• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

My issue with RE6 character gameplay mechanics is that the game doesn't justify a need for them.

The dodge roll is fine, counters and melee are fine (counters too overpowered actually). Nothing else is.

Slide attacks? Slide flips, slide reverses, ass scootching, rolling, Jake-Fu etc? Worthless as general gameplay mechanics, all flash no substance.

RE5's head/arm/leg and in front/behind system was better. Plus the tag team melee moves.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
My issue with RE6 character gameplay mechanics is that the game doesn't justify a need for them.

The dodge roll is fine, counters and melee are fine (counters too overpowered actually). Nothing else is.

Slide attacks? Slide flips, slide reverses, ass scootching, rolling, Jake-Fu etc? Worthless as general gameplay mechanics, all flash no substance.

RE5's head/arm/leg and in front/behind system was better. Plus the tag team melee moves.

I felt like RE6 obviously had deeper combat mechanics than RE5, but it was much less cohesively implemented. If I had needed to use it more than 4 hours in Jakes campaign and actively practice it, I may have begrudgingly used it more.

I feel like I did use mele plenty though to conserve ammo. It was more fun with a human partner smash juggling enemies.

Maybe if there was some sort of enemy relative lock on to mele (besides jake's aiming system) I would have enjoyed it more. It feels weird and unrewarding whiffing on strikes.

Zambatoh

What the fuck? Did we even play the same game?

-Slides are very useful against zombies. Especially when they have their arms raised. As simply sliding into them triggers a stun state.

-Slide/roll Reversals are a great way to avoid melee attacks and allows you to re-target enemies much more quickly while leaving them wide open for a few seconds.

-Rolling and "Ass-scootching" is used for evasive purposes as well as reducing shaky aim. Which is great when using any sniper rifle at all and not to mention it makes you a smaller target. Which is extremely useful on higher difficulties.

-And "Jake-fu" is far from useless. Like seriously did you even play the game? The story outright demands it at some points. Not to mention it's a huge ammo saver since he can take out multiple groups of enemies without even firing a single shot.
It's more OP then freaking Wesker-fu.

Mr_Zombie

I felt like RE6 obviously had deeper combat mechanics than RE5, but it was much less cohesively implemented. If I had needed to use it more than 4 hours in Jakes campaign and actively practice it, I may have begrudgingly used it more.

RE6 combat mechanics mainly shine in the Mercenaries. As Jake, you can easily spend most of the round without firing a single bullet, just beating the crap out of enemies and throwing them around (and earning precious time bonuses :p).

Plus, what Zambatoh said. You don't have to use a lot of moves to beat the game, but once you learn them, they can make fights much easier and fun. For example, did you know that once you're shot down (you land on your back after being, e.g. shot by a sniper) you can press aim and the character, while still staying on his ass, will automatically aim at the enemy that just hit/shot you? This is very useful for dealing with snipers

What the fuck? Did we even play the same game?

-Slides are very useful against zombies. Especially when they have their arms raised. As simply sliding into them triggers a stun state.

A shot or regular melee does this. Slides are extra flash, not extra purpose.

-Slide/roll Reversals are a great way to avoid melee attacks and allows you to re-target enemies much more quickly while leaving them wide open for a few seconds.

Regular dodge works for this, as well as counters, extra flash, no extra purpose.

-Rolling and "Ass-scootching" is used for evasive purposes as well as reducing shaky aim. Which is great when using any sniper rifle at all and not to mention it makes you a smaller target. Which is extremely useful on higher difficulties.

Scootching doesn't evade shit, it the least mobile control of character in game and it too slow to dodge. If you can roll you can just get up and walk. Again, extra flash, no extra purpose.

-And "Jake-fu" is far from useless. Like seriously did you even play the game? The story outright demands it at some points. Not to mention it's a huge ammo saver since he can take out multiple groups of enemies without even firing a single shot.
It's more OP then freaking Wesker-fu.

It not like ammo is ever an issue in the game and we already got several melee attacks for every character, including Jake himself. Jake-Fu doesn't add to his abilities, it's just a side option to the existing melee system with no added purpose. It certainly isn't needed.

Basically RE6 gives you too many ways to do the same thing.

Mr_Zombie

A shot or regular melee does this. Slides are extra flash, not extra purpose.

A slide allows you to move towards the enemy (while dodging other attacks) and ending the move by stunning him without loosing the stamina bar. It's also much faster when you have to be constantly on the move.

Regular dodge works for this, as well as counters, extra flash, no extra purpose.

You can't dodge or counter a bullet or a rocket. And in many situations rolling is easier than countering, so if you're not certain that you will manage to hit the button at right time, rolling is the way. And in contrast to dodging, it allows you to distance yourself from the enemy and then immediately shoot at him while the enemy still performs the attack animation.

Scootching doesn't evade shit, it the least mobile control of character in game and it too slow to dodge. If you can roll you can just get up and walk. Again, extra flash, no extra purpose.

Scootching allows you to quickly restore stamina while still being able to attack enemies. It allows you to immediately automatically aim at the enemy that just hit you if the hit downed you. It also allows you to reach some weak spots easier.

All those moves have their purposes and are useful in the midst of the fight. You're arguing that they are "extra flash and no extra purpose" when I know from my own experience that a right-timed roll or ass-schootching saved my ass during Mercenaries / Onslaught matches.

erlim

Yeah RE6 just had much too much syndrome. It would be one thing if they reused the combat system for later entries; but as is, we are left with a one time undesirable single player campaign. They didn't even recycle it for Revelaitions 2.

Jawmuncher

Yeah RE6 just had much too much syndrome. It would be one thing if they reused the combat system for later entries; but as is, we are left with a one time undesirable single player campaign. They didn't even recycle it for Revelaitions 2.

I mean they did "techincally" recycle RE6 in Rev 2 with those Raid maps and character's ripped straight from RE6. But I did find it odd that the gameplay of Rev 2 didn't take from 6. Like it didn't take anything from it out side being able to dodge easier than mashing up on the analog stick. Which in all honesty they probably would've done regardless.

Playing Rev 1 on PS4, I really love this game.

Just the right amount of action
Great environment design/atmosphere.
Good story (I have a few issues)
Exploration while limited, is appreciated.
Great enemy variety (even the different Ooze types)

If they do a Rev 3 I hope it more like this than Rev2, with a bit more exploration.

I don't have a problem with dodging so if they used Rev2 dodge I wouldn't mind, though Rev1 animation is better.

I mean they did "techincally" recycle RE6 in Rev 2 with those Raid maps and character's ripped straight from RE6. But I did find it odd that the gameplay of Rev 2 didn't take from 6. Like it didn't take anything from it out side being able to dodge easier than mashing up on the analog stick. Which in all honesty they probably would've done regardless.

You can run in Rev 2. 😋

erlim

Playing Rev 1 on PS4, I really love this game.

Just the right amount of action
Great environment design/atmosphere.
Good story (I have a few issues)
Exploration while limited, is appreciated.
Great enemy variety (even the different Ooze types)

If they do a Rev 3 I hope it more like this than Rev2, with a bit more exploration.

I don't have a problem with dodging so if they used Rev2 dodge I wouldn't mind, though Rev1 animation is better.

You can run in Rev 2. 😋

I enjoyed Revelations, I liked that it went back to exploring a huge strangely interconnected space and finding puzzle items like classical RE. Rev 2 felt more like RE4 when it came to liniar progression through a level which is also awesome.

Just beat Norman on Infernal in Revelations. Probably one of the toughest RE bosses i've ever faced.

He is strict in combat and will punish all errors but if you got his patterns down with a +damage, double shot M3 it gets a lot easier since it always interrupts and being a shotgun doesn't require quick precise aiming to the heart.

Just beat Norman on Infernal in Revelations. Probably one of the toughest RE bosses i've ever faced.
It took a while for me to take him down but with patience and knowing his patterns it was a lot easier.

Now, I would like to get the Rev2 platinum but have not found the motivation hahah.

It took a while for me to take him down but with patience and knowing his patterns it was a lot easier.

Now, I would like to get the Rev2 platinum but have not found the motivation hahah.

Rev 2 plat so boring with the constant level replays for collectables, medals (often different medals need dedicated playthroughs), time trial and invisible enemy. For all 8 chapters.

I got Plat on PS4 but my PS3 copy barely much more than story done and Vita is unopened.

Rev 2 plat so boring with the constant level replays for collectables, medals (often different medals need dedicated playthroughs), time trial and invisible enemy. For all 8 chapters.

I got Plat on PS4 but my PS3 copy barely much more than story done and Vita is unopened.
Yep, that was what I thought after reading about the plat. And I would have to play alone for most of the time, so I would assume that it should be somewhat harder...

Yep, that was what I thought after reading about the plat. And I would have to play alone for most of the time, so I would assume that it should be somewhat harder...

It not very hard at all to be honest, time trial pretty easy if you just stick to what needed and run past enemies a lot, invisible enemy you can see them using Moira/Nat and also see enemies taking damage. Barry especially easy since stealth focus and fixed enemy placements, plus prompts telling you close enough to stealth kill etc. Also the regenerating health of second characters is abusable.

It just repetitive and boring.

Reknoc

I can't believe RE6 has Agent Hunt, lol. What a bizarre, interesting mode.

Agent Hunt was awesome RE6 was full of cool little online stuff. Also despite being very late to the game on PC people were still using that mode unlike... every other mode which were barren.

It not very hard at all to be honest, time trial pretty easy if you just stick to what needed and run past enemies a lot, invisible enemy you can see them using Moira/Nat and also see enemies taking damage. Barry especially easy since stealth focus and fixed enemy placements, plus prompts telling you close enough to stealth kill etc. Also the regenerating health of second characters is abusable.

It just repetitive and boring.
I see, I should look for some videos and watch how it should be done.
Repetitive and boring could be the hardest thing to get the trophy then lol

erlim

The best thing about Agent Hunt was when you got the player into a dying state and they disconnected before final blow. Every time.

Agent Hunt is a really interesting part of extra material for the game, but it's pretty jankily implimented.

Since some trophy talk, I've kind of been doing this thing where I try get a great screenshot when I unlock a platinum trophy. I do it for all games, but here are my Resident Evil attempts.

The successes:

DJdvAVwW4AE1zax

CiCLq36W0AE29Mn

The almost had it (trophy took longer to pop than should have, ended up a fading to black cut at bad angle)

CgqQ13ZWYAElt9R

And the "Oh shit that was the last trophy?!" waste

DJ9TmauXkAA8D0q

REmake I got on PS3 and it shares the PS4 list so no screenshot.

CVX PS4 I didn't even realise had a Plat until a couple weeks ago, probably be one of the battle mode secret inspections.

Rev 1 PS4 coming soon, thinking of killing Rachel for it.

RE5 saving for 200th Platinum and will probably be saving Jill scene the timing could turn it into another RE6 mess though.

Jawmuncher

God Damn that's some fucking work put in.
RE4-6 aren't too bad. Since the lists aren't too bad.

But RE7, Rev 2, 0, and the other RE games have some bitches of a platinum. So congrats on those. I don't have the patience to try and get them outside 5 and 6. (Though I did manage to get RE7's)

Jawmuncher

So this was posted on gaming side by Razgriz-Spencer. Pretty cool look at the original concept art for a lot of the characters.
DJ9rz5qXoAAQFyz.jpg

Ended up also making a comparison chart
DJ9r0m3WAAAPLlS.jpg

I'm curious how Remi would've played into this. I couldn't imagine two creep kids running around the house. The original molded seem like they would've been more zombie based and like I said in the other thread still similar to the molded we have now in their mannerisms of flopping around and such. I'm guessing this changed after they realized they had to make more designs and that zombies would be harder to work with in that regard. The dog I think is a miss oppurtunity. It was in a lot of prior concept art and probably would've been a cool additon. Especially if it had gotten infected as well. Guessing they just didn't wanna bother with such an additional mechanic that could play so little into the story. Thus cut since it'd be more trouble than it was worth. Alan Douglas is just whatever. Looked lame in the concept art and was lame in RE7. Nothing even worth pondering over. Some of the name changes I find odd. But I guess they were made just to keep them more unique in a sense? IMO Kevin would've allowed for some Home Alone memes and Annabel is on the nose for a horror movie. Apparently the same thing applies to Samara as well. So I can understand why the name changes were made there. Meg is in the same boat as well. Andrey spelled with a y just seems like a mistake and I can't recall why Clancy got his name changed.

I still have to get the platinums for 7, 0, 5, 6 and both Revelations games for the PS4.

Revelations 1, 5, 6 for PS3 and REmake is what I have at this point. So many to go lol

Maybe Remi would have been, like, the D-series BOW or something.

I get the feeling that Margaritas would have been a separate person from Samara, too.

zeemumu

That molded art looks way freakier than what we got

Yeah but at the same time the concept art doesn't really look like something made of sentient mold.

It also looks like we were supposed to get a far older looking Chris Redfield instead of the alternate reality young Chris Redfield.

Stupid game? Why?
I know that RE5 has it good and bad points, but I really enjoyed it when it was released back in 2009.

Don't know why it could be a stupid game.

Reknoc

RE5 is a game that takes you from a shanty town to a uncomfortable swamp place to the temple of doom eventually leading to the showdown between Chris and Wesker in a volcano where Chris punches the shit out of a boulder.

It's a pretty stupid game.

RE is a pretty stupid franchise tbh and that's why I love it.

BadWolf

RE5 is a game that takes you from a shanty town to a uncomfortable swamp place to the temple of doom eventually leading to the showdown between Chris and Wesker in a volcano where Chris punches the shit out of a boulder.

It's a pretty stupid game.

RE is a pretty stupid franchise tbh and that's why I love it.

RE4 can be made to sound just as 'stupid'.

A midget with a giant robot version of himself, anyone?

erlim

Looks like they planned to have a much older Chris initially?

Won't like, Old Chris would have been pretty cool.

Yeah one file in RE6 talks about how Chris feels like he can't stay in the field forever, which is why he cares so much about Piers and the younger generation in that game. He's supposed to be 44 now, which is pretty accurately portrayed in the games. I hope they treat this realistically moving forward.

Since some trophy talk, I've kind of been doing this thing where I try get a great screenshot when I unlock a platinum trophy. I do it for all games, but here are my Resident Evil attempts.

The successes:

Hot damn, what is your trophy level at?

I've enjoyed all the games even if the ideas/plot/execution end up being somewhat dumb. 6 was the hardest one to complete for me but the mechanics were good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Top Bottom