beast and I know this because i've practically played every TPS starting from the PS2.
Regardless of that I think the biggest issue with the game comes from how the game was developed. Seems like the mechanics themselves were made at capcom. While a lot of the level's and such were out sourced. So you have all of these different people essentially piecing a game together. This is what helped RE7 a lot since the main campaign was done in house. While the only part they did handle to other's (Not a Hero) they ended up delaying and fixing. With RE6 it seems they didn't have the time to do that. Especially when the release date for the game was actually moved up earlier from November to October 2012.

As for your other comments. For me one of my favorite aspects of the RE series is everything it has been over the year. To me the progression from RE1 to RE6 and then 7 makes sense. Unless capcom would've beaten a dead horse with the characters somehow being alone in a scary situation. It made sense to progressively amp up the stakes as each game went on and then after the huge 6 tone it back down with 7. I personally hope that the future of the series is embracing the entirety of the universe. RE shouldn't be just scares & survival horror. It also shouldn't be just action either though. The series will be at it's best when capcom can balance both of those offerings with the quality and budgets they deserve. Action fans don't want schlock like Umbrella Corps and we all deserve better than every game having the budget of a happy meal like Rev 2.

Thankfully from rumors and the messages for Not a Hero. Seems capcom knows that the future of the series is a balance of what the last 20 years have offered.

erlim

This is where you'll see the most defense for the game. I don't think anyone has ever claimed the gameplay mechanics are on such a level like DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden. But they do add a lot to the game overall I feel. If you took out a lot of said mechanics and left the game as is. I don't think you'd be seeing any of the defense for it outside some story elements. Being able to counter basically any move in the game with the right timing, along with the dodging, different contextual melee's and other little tid bits the game never teaches you about really helps the game feel unqiue.
Now the problem is you don't even need said mechanics to beat the game. Which ends up really hurting the game among it's other weaknesses. You'll be hard pressed to find defenders of the game that won't call Jake's Chapter 2 shit or that like the tacked on vehicle sections.
It's just a case of seeing more of what's underneath and taking the game as it's own thing. Than just using the bare minimum to beat it and wishing it was a horror game the entire time. Though believe me I wish RE6 was better. There's a lot I would change about it if given the ability to do so. A lot of the defense just comes from people who have never even written the game off as being bad. Or just call it an uninspired call of duty-esque action game. In the TPS genre RE6 is a wholly unique beast and I know this because i've practically played every TPS starting from the PS2.
Regardless of that I think the biggest issue with the game comes from how the game was developed. Seems like the mechanics themselves were made at capcom. While a lot of the level's and such were out sourced. So you have all of these different people essentially piecing a game together. This is what helped RE7 a lot since the main campaign was done in house. While the only part they did handle to other's (Not a Hero) they ended up delaying and fixing. With RE6 it seems they didn't have the time to do that. Especially when the release date for the game was actually moved up earlier from November to October 2012.

As for your other comments. For me one of my favorite aspects of the RE series is everything it has been over the year. To me the progression from RE1 to RE6 and then 7 makes sense. Unless capcom would've beaten a dead horse with the characters somehow being alone in a scary situation. It made sense to progressively amp up the stakes as each game went on and then after the huge 6 tone it back down with 7. I personally hope that the future of the series is embracing the entirety of the universe. RE shouldn't be just scares & survival horror. It also shouldn't be just action either though. The series will be at it's best when capcom can balance both of those offerings with the quality and budgets they deserve. Action fans don't want schlock like Umbrella Corps and we all deserve better than every game having the budget of a happy meal like Rev 2.

Thankfully from rumors and the messages for Not a Hero. Seems capcom knows that the future of the series is a balance of what the last 20 years have offered.

That's really interesting, I had no idea the level design for RE6 was mostly outsourced. That explains a lot. Do you know which developer it was outsourced to? It wasn't like, dimps or something, was it?

Also, I totally feel you on the RE characters. I was trying to get into Evil Within which I got for cheap on a psn sale, but I just couldn't get into it.

I think doing what they did with RE7 was a big risk, and it may negatively impact their sales numbers---but really they are respecting their own legacy in a narrative artform. They protagonists aren't just empty vessels like many videogames aspire to, and I would end up playing through some strategy game or some other genre I am not into to get more of Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire. I mean I haven't dedicated much time to other first person horror games like outlast. And even within their own genre, games like Silent Hill do a much better job of characterizing and examining its protagonists, but they never had the same impact to me. It's weird, it's not like any of those characters are particularly well developed, their depictions can be sloppily fluid, but I'm always down to check back in.

Top Bottom