• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

strafer

Took a picture of my RE collection. It's missing some stuff that I plan on covering at some point. Would like to have every game released in NA on all platforms.
This is the stuff I have not pictured or digitally (will get them physically some day).

Where is your Dino Crisis collection?

Lunafreya

Lovely collection Jawwy!

The excitement for RE7 is rising rapidly, I can't wait to see where the overarching story is going.

Also does anyone think we'll get some REmake 2 trailer / footage this year?

Neff

The survival was good at the beginning but, if you are careful, you can save plenty of ammo and herbs.

People are terrible at remembering the first game due to it having been succeeded by the REmake for over a decade now. If such impressions come from 1996, it's because it was a new experience and we were all shit at it, so we wasted tons of ammo on the wrong enemies and never had it for moments when we needed them. But the game is literally 20 years old now, and a run today with even a passing knowledge of how RE works will show that the game is far from the ammo famine it's often suggested as, as you've discovered.

Hard mode will ration bullets though, and does make you consider what you're going to do with them.

The voice acting is amazing, best in any game ever.

It really is.

Lovely collection Jawwy!

The excitement for RE7 is rising rapidly, I can't wait to see where the overarching story is going.

Also does anyone think we'll get some REmake 2 trailer / footage this year?

If the REmake 2 demo really is being packed in with RE7, then I think a trailer is inevitable this year. They wouldn't release a demo for a game if they haven't even formally unveiled it yet.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
nice stash, JM. That reminds me that I just bought another PS2 for Outbreak & need to make room by the TV

also: added another community GIF/link to the OP

Jawmuncher

Where is your Dino Crisis collection?

It's sadly not as impressive. DC1, DC2, Dino Stalker, Dino Crisis 3, 2 strategy guides for 1 (official and unofficial), guide for 2, somehow ended up with 2 guides for 3. Lastly a Regina perler from Namco X Capcom 2. Also have the PC version of DC2.

DC1 is hard to find on PC in box and not ridiculously priced.

strafer

It's sadly not as impressive. DC1, DC2, Dino Stalker, Dino Crisis 3, 2 strategy guides for 1 (official and unofficial), guide for 2, somehow ended up with 2 guides for 3. Lastly a Regina perler from Namco X Capcom 2. Also have the PC version of DC2.

DC1 is hard to find on PC in box and not ridiculously priced.

Had to google Dino Stalker. Didn't know there was a DC lightgun game.

TreIII

Besides the fact that RE7 has combat, another major difference between it and Outlast 2 is the fact that RE7 won't involve the supernatural in its story. Outlast on the other hand did have supernatural elements and it's safe to assume its sequel will as well.

I expect to enjoy RE7's story a LOT more for that reason. I loved Outlast but its story was not the reason why.

Yeah, this is about where I am, too. I'm really interested in seeing how they'll tie things together and make the "elements" we've seen so far come together and tie into the past games. I'm fully expecting virus-induced psychokinetic powers to show up as a reason for all the "paranormal" activity in the story.

But I guess what I really wanna see is how the game plays, especially on the combat end. I actually had dreams of RE7 playing something like Bioshock, right down to how the main character had the option to use viral-strain induced "upgrades" to augment their abilities, at the exchange of losing their humanity and sanity. And that ended tying into the phone call from the demo that talked about how "you'll have to say good-bye".

Man, that was a wild dream...

Bladenic

Mansion map is out for Umbrella corps. It's fun. though only recreates about a third of the mansion (but Umbrella Corps maps are small).

I have been wondering this too, but I'm pretty certain they will have a bonus mode at least. While the original release of RE1 didn't have a bonus mode, literally every main RE game (starting with the Director's Cut of RE1) has had an extra unlockable post-game mode in it. I think Capcom is aware that bonus modes are such a staple with RE at this point, especially with the success of Mercenaries and Raid Mode with them. I'm not sure if they'll have something exactly like Mercs/Raid though, and at the very least they're listing this game as single-player only on their store pages. I'm actually wondering if they may go back to the RE1-RE3/Code Veronica style and have a sort of 'Battle Mode' version of the game to go through? Or maybe they may try something new, ala Leech Hunter in Zero?

Anyways, I'm pretty certain the game will have an unlockable mode and other unlockables, the question is what kind? To note is that RE7 is already confirmed to have bonus DLC episodes that come with the Deluxe Edition, and will be available seperately, so extra content is already on the table. or to quote them;

But I imagine it'll probably have unlockable stuff like the other games (unlockable mode, weapons... Maybe costumes for other characters since you're in first person?).

Wait where do you see the Deluxe Edition? I don't see it on Amazon.

Also, I bought REmake on PS3 but haven't played it. Should I go ahead and get the Origins collection and just play REmake on PS4? Are there significant performance/graphics differences? Or should I just get RE0 on its own?

Jawmuncher

Well that's lame AF. But if the promises content includes additional story chapters, I'll probably bite.

Yeah, dunno why Capcom isn't big on CEs for RE7. Seems like easy money. Maybe they'll announce something later for physical.

-----

Also I snagged a great deal on eBay. Someone was selling Code Veronica X for PS2, with the DMC demo and The weaker report for 13 shipped. Crazy. I always see that video alone for like 25+

Jawmuncher, why do you have two copies of Operation Raccoon City PS3? I struggle to justify my Steam copy :)

lol, I had 3 copies at one point.

360 PAL, PS3 PAL and PS3 US Special Edition. I slipped the US disc into the UK case and sold it to GAME (for more than I paid for the UK copy, I might add).

If we're listing/showing collections, I'll list mine since most of it is packed away.

Games - All Physcial unless stated, brackets indicate region versions owned for the console preceeding the bracket.

RE0 - GC, Wii, PS4
RE1 - PS1, Saturn, PC
RE DC - PS1 (PAL, Germany), PSN
RE Deadly Silence - DS
REmake - GC, Wii, PS3 (Jap), PS4
RE2 - PS1 (PAL, US, Jap), N64, GC, PC, Dreamcast (PAL, Jap)
RE2: DS Edition - PS1 (US, Jap), PSN
RE3 - PS1 (PAL, Jap), DC, PC, GC, PSN.
RECV - DC
RECVX - DC (Jap), PS2, GC, PS3 (Jap)
RE4 - GC, PS2, Wii, PS3 (Jap)
RE5 - PS3
RE5: Gold Edition - 360 (PAL, US), PS3.
RE5: Alternative Edition - PS3 (Jap)
RE Gold Edition with Move Pre-Patch - PS3 x 3
RE5 Collector's Edition - PS3 (US)
RE6 - PS3, 360, PS4
Revelations - 3DS, PS3
Revelations 2 - PS3 (PSN US, PS4 (PSN US), PS4, Vita (Jap)
Survivor - PS1
Gaiden - GBC
Gun Survivor 2 - PS2
Dead Aim - PS2
Outbreak - PS2 (PAL, US)
Outbreak 2 - PS2
Umbrella Chronicles - Wii, PS3
Darkside Chronicles - Wii, PS3
ORC - PS3, 360
Mercs 3D - 3DS
Various demos and betas

Novels

The Umbrella Conspiracy
Caliban Cove.
City of the Dead.
Underworld.
Nemesis.
Code Veronica.
Zero Hour.

Figures

NECA REmake series
Jill
Chris
Zombie
Lab Zombie
Licker
Tyrant

NECA RE5 series
Executioner

Play-Arts Kai series
Lupo

Capcom Figure Builder series
Jill (Revelations)

Books (non novel)

Art of RE5
RE Revelations Complete Works
RE6 Artworks
RE Archives
RE Archives II
A Bunch of Japanese ones, sod knows the names.

Movies

All of them, live action and CGI.

Other tat

Bunch of posters
RE6 pill box collection
Advertisement boards
T-Shirts
Cosplay outfits of Chris (RE1, RE5) and Carlos
Other crap I forget.

3997493-my+life+wasted+comic+book+guy.jpg

mdzapeer

In 1996 I remember using seeing a Big Box for Resident Evil 1 PC with the mansion on the cover, am I just imagining it?

I am searching on google but cannot seem to find it. Maybe it was a European box or something this was in the United Arab Emirates.

In 1996 I remember using seeing a Big Box for Resident Evil 1 PC with the mansion on the cover, am I just imagining it?

I am searching on google but cannot seem to find it. Maybe it was a European box or something this was in the United Arab Emirates.

Some regions used The Umbrella Conspiracy artwork, cannot find a picture of the game box but this the artwork as used in the novel, was it this?

latest

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
damn, just found out resident evil gaiden sells for like $200cdn.

It's certainly not worth $200cdn, but I will throw out there it's a bit of fun and interesting (it's okay). Didn't realize it had reached those heights of price either, but I guess it makes enough sense as Capcom doesn't really acknowledge the game's existance.

Jawmuncher

It's certainly not worth $200cdn, but I will throw out there it's a bit of fun and interesting (it's okay). Didn't realize it had reached those heights of price either, but I guess it makes enough sense as Capcom doesn't really acknowledge the game's existance.

Probably it being a case of noncanon and they'd probably have to redo legal stuff since it was developed by Virgin games.

Terrible article. The author didn't seem to bother doing any research before writing this. The game is already confirmed to have combat, so that statement in the first paragraph is likely false ("You won’t be getting to shoot any enemies since the game will be focusing on exploration"). We still don't know if the combat will entail projectile weapons or just be pure melee, but I will be shocked if guns aren't available in any way. That would be an even bigger change for the series than going first-person.

Then the author goes on to falsely claim that you'll be running away from "supernatural" enemies. Capcom already confirmed this wasn't going to be a ghost or spiritual-related story, so the author is wrong again here. And then he/she doubles down on the false "no weapons" bit again ("But this does not mean that you will be using guns or any other form of weaponry to defend yourself.")

The rest of the article says nothing new that we didn't already know before. I also don't agree that this is a "do or die" game for Capcom. They're still bringing us REmake 2 and other games, and REmake 2 is guaranteed to sell decently just off nostalgia alone. If RE7 were to tank, the IP would still survive the storm.

Dusk Golem

So, here's my Resident Evil 7 theory from thinking on it and analyzing everything we know:

In the RE7 trailer, there is a person who unmistakably looks like Ozwell E. Spencer.

who.png

Now, that doesn't mean that this IS Ozwell E. Spencer (it is a shady figure), but any RE fan is going to see this and immediately think of bathrobe wearing elderly Spencer, but he's supposed to be dead also. More so, Capcom said no returning characters would be in RE7.

I'll get back to this.

I think the game is about a backwater southern plantation in Kentucky, obviously. However, I think the people on the plantation is some closed-off family who have kept to themselves for years, and are isolated from the rest of the world, and my prediction, were somehow loyal to Umbrella or some history with them, and don't realize that Umbrella is dead. Not only does that work so well with the sort of horror movies that they seem to be pulling from of isolated farm, it helps explain some things. Why is someone so paranoid about an Umbrella chopper 'watching them from above'? Maybe they have their secrets, as these closed off farm families do in horror movies, that they don't want Umbrella taking away from them, thinking they're still alive and isolating themselves from the rest of the world, of course not realizing that Umbrella is long gone?

Now, we don't know about the monsters, viruses, and such yet in RE7, and the only thing we know of is the 'Family Man' and the Ghost Girl in the demo. But there is the cover of Aunt Rhody they had on the trailer of course, which you can listen to here. They took a lot of liberties with the song though, and almost all the lyrics are changed. Some people commented that this song feels like it could fit Lisa Trevor, but I have another theory. It does seem to be a song made specifically for RE7, which is worth noting, and I haven't actually seen anyone talk about the lyrics:

Go tell Aunt Rhody...
Go tell Aunt Rhody...
Go tell Aunt Rhody that everybody's dead
I was raised in a deep dark hole
A prisoner with no parole
They locked me up and took my soul
(shame at what they made...)
Call to Hell, and he will come
To answer him like he's the one
His arms outstretch, but when she's done
He'll be torn apart
Go tell Aunt Rhody
Go tell Aunt Rhody
Go tell Aunt Rhody...
Go tell Aunt Rhody
Go tell Aunt Rhody
Go tell Aunt Rhody that everybody's...
Everbody's...
Everbody's...
Dead

So, I take it that the made-up lyrics are actually kind of important and do reflect themes we shall see, even if not directly. IE., I think this is a closed-off family that doesn't realize that Umbrella is dead (no one ever told them). And I think they created something truly terrible, a B.O.W., that they didn't want Umbrella or anyone to take away from them, maybe something they considered as part of their family.

I think the 'Ghost Girl' is one of the B.O.W.'s that was created, and the song lyrics do talk from a woman's perspective of how she was raised in a deep dark hole, locked up and lost herself in the process, and it's a shame what they made her.

Now, to help support this, the family has stuff like VHS tapes and all that, but not DVD's, but stuff that seems to have been made and used in the 90s, almost as if they closed themselves off in the 90s, before Umbrella went under. The scene with Ozwell E. Spencer may be a video tape sequence, since we have it already hinted we may be experiencing other character's histories. I don't think Spencer is back from the dead, but maybe he had some interaction with this family back when they were more... 'normal' (it also would explain the screen hue with Spencer in the scene). We also know that Umbrella stooped to things for gain to itself, like how they shot up Birkin for the G-Virus, which might give this family ample reason to not trust them and not want to give up their own research or experimentation, especially if they considered one of these experimentations to be their family. Plus there are reports in the local newspaper of 'ghosts in the Bayou', and other things around the area, which does help hint they kept only to themselves, and have some ghost-like entity who may likely be a B.O.W. of some kind.

There's more theories I have, but they have less 'substance', and are more shots in the dark off of loose information. This all is just a theory from what we've seen so far as it were, but I think it's pretty supported by all we have so far, I think it's a family that closed themselves off from the world who still thinks Umbrella is alive and well and have some history with them. They have their own twisted experiments they wanted to keep to themselves, maybe for the purpose that it's a family. And the things in RE7 seem like ghosts, but aren't actually ghost, related to their experiment. And the woman 'ghost' we see in the trailer may be a key figure to something. And I think the cover of Aunt Rhody with the changed lyrics are about how someone should go tell them that Umbrella, everyone they knew and/or loved/feared is already dead, but with a B.O.W. left to loiter, grow, and be alive for over a decade, has festered something incredibly terrible and personal that's been boiling in nowhere, USA. No one is aware it's there, and is its own unique bio-outbreak now about to be unleashed due to neglect.

Also, it was said that this T-shir given out at E3 had a lot of RE7 clues in it:

shirt.jpg

Some observations:
-There are four main locations shown on the shirt, the 'Plantation;, the 'Forest', a 'Factory', and underground. I think there's a high chance these will be our main locations in the game.
-There appears to be a fetus in a womb-like position. Could be related to 'The Family' and being raised in a deep dark hole, as the fetus is notably underground.
-You can actually see the demo's axe in the t-shirt.There is also a knife, a pitchfork, a sickle, a handgun, a shotgun,a grenade launcher, and what looks like a grenade.
-There is a clock in the picture near the face.

There's a few other things that look important, but I can't quite make out what they are.

Jawmuncher

I definitely have a feeling that RE7 is gonna hit some familiar cues from REmake. Most notably a lisa Trevor Esque character and a underground facility of some sort.

Since the lyrics were the first thing I noticed as well after repeatedly listening to the the song. It's definitely story related, and your idea that it's about a neglected/forgotten BOW which could cause a huge problem due to its ghostly visions it causes seems like a good fit.

I honestly think Capcom wants to go for some Silent Hill esque imagery. So I fully expect the BOW or virus in the game to cause hallucinations and such.

Bladenic

Terrible article. The author didn't seem to bother doing any research before writing this. The game is already confirmed to have combat, so that statement in the first paragraph is likely false ("You won’t be getting to shoot any enemies since the game will be focusing on exploration"). We still don't know if the combat will entail projectile weapons or just be pure melee, but I will be shocked if guns aren't available in any way. That would be an even bigger change for the series than going first-person.

Then the author goes on to falsely claim that you'll be running away from "supernatural" enemies. Capcom already confirmed this wasn't going to be a ghost or spiritual-related story, so the author is wrong again here. And then he/she doubles down on the false "no weapons" bit again ("But this does not mean that you will be using guns or any other form of weaponry to defend yourself.")

The rest of the article says nothing new that we didn't already know before. I also don't agree that this is a "do or die" game for Capcom. They're still bringing us REmake 2 and other games, and REmake 2 is guaranteed to sell decently just off nostalgia alone. If RE7 were to tank, the IP would still survive the storm.

Yeah, I was in a hurry when I posted it and on mobile. What I meant by "interesting" was the fact that they are saying it's do or die, which is an interesting position if not well-founded.

So, here's my Resident Evil 7 theory from thinking on it and analyzing everything we know:

In the RE7 trailer, there is a person who unmistakably looks like Ozwell E. Spencer.

who.png

Now, that doesn't mean that this IS Ozwell E. Spencer (it is a shady figure), but any RE fan is going to see this and immediately think of bathrobe wearing elderly Spencer, but he's supposed to be dead also. More so, Capcom said no returning characters would be in RE7.

I'll get back to this.

I think the game is about a backwater southern plantation in Kentucky, obviously. However, I think the people on the plantation is some closed-off family who have kept to themselves for years, and are isolated from the rest of the world, and my prediction, were somehow loyal to Umbrella or some history with them, and don't realize that Umbrella is dead. Not only does that work so well with the sort of horror movies that they seem to be pulling from of isolated farm, it helps explain some things. Why is someone so paranoid about an Umbrella chopper 'watching them from above'? Maybe they have their secrets, as these closed off farm families do in horror movies, that they don't want Umbrella taking away from them, thinking they're still alive and isolating themselves from the rest of the world, of course not realizing that Umbrella is long gone?

Now, we don't know about the monsters, viruses, and such yet in RE7, and the only thing we know of is the 'Family Man' and the Ghost Girl in the demo. But there is the cover of Aunt Rhody they had on the trailer of course, which you can listen to here. They took a lot of liberties with the song though, and almost all the lyrics are changed. Some people commented that this song feels like it could fit Lisa Trevor, but I have another theory. It does seem to be a song made specifically for RE7, which is worth noting, and I haven't actually seen anyone talk about the lyrics:

So, I take it that the made-up lyrics are actually kind of important and do reflect themes we shall see, even if not directly. IE., I think this is a closed-off family that doesn't realize that Umbrella is dead (no one ever told them). And I think they created something truly terrible, a B.O.W., that they didn't want Umbrella or anyone to take away from them, maybe something they considered as part of their family.

I think the 'Ghost Girl' is one of the B.O.W.'s that was created, and the song lyrics do talk from a woman's perspective of how she was raised in a deep dark hole, locked up and lost herself in the process, and it's a shame what they made her.

Now, to help support this, the family has stuff like VHS tapes and all that, but not DVD's, but stuff that seems to have been made and used in the 90s, almost as if they closed themselves off in the 90s, before Umbrella went under. The scene with Ozwell E. Spencer may be a video tape sequence, since we have it already hinted we may be experiencing other character's histories. I don't think Spencer is back from the dead, but maybe he had some interaction with this family back when they were more... 'normal' (it also would explain the screen hue with Spencer in the scene). We also know that Umbrella stooped to things for gain to itself, like how they shot up Birkin for the G-Virus, which might give this family ample reason to not trust them and not want to give up their own research or experimentation, especially if they considered one of these experimentations to be their family. Plus there are reports in the local newspaper of 'ghosts in the Bayou', and other things around the area, which does help hint they kept only to themselves, and have some ghost-like entity who may likely be a B.O.W. of some kind.

There's more theories I have, but they have less 'substance', and are more shots in the dark off of loose information. This all is just a theory from what we've seen so far as it were, but I think it's pretty supported by all we have so far, I think it's a family that closed themselves off from the world who still thinks Umbrella is alive and well and have some history with them. They have their own twisted experiments they wanted to keep to themselves, maybe for the purpose that it's a family. And the things in RE7 seem like ghosts, but aren't actually ghost, related to their experiment. And the woman 'ghost' we see in the trailer may be a key figure to something. And I think the cover of Aunt Rhody with the changed lyrics are about how someone should go tell them that Umbrella, everyone they knew and/or loved/feared is already dead, but with a B.O.W. left to loiter, grow, and be alive for over a decade, has festered something incredibly terrible and personal that's been boiling in nowhere, USA. No one is aware it's there, and is its own unique bio-outbreak now about to be unleashed due to neglect.

Also, it was said that this T-shir given out at E3 had a lot of RE7 clues in it:

shirt.jpg

Some observations:
-There are four main locations shown on the shirt, the 'Plantation;, the 'Forest', a 'Factory', and underground. I think there's a high chance these will be our main locations in the game.
-There appears to be a fetus in a womb-like position. Could be related to 'The Family' and being raised in a deep dark hole, as the fetus is notably underground.
-You can actually see the demo's axe in the t-shirt.There is also a knife, a pitchfork, a sickle, a handgun, a shotgun,a grenade launcher, and what looks like a grenade.
-There is a clock in the picture near the face.

There's a few other things that look important, but I can't quite make out what they are.

Louisiana. But wow, great finds. Wonder if those will be our weapons in the game. I also wonder if The Family will be related to the RE6 Family mentioned.

CAN'T WAIT

Dusk Golem

I definitely have a feeling that RE7 is gonna hit some familiar cues from REmake. Most notably a lisa Trevor Esque character and a underground facility of some sort.

Since the lyrics were the first thing I noticed as well after repeatedly listening to the the song. It's definitely story related, and your idea that it's about a neglected/forgotten BOW which could cause a huge problem due to its ghostly visions it causes seems like a good fit.

I honestly think Capcom wants to go for some Silent Hill esque imagery. So I fully expect the BOW or virus in the game to cause hallucinations and such.

They definitely are building up some female character who seems to have some tragic backstory. The T-shirt again has a woman's face concealed with shadows, the first thing we hear in the Resident Evil 7 trailer is, "She's back..." from the phone. The song lyrics they made for Aunt Rhody is a woman singing about how everybody's dead, being raised in a deep dark hole (and notably on the shirt there is a fetus image underground), and locked up there and lost her 'soul', and that tearing some man apart who she seems to view as from Hell, but yet also seems to care deeply for him ("answer him like he's the one, his arms outstretched"), but she's going to kill him. Which might relate to the 'family' angle if it's the family that cares a lot about her, but are also who turned her into a monster.

It's obvious whatever it happens to be, it is supposed to resemble a ghost. The newspaper literally calling out ghost sightings, the woman in the demo seeming like a ghost (and the ghost hunter people going to the house to make an episode about a supposed haunted house). but I think Capcom maybe said too much in confirming there's nothing supernatural going on, but it might be the RE4-angle they originally wanted to take (where people get infected and start seeing hallucinations), and/or the enemy/enemies are ghost-like in some way. We know that the monster selection for RE7 is smaller, but "more personal and intimate scale of horror by there being fewer enemies, but each one poses a significant threat." I take it we'll have more personalized, bigger threat monsters, reoccurring enemies, and they clarify this won't be a game where we're mowing down faceless zombies or anything, or large groups of enemies.

I'm not sure they want to go SH imagery route (but then I'm of the opinion a lot of people in gaming consider anything remotely surreal to be 'SH-like', when SH's brand of surrealism and imagery has to do with fleshy people monsters, rust and blood dark inside environments, and foggy outside environments), but think we'll be seeing imagery not typical of a RE game and pulling a lot from some horror films and stylings they chose on.

And the art piece does feature a big underground theme, and RE has a thing for underground facilities, so there being some big deep secret underground wouldn't surprise me (and fits the song again, and the underground fetus, and being raised in a deep dark hole, etc.).

Yeah, I was in a hurry when I posted it and on mobile. What I meant by "interesting" was the fact that they are saying it's do or die, which is an interesting position if not well-founded.

Louisiana. But wow, great finds. Wonder if those will be our weapons in the game. I also wonder if The Family will be related to the RE6 Family mentioned.

CAN'T WAIT

Right, Lousiana, got it all mixed up. The shotgun, handgun, and grenade launcher do imply it (and notably, the shotgun is right next to the axe from the demo), but wondering if the knife, sickle, pitchford, are for us or enemies? They said no big groups or faceless enemies in this game, but we could have some sort of 'slasher' like monster, and I should mention the axe, shotgun, handgun, and grenade launcher are seperate from the knife, pitchfork, and sickle, which are all towards the top of the poster together. Be kind of cool if there was some 'slasher' type B.O.W. who hunted you with different weapons in different scenarios...

The Family is something that is possible, especially as Family Man says 'Family' with a capital, and they could be tied in definitely. But I do think there is a 'family' that lives in this plantation 'haunted house', and we'll be learning more about this closed-off family in RE7 in the old haunted plantation, and my guess is they have some sort of past with Umbrella. But the demo photo hints they may have been paranoid about Umbrella for some reason, and the demo (and song lyrics) paint it out like maybe the family in the plantation who might of sealed themselves off from the rest of the world in the 90s don't know about what's been going on in the world around them, and might not even know that Umbrella's dead. And assuming something has been brewing there, now that people have started having 'ghost' sightings there, and obviously it's the main setting of RE7 now.

I assume it's an outbreak of some kind, but obviously not zombies or plagas, what people seem to think are ghosts, but it probably isn't a ghost outbreak. Again, my theory with everything rests it's a neglected plantation Umbrella had some sort of ties with (to the point Ozwell Spencer may have visited them in the past), but they wanted to keep something to themselves, and some forgotten B.O.W. there is acting up in some severe way and may be spreading something, or the plantation owners/family has been capturing people for their own experiments in isolation, and seem paranoid of Umbrella for something.

I'm very wary about the hallucination stuff. It's harder for me to feel immersed or scared in a horror game if I know what I'm experiencing is just a hallucination. It's one of the reasons I never liked the Silent Hill series as much as RE.

And they can say "Well they're not technically ghosts!" all they want, but if it quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's a duck. Even if they come up with some virus-related explanation, the end-result is still the same.

I'm fine with pretty much every other change RE7 seems to be making, but this is the one thing I'm worried about. Horror games revolving around ghosts never keep my interest. I just hope there are still creature BOW's like Hunters and Bandersnatches. Enemies that are just disturbed or mutated humans that can still speak human language, like the ones in the demo, don't scare me at all.

Dusk Golem

I'm very wary about the hallucination stuff. It's harder for me to feel immersed or scared in a horror game if I know what I'm experiencing is just a hallucination. It's one of the reasons I never liked the Silent Hill series as much as RE.

And they can say "Well they're not technically ghosts!" all they want, but if it quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's a duck. Even if they come up with some virus-related explanation, the end-result is still the same.

I'm fine with pretty much every other change RE7 seems to be making, but this is the one thing I'm worried about. Horror games revolving around ghosts never keep my interest. I just hope there are still creature BOW's like Hunters and Bandersnatches. Enemies that are just disturbed or mutated humans that can still speak human language, like the ones in the demo, don't scare me at all.

I think by hallucinations you mean more anti-spiritual and more scientific? Since Silent Hill and Fatal Frame both actually don't deal with hallucinations, but Silent Hill has cults and alternate layers of reality, while Fatal Frame has ghosts kept to this realm by rituals gone wrong.

In this case, I am thinking more it's a B.O.W., and not 'ghost of a BOW. I don't know if its hallucinations or not, but it comes to mind since the only other time RE considered going kind of supernatural-ish was with the RE3.5 build, and that was due to being infected and hallucinations.

I think this is less that and more a B.O.W. though. We don't know the specifics of any of the monsters yet, so it can be hard to say, but we do know there's no supernatural element. And I'm not sure if the ghosts people are seeing are apparitions or hallucinations. Maybe it's more some ability these B.O.W. has, their appearance, or how they move more than that?

Jawmuncher

I do think we're in for zombies though. Awhile back there was the image from the stage reveal that showed a pistol and a enemy similar to a zombie. It was kinda crap quality though.

Dusk Golem

I do think we're in for zombies though. Awhile back there was the image from the stage reveal that showed a pistol and a enemy similar to a zombie. It was kinda crap quality though.

In the E3 Stage reveal, it's very blurry and hard to make out, but there is... Something humanoid. It's hard to make out as you said, but there are four 'enemy' looking things we see in the trailer, which of course they zoomed out of so we can't see it clearly at E3. But they also don't quite look human, moving around a bit unnaturally. They also are faster than your stumbling zombie, they look to be sprinting at you quite quickly actually. We see a scene where one comes from the wreckage and is clearly on fire as it comes after you. There's also a scene of a character going through a hallway, and something walks across the hallway ahead of them,

But it's all so blurry, it's hard to make out. The clearest seen one looks like an obese man, however.

Some shitty gifs not by me (but working with the shitty quality, so not bad gifs, just source), you can see them kind of here.

The obese man where you can see our guy holding a gun (also can see a red forest and either a building, factory, or ferry on it):
3zU0Im.gif

Hallway and pushing one away:
aJdCv9.gif

The one on fire:
-waHcK.gif

These all move much faster in motion, the gifs are very slowed down, and they look to move very fast in their blurriness.

Jawmuncher

Would be intreresting if these supposed zombies or whatever they are, are all individually modeled. To go with the more personal feel. While repetition can sort of force an iconic look, each being unique would add a nice amount of variety and realism to what Capcom is saying is a more personal story.

Wonder how long I have to wait to find out wtf Jake is doing though. Since he ain't confirmed for that CG movie.

Would be intreresting if these supposed zombies or whatever they are, are all individually modeled. To go with the more personal feel. While repetition can sort of force an iconic look, each being unique would add a nice amount of variety and realism to what Capcom is saying is a more personal story.

Wonder how long I have to wait to find out wtf Jake is doing though. Since he ain't confirmed for that CG movie.

What do we even know about that movie beyond Rebecca, Leon, and Chris being confirmed?

Dusk Golem

One more Resident Evil 7 theory thing.

First thing, our character seems to come to this place willingly. We don't know the character's personality, who they are... Anything about them at all really, except they are a new character and a 'normal' person. However, the trailer does show that the person appears to drive here and come to this location of their own volition, which is interesting. The team has mentioned they pulled a lot from RE1, and the situation seems to be less of an 'outbreak' than most RE games, and I'll talk about that I mean by that later. For now, basically our character seems to enter this house for a reason all of their own, maybe investigating, maybe they have some connection, that is a big unknown, but it does definitely seem like they walk into the nightmare rather than the nightmare coming for them or dealing with an outbreak.

As we know from the demo and trailer, people have been spotting 'ghosts in the bayou', and we see a group of paranormal investigators trying to film footage for an episode of their series at this local known 'abandoned' haunted house. As we also say, when they break in, things don't go too well for them.

Before I continue, I will also mention we know the lead writer is Richard Pearsey, who's big writing credits without a doubt would be his writing for Spec-Ops: The Line, and the expansions to F.E.A.R. 1. The fact he worked on these will be a bit amusing to talk about with a couple upcoming points.

Firstly, it seems at the heart of Resident Evil 7 is a girl/woman. The first piece of promotional material we got for Resident Evil 7 literally had this little girl on it: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rxjOFd0YNo0/maxresdefault.jpg

In the shirt design I posted, it's a woman's face front and center. This same girl also appears a few time in the RE7 trailer. And finally, I think the song lyrics are directly a reference to her. She is obviously important.

I mentioned above how the shirt and song might tie in, but something interesting. If you play the Aunt Rhody song backwards, you can clearly make out backmasked clock ticking, and in the shirt art there's a clock right next to her face (and the clock stuff in the demo was interesting, too).

It is evident this 'abandoned' plantation isn't really abandoned, this girl seems to be at the heart of it all (who may be the ghost-like girl we see flashes of in the demo), and it may very well be that they isolated and cut themselves off from the world to protect their own secret B.O.W., maybe someone who was once her father or someone close to them, and experimented on her or something happened to her to turn her into a new type of B.O.W. that they've been hiding in their plantation for over 20 years.

Now, this is all interesting, and maybe you agree with me, maybe you don't, but there's more.

Now, there is something very obvious I have purposely neglected to mention the whole time with this RE7 T-Shirt which might hold a lot of clues. It totally looks like a Rorschach test or a butterfly effect image. More so, to get back to our main character, in the trailer at the beginning we hear a voice that says, "She's back...," though to who and what context is a mystery (does it revolve around this woman?). In the demo, we also get cryptic phone messages about choices, memories, the truth, saying goodbye, outcomes we may not expect, and if we'll be ready. The fact that they got the write they did is also interesting, his last and biggest profile work was Spec-Ops: The Line, a game known for its deep psychology and symbolism. Yet he also wrote the two expansions for F.E.A.R., a game about a Japanese-styled 'ghost girl' in a Westernized setting. And in RE7, we see a little girl with blackhair in the trailer and the promotional material, and what may be an older version of her as the ghost in the demo and trailer as well. Switching ages is something that also reminds of Alma from F.E.A.R., who would often switch between her child and adult form. The fact the game seems to be teasing with psychology principles and some sort of girl with ghost-like elements (despite the fact we already know she's not supernatural) who may be at the heart of everything, and the writer is someone who both famously worked on two big projects that have to do with these type of things already, is more than a little conspicuous.

Now, the song for Aunt Rhody also features backmasking. hidden sounds under different layers of the sounds and reversed. The things that stick out would be the clocks ticking (and there is a clock present in the t-shirt, and many did notice the time in the RE7 demo as it were), screams (fitting for the song material if it is about our main woman entity as it seems who was locked away), and then some phrases form when you listen to the song backwards. The ones the clearest to make would be, "In the woods I was-", and there's a part where it almost sounds like it says, "What's up (person), my name's Allie(?)." though if this is coincidence or not is unknown, but they did deliberately backmask part of the song.

One suggestion is maybe the people here are prisoner as a state of mind. Because of their paranoia, they have to keep her prisoner. More so, a big thematic of the T-Shirt is underground, and things that are 'buried'. There's barbed wire and such, but circling the plantation, which implies it's not just meant to keep something out, but something in. Mannequins are also featured in RE7, they may serve a purpose more than, 'Oh, spooky.' There's even a mannequin featured in the CG where we see a centipede crawl over it. Mannequins often represent in dreams and symbolic meaning to mean detachment from reality, emotionally empty, and fear of the unknown or their inner thoughts. They may be trying to contain something, not just the girl, maybe multiple layers of things. We also finally see in the art that things are crumbling, trees are cracking, the ground is giving way, and at the center of the epicenter is the Girl's shadowed face. We come as an outsider, we maybe breach the containment of an outbreak as an in-break. Something that was meant to be buried, but unfortunately brought to light maybe from our character's meddling or something there going past the boiling point, and it all being unearthed.

---

There's a lot more theories I have, but they are a lot less based on what we have, so I will hold back for now. I hope the theory makes sense to you guys, and curious to see how you may agree or disagree with it. We won't know until we know, afterall.

They definitely are building up some female character who seems to have some tragic backstory. The T-shirt again has a woman's face concealed with shadows, the first thing we hear in the Resident Evil 7 trailer is, "She's back..." from the phone.

Not sure if brought up already but anyone think the shadowy girl in the RE7 box art is.. major Revelations 2 spoilers
Wesker? The female Wesker who transferred her consciousness into the body of the little girl Natalia (Barry's co-op partner)? I mean she's gotta be somewhere right? Why not this game? lol

Not caught up on all RE lore but maybe? Seems a little on the nose though. Has to be more complicated than that.

And yeah whatever the ghosts are they'll be a BOW angle to it so not too worried about that.

Fun speculation btw.

Lunafreya

I can definitely see the Umbrella connection, Dusk Golem.

The Plantation house/mansion, could be a hidden Umbrella lab where they did some horrifying experiments with a progenitor prototype virus. We most likely will stumble upon a lab in RE7, I doubt we'll lose that tradition and what is the most sinister looking labs in RE? Umbrella labs, it could also be where we find the tape of Spencer/Wheelchair man.

CAPCOM have been bringing back a lot of Umbrella/Spencer relations in recent games/material after RE6.

RE: Revelations 2
RE: Heavenly Island
Biohazard: The stage
Umbrella Corps (to a degree)

It's obvious that something massive like Umbrella had multiple labs all over the world and a lot of them well hidden, so the world is still sorta stumbling upon them.

as for RE7, the helicopter photo could be that they did something terrible there and it went wrong, Umbrella left the area but kept tabs / monitored the area and as you say people are still paranoid / crazy over Umbrella and never saw the news or anything that it collapsed.

But yeah so exciting! new trailer for RE7 or teaser material (if there's demo2/update/timed lock that unlocks the teaser further) can't come soon enough!

Jawmuncher

What do we even know about that movie beyond Rebecca, Leon, and Chris being confirmed?

That's all we have aside from a motorcycle promotion along with it. At this point with what we know of RE7 doesn't seem like it'll matter too much when it takes place. Since it probably will barely tie into if even at all into RE7. At most I'd expect something like Degeneration which had just a tricell logo at the end.

Bladenic

Is it weird that I personally would love it if Capcom didn't use anything from the actual game to promote the release? I know that's dumb and would never happen, but part of me wishes that they used a spoiler free/viral marketing campaign that revealed nothing about the game itself, like what the gameplay will be, any other locations, or even who we will play as. It would be awesome to just jump into it almost blind.

I know that won't happen, so I'll try my best to avoid media (especially since Capcom loves incredibly spoilerific trailers, like for RE5). I do wonder if there will be another demo that's more indicative of the full game.

TreIII

It's obvious that something massive like Umbrella had multiple labs all over the world and a lot of them well hidden, so the world is still sorta stumbling upon them.

Yeah. It's just funny/sad to think that the BSAA and associated agencies probably can only afford to investigate more credible Umbrella leads, and of course, take care of the "big" outbreaks, while relatively unsubstantiated things about "ghosts in bayous" probably will continue to escape their notice until something worse happened (and by then, it would be already too late!).

Anyway...I'm hoping we get an update about RE7 and/or either of the two movies at Comiccon, next week. Game comes out in January, so that would give them just about 6 months to get marketing of the game underway.

I guess Marty couldn't get up to 88mph on the crowded streets of Raccoon City...

RE3 background artist in Japan: Get me a picture of a typical US car
Researcher: Here you go! (hands picture of a Delorean)

After release

Capcom: We are fans of BttF so put it there as a easter egg.

Dusk Golem

Is it weird that I personally would love it if Capcom didn't use anything from the actual game to promote the release? I know that's dumb and would never happen, but part of me wishes that they used a spoiler free/viral marketing campaign that revealed nothing about the game itself, like what the gameplay will be, any other locations, or even who we will play as. It would be awesome to just jump into it almost blind.

I know that won't happen, so I'll try my best to avoid media (especially since Capcom loves incredibly spoilerific trailers, like for RE5). I do wonder if there will be another demo that's more indicative of the full game.

Well, actually Capcom has said basically what you said already. Will they use absolutely nothing from the game? I don't think that extreme. But like, the two trailers we have, most of the footage was from the demo currently available (like 80% of it), and there's hints another demo will be coming out in September. Capcom have said also they think a big part of horror is the mystery, the unknown, and have said they want to hold a lot of the stuff about the game to their chest and keep their cards to themselves, so they won't be showing too much for release so people can just experience the game itself. Seems the demo's are what they're primarily using to promote the game and use footage from in trailers.

I expect maybe in the month or two before release they might use some in-game footage though, but I think this might be a RE game they don't go super spoilery trailers for like the last few entries.

Dusk Golem

I guess Marty couldn't get up to 88mph on the crowded streets of Raccoon City...

RE3 background artist in Japan: Get me a picture of a typical US car
Researcher: Here you go! (hands picture of a Delorean)

After release

Capcom: We are fans of BttF so put it there as a easter egg.

Yeah, at some point both Marty McFly and Mr Bean were fighting for their lives in Raccoon City.

mini.jpg

It's very evident in the older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games that they watched a lot of movies to make their 'westernized American cities'. Rooms, props, etc., come from the most random of movies in the earlier entries of both cities. Silent Hill famously pulled a lot of Midwich Elementary School from Kindergarden Cop, but less known is that literally almost every store sign and building in Silent Hill 1/2 are signs from various movies, just modeled and modified slightly, some big research done into that. Know something similar was done for RE series, and the thing I recall most is that the room with all the chars in the RPD Police station in RE2/RE3 (where in RE2 you melt the oil painting with the fireplace to get a red jewel) pulls a lot from one of the police rooms in Robocop.

Bladenic

Well, actually Capcom has said basically what you said already. Will they use absolutely nothing from the game? I don't think that extreme. But like, the two trailers we have, most of the footage was from the demo currently available (like 80% of it), and there's hints another demo will be coming out in September. Capcom have said also they think a big part of horror is the mystery, the unknown, and have said they want to hold a lot of the stuff about the game to their chest and keep their cards to themselves, so they won't be showing too much for release so people can just experience the game itself. Seems the demo's are what they're primarily using to promote the game and use footage from in trailers.

I expect maybe in the month or two before release they might use some in-game footage though, but I think this might be a RE game they don't go super spoilery trailers for like the last few entries.

Really? That makes me really excited. Though I really doubt I would be able to NOT play a demo, especially for 5 months haha.

ugh cant wait for RE7. And we have REmake2 on the horizon. I hope they announce RER3 at some point too. It's a good time to be an RE fan.

Top Bottom